Several police departments quell fighting at Boardman mall carnival; one arrested

Published: Mon, May 31, 2010 @ 12:18 a.m.

Staff report

Boardman

A carnival at Southern Park Mall was shut down after large groups of teens began fighting.

Capt. Don Lamping said the fighting began about 10 p.m. Saturday at the Bates Brothers Carnival.

Lamping said he doesn’t know what set off the offenders or how many were involved, but the incident escalated enough to close the carnival for the rest of the evening.

He said one arrest was made but didn’t have the person’s name.

“The first couple of nights were pretty slow, and things got nasty that third night, so [officers] weren’t expecting it,” he said. “You have people with differences, and they come together and decide they want to settle those differences.”

Lamping said two Boardman police officers were stationed at the carnival before the fights.

“We’ve had it happen in the past, and we try to protect against it,” he said.

Lamping said Boardman called for assistance from surrounding agencies, and no injuries were reported.

The carnival was scheduled to continue on the mall parking lot through June 6.

Comments

1Thunderboom(67 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

Well said MFC, bless their little hearts.

2Stan(9923 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

This was just spreading the culture and nothing more . School is out and we are in the growing season . Yep, now there is no school time holding them back . They were just showing the man that the subculture has clout . Those law enforcement sweeps scheduled for the summer will be viewed as an act of war against the subculture .

IT'S ALL GOOD AND CAN ONLY GET BETTER !

3mrblue(983 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

This is just the start of what is going to be a long hot summer. Stop it by arresting the little thugs and then charge them and their parents. If you make the parents accountable, some of the trouble will stop. You must keep the heat on or the trouble will continue, and even get worse.

4harleydog(209 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

Boardman is the suburban hood of Youngstown. It's only going to get worse.

5SkyKing310B(253 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

@mrblue is absolutley right. When law enforcement start holding the parents accountable for the actions of their thugs, many of the participants will be otherwise occupied.

6SkyKing310B(253 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

@USA1- It's just wonderful as long as they keep it NORTH of Midlothian Blvd!

7Lifes2Short(3877 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

Then why don't they take it there houses and settle there differences there instead of acting like the animals they are and fighting in public. You have a beef with someone settle it in there parents homes or out in the woods or somewhere where there are no police and innocent citizens around. Vultures.

8dubfun(174 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

9Stan(9923 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

dubfun :

"Why were people still hanging around at 10 pm? This "carnival" should have been closed and the "patrons" cleared out at sunset or at 9pm at the latest when the stores close. Any later and you're askin' for trouble."

The kids were given a chance to enjoy themselves . Cutting the festivities short would have been depriving them . When trouble starts the best solution is to walk away . This evidently was not done . We don't have enough police resources in Mahoning County to broker every petty argument .

10kornersburgkid(57 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

I ageree with SKY KING. Put up a barricade to keep the thugs North of the boarder--like they do in ARIZONA (only south of the boarder). We don't need that kind of thing in Boardman.

11TheCatfish(1 comment)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

"Boardman A Nice Place To Call Home". I think it still is. I also think that situations similar to this are the parents fault. They need to take a more active role in raising their children. Growing up in Boardman and looking back on it I know that most of the parents had no idea what there children were really up to. Maybe the parents were stressed about the bills coming in or a layoff at work or they really just didn't care. BUT...I think everyone needs to take a step back and look at the big picture from this event. No one was seriously hurt! Be thankful that no one involved decided to pull out a gun and start shooting into the crowd. This situation could of gotten out of hand very quickly. How many parents in Boardman are positive their child isn't carrying a gun? Poorly parented kids and guns aren't just on the southside of Youngstown. They're everywhere. Do your job parents.

12AsNonPCasICanBe(2 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

Good luck charging the parents of these misunderstood and oppressed youth. Most of the parents can't be found, and we most likely are already paying for their upbringing and will ultimately pay for the incarceration.

13UnionForever(1470 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

I have always said let's build a cage around Y-town to keep them inside their city. They have no respect or family moral values at all. This is yet another example of hoodlumism.

14JRBYoungstown(44 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

I like how you morons automatically assume it's people from Youngstown who did this. Is it 2 hard to believe that some spoiled brats from the suburbs who want to act like thugs were the real culprits?

15igotsomethintosay(31 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

Its time for everyone to realize that Youngstown isn't just downtown or deep in the South Side and East Side. Boardman is now the new Youngstown. And all of us who have moved out of Youngstown to Canfield, Poland, Springfield, give it a few more years and these towns will be deteriating as well. I remember when I was a teen, my friends and I couldnt wait until festival time in Youngstown! Our parents would drop us off and then pick us up a few hours later. I wouldnt dream of dropping my daughter off at a festival now and leaving her there! Sad what this place has become!

16VINDYAK(1799 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

A significant event just happened. Local teens and parents have proven you cannot bring them a nice family venue without them destroying it. Gangs are now the rage in our cities and they are driving out all that can be good, which includes shops, jobs, safety and family values.

Violence is the new entertainment in our cities. Our city young people do not want jobs...they want to fight, do drugs, rape women and rob anyone who comes into town. Keep it up, you are doing such a wonderful job, your town will look like Randall Park Mall soon. Randall Park in Cleveland at one time was one of the largest and most wonderful malls in the country. Nothing was finer. Now, it is a ghost town. Shuttered, desolate, shops, restaurants, hotels...all gone. Just like Rolling Acres in Akron. Given up to roving bands of teens, hoods and gangs.

See the story line here and where public conveniences are going? Soon, we will see gated shopping centers outside of town, such as Easton Center in Columbus, where shops, shoppers and all the grounds are protected from these unruley teens and their quest for crime and violence.

If I had it my way, I would arm every shopping member with a taser and advise them to use it at least 3 times on any unruely teen. It is apparent that parents of these "teens" have no clue or desire to control their children and they are placing their "loved ones" at the mercy of the public to bring them up. It certainly would be wonderful to see the public take charge, but we just keep moving to another town because we do not need that in our lives. Sadly, the cost of safety is tremendous, but the reward is beyond words.

17walter_sobchak(1909 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

"Large groups of teens" is not quite enough information to be drawing any conclusions about their make-up. It only leads to speculation. Hopefully, someone who was there will post just who these youths were. Were they gang-bangers form the southside of Youngstown? Seems to me, if they were, there would have been a little gun-play. Or, were these gang wanna-be's from the suburbs or just some unruly high-schooler's acting like idiots, as typically happens at this time of year?

18star8623(6 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

These kinds of things always happen when there is something for ppl to do. I don't understand people want stuff to do in the Mahoning Valley and all they do is ruin it by being stupid. People need to take control of there actions and start acting like normal people. Same things happen with all of the chuch carnivals, its very sad anymore to think that you can't be safe anywhere you go. GROW UP pleople and start acting like human beings

19Silence_Dogood(1341 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

JRBYoungstown you stated "I like how you morons automatically assume it's people from Youngstown ".
I think you might be missing the point of some of these posters, by saying Youngstown what they mean is "BLACK". It is a vailed attempt at political correctness.If it is a black thug, it is assumed that that person is from Youngstown , as if other communities dont have "black thugs".
Another variant is when they state that there is no "daddy" to be found, and mama is on crack and could care less. These are also examples that are a vailed attemt to identify them as "BLACK".
Without the vail I would like to point out that these events at mass "rioting" in our area are exclusively a black phenomenon, Examples would be the troubles that occured at St Luke's,St Charles, The Italian fest in years past (which forced them to move it out of town for several years) ect, ect..
These examples I have been witness to first hand, I have seen these young black thugs running around creating havoc. In the Italian fest example they were chasing each other with guns brandished.
Now I am sure that I will be brandished as a "moron" for pointing these things out but they are examples that I have seen first hand, and in every case it was the young black male that was failing to follow the civilized norms expected by society. These are NOT steriotypes, they are in FACT firsthand events.
A reasonable explanation as to why all of my life experiences at this type of behavior being exclusively a black phenomenon is wanting, and I quess I will have to wait till hell freezes over to get an answer.

20metrodawg(70 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

Funny, but anything that appears to involve African-Americans invokes the most responses. Not calling anyone racist, but...

21onthetown(254 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

silence_dogood:

I will be the first to label you a moron, though not on the basis of any racial commentary. Your spelling, grammar, and typing skills are quite poor.

22northlimadawg(7 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

Myself, my wife and my two kids passed by the festival at about 8:45 Saturday night. The line to get in was from the hand stamp counter all the way out through the entrance. We looked in the festival and it was shoulder to shoulder. I scanned the people standing in line and I counted 4 white. I would guess as I looked around that it was 85-90% black and 10-15% white. Most of what I could see was 14-18 year old groups, not many moms and dads with their kids. We counted 1 sheriff car at the festival and 5 boardman cruisers in the mall parking lot as we left. We also saw at least 2 white families with young kids get out of their car to go into the festival and turn around and get back in their car and leave.

By the time we arrived at home, there was a call of a fight at the festival on the scanner and it quickly escalated to where the officers at the scene could not handle it. Another couple of minutes and all hell broke loose. There were people running all around the parking lots. There were other fights breaking out at Mens Warehouse and in the lot at Chili's. There was a YPD unit chasing someone behind the McDonalds across Market. One person was tasered. From what was on the scanner, Boardman asked for help from Beaver Twp, Canfield, OSP, Mahoning County Sheriff and all south units of Youngstown PD. Also, as the YPD units were leaving and going back into town after 10 pm, there were at least 2 calls of fights in gas stations or other lots on Market Street as the youths were going back home.

23onthetown(254 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

I agree with him regarding the veiled racism in commenting. However I do not agree that the obvious conclusion is always "it was black hoodlums", especially when an incident happens at the Southern Park Mall in Boardman.

I grew up in a predominantly white area, and stupid white teenagers were always getting into stuff like this at fairs, carnivals, etc.

I have to agree with what paulb said earlier:

"No one has remotely identified who these misdoers were. If they were yellow, blue or orange, whether they were from Ytown or Boardman.

Until some more information comes forth it could have been anyone causing a ruckus."

24Rokscout(310 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

Northlimadawg is absolutely correct in his/her depiction of events. There ya have it.

25Silence_Dogood(1341 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

onthetown A few posts back you stated "As a Christian, I completely agree with your statement"
Well let me be the first to throw in your face the fact that you are a HYPOCRITE.
If you did a review of YOUR posts you would find spelling and grammer errors, the difference is I do not claim to be a spelling and grammer cop trolling the internet looking for mistakes to make myself feel superior.
Get a life hypocrite.

26mrblue(983 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

Keep laying off police officers and this type of situation is going to continue all summer long. You need security at these types of doings or are you going to wait until someone gets killed. Like I said before, charge these morons and their parents.

27Silence_Dogood(1341 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

Oh, and sorry for the run-on sentence.

28onthetown(254 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

Silence_Dogood:

Sorry man, I probably should have held off on any personal attacks.

As for my own posts, my spelling and grammar have been close to impeccable. I recall having used a stray apostrophe on a plural several weeks ago. I cringed the second I read that post.

29Silence_Dogood(1341 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

" my spelling and grammar have been close to impeccable. I recall having used a stray apostrophe on a plural several weeks ago. I cringed the second I read that post."

A clear example that you are way to UPTIGHT.
Look thru these past 45 posts and there is hardly a single post that would pass your UPTIGHT standards.
Get over yourself.

30Nunya(1356 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

This is intolerable,..

To include where I'm not racist yet there's no wrong in those of any race citing the race of the culprits as deplorable.

However, it doesn't provide a generalization for the blanket perspective to allege, contend nor believe.

That ALL of that race, gender or age group condones, supports, defends nor conducts themselves in such a manner.

It's an alarming incident that deserves scorn and creates concern. Yet not total race or demographic distrust, dislike or denouncement.

Those youth need to be questioned to find the bedrock for the brawling and duly punished for their partaking in what amounts to as a small riot that endangers others..

Depending upon age their parents should equally be brought into the realm of culpability.

In such ways that the " impetus " not just the incident should be pursued with great effort as to correct it.

It's a universal ruling that if one or their children behave like wild animals among the general public. Actions and measures " have " to be taken to ensure " they're " swift and profoundly handled.

Yet with no undue nor unjust scorn placed upon anyone else on a premise of mere visual likeness.

Come on people as ones that didn't participate and vehemently don't condone acts like what happened there. We're far better than resorting to name calling, finger pointing and stereotyping in blanket generalizations as to damn an entire race.

It may or may not have been click " group and or gang related. However, via it being fisticuffs it's my strong belief that it doesn't have " gang " overtones.

As having dealt with being tasked to track and disburse such before. Trust me it'd have been far more than the still egregious showing we're reading about here.

It sounds like some friction between one unto another culminated into sporadic exchanges that magnified and or added to the initial incident between individuals.

Unfortunately such things happens amongst those that's weak minded spur of the moment mindlessness. Plays upon how impressionable they were to more escalate it than extinguish it.

So I now ask are we of those here that's taken no part in that. Now favoring to escalate it as name callers.

Or extinguish it via the manner we call upon parents, neighbors and public officials to act in manners of non tolerance even how we speak about it.

See in one of those choices one would bear a likeness to partaking in irresponsible, immature, uncivil and of no use accord. With the very indefensible irrational behavior that we're speaking about,.. as brand of just verbal in display.

31Silence_Dogood(1341 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

nunya be careful the grammer police are on the beat.

32JaneJane(1 comment)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

How can Boardman take care of it's own community when all the barely bi-pedal knuckle draggers who flee like gazelles run through it? It'll only be a short time before the dirt spreads to other nearby communities too! Watch out Canfield and Poland! Good luck to everyone in10-20 years! Hello "Little Detroit"!

33leftyompton4life(79 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

The same garbage happened at St.Christine Festival,St.Brendans Festival(RIP) and St.Charles....it is not just specific to Boardman...you get the wrong group of kids together it will happen just about anywhere...malls,amusement parks,schools,etc. It be nice if they just did it in the their backyards instead and stop being nuisances to the public...I remember about 5 years back when I was at the cheap movies "Movies 8" and this happend...it was like the just annoying circus you have ever been too.

34Stan(9923 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

Nunya :

"This is intolerable,..

That being regardless to race, age or gender. Which is to say if they were black youth as some are alleging. There's no call for them to be given any reprieve from maximum punishment for inciting public unrest and disturbance."

BIGOT ! What you are advocating is suppression of expression ! A simple warning would be sufficent . They were acting within the norms of the standards that were taught at home and at school .

35Education_Voter(858 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

At school Stan? I asked a Youngstown Middle School Teacher about the incident, and she told me she heard some students talking about it, not that their friends from Boardman, Austintown, etc. couldn't have been there too.

It was interesting because she was watching a few hundred kids in the cafeteria, and holding selected students with a steely gaze, or a few well-chosen words.
She did not have a gun, car, vest, or taser.

I'm not saying that she could replace the cops after the kids were already wild with excitement. But I didn't see acceptance of misbehavior there.

Two weeks ago, a Vindicator Editor who disagreed with a decision of the Youngstown teachers called them "pathetic." Now, I get that he disagreed with them, and wanted to insult them. But "pathetic" doesn't seem like an apt description for any teacher who lasted more than a year there.

36Stan(9923 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

Yes indeed standards of behavior are taught . Why do some schools have almost no trouble makes while others produce them en masse ? It is all in what they are taught . Their type of behavior is accepted .

37Education_Voter(858 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

"Why do some schools have almost no trouble makes while others produce them en masse ? "

C'mon Stan. We aren't manufacturing kids in the basements of schools.
You can figure out who is producing them.

38atek101(77 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

The anonymity of these opinion posts sure seems to make people exclaim exceptionally ignorant things. I tend to doubt that most would write such things if their names were attached to them.

39Stan(9923 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

Schools along with the parents program the minds of students . The final product is a combination of inputs from both . Standards by which behavior is judged may not be favorable to the student .

40blkpride(186 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

Dear Stan,

CANFIELD, Ohio- Two people were arrested at a Canfield motel on drug and prostitution charges just one week after it reopened as a monastery and outreach facility.

Jenny Dove, 31, and Greg Senediak, 34, were arrested by undercover officers with the Mahoning County Sheriff's department at the Canfield Colonial Motel.

An anonymous informant contacted Canfield police to report that the two had been allegedly selling drugs and soliciting sex from their room at the motel.

The facility had previously been shut down amid allegations of drugs and prostitution under its previous ownership"

Well blkpride I see that you are mad . These two that got busted are friends of yours I take it ?

June 2, 2010 at 10:31 p.m. reply permalink suggest removal
InformationInterests

41Stan(9923 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

So blkpride were these two friends of yours ?

42Valleys_Voice(149 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

To be brief, Youngstown is not limited to the South and East sides. There is still beautiful parts of town such as the West Side and it's wonderful Mill Creek Park, as well as the historical district of the North Side and YSU. Don't generalize Youngstown like it's all bad news. We have many things to offer, it's just a shame we also have many negatives as well. Do your part and maybe we could clean it up for future generations.

43Life888(17 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

Kick people out that fight!

44blkpride(186 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

45columbus1(5 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

As I read this article and comments I have to laugh. I worked on the streets of Boardman for 10 yrs before moving to a large Ohio city and making 4x as much doing the same job that I love. Years ago there was never and shootings or stabbings in the Township where it's signs say: "A nice place to live." Now, shooting and stabbings are common.
Some of my family still live in the Youngstown area and shop at the Southern Park Mall. Many old friends tell me never shop at night or during the weekend. Shop during the day only. It's because of the trash that congrigate there. I don't care what color the "trash" is, trash is trash. Becareful people. Use caution and be aware of your surroundings. I never travel home to the Youngstown area without two things. My Glock and an extra magazine.

46CrestwoodRocks(107 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

Boardman sure needs additional Police Stations especially since they have the big Southern Park Mall. Youngstown Police & the Mahoning County Sheriff deputies should also supervise that carnival that went on. I also do reccommend 1 deputy each from the sheriffs office of Columbiana, Portage, Stark, Summit & Trumbull counties to also supervise that carnival if Youngstown Police & The Mahoning County Sheriff deputies are unable to supervise the Mall Carnival alone.

47Ianacek(909 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

Building aging isn't the only factor affecting neighborhood value . There are plenty of nice neighborhoods in the Valley with 1920's buildings & bad neighborhoods with 1960's buildings .

Neighborhoods deteriorate due to disinvestment on the scale of individual buildings, local neighborhoods & the wider district . Youngstown City accelerated its decline by imposing a tax on the very thing it desperately needed - income . The result - those with incomes fled to the suburbs . Now that Youngstown is starting to generate some jobs , a tax reduction will result in some reversal of the "exodus to the suburbs" trend . At the neighborhood level , owners in co-operation with each other also have the power to reverse trends in tenant quality . Owners , whether owner-occupiers or investors , need to know one another & set standards for tenant quality & building & neighborhood appearance & in a short time their neighborhood & property values will improve .

48Bigben(1996 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

Lombardo you can't run from it it is everywhere.It is in Canfield and Poland as well as Boardman.there is no significant urban amenities out in the boonies-water sewar ect.People come from as far as West Va to shop in Boardman.Like it or not you will not see all the shopping and food options firther out it just won't happen in this day and age-the money isn't there to build like that again.

As for new construction take a look at the new permits - - -i hate to rain on your idea but the new permits to date from Jan 2010 are lower than 2009 which was less than 2008 and so on going back to 2004 for Mahoning county .The new permits were the lowest last going all the way back to 1980 which is as far back as new permits go for online listings.Trumbull set a record low last year since at least 1980.Columbiana's permits last year were the lowest since 1986and one of the lowest since 1980.From Jan until May there have been a grand total of 2 new permits which is a 50 percent reduction of last year's 4 during the same period in columbiana.
i don't see the big home construction boom for this area for a long long time.Boardman is about completely built out now the land simply isn't avaible.

It also doesn't make sense to tear up more and more of what is left our farmland and woods for a less dense totat population.

People must start demanding that the courts crack down on these criminals that is the way to go.expand the prisons in existence and build new ones when necessary.We shouldn't have to keep running away.As we get older down the that won't even be an option for the majority of folks anyway.

In Europe and other parts of the world the buildings last for centuries.here they are 20 years old and they start to fall apart.Cheaply thrown up ,poor design and building qaulity and the big one -they aren't taken care of.

49Valleys_Voice(149 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

Good point Ben. Also I bet Youngstown's new jail downtown outlasts any other building in the area. More need to be build with similar structure and integrity. In addition, I'm happy to see YSU is building a new School of Business (Williamson) to replace the old building with no windows. Drive by it, it looks great! We need more construction like this to add jobs, and a little more prestige to our area.

50Bigben(1996 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

USA1 I know how you feel.A good start is too not put up with the crap that goes on into the evening hours.Call the cops until they get tired of hearing from you.Document everything that happens with a problem or problems in the neighborhood.That is a start.Show solidarity -get neighbors together and on the same page.Thugs like fear so don't show any.I am also a believer in legally exercising the second Ammendment.

51Bigben(1996 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

Valleys-I like what is being done with YSU too.I think the new construction needs to be a rebuild for the lions share .There is a start on the north side.

The general bad attitude of certain city dwellers is depressing.I was driving back from plinking out in southern Trumbull coming home on 680 going thru YTown .There were 3 people in the car in front of me.Out the window comes a softdrink cup then a cup holder and finally the bag.I am no road rager but I had to blow my horn and lay on it.I'm sick of the attitudes.They took off down the highway.I am tired of the lack of respect shown to fellow humans and there own area.
Start enforcing the laws on the books .I am big on giving folks a break .People screw up we are all humans but 2,3, 4 time offenders walking free with no reason not to repeat bad behavoirs.This is unacceptable.

52Bigben(1996 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

Good luck Lombardo .New construction is at all time lows.In fact new construction was the problem that blew up our financial sysetem this last time around.As for boardman 224 is the busiest road in the tri-county area period.
People aren't going to invest in putting a business in the middle of nowhere .They will open on the highly traveled routes which makes sense.

As for Boardman school system it has an excellent rating.There is no open enrollment here.The school has one of the finest bands and orchestras in the country.They even have their own t.v. channel.It wouldn't surprise me if more business is done in Boardman ohio then all other townships in Mahoning County combined.
As for no taxes and the like that won't continue .You can't continue to sewar furter and further out into the boonies - - -good luck on that .As for future communities read agenda 21 .It has already been decided that folks will live in smaller more densly populated areas.
As far as affording to move continually -as I stated when folks grow older that becomes less and less doable.Folks with high paying jobs are always a heartbeat away from losing them as has been witnessed recently.A lot of pension plans and retirement funds went bust recently.If i had a dime for everytime a person said not me I'd be a billionaire.

" Without new construction, all existing structures continue to age and depreciate, resulting in an obsolete and decrepit society. "- - -Bologna.That is completely and utterly not true.There are communities all along the eastern coast that are quite older than anything around here and most folks here couldn't afford to live in them .We have seen that in Youngstown do to a large population below the poverty level and the crime .That is not universally true nor does it have to be the case here if the majority of people didn't take your attitude.

53Stan(9923 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

blkpride :

"No. I don't associate with the white folk. They are your people Stan. The same ones that contribute to the crime in Youngstown."

What an eye popper ! We should arrest more white folk then to eliminate the crime in Youngstown .

54Bigben(1996 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

I am neither liberal nor conservative as both have been bought out by the banks and corporations which run our govt and have for some time.The fact is though what you describe about living in denesly populated areas is on the way.google agenda 21 and see for yourself.I am not happy about all that agenda 21 puts fourth either.

However,I have seen a lot of land over the last 15 years destroyed with homes that people could not afford and with 5-10 acre lots.They are for sale now.

55Bigben(1996 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

I understand your frustration USA1.I'll throw up a couple to the Boss for you tonight.

56Bigben(1996 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

lombardo I'm not jealous .I'm not stuck in Boardman.I am familar with Trumbull county as I hunt there regualrly and part of my wife's family is from there.In my personal opinion Trumbull county isn't exactly a jewel .I am aware of sewaring on Belmont up to Vienna as well as the other areas where it will take place.I don't think that area that is undeveloped along 193 is going to take off any time soon. We inherited a home uopon my father-in-laws death in Trumbull which his widow (not a wonderful woman may live in until she passes).Sewar has been avaible for some time in the area and now it must be connected to the pre existing sewar.I have seen the maps of Trumbull for sewaring so what is your point?I could live in Trumbull now or into the future if I like.422 looks like a bomb went off -there is as much or more empty space percentage wise there as in Boardman.

Liberal - - -lol.That is the first time anyone has called me that.One point of view a political camp doth not make.

I am pro second Ammendment.I am a Christian and I read the Bible and try to practice what is in it but fail to often.
I don't like globalsim
I don't like undeclared wars because it undermines the repulic we are supposed to have but don't have.
I do like the Consttution
I don't like sprawl - -that is wasting land .
I don't like illegal immigration
I don't like rudeness
I do like the peace and stillness of watching the sunrise on an October day while hunting in God's own cathedral.
I like a good intellectual debate
I think both political parties are bought and paid for by the banks/corps so unfortunately either candidate on many large issues at the Federal level brings little difference.

57city_resident(513 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

I guess this has already gone off-topic. But after reading lombardo's comments about new construction, and how suburban sprawl is the only logical way to go, I just want to know where I can find new homes like these out in the burbs:

58city_resident(513 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

Well, nevermind, the links aren't working.

59city_resident(513 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

Nope, can't get links to work.

So, where--in the suburbs--are they building new houses that are as nice as the houses surrounding Wick Park? (just one local example)

60Bigben(1996 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

Lombardo I think Trumbull county is a future ghetto .Take a look at what is coming up Belmont lol.You either live near enough to it or so far out into the boonies you might as well be a hiilrod.I think that is what they call them in Trumbull Hillrods.Oh and depite the sewaring in Trumbull last year was the worst repeat the worst year on record for Trumbull county in their online records for new housing permits :Mahoning county 2009-103 single family units:Jan to April 2010-30 single family units.

Trumbull 2009-39 single family units:Jan to April 2010-14 single family units.

There you go the stats don't lie.Source SOCDS Building Permits.So according to your must have new housing or all becomes ghetto arguement -Trumbull scores much higher on your scale for going ghetto.While your at it you too are loosing population in Trumbull.Enjoy.

61Bigben(1996 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

city_resident - - --Answer :Nowhere.

62Bigben(1996 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

USA1 dismantle our republic: I have to agree with you it sure seems that way.

63Bigben(1996 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

Lombardo -taxes I was up in cortland over the winter visiting my wife's uncle when the big blizzard broke loose.let me tell you i was happy to get back to boardman where there were lights so you could see where yopur were driving and 224 was already plowed out by the time we arrived back home.sometimes you get what you PAY for.Enjoy the weather up there too.

64Bigben(1996 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

Well Lombardo I hate to burst your bubble but there are nice parts to Boardman.As for traffic-that is because Boardman is the center for business and food .422 can't compare and I was up there recently there is a lot and I mean large amounts of space for rent and for sale.We have a higher population in Mahoning than in Trumbull as well.

You have to look at the schools that is what determines a communities value when folks look to move in and I think you will find Boardman has an excellent rating.That can't be said for Liberty for example last time I checked.I know we had a higher rating than Western Reserve last I checked.Austintown does have open enrollment and that means more of the "thugs " from the rough side of town will go there.Anytime you have a highly populated area with lots going on as far as business you will have theft and crime ect that just goes with the territory.It is either that or be in nowhere land.
So thre is more to Boardman than that which is connected to the south side.millcreek Park is absolutely beautiful.And you know if you want to shop in Pa if you live in Boardman -no problem it is just a hop skip and a jump.

As for rentals so what that is going on all over the country we had a huge hit over the last couple of years.If the economy ever really improves signicantly then people will buy the homes that are currently being rented.

65Bigben(1996 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

Lombardo freeway acess is right up 224 in Canfield or if you live at the other end towards Poland no problem.Austintown is turning pretty sour -like I said open enrollment there.

As for Cortland -a nice place to visit but the winters are horrible.It is in no mans land.That was scarry last Dec when there were no lights and no trucks plowing in cortland.i couldn't wait to get back to civilization.

66Bigben(1996 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

The posts show you attacked Boardman, kind of strange since you claim you don't live in Boardman.Why the rage ?

Our schools are excellent.We have one of the best YMCA's in the country which is expanding as we speak.We have an indoor ice hocky rink .Millcreek Golf course is renown for its beauty.Any kind of food is readily avaible with little effort,shopping oppurtunities abound.Millcreek park is oustanding as is Boardman Park for jogging ,hicking and fishing.We have at least 5 gyms.
I don't know you lombardo but from your posts you seem kind of cheap and someone who wants something for nothing and you seem very bitter.I can see someone like you not enjoying all that Boardman has to offer.A boring person with a negative attitude could have a miserable time in the midst of an amusement park.

The problem with moving into rural areas because they are rural is that they don't stay rural for long after development begins.It becomes a frankenstein area with a mix of both and is really neither.If that is someone's thing -so be it.

How many murders have there been in Boardman so far this year?
I have a feeling shop lifting or theft are a more likely crimes.If a person is so inclined they may obtain a concealed carry permit which is perfectly legal in Ohio.

Taxes-You get what you pay for.How do you expect a township to pay for services ?Wave a magic wand and puff .Maybe you like state handouts.We have expenses in Boardman because people choose to live here and we have lots of roads to maintain.Whether you like it or not Boardman has a lot going for it.Calling it a slum won't change are excellent schools and it won't stop construction on our state of the art YMCA.Have you been to the Y?If we were a town of thugs as you suggest how do we have an excellent rating?The two simply don't go together.I would rather live in the area like that than in hooterville sittin on the porch twidling my thumbs enraged over a place with so much to offer.All you seem to do is throw names and negative phrases but offer nothing substantial.
People have choose to live in urban areas since the dawn of agricutlture .Why?So resources could be pulled together and more could be offered to the community.That will not change into the future.More of the earth's population live in urban areas today than in anytime in history.That is a fact.

If a person is anti -social and they are inclined to leave Boardman then by all means feel encouraged to leave our township we are better off without folks like that.As the saying goes don't let the door hit you in the _ _ _ on the way out.Haunt some other place.Peolple that are anti social wil often choose to isolate themselves from the rest of humanity .

67Bigben(1996 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

Columbiana -Buses run out to Firestone pool in the summer.Salem has had its issues recently as had East Liverpool.This isn't a problem folks are going to out run it must be dealt with.You will either deal with it or you will do your business in the ground and drink from a well that only God knows is contaminated or not .

Up in Asthabula the Sheriff told the county your on your own .We are broke arm yourselves was the message to the citizens in Asthabula recently.Asthabula is a rural county -how does that sound?All that glitters is not gold.

68Bigben(1996 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

Actually the judge told the county to arm themselves.How is that for rural living .They are going from 112 to 49 deputies-puff gone.I wonder how those rural taxes are up there?I think it says they are considering a 1/2 percent sales tax bringing them to 7%.Again beautiful place to visit or to hunt,fish or admire when driving thru.Live there - No thanks.

69Bigben(1996 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

lomardo is really angry- - - -Were you burned in Boardman as in bad experience?Do share.Why else would someone who lives elsewhere be so angry?

According to your own posting the Mahoning county sales tax doesn't seem unreasonable.

Think Asthabula will be raising the tax soon or will citizens have to continue to be at the ready ?

You didn't tell me if you liked the Y.I guess by not addressing those wonderful offerings Boardman has we know why you remained silent on them.

I think folks will shop Boardman with or without your ads.
We still don't know what township your in lombardo .I Wonder why ?

70Bigben(1996 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

I'm not in realestate .A lot of folks lost their shirt in the last couple of years.Some folks were flipping and all was well as long as the market was on fire.Others bought when the market peaked.

In 2005 I told everyone who would listen that the bottom will fall out of the artificial boom .People looked at me like I was nuts.I said they are over building -way over building.Simple math will tell you if your building way more homes then there exist peole to fill them then trouble is coming.Anyone with pulse could buy way more than they could afford.

I don't know how much you know about banking but the Federal Reserve is not constituitional.They are a private bank and they sponsored this economic disaster.Geitner was the Pres of the NY Fed when the deregulation took place -long story short he was placed as Sec of the Treasury under Obama.Parties do not matter.The realestate debacle was intentional.I wondered how the banks would make up for the hits they were taking.The Fed made out like bandits as did the big boys while many of the small banks were eaten up.Globalism sucks.

The middle class in this country are being destroyed.Globalism has not done the middle class any good at all.

Boardman is not the only place to be hit with foreclosures.It is out in the outlying areas as well.It is more noticeable in Boardman because there is a higher population density.Fla ,,California ect Nevada, have been hit hard too.

I'm sorry about your freind taking a hit.A lot of people have been hit and not just around here .
I guess where we differ is I hope things improve.If places are forclosed on and there aren't folks around during trying economic times which we are in then I would expect the homes to be rented.better that than sitting and wasting away vacant.Renting out beats vacancies and that goes for crime as well.

If the school district ratings drop here then I'm out.Austintown fought open enrollment and lost .so far we don't have that to contend with in boardman.As far as Ytown wanting to annex-Ytown has been wanting to do that as far back as the early 70s at least.Regional govt is a Ytown dream but so far Boardman has won that fight too.

As for businesses closing -again not just a local phenomenon .We have been in a depression as in the country.

71Bigben(1996 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

"Friends of mine were sold a house in north Boardman for $90k, and now they are sorry they bought it. Now they would be lucky to get $50k for it."(107)

"Attention all Youngstown residents:
Feel free to go to, loiter in, and move to Boardman. It is just as much your area as it is theirs.
Slumlords:

Increase your holdings of section 8 rental units in Boardman. They can't regulate you or stop you. Youngstown wants to license and inspect rental units. Invest more in Boardman, all they can do is an outside property inspection."
(105)

These two qoutes of yours are in conflict lombardo.I know you won't address it because you have been caught either not being much of a freind or you made it up and you want Boardman to go down the tubes so you can get cheap property meaning you maybe a slumlord.If your not than your rantings are senseless.

The only other possibility is that your "friend" is in fact yourself meaning you are "stuck" in north Boardman .

slumlord -Your inspection info on Ytown vs Boardman :State law trumps local laws."Youngstown wants to "do lots of things.

Post (108) You could have just as easily posted pics of the new Planet Fitness on 224 in the Boardman plaza.A new business moving into a former empty building -sorry for the good news.You could have looked at the new construction at the YMCA and across from the YMCA.You could have provided photos of the beautiful hospitals in Boardman.St.El. is growing and has completed an addition.Boardman Park will be making more improvements.

If folks who rent are getting a raw deal then there is enough competion to get a better deal.Landlords will want to make money and that means providing competitive offerings .They will also screen folks carefully so their properties aren't destroyed because it is their best interest to do so.

As for buying in Boardman -now is the time.If prices have fallen in Boardman then you could buy a lot of house for reasonable and still get excellent schools.Only a person of questionable intelligence would pay more money for less house and either the same school rating or of a lower rating.Now that is a rip off.

"Desireable places"-The places and reasons I gave for preferring Boardman over the others stand.If you would rather live in a county for example "Asthabula" where the judge tells its citizens your on your own ,arm yourselves because we are broke -go for it.If folks want to run out into a rural area and poop in a hole in the ground and drink questionable water and put miles on the car it is your health and wealth.

72Bigben(1996 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

Traffic =people=business.
No traffic/traffic = less business or no business.Enough said on that.

422 looks like a bomb went off it is a hole.

New development = I already showed you where residential permits are down in Trumbull and less than Mahoning by far.Last year was Trumbulls worst year on record since at least 1980 but the online records only go back to 1980.

Walmart is one of the scurges of this country.Cheap junk gets dumped here from China-you know the rest and all the implications.I won't eat Walmart food their meat is disgusting with much of it injected with sodium.

I will grudgingly shop there for ammo because the prices of ammo have gone thru the roof.They don't have some of the ammo I use.Once in a blue moon someone with some knowledge of sporting goods will be avaible but that is rare at any of the Walmarts I have been too.I'm lucky if anyone is there to wait on me at all.They implement the anyone can serve any customer equally poorlyconcept because knowledge of product is an unecessary expense.

Roads -224 gets reurfaced soon .The roads have been better maintained here since a certain element no longer cheats on the paving.

If you shop giant Eagle you get a better deal on their gas.Gas is overpriced everywhere - the days of competition and small stations have been gone for some time .

now.http://www.vindy.com/news/2010/jun/20/harsh-cost-cutting-could-be-store-lawrence-county/?newswatch
Mercer County shares a border with Lawrence County.The United Staes shares a border with Mexico too.

I typed in Hermitage Pennslvania and Boardman Ohio and according to the demograhics at wikipedia only 5.2 % of the population was below the poverty line in Boardman while Hermitage was at 8.2 %.Boardman scored higher on every measured income level.

Which township did you say you lived in ?You may be creative if you wish.

Chryslers has had their share of problems haven't they?People hadn't bought many new cars due to the economic downturn I think that has been well documented.

Chanting a slogan doesn't make it true the earth is round.

73Bigben(1996 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

Your caught !!!!!!! lol !

Hmmm ...which statistic I provided is a lie in post 112?

You can't answer the above question because you trapped yourself ! This is way too much fun.Bash on.

I can't wait until the new weight room at the YMCA is completed can you ?

Not moving.Planet earth is round. Long truth,long live Boardman.

74Bigben(1996 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

The earth is round.

75Bigben(1996 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

"As long as the 2000 census data is used, Boardman looks good."-Your making progress.

"The bank crisis was caused in part by swindling real estate agents who sold people homes at overinflated prices."- - -

No they didn't cause it any more than a car causes a collision or funeral homes make people die.I don't have a dog in that hunt but real estate agents sell homes they may not be awake to all the political intrigue if you catch my drift.All they know is sell or someone else will.I don't think they had crystal balls.It probably made sense to them at the time just as it made sense to the buyers.

Remember the country was high as a kite flipping ,stock market flying high - - -all artificial.I said this won't last it can't it is nuts.There aren't enough people to fill the homes being built.

A friend's mom told me of her brother in Chicago was buying a lot of house out in Chicago with an interest only loan .I said I don't think that is intelligent.She said oh he will sell it before the interest goes up.I said what if he gets caught ?No answer.That was in 2005 at the peak.That was the mentality at the time.Agents don't allow the intrest only loans this goes up to the big banks that were bailed out.They made a killing all the way around.Any profits that realestate folks made are long gone.

-Deregulating by Mr. Geitner and company caused it.But hey he is Sec of the Treasury now so he must be a great guy and did a great job while at the NY Fed..It was designed by the Fed.Most all markets were over inflated by varying degree.

76Bigben(1996 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

A bunch of kids get into a fight at a carnival-wow ! That has never happened anywhere else around the area before-come on.No one was killed .No one was shot .For crying out loud there were"no injuries" . Repeat no one was hurt.
Ooh ,ooh my goodness can you believe it kids fighting at a carnival.OOH I'm absolutely petrified.

Swimming at the YMCA was so refreshing tonight.It was packed but everyone was polite .They were down right friendly.Not a sour puss in the place. Just folks having a good time .Nothing like this like a cold Handels ice cream to top off an evening like this.

It looks like your negativity hasn't hurt the Y or Handels that is for sure.You need to take a dip lombardo it might relax and reinvigerate you .

77JRBYoungstown(44 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

Some of you people are ridiculous COLUMBUS 1, Columbus has its fair share of Ghettos, I've seen them, and most are worse than Youngstown. Enjoy paying 1,000 dollars for a 1bedroom apartment you tool.

78ohdrama0901(53 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

As I read the comments I really get agitated becasue one; any and everybody can go online and post remarks and make really bold statements because you are anonymous. There are some really racist people on these sites and that is why I usually just read them and laugh because I know that none of you cowards would actually go up to a person in Youngstown or any other place and say what you post on here to a person's face or you would already predict your outcome. God Bless the cowards, racists, and people who actually like to blame Obama for everything wrong going on in their pathetic lives. As far as welfare, section 8, and food stamps; check your stats because whites make up the major recipients of these services.

79ohdrama0901(53 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

@Censoredship you can post what you want but that don't make you correct. Whites are becoming the minority and Hispanics are the fastest growing race in the USA and whites still receive the largest number of assistance from the governer for all of you people who want to blame Blacks and Hispanics for the problems of the world saying that they act ignorant because of their economic status. It's fine to blame this and that on a race but from what I gather Youngstown is a city that always thrived on criminal activity and was a city of corruption in case your memory has failed and it wasn't the black people who were corrupting things because there weren't many who had a hand in the governing of that area. Let's not forget about the racketeering and activities of such that made Youngstown what it is today. You had corrupt judges, police officers, and politicians who are the biggest criminals who used these thugs as you call them, to do their dirtywork and guess what; monsters were created. They didn't live within Youngstown they lived in Boardmand, Struthers, Austintown, and what have you. You can call me welfare recipient of whatever makes you feel good because again, your sitting behind a computer so I can take that and LOL because I sit in my office and I pay people like you; taxes and medicare.

80ohdrama0901(53 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

Everything that happens in Youngstown is always becomes a race issue when in fact it is not. You have bad parenting and obviously no resources in that city that is efficient. The police in Youngstown could crack down and curtail some of the gang banging and shooting but they feel that they would rather sit back and let them kill each other. It's okay, but don't dare say anything when you know as well as the next person does that this is what is the case. Noone can tell me that the police over there can't suspend some of this activity going on over there by doing what needs to be done to get it under wraps and take the city back. I don't have time to blame other races on my problems because that would just be plain stupid and doesn't solve much at all. The more and more you want to blame a race for your problems the more problems you will have because you can't think outside your little box. I don't see color when I deal with people. I focus on your lifestyle, the way you think, and how you present yourself because everybody has something that that they can and have contributed to the world. If you are so agitated by blacks and HIspanics then take your prejudice self and move out and the sticks where you don't have to be affected.

81dbarnett714(7 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

@BIGBEN,, TO COMPARE CORTLAND/BAZETTA TO BOARDMAN IS TO COMPARE APPLES AND ORANGES,, CORT/ BAZ IS OF COURSE MORE RURAL AND BOARDMAN URBAN-SUBURBAN...AS FAR AS THE SNOW, LETS BE FAIR, WE GET ALOT MORE LAKE EFFECT UP HERE, AND THE SHEER AMOUNT OF SNOWFALL WE RECIEVED THIS YEAR WOULD BE DIFFICULT FOR ANY COMMUNITY TO KEEP UP WITH!! AS FOR 422 VS 224, YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY CORRECT, 422 STRIP CANNOT COMPARE TO 224 STRIP, PERIOD,,, MANY VACANT BUILDINGS ETC IN EASTWOOD MALL AREA...TRUMBULL DOES, HOWEVER, HAVE THE THREE BEST SCHOOL DISTRICTS ACADEMICALLY IN THE AREA... LAKEVIEW, HOWLAND, AND CHAMPION.. THE THREE WORST ARE Y-TOWN CITY, WARREN CITY, AND NILES CITY... BUT BOARDMAN IS ALSO VERY GOOD,,