Greatest Golf Holes: While we picked YCC No. 10, check out a reader's top holes

Published: Fri, May 28, 2010 @ 2:05 p.m.

The Vindicator and Farmers National Bank are into Week 2 of the Greatest 18 Golf Holes in the Valley.

While we offered our pick -- No. 10 at Youngstown Country Club -- another golfer piled on with his selections. Click here.

Our selection — No. 10, YCC — has drawn some react:

Bucknut: So far I love the first two holes. I have played #9 at MIll a number of times and it always presents a new challenge. Jonah, as far as I am concerned you could have picked any hole from Mill Creek. That course is amazing. It is where I (and i'm sure countless others) learned to play the game.

The Watchdog: I want to know what happened to JJ"s game at YCC. I know number ten plays into the wind but to hit a 235 yard drive to leave 175 in is pretty poor for an ex YSU all conference performer.

Greatest 18 blogger Jonah Karzmer replied to the two golfers, and has some of his own YCC No. 10 insight:

"I personally think (YCC, No. 10) is one of the top 3 hardest par fours in the area. Kind of like playing pool, it seems like each shot hit on this hole is to simply set up the next."

"Number 10 at Youngstown is another classic Walter Travis/Donald Ross par four. As mentioned with last week's hole, the tee shot on this difficult hole builds on the "visual tricks" that Donald Ross holes present."

Do you agree or disagree with Jonah? Join the banter on vindy.com. Click here.

Comments

1tkytown(43 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

Number 9 on Mill Creek's south course is a challenging par 4 from the white tees and from the blue tees impossible for the average golfer to reach in regulation. Putting on 9 is not much of a problem. Number 10 at YCC is a "no brainer" as only two near perfect swings will get you on the green in regulation and once on the green the putting surface is treacherous. More three putts than two putts on this green.

2Hillbillyheartache(20 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

they should create a public and private club list

3bucknut09(13 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

Hillbilly - maybe you can make your own list and share it with us.

4tkytown(43 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

some other holes to consider: Copeland Hills #10, Salem Hills #16, Flying B #12, Yankee Run #18, Oak Tree CC #16, Pine Lakes #8, Lake club # 13, Candywood # 12, Firestone Farms # 5, Kensington # 7, Deer Creek # 13, Squaw Creek CC # 6, Reserve Run # 18

5Hillbillyheartache(20 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

buck nut

I'd like to try to do that, its a lot of research. I didn't mean that I don't respect the list by the way. I know whoever made this list did a ton of research. The idea of two list just allows people who don't belong to private to relate to the holes. Happy Golfing

6Thewatchdog(25 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

I have to believe number 10 at Flying B and number 15 at Riverview would be on the list eventually. I have made a 2 at #10 at flying B all the way up to a nine on the hole. The second shot is very difficult. The snake hole at riverview requires three accurate shots to reach the green with the Mahoning river in play for all of them. I have seen some big scores on this hole.

7toddfranko(97 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

Mr. Watchdog:

Please do not attempt to influence Jonah or The Vindy as to the holes on this list.

Unlike local politics, the purity of the "18 Greatest" list is something that cannot be bought. (But ... if you have an opening for fourth at Lake Club, we can talk ...)

Each week, we'll unveil a hole, and we also tease to next week's hole.

As for Flying B and Riverview, I cannot confirm nor deny the existence of those courses on our list - yet.

Todd Franko
Vindy Editor and "18 Greatest" guru

PS: Jonah went through rigorous background checks to be part of this group.