‘The Speedway’

Published: Mon, May 31, 2010 @ 12:01 a.m.

Fairway Drive in Canfield has become a raceway for speeding motorists

By Elise Franco

efranco@vindy.com

Canfield

Some residents fear that Fairway Drive has become a raceway for speeding motorists.

Carolyn Stoneburner’s house sits at the corner of Fairway and Barber drives, and she said it’s not uncommon to see cars flying by on the long stretch of residential road where the speed limit is posted at 25 mph.

“They speed like demons around here,” she said. “It’s always been an issue.”

Stoneburner, who has lived in her township home 25 years, said she and other neighbors who walk or run along the street have almost been hit by cars.

“It’s a problem for those of us who try to walk and those who have dogs,” she said.

“Several times, we’ve had to jump up into yards.”

Don Brothers of Fairway Drive learned the hard way about the dangers of speeding cars after his great dane puppy died in April. The 150 pound dog was struck and killed by a neighbor Brothers said was driving too fast.

“[Czar] ran out in the road after a squirrel. That’s no one’s fault, just the way life is,” Brothers said.

“But in a 25 mile-per-hour zone, where everyone knows there are two big black dogs, [the neighbor] should have done a better job.”

Brothers said he’s heard people call Fairway Drive “the speedway,” and now he understands why.

“Once I started paying attention, I noticed there is a bit of a speed problem,” he said.

“It’s like all things in life: Who’s got a conscience?

“I go down the street slower than I used to because I don’t want to hit a dog or a child or a person.”

Canfield Trustee Marie Cartwright said township trustees have never received any formal complaints to the township hall or during meetings, but she’s glad the board is now aware of potential speed problems.

“What we can do immediately is advise the [Mahoning County] sheriff’s department to take a closer look at Fairway during patrols,” she said.

“Now that we’ve been made aware of it, I will indeed talk with the sheriff’s department and ask if they will take some additional time and patrol that area more thoroughly.”

Another long time resident, John Elias, said though it’s sad that Brothers’ dog was killed, he’s glad it wasn’t a child.

“I feel bad for Mr. Brothers. His dog was a nice dog,” he said.

“I just hope to God it’s not a kid some day.”

Elias suggested the township look into speed bumps to slow cars on Fairway, but Cartwright said it’s not a plausable option.

“The problem with speed bumps is when you’re plowing snow, the blades would be hitting them,” she said.

“I’m not sure if that’s an alternative that would work.”

Elias said whatever the solution, something needs to be done.

“I don’t know if people are just ignorant to the speed limit or in a hurry to get home,” he said.

“But it’s uncalled for.”

Comments

1ts1227(137 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

Seems like a bunch of finger pointing.

The one gentlemen says his dog running in the road is "no one's fault... just the way life is", but there's no mention of the dog being on a leash or chain. If the dog was running loose, then it is not "just the way it is".

Sure, the cars need to slow down, but if in fact the dog was running loose at least realize that there was another problem besides the fast car.

2dubfun(174 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

Take the Canfield patrol car speed trap that sits at the fair entrance on Fairground Blvd and move it to Fairway (because I use Fairground almost daily!). That would give me a break and help the folks on Fairway. Or do what they've been doing in Salem; post an empty cruiser at dangerous intersections or in areas where speeding is a problem. It's a riot to watch people hit the brakes not knowing that the cruiser is unoccupied!

3UnionForever(1470 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

Leash your dog or put in the invicible fence if you don't want your dog killed. Dogs that chase cars will always get it in the end and it's the owners fault. A few days of extra pastrols will eliminate the problem and raise some revenue for Canfield as well.

4GTX66(343 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

My God, call in the National Guard. This can't be happening in "Canfield"!

5AtownParent(562 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

The dog chased a squirrel into the road. The owner is under no obligation to have his dog leashed in his own yard nor is he at fault that his puppy was chasing something it found interesting. It was a terrible accident. However, as a resident on a street that is full of children and pets, I am more aware of what is in the yards of my neighbors to be careful of those around my home. It is only common courtesy. Love thy neighbor.

6blkpride(186 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

all hell is breaking loose in klanfield. yes, call out the national guard before the riots start.

7CompMan(125 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

Sounds like a human interest story that should have remained in the Vindy's Canfield Neighbors edition. The first 25 tickets will most likely be to the resident of this street. Front page garbage.

8valleyred(1097 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

I have family in that development and I never noticed any speeding, but then again I don't live there either so I would not know.

I believe this problem occurs in every residential development, not exclusively to Fairway in Canfield.

9walter_sobchak(1905 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

dubfun,
That portion of Fairground Blvd. is in the City of Canfield, Fairway Drive is in Canfield Twp., which does not have their own police dept., so they rely on the sheriff for law enforcement.

blkpride,
Yes, Canfield was once the center of the Klan activity in Mahoning County, but that was ages ago. You know, we actually have a Roman Catholic church in the city that I, and other catholics attend. We also have a liquor store and several fine restaurants that serve booze. There is also a black family that is in my neighborhood and many other black families. There are also many families from foreign countries such as India, Pakistan, Egypt, and Iran. There are Sikhs that wear a turban. I would venture to guess that there will be more black families moving in with the transferees to GM Lordstown. The Klan? Please, its old history. If you can afford to live in Canfield, move in.

Here's the scoop, people. The City of Canfield PD is always sitting on Routes 224, 46, and 62, which are the main thoroughfares through our city. This is a deterent to unsafe driving on these busy roads. Drive unsafely, you will be ticketed. There are also many local streets that are used as cut-thru streets around the heavy traffic areas, such as Fairground Blvd., Callahan, Brookpark, Herbert. These local streets are clearly marked 25 mph as they are heavily residential. They are not 5 lane highways marked 25 mph as in Poland. No doubt that the police sit on these streets with the distinct reason of catching speeders that are avoiding traffic. We don't need a kid hit by the car. But, here's the thing about the police: it's no big secret! Everyone knows, when you hit the city limits of Canfield, slow down!

10BillyBob(92 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

This street is in Canfield Township, not the city, only sheriff patrols protect that area, it is out of Canfield patrol’s boundaries.

I drove by the house where the dog got hit, the family had 7 individual signs lined up in their yard by the street, the 7 signs combined read: "DRIVE FASTER, KILL ANOTHER DOG, [NAME OF DOG] KILLED BY [NAME OF THE GUY WHO HIT THEIR DOG] (I can't remember the name of the dog on the sign & I don't want to write the name of the guy who hit the dog).. Each sign was lit up by a spotlight and there was a memorial for the dog.

People do speed over there like crazy and this could have been avoided if they would slow down, but I think it's more the owner's fault then the speeder. If my dog ran out & got hit THAT WOULD BE MY FAULT - I know dogs run after things so I put them on leashes and do whatever it takes to avoid them running into the street. I feel bad for the family, but when it’s just as much your fault as the driver, why would you put the driver’s name on a sign in your yard? Why not have your name too?

11ts1227(137 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

ATownparent, The owner might not be "obligated" to tie up his dog by any leash law, but if you live on a somewhat busy road and let your dog wander about the front yard you are assuming some risk. This guy refuses to assume any responsibility, which is both unreasonable and wrong.

12theoldwrench(243 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

If people have to keep jumping out of the way speeding is not the only problem plus some walkers like to walk well out in the roadway.

13havinmysay(155 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

I'd have to agree with the consensus here: This is not news and speeding occurs everywhere. I live on a corner lot with a four way stop. People, usually neighbors, breeze through it at high rates of speed every day. You can't have cops everywhere.

To the person who said that the man is under no obligation to leash his dog on his property, you're right. However, he is under an obligation to make sure his dog does not leave his property. A dog running in traffic can cause a pretty serious accident.

All it takes is a little common sense, folks.

14daneowner(2 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

as a dane owner since age 5 I know that many great danes can be very fast once they get going and very difficult to slow. I feel for this owners loss of his wonderful dog but a loose dane and car traffic is asking for trouble. The dog has passed, how much damage was done to the neighbor's car. I can imagine. My danes typical weigh 150 lbs, it would be like hitting a deer.

15BillyBob(92 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

Read my post above - what does everyone think about the signs in their yard? Especially including the name of the driver?

16ANTIYOUNGSTOWN(241 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

If thats the way life is, then why put signs in your yard calling out the person who hit your dog?

Maybe he should have put a picture of the squirrel for making his dog run out in front of the car!

The only time people drive slow there is to look at the Christmas lights.

17ANTIYOUNGSTOWN(241 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

Friends of my daughters told me about the signs. I had to drive past to see them myself.

The signs were uncalled for. Sounds like there are other issues there. More than just hitting a dog.

I`m sure there are lawyers involved at this point. The neighbor is probably going to sue for libel.

18daneowner(2 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

Was this story newsworthy enough for the front page of today's Vindicator?Also, the owner of the dog was interviewed for this story. Was the driver given a chance to comment or offer his position? The dog should have been leashed...Period.It was a misfortunate incident/accident so why are fingers being pointed?

19maxi(73 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

While I believe all streets should be safe for pets, children, and adults, I am a bit surprised that speeding motorists on Fairway Drive was a front page story. So many of us in the Mahoning Valley deal with speeding motorists on our residential streets every day. The right thing to do is report it to your local PD. Our neighborhood also does our own "watching". We look out for each other, and that includes speeding motorists. Report it folks. If it's not documented, it didn't happen. If the police see a trend in complaints, then they can readjust their patrols.

Sorry to hear about this gentleman's Great Dane ...how sad.

Our dogs roam in our fenced-in back yard. Anywhere else they are leashed. I can't risk their safety should they see another animal and take off.

20Owlguin(49 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

Blaming someone else for hitting your dog is just wrong. Dogs are animals and people are here to protect them, and the first form of protection is a leash. If the dog happened to get loose then it was an accident. If the driver was speeding, then both were at fault, and again, it was an accident. The neighbors need to get together and ask the city or township to put speed bumps or traffic control measures in if speeding is that much of a problem. That would serve a more useful purpose than blaming someone.

21henryviii1509(274 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

A friend spent the entire Memorial Day weekend, helping me fence in a 1/2 an acre for my dogs because i caught them in the road once. I would never forgive myself if a dog of mine was either hit and killed on the road, or, caused an accident in which a person was hurt or killed.

22joebag09(251 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

Even at 25 miles per hour the dog would have gotten killed had it "ran" out in front of a vehicle. This was an irresponsible dog owner, PERIOD!

23Maggie_Pentz(86 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

And here I thought that this was the point of starting all of these "Neighbors" spin-off papers...so that I don't have to see suburban interest stories like this in my paper anymore.

If they don't want to read about our problems in Youngstown, I certainly can't be bothered with theirs.

Hmph...

24toddfranko(99 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

Vindy readers:

It's ironic to see many of you pick on us at The Vindy for the worthiness of the story ..

Then you wax on about dog safety, speeding in neighborhoods, police coverage, pedestrians, leashes, etc.

That's why we elevated this story to this level — so that others can talk in some way about the topics involved in this incident — and at the launch of summer and all sorts of different driver/child/family/warm weather activities.

We could have done a boiler plate story about summer activities & safety, and talk to 3 police chiefs and to AAA.

Instead, we located an incident and saw that it could be a catalyst for a greater discussion.

Thanks,

Todd Franko
Editor

PS: We were unable to reach the driver, thus we left him unnamed.

25BillyBob(92 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

Todd,
I agree that this is a newsworthy article. You should have included the signs these people put in their yard - I find them the most interesting (and controversial) part of this situation. When I saw the signs with the drivers full name on one, I told multiple people (which then lead to them driving to see them too).

26theguins(169 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

Speed cameras anyone???

27ANTIYOUNGSTOWN(241 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

Friends tell me that the dogs ran free in the neighborhood and I hear a libel case may be pursued by the driver since Mr. Brothers posted his name in public.

What started out a a safety story may turn out to be a neighborhood spat.

Todd hit gold if all this is true. Now you can do a follow up story!

28CompMan(125 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

Todd, thank you for your explanation. Nice to have an editor take an interest, Guess I was a little snarky since I just received my Sunday paper today. Since I re-read the hard copy of your piece of just trying to sell newspapers I finally got the message. One of your 70%.

29djme(3 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

Paulb, Your mom is calling you...youre late for dinner, you better head upstairs before it gets cold

30PXGhost(51 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

Yeah. Lets bring the Sheriff's out. It's not like they lost 86 deputies... and who cares if the HIGH CRIME areas are patroled (that's just dangerous)! Lets just station a Deputy and make a speed trap in an otherwise calm neighborhood because neighbors like walking in the street.

Here's some math for you: The average human is under 200 lbs. and the average car weighs in around a few tons. Start walking on the grass!

31TB(1167 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

How about some sidewalks? Put in sidewalks so people and dogs don't have to be in the road.

Put in a couple four way stops signs as well. It's a no brainer.

32GTX66(343 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

FWIW, A dog owner is responsible for his or her pet no matter if it is on his/her property. The dog has to be restrained preferably on a leash. Don't blame the driver or the dog. The fault lies with the owner of the dog!

33L0L(660 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

Antiyoungstown, the comment about the squirrel was pretty funny. I laughed out loud.

Atownparent, on the contrary. Every town has its own leash law. Dog owners are required to keep tehir dogs either on a leash or fenced in.

Billybob, noy sure how I feel about the signs but it is definitely not a legal matter. The guy driving the case has no libel suit. Read the constitutions first amendment. No damages were caused or could be provided. No case.

34dasani1971(22 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

This would never happen in poland.

35NilesOhio(718 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

I know many won't agree, but I find that 25mph zones are absurd. They're only 5mph more than a school zone! I average more than 25mph on my bicycle.

30-35mph should be the minimum speed limit I realize that most people exceed that, but practically everyone exceeds a 25mph speed limit, especially if the street is more than 100 yards long.

I live on a street that isn't busy, but I still make my kids play in the back yard. It's just common sense if you have cars going by out front.

36leftyompton4life(79 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

I agree with Niles. Speed limits should be atleast 30-35mph on residential streets. Streets are for driving and parking on,not for playing in.