Sorry, no featured jobs currently.

Struthers man sues Rite Aid, pharmacist

Published: Fri, May 28, 2010 @ 4:20 p.m.

YOUNGSTOWN — A Struthers man has sued the Rite Aid pharmacy chain, alleging that an unidentified pharmacist at its store at 4914 Youngstown-Poland Road dispensed the wrong prescription medicine.

Instead of dispensing Acyclovir, which his doctor prescribed for treatment of his shingles, the plaintiff, John Haas of East Parkcliff Avenue, said in his lawsuit the pharmacist negligently gave him the painkiller, Vicodin, in a bottle labeled as Acyclovir on April 16, 2007.

The suit, which seeks more than $25,000 in damages, was filed this week in Mahoning County Common Pleas Court and assigned to Judge Maureen A Sweeney. A spokeswoman at the chain’s Camp Hill, Pa., headquarters, said company policy is not to comment on pending lawsuits.

Comments

1Stan(9923 comments)posted 4 years, 7 months ago

The pharmacist couldn't read the doctors hand writing . Vicodin should have wiped out the pain of shingles . I wonder what kind of injuries John Haas incurred ? Vicodin drug is injested by thousands daily in Youngstown with no complaints .

2Jake(112 comments)posted 4 years, 7 months ago

Shingles? I had shingles and the only medicine I used was calamine lotion for the discomfort. I would've been happy to have had some vicodin.

3DDUNCAN525(9 comments)posted 4 years, 7 months ago

Why is this news? It took place in 2007!

4Lifes2Short(3878 comments)posted 4 years, 7 months ago

Another person trying for a quick payday. "suffered unspecified injuries" would like to know what injuries he suffered? Unspecified? He don't know?

5havinmysay(155 comments)posted 4 years, 7 months ago

You people know nothing of this man's other health issues. All we know is that he was supposed to get meds for shingles and got Vicodin. Vicodin is a very strong narcotic and some people cannot and should not take it. Taking it while being on other meds can be dangerous.

Rite Aide is notorious for this sort of thing. They did the same thing to my mother. We caught it before she took it, but they gave her a heart pill instead of her blood pressure med. Rite Aide has caused deaths and serious injuries by giving out the wrong meds before.

It's amazing how you people always blame the victim in situations like this. I'm glad he's suing. It may save someone's life in the future.

6FormerYtowner(96 comments)posted 4 years, 7 months ago

db2,

I sure am glad I am not one of your patients. Having a medical condition as I do, certain medications can kill me. Since you feel dispensing the wrong medication is acceptable, whether it causes harm or not, is a testament to your ability to practice safe medicine.So, why don't you take "Mr. Shingles's" happy meal and get a real job.

7havinmysay(155 comments)posted 4 years, 7 months ago

Vicodin is not on par with Tylenol w/ codeine. Both are opiates and are by no means harmless to everyone.

Please mail your medical degree back to the mail order school you purchased it from.

Quacks like you, and your counterparts in the retail chain pharmacies are dangerous. Unless you are this man's doctor you cannot say what effects he had from getting the wrong medication. You don't know if he was allergic to Vicodin or if it interacted with another drug he is on to cause problems.

I wonder how many people you've killed? All of you quacks stick together. I'm not surprised you'd rush to Rite Aide's defense.

Like I said, I hope he wins. It may save someone's life.

8Lifes2Short(3878 comments)posted 4 years, 7 months ago

"After ingesting the Vicodin, Haas said he suffered unspecified injuries, had to seek medical care and incurred financial obligations."

Tell me why he waited 3 years to sue? 3 YEARS is a long time and if he took one Vicodin and it caused all that 3 years ago, wouldn't you sue right after it happened?

9sistersun(49 comments)posted 4 years, 7 months ago

Anything that's taken for pain that's prescribed by the Doctor can be addictive and have many side effects.if it is mixed with other medications it can and will have some sort of effect.I've never had Shingles but I here they are painful.I totally agree with havinmysay.Oh,med aires are made all the time,I've seen it happen.I'll wait three more years to get paid..............

10Stan(9923 comments)posted 4 years, 7 months ago

It will be interesting to see what John Haas is awarded . Jury members will no doubt have family and friends taking Vicodin with no ill effect . They will wonder what makes John Haas so special other than a need for some moolah .