God pardoned you; I'm punishing you, judge tells defendant

Published: Thu, May 20, 2010 @ 9:53 p.m.

youngstown

“The good Lord’s been looking out for you through all these DUIs,” Judge R. Scott Krichbaum told Todd W. Tolson, 49, of Warren, moments before sending him to prison for nine months for his ninth driving-under-the-influence of alcohol offense in 20 years.

The judge’s comment came Thursday as the court learned that no one has ever been injured in Tolson’s offenses.

Getting behind the wheel of a car when you are drunk and driving down the street is like “pointing a loaded gun at a crowd and firing,” Judge Krichbaum of Mahoning County Common Pleas Court told Tolson.

For the complete story, read Friday's Vindicator or Vindy.com.

Comments

1Lifes2Short(3875 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

"Tolson admitted that he is an alcoholic and has learned that he can’t drink at all."

I know what hes going through. I got 15 months in prison for my 4th DUI (Morrow County) and if he gets sentenced to North Coast Correctional Institute like me, he can better himself and know that he's going to be a alcoholic for the rest of his life. Since I got out in April (2009) I haven't had a sip of alcoholic, I attend meetings, pray and live sober one day at a time. He needs to know he hit the end of the road and the staff at NCCI can help him if he wants it.

2mom4justice(1 comment)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

9 months for 9 DUI's!!! Are you kidding me??!! He should have received 9 years. 1 month per DUI, where is the justice in that? I seriously doubt he will stay off the road for life, we should all pray to God he doesn't kill somebody next time.

3timOthy(802 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

Is God in A Judges Robe ? Krichbaum there are other words in the dictionary like Lucky. You should try them instead of using the Lords name. Unless you Politicking.

4BillyBob(92 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

@ Lifes2Short

That's great what you've accomplished - I know many, many, many people going through the same thing. I don't think people understand just how common & what a real disease it is. I'm happy for you.

5TheCritic(23 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

The ruling is on-point; the rhetoric, however, is absurd.

6ANTIYOUNGSTOWN(234 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

9 months for 9 DUI`s is utterly ridiculous. Obviously this man has a major problem keeping off the sauce. So what do you tell a victims family if he gets out in a year and kills someone? "Oops, sorry, my bad?" Although the article doesn`t say, stripping him of his driving privileges should be part of the sentence.

[“I haven’t drank since this happened,” he told the judge, referring to his Oct. 18, 2009, arrest.] I wonder how many times he said that? Possibly 8 other times?

Anyone who can`t control their vice shouldn`t be allowed on the road. It`s just playing with peoples lives.

7NilesOhio(691 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

I do indeed hope that this man gets his problems sorted out. My father was an alcoholic and it ended up killing him at a young age. I hope we aren't reading about this guy getting his 10th in a year.

You can criticize the judge all you want, but these people have to face some of the worst people in society, day after day. Greedy laywers included.