Youngstown schools chief calls it quits

Published: Tue, May 11, 2010 @ 11:02 p.m.

YOUNGSTOWN — Wendy E. Webb dropped a bombshell at tonight’s city school board meeting.

The superintendent of the city schools since 2004 said she intends to retire as of Jan. 1, 2011, after 35 years of service in the district.

The announcement clearly caught board members by surprise, and Webb confirmed she hadn’t told the board about her plans before publicly reading her letter of retirement during the board meeting.

Anthony Catale, board president, said the first he learned of the superintendent’s plan waswhen she read her letter. There has been no board discussion regarding any leadership change for the district, he noted.

“It was a complete surprise,” said Lock P. Beachum Sr., a longtime board member. “She has served the district well.”

She will be leaving with about seven months left on her $122,500-a-year contract.

For the complete story, see Wednesday's Vindicator and Vindy.com

Comments

1CCmom(31 comments)posted 4 years, 7 months ago

She should've been removed long ago for a poor job performance. How long has the district been under an academic watch? Change is long overdue.

2Stan(9923 comments)posted 4 years, 7 months ago

"Don't place all of the blame on poor performance numbers on the BOE or the Superintendent, for they're playing the hand that has been dealt to them."

How true ! Diamonds can be made from coal but it takes a lot of pressure . Let's put the pressure on and start with the family unit . The first step is employment and not 24/7 street enjoyment . With a mother and father roaming the streets, doing drugs and booze their children are taught to fail and not set goals .

3UnionForever(1470 comments)posted 4 years, 7 months ago

No matter who replaces her, the fact that the vast number of Youngstown parents lack family moral values means that the same failed and high cost educational process will continue with a new administrator. Wendy Webb will not be missed!

4dreamcatcher52(140 comments)posted 4 years, 7 months ago

Dr. Webb has been made the scapegoat for all that is wrong with Youngstown schools. When she is gone, people will see that she was not the problem.

5havinmysay(155 comments)posted 4 years, 7 months ago

She was never qualified to be superintendent to begin with. The woman is trained as a librarian. All she's done is make the school system unstable and vote her self huge raises. She has created a huge mess and now she wants to skate off into the sunset with a bag full of money. Absolutely disgusting. What she has done to the school system is criminal.

6trailblazer(7 comments)posted 4 years, 7 months ago

havinmysay you are telling the truth. she has never done the right thing by the good parents who do check with the school teachers and principals. the school system is deplorable and she is the cause. she lies to the parents and media about fights and school lock downs. good bye wendy don't let the door hit you on the way out

7walter_sobchak(1982 comments)posted 4 years, 7 months ago

Stan,
You have a valid point but look at what the schools are used for. It started with subsidized milk, then free lunch, then breakfast, and now dinner. So, we set up this huge welfare state and tell these kids that everything will be given to them in spite of what their parents are. If I were king, I would end all of this aid in school and use the educational system to, let's see,....EDUCATE! If we must, take the children (and the govt aid) away from the parents and put them in group homes. NOthing wrong with a little hunger, in all aspects. It makes for a better person.

8valleyred(1100 comments)posted 4 years, 7 months ago

Should have been fired 5-7 years ago. She was horrible.

9AtownParent(562 comments)posted 4 years, 7 months ago

His wording may be off, but the underlying point is correct. Our government has made it so the schools are raising the kids. Those parents don't have to do anything anymore. It needs to stop being the schools responsibility to raise them and start being the parents.

10boardmanneedschange(364 comments)posted 4 years, 7 months ago

In the words of Cheech Marin....

" Bye Bye Lardass!"

11walter_sobchak(1982 comments)posted 4 years, 7 months ago

Yes, I guess I am cold and callous. But, here is the kicker. My father died in 1958 before all of the aid was available. My MOTHER showed me how to take a box of cereal out of the cupboard and eat. Or to make toast. Or a peanut butter sandwich. With three young kids,SSI, and a part time job, we had no extra money for anything. She did the best she could with what she had. So, she made me a sandwich, gave me a banana, a few cheap cookies, threw it in a brown bag, and "voila!", lunch. She sent me off to the Youngstown Public Schools and was told that I would study, I would behave, and I would make something out of myself. Failure was not an option. This went on my entire life and I graduated from YSU with two engineering degrees! So, don't give me malnutrition, fatigue, lack of attention, etc. I'm tired of the excuses! These kids aren't digging through garbage cans. They are listening to I-pods! Nothing wrong with a little hardship. It builds character!

My sister is a teacher and I have to listen to this BS. When she tells me of the waste in the system, it makes my blood boil. It seems like every one of these federal title programs has to ahve some overpaid director with a PhD in education that couldn't find their a$$hole with a funnel. It's time to end this insanity and start putting some demands on the system, starting with the parents!!!!
So, our family got govt aid thru SSI since my father contributed to Social Security. It was hardly a boatload of money. My mother streched her dollar so hard that Washington looked like Joan Rivers! So, this post is really a tribute to my mom which life gave rotten breaks but made the best of what she was given.