Ryan’s new subcommittee post another positive for the Valley

Published: Thu, May 20, 2010 @ 12:00 a.m.

If Congressman Tim Ryan’s appointment in December 2006 to the powerful House Appropriations Committee was a major step up in his eight-year tenure on Capitol Hill, his being named this month to the Defense Appropriations Subcommittee is just as significant.

The new assignment reflects the continued confidence and trust that House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and other leaders of the Democratic caucus have in Ryan. And, it puts the 17th District representative in a strong position to funnel even more federal dollars to this region.

“We’re excited,” Ryan said of his subcommittee post. “We’re moving between $500 billion and $600 billion a year in spending. Billions of dollars of federal spending we can steer back to the communities.”

Ryan of Niles, who easily won the Democratic Party nomination in his bid this year for a fifth term, is not exaggerating when he characterizes the new appointment as “just so massive.”

But that isn’t only because members of the panel are able to tap into the billions of dollars they manage each year. Ryan is now ideally positioned to make deals with members of other committees, deals that could benefit the 17th District.

Deal-making is an important part of the legislative process, and since he was named to the appropriations panel, which is responsible for setting the specific expenditures of money by the federal government, he has amassed an impressive record.

Ryan’s seat on the defense subcommittee was occupied for decades by the late Rep. John Murtha, who during his long tenure in Congress became a master of bringing home the bacon. Of course, the Pennsylvania representative was chairman of the subcommittee, but he showed how serving on an important panel can be used as a bargaining chip.

There are 16 members, including two from Ohio: Ryan, and Marcy Kaptur of Toledo.

A recent Vindicator story showed how Kaptur and others who have been on the subcommittee for some time have worked on behalf of their districts. Last year, for instance, the Toledo congresswoman secured $30 million for new F-16 fighter jet engines for Toledo’s Air National Guard Fighter Wing.

Given that the U.S, Air Force Reserve has a significant presence in the Mahoning Valley through the 910th Air Reserve Wing based at the Youngstown-Warren Regional Airport, the need for continued federal funding is clear.

Millions of dollars have been invested at the base over the years, first through the efforts of former Congressman James A. Traficant Jr., and now through Ryan’s commitment to expand the facilities and the mission.

Indeed, as a result of the Pentagon’s investment, the 910th Wing escaped the last round of military base closings.

No guarantee

There’s no guarantee that the facility will survive the next round of closings — unless more federal funds are invested.

Ryan’s assignment to the defense subcommittee could not have come at a more opportune time. But, it isn’t just the base that will be the beneficiary of his position.

As Steve Fought, spokesman for Congresswoman Kaptur, put it, “The Valley has a long history of industrial defense oriented businesses. For industrial areas, this committee makes a lot of sense. It matches up manufacturing with defense. It’s very promising.”

So long as the federal government keeps doling out billions of dollars, the Mahoning Valley has a right to expect its fair share.

Congressman Ryan has become our most important lobbyist on Capitol Hill.

1northsideperson(366 comments)posted 5 years, 4 months ago

Any pork he brings us will be paid for by the taxpayers of the US.

2Cowboyfan(105 comments)posted 5 years, 4 months ago

Now we know what he was promised to sell us out on the healthcare bill.

3MH3(8 comments)posted 5 years, 4 months ago

We have a Representative that is bringing our tax dollars back to us and we want to get rid of him? We now have a more positive spotlight on the Valley and we are actually making some progress and we want to put a stop to this? We will be paying taxes no matter who is in office...let's get something for our investment.

4rocky14(782 comments)posted 5 years, 4 months ago

I have one question for all of you right wing nuts---why do you still live here? Go live in some big conservative place---we don't need you here

5MH3(8 comments)posted 5 years, 4 months ago

Pelosi (like or dislike) has been very successful and Tim was smart enough to associate himself with that succcess. It tanslates into the Valley finally getting help. Comparing the USA with Greece is silly. Greece has no way to grow out of their debt. The USA can although it will take time.

I do agree that open debate is necessary but many of todays Politicians have learned well from Carl Rove and his handeling of George Bush. Only supporters were permitted to attend his rallys. Not a great way of promoting debate.

The Tim and Jim show will be interesting. If it keeps the Valley in the news we can only benefit.

6cambridge(3454 comments)posted 5 years, 4 months ago

Jessiedavid.....I'm going to post a link to the Kiplinger article you listed as your information.

I'm also going to print what #3 says word for word.

3. A requirement that businesses include the value of the health care benefits they provide to employees on W-2's beginning with W-2's in 2011. The amount reported is not considered taxable income.

So somehow you read something that says, "the amount reported is not considered taxable income" and your brain calculates an additional tax payment on 15 to 20 thousand dollars.

Do you really hate Obama so much that it interferes with your ability to understand what you are reading?

This is the problem with Fix Noise, Rush and the rest of you neo cons. You people will lie about anything and repeat those lies over and over again. I forgot, when it comes to the neo cons "the truth doesn't matter".

7rocky14(782 comments)posted 5 years, 4 months ago

Hey Rudy56---Chavez hates Obama too---you can go live with him.

8ochi56(30 comments)posted 5 years, 4 months ago

Timmyyyyyyyy! Livin A Lie!

9cambridge(3454 comments)posted 5 years, 4 months ago

Jessiedavid.....You should have posted the "entire story/truth" in the first place instead of your post #9 where you state, "You will be required to pay taxes on a large sum of money you have never seen. Take your tax form you just finished and see what $15,000 or $20,000 additional gross does to your tax debt. That's what you'll pay next year."

You know what? I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt. I'm going to assume that someone sent you an Email being circulated that told that lie.

I'm also going to assume that you and the person that sent it to you and everyone else that got it and passed it on never bothered to check the facts.

There are a lot of people out there with their own agenda that are willing to tell lies because they know that there is that element who are always ready to believe the worst. They take advantage of you and they get you to pass on their BS.

Again, I'm going to say, I give you the benefit of the doubt. maybe you didn't realize you were passing on BS.

At some point people need to use some common sense and when they read something do a little investigating before they pass it on. It's exactly why I don't even bother to look at a left wing blog/website. I'm not interested in their agenda. I'm just interested in the truth.

10peacelover(817 comments)posted 5 years, 4 months ago

Cambridge, you are so right. There is a lot of BS out there on the Internet that gets passed around that is just that, BS. But the problem is, that people think that just because they read it on the internet, it must be true. I have a relative who loves to send me a lot of right wing propaganda, and when I look it up on Snopes.com and see that what she sent me is false, I send her the link proving it so and then she gets mad at me. Some people just can't handle the truth. Bottom line is, the more egregious something seems, the better the likelihood that it is false information. This goes for both sides. You need to use common sense, folks.

11cambridge(3454 comments)posted 5 years, 4 months ago

peacelover....lol. You have to laugh at your friend that gets mad at you when you point out the truth.

The same thing happens on this board. People post some of the most outrageous stuff that I just have to check it out. In five minutes I find proof that what they said is BS. When I post the proof I get called a communist/socialist/ Nazi. You gotta love it.

There are left wing blogs an websites that claim they have proof that the Bush Administration was behind 9/11. A person would have to be an idiot to believe that. I don't like Bush but I certainly would never say that and use some lunatics blog as proof.

There are people on this board that after you have proved something they said is wrong a couple dozen times will call you a liar and swear to the same BS that everyone knows is false. Some of these neo cons even say it doesn't matter that it's false. It doesn't matter???

Like I say all you can do is post the proof and laugh about it.

12peacelover(817 comments)posted 5 years, 4 months ago

Cam and Jessie

Yes you just have to laugh when people insist over and over again that you are a liar,a moron, a Communist, etc. when you have proven something they posted is wrong. Trouble is, they believe what they want to believe and they vote. That is the scary part. I just hope that they are a very small percentage of the population. My "friend" insists that Snopes is nothing but a liberal man and wife couple who sit in their home office running their website according to their own agenda and don't actually research anything. Can you believe that???? I guess that makes about as much sense as ABC News being a bunch of communists.

Have a nice weekend, y'all. Cam, I hope the weather out your way is better than ours has been the last couple days here in Y-town.

13peacelover(817 comments)posted 5 years, 4 months ago

P.S. I never liked George Bush either, but to believe that he was behind 9/11 is just as ludicrous.

14peacelover(817 comments)posted 5 years, 4 months ago

When you say leadership in both political parties want to keep us divided, I would be interested to hear why you think that is so. Wouldn't it benefit any one party to try to win over the majority of voters instead of keeping the electorate divided?
I am just curious as to what you think on this.

Today I received an email describing how President Obama refuses to sign certificates of awards for Eagle Scouts. It sounded so absurd so I checked Snopes and they said this was absolute hogwash. Boy these people never give up, do they?!

© 2015 Vindy.com. All rights reserved. A service of The Vindicator.