Pencil attacks, alcohol use probed at schools in city

Published: Sat, May 8, 2010 @ 12:08 a.m.

By JOHN W. GOODWIN JR.

jgoodwin@vindy.com

YOUNGSTOWN

Student injuries and alcohol abuse have officials at three schools investigating — and parents upset.

Dawn Williams, 34, of Evanston Street, is still trying to understand how her 11-year-old daughter could be stabbed in the back twice with a pencil by another student Wednesday while on the playground at William Holmes McGuffey Elementary School. The girl was taken to St. Elizabeth Health Center for treatment of puncture wounds.

Williams said her daughter and her daughter’s friends have been picked on by a fellow male student for a long time. Her daughter, she said, loaned the boy a pencil in school Wednesday and during recess the boy ran up from behind and stabbed her with it in the back, twice.

Williams said her daughter has seen the boy in school since the incident and is afraid.

“She doesn’t want to go to school because she is afraid what this boy will do to her if he can get away with stabbing her,” said Williams.

Rachael Smith, school principal, said the school is addressing the issue.

“We immediately talked to the boy and girl to get all the details and sent the girl to the nurse. We have followed our disciplinary procedures. We have progressive discipline here where punishment gets progressively worse for someone who may be a repeat offender,” said Smith.

Smith would not say what punishment was given to the boy, but she did say the boy is no longer in class with Williams’ daughter and has been isolated from other students.

A student at Paul C. Bunn Elementary School was repeatedly hit with pencils and is now recovering at St. Elizabeth Health Center. The 10-year-old boy’s injuries were exacerbated by a blood condition where excessive bleeding can occur.

Kimberly Fox said her son Paul has been in the hospital since Thursday and will likely remain hospitalized through the weekend. She said two boys, in an act of horseplay, repeatedly hit her son with pencils causing bruising along his arms.

“I think you should be able to send your kids to school and not have to worry,” she said. “I have never seen anything like this before in my life.”

Fox said she is also upset with the cavalier attitude taken by some school officials after the incident. John Allen, ombudsman for city schools, would not say what punishment was given to the two students involved, but did say the students were addressed according to disciplinary guidelines.

Allen said it is believed that all three boys were engaged in horseplay and the victim offered his arm as an experiment to see how long it would take to feel pain from the hits.

“Obviously we are concerned about every student. The situation ended up being horseplay. The victim does have a serious condition and the classmates were not aware of that,” he said. “The safety of all of our students is always highest priority.”

School officials at Stambaugh Charter Academy are investigating four students, ages 10 and 11, for drinking alcohol in school Thursday. A lunch attendant caught them drinking from a clear plastic bottle that smelled like an alcoholic beverage.

Three of the students told officials they only took a sip of the beverage not knowing it was alcohol. Police determined who brought the beverage to school. All of the students’ guardians were notified.

Comments

1Silence_Dogood(1311 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

JUST ANOTHER EXAMPLE WHY NOT TO SEND YOUR KIDS TO THIS MESSED UP SCHOOL SYSTEM.

2havinmysay(155 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

"Progressive discipline" my ***. The parents of the kids assaulted should go to the cops and press charges. Assault is a criminal offense. They should also file lawsuits against the school. The schools need a clear message that bullying and assault is not okay.

Kids who stab and assault do not belong in school. They need correction in the juvenile detention system. If he's stabbing people in elementary school, he'll be a mass murderer by high school.

3Nunya22(315 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

I heard of this happening I think if it's what I heard this boy only got 3 days suspension. I feel the boy should of been expelled no excuses. When I went to a south side elementary school two kids in the kindergarton got expelled for kissing, but this boy still get to go to school but switched to a different class for stabbing a girl in the back?

4mallwalker(5 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

Wow! The title is a bit deceiving. The Vindicator should attempt to make it's bias against the city schools a little less apparent.

@havinmysay- Have you considered that there is probably little the schools can do about kids like this other than continue to punish. They can't turn anyone away.

And at the end of the day, we need to remember that these are still kids. I remember that my mom always said "Horseplay leads to disaster." I never listened!

5justonevoice(94 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

In Boardman High School there were a group of boys who harassed my son, and told them there were go "jump him" after school. My son went to the principal and reported it. When school was over, my son was getting on the bus and the three boys came around the front of the bus and did indeed "jump my son". My son was down on the ground with one of the boys on top of him while the boy pounded my son in the face. My son got the boy off him and started punching back - it was at THAT point the principal finally arrived and SUSPENDED MY son for this reason telling me "although the other boy jumped your son, once your son was able to get the boy off him, he CONTINUED to punch the other boy".
I was flabergasted! The other boy got detention.

6saysithowitiz(98 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

Great, let's blame politics for these altercations at the schools, not the parents. I forgot that Obama and the liberals have raised these kids, not their families....all the buses head straight back to DC at the end of the day so the kids can go to the White House. What a joke! Some people have no sense of responsibility in society, they just blame things on everyone else.

It doesn't matter what type of government is running a country, bad parenting is still bad parenting! The other problem is the lawsuits, schools are afraid to punish kids due to the fear of a lawsuit. I say lets bring back some of the old ways of punishment i.e. paddling.

7mrblue(965 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

The kid should have been thrown out of school, instead he gets a slap on the hand. Another career criminal in the making. Thanks a-lot Y-town schools. No wonder you are the worst system in the state. Your staff and administration have no back bone. Stop being afraid of the loser parents and start doing your job.

8dreamcatcher52(140 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

Just so there's no confusion, the alcohol incident occurred at Stambaugh Academy - a charter school which is not affiliated with Youngstown City Schools.

Also, bullying and harrassing goes on all over. There is no excuse for it, but don't fall for the perception that it gets punished in other school systems.

9Nunya(1356 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

That little girl attacked is flat out criminal assault of extremely malicious intent where that pencil clearly evolves into a club, bottle, knife or a gun. See no matter how compassionate or rationale one is there's absolutely no excuse nor tolerance for that.

See this is a mere step away from act's like that display by the little cretins that one shot a girl in grade school having snuck a pistol in the school. Some found it their interest to get together and gang rape a little girl in California.

Another local recently murdered his fathers pregnant girlfriend. Where most currently there's been a twelve year old getting apprehended for armed robbery,.. and I'm not one they'd survive trying to play with nor on.

That depraved act of absolute savagery enrages those with any sense of human decency. To include I can care less who it stuns, disturbs or whatever.

But as a human and parent that loves, teaches and protects my family and look out for others. They're also duly informed and disciplined to respect themselves as well as the rights of and for all others,.. they deviate and I'm against them.

See I can and have tolerated the disagreements where there's been name calling, pushing, shoving and tussles. For which I make swift business of checking my family and conferring with the family or parent[s] of the other children and their child or family member for peaceful review and resolve.

To include the conversations of teaching we have to accept we can't win them all. To include some things we have to respectfully apologize for. To wit resorting to initiating violence isn't the way to do anything but abate a non tolerant response.

However, I've got one time to hear tell of such an unabated deceitful and terror intended act like that to be launched against any of my children. Because I assure you it'd be no more such problems and in such a manner of summons it's only negotiable in way of redress.

Where if the parents of the callous savage didn't act swiftly and according to break him of it. Then the cretin that made such a sad mistake of having found desire to have so foolishly assaulted my children. Would without fail answer directly and exclusively to me and his parents / mishandlers could get it too.

I'm a peaceful individual that also knows you can't reason nor peacefully coexist with a savage.

Therefore I have zero tolerance to things like that age matters not and if they sensibly don't or didn't want to endure me hosting them in such a manner.

Then they far more sensibly should have never forced me to address them in such a finite manner,.. and that's just the way it is.

10lgma1234(3 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

Regarding the incident with pencil and boy on playground. First of all the media should get facts straight when it comes to issues involving children and all of you commenting should know the correct story. I personally know the boy and his family and it did not happen like this. He did not attack the girl with a pencil, this was an accident, as the kids were playing around chasing one another and he did not intentionally poke her or attack her. He is not a mean child, he is a good boy and would do anything for anyone. The comments regarding the parents are nonsense. These were children strictly playing on playground and this accident happened. He is sorry about it and you are all making him out to be a violent, mean monster. How dare you! His family is a good family and he is too and to hear these comments that people make it just is not right. It is sad to think that a parent/child can make stories up that are not true to get atttention for themselves or to gain something for themselves.