Probe continues in brutal attack on elderly Struthers man

Published: Mon, May 10, 2010 @ 8:26 p.m.

STRUTHERS — Police still are investigating an attack on an elderly man last week.

Edward Macejko, 86, suffered a heart attack during the ordeal at his home at 410 Fifth St. early Thursday.

Jane Macejko, his daughter, said her father reported being beaten, kicked and thrown against a wall for about four hours beginning at 3 a.m.

“They beat him with a brass lamp and a steel cane,” she said.

A police report indicates Macejko was robbed of his medication, two credit cards and an undisclosed amount of cash.

Jane Macejko said today her father’s condition was declining. He is at St. Elizabeth Health Center.

Macejko was found by another daughter, Jean Shackleford of Canfield, who had arrived later in the morning to pick her father up to take him to the bank, said Jane Macejko.

It was Shackleford who called police.

They found the apartment a “complete mess,” said the police report.

Her father’s clothes were half off, said Jane Macejko.

A neighbor reported hearing a man crying for hours, starting around 3 a.m., the police report said.

Struthers Detective Jeff Pantall said he has no comment on the investigation.

“We’re looking at several suspects,” he said.

Comments

1Stan(9923 comments)posted 4 years, 7 months ago

I volunteer to interrogate the scum who beat Edward Macejko ! Then the legal system can take over and rehabilitate the piece of human trash !

2Lifes2Short(3878 comments)posted 4 years, 7 months ago

All I could say is WHY?

"her father reported being beaten, kicked and thrown against a wall for about four hours beginning at 3 a.m."
“They beat him with a brass lamp and a steel cane,”
"Her father’s clothes were half off"
"Macejko was robbed of his medication, two credit cards and an undisclosed amount of cash."

A 86 year old man. Unreal the savage low life animals that are nothing but human filth. I hope they find the scumbags and give Mr. Maceiko justice. What a pitiful life form they are. 86 years on this planet and these animals do this. Unreal.

31970mach1(1005 comments)posted 4 years, 7 months ago

Agreed. Disgusting and frightening what happened to this guy. And what kind of neighbor would hear it happening and not call the police?!?!!?

4wupper(16 comments)posted 4 years, 7 months ago

Poor Ed I have know him quite a well. A Decend Man!!!! For those who know him and were he lives,the neighbors had to hear something being that the next door neighbor is only a wall away!!!!!!!! My prayers go out to him for a full recovery

5seminole(476 comments)posted 4 years, 7 months ago

Terrible, terrible...and the neighbor that hears him crying for hours? Just goes to show you, folks, that no one cares about anyone else in this area, this country. Stan, we need to join up and start taking the trash out as needed...this is an exact case-in-point that people do not want to get involved, then whine and complain when it happens to one of their family members, or themselves. Karma exists and the punks that did this will get theirs. They must be some bad-a-- dudes that beat on an elderly man. Another reason to take the streets back on our own because the law can not and will not do it.

6Nunya(1356 comments)posted 4 years, 7 months ago

This enrages me,..

I don't know nor have I ever heard of this man but it matters not. Things like this just gets me so livid the words of true sentiment I'd speak in regards to those. In communicating my resolute nonacceptance towards who'd do and did such a thing could likely get me prosecuted.

Be it known if I run across anybody that even remotely attests to having done such a thing they're finished. That was intolerably senseless, cruel, evil, brutal, terrorizing, inhumane, disrespecting, cunning, cowardly that jail is too lenient for such a gutless and depraved maggot.

In profiling I'd think it's unquestionable that the culprit or culprits. Are someone that knows a bit about that area and more specifically this man's living arrangements and they targeted him.

That doesn't read like a random act in the least and they should rot in hell for orchestrating such a thing.

7BTaylor(16 comments)posted 4 years, 7 months ago

I am disgusted by the fact that the neighbor heard him crying, but I am not surprised. He lives in the old mill houses on fifth and they people that live in them are not the most outstanding people. Those mill houses that are on Fifth, Fourth and Lincoln are a cesspool in Struthers, very far and few between are taken care of and nice like Mr. Macejko's. I've met Mr. Macejko and his family which are well known and respected in Struthers.
This is an outrage, this is a very populated area with generally paper thin walls. To hear an old man crying and to read what happened to him makes my blood boil. How can anyone hurt someone else let alone an elderly person? Eighty six years old and to live through this at that age when you can't defend yourself and just lost your other half. I hope that the scum bags that did this will rot ... or have someone beat them. How would they feel if this were thier grandparents??
Put up an award that will get the attention of the hoodrats that roam those streets..

8Nunya(1356 comments)posted 4 years, 7 months ago

@BTaylor

I whole heartily agree,..

To hear someone crying is an immediate concern and to anyone of integrity a summons for help.

There's no way I'd believe one can hear an 86 year old crying but not heard the forced entry, physical mistreatment or vocal instructions of brutalization and intimidation being performed.

People don't cry in the day nor night for nothing and to hear it and yet do nothing is beyond suspect to me.

If it were my neighbor an immediate 911 call would have been given and a physical response of my and calling some armed neighbors and friends to go check it out.

To me to just do nothing is morally, personally, ethically and spiritually as criminal as those that committed the act.

If those walls are that thin as in relatively all apartments. I'm inclined to believe that neighbor knew they couldn't allege they heard nothing so they contend all they heard was crying.

The only remote reprieve I'd give such an individual that heard crying but did nothing. Is if they had no phone and themselves were elderly and feared retaliation,.. sad but true I've seen that before.

Other than that I say that neighbor knows and heard far more than just the crying and if they were in fear of they could be next they'd called 911 immediately for their own protection.

By not calling anyone and not knowing if he'd possibly fell on his own or some onset of pain or injury was the nature of his crying. Tells me that damn neighbor needs a PD shakedown.