City requires landlords to register properties

Published: Wed, May 26, 2010 @ 12:07 a.m.

By DAVID SKOLNICK

skolnick@vindy.com

YOUNGSTOWN

Rental-property owners will be required to register their properties with the city and pay an annual fee.

Under the proposal, owners will pay $20 per unit for a rental-property license. If the property is a multifamily dwelling, landlords will be charged $20 for the first unit and $15 for additional units in the structure.

Letters to property owners in Youngstown will be sent Tuesday. They have until June 30 to register with the city.

The rental units will be inspected by the city at no charge. If the units aren’t in compliance with the city’s requirements, the owners must make repairs and have a follow-up inspection within 60 days. That second inspection fee is $50.

If the unit fails a second inspection, owners must pay $100 for every follow-up inspection.

Also, landlords who rent units without a valid rental license face a fine of up to $100, according to the rental-property registration regulations.

The city is responding to an increase in the number of rental properties over the years and ensuring that renters are afforded safe homes, according to a fax sent Tuesday by city council.

Council members and Mayor Jay Williams were to discuss the program at a 12:30 p.m. press conference today.

The city also will have public meetings on the program.

The mayor said he is “aware that there are many responsible landlords doing business in our city.”

The registration program will “discourage those [who] have not been good stewards to their tenants or the neighborhoods,” Williams said.

The city hired Maureen O’Neil for $40,050 in October 2009 to develop and implement the registration program. Her contract expires March 31, 2011.

The city has talked of a rental-property registration program for several years.

Comments

1SkyKing310B(253 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

Looks like the mayor and city council are back to politics as normal- The good old Democratic way- create a government job and create a tax or a fee to pay for it-

Right JAY?

2burford(95 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

How about the homeowners who do not maintain their properties? Are they going to be required to register their homes and pay a fee?

3UnionForever(1470 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

Revenue raising at it's best. Another Mayor Jay specialty - Tax & Spend! Thank God I don't own any rental property in Y-town.

4laddjd(15 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

I think this is great way to make people more responsible for what they own.
Campbell should follow this plan.

5dd933(226 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

Some people will complain no matter what the city does. If they let the properties continue to decline the skykings and unionforevers will ridicule them and now they do something to stop the blight and they are complaining about that. Why don't you guys move where the government suits your tastes?
...like Iran...or Arizona.

6grapejuice(9 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

Hooray! This has been too long in coming. To those of you who think this is a bad idea, try living next to rental property like I do. The landlord next to me thinks that he has no responsibility for his property, once he's rented it!!!! (He actually told me that!) Thank you Youngstown - we need this.

7rex(62 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

The largest source of revenue for the city will come from collection of city income taxes from the tenants who never own up to living in the city and the city income tax on the owners' rental income.

8rex(62 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

dd933 why the slam to Arizonia. There are many many things that require written documentation in this country. Drivers licenses, vehicle insurance, hospitalization, school children must have birth certificates and vacination records, marriage licenses, pets have rabies tags, even law enforcement officers must show identification. Why shouldn't someone be required to show that they are in this country legally if there is reason to suspect they are not.
Every legal citizen produces required documentation in this county when asked. Why should the illegals be exempt.

9Left2right4(35 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

I paid my $900.00 for rent and a first month's down payment, for a home on Youngstown's South side, for myself and my four children. I was devastated to find out that there was a crushed pipe, under the ground, in the backyard preventing water flow to the house. The water pressure was so weak, that it took twenty minutes to fill up a one gallon jug. When I complained to the landlord, I was told that I would have to fix the problem or move. The estimates ranged from $1,200.00 to over $2,000.00. I lived there a month and a half without water. When I finally had the excavation work and new pipes installed, I tried to withhold the rent and I was sent a letter of eviction... Hopefully this proposed law will prevent future injustices.

10northsideperson(365 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

Left2, I would have considered filing charges with the city health department, and seen what was involved to have your lease contract voided (the city claiming the property was unlivable would be a good start). This is not a landlord I'd want to deal with.

But, I expect landlord would try find a way to deny he owns any rental property, so he's neither taxed on it, nor responsible for fees.

11Tigerlily(488 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

It's about time the city did something to ensure that these slum lords have standards. It is not up to renters to take care of these homes' improvements; it is the responsibility of the home owners, that is the landlords. Good move, Mr. Mayor. Now: enforce it.

12walter_sobchak(1886 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

As a former landlord in the city, this is a long-time coming. It is disgusting what conditions some properties are permitted to be in. Next, get after the homeowners that let their property run down. Like my grandmother told me, soap is cheap!

13mrblue(970 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

I sure hope that the slum lords don't move to Campbell. This city has more problems than it can handle. And besides, this city has enough slum lords There is a slum area in each of the wards.

14Stan(9923 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

Put this tax on each dwelling in the city and tax each person a like amount for living in the city . This way nobody get singled out and the city gets the money .