Not a fan of life in the city

Published: Thu, May 6, 2010 @ 12:00 a.m.

Not a fan of life in the city

I am writing in response to the writer who proclaims there is a lot to love about Youngstown, yet, this person resides in Austintown.

I am sick of these people coming here and proclaiming thugstown — not Youngstown — is so great to live in. Tell me where. All this person was writing about was those bars downtown. All we hear about is downtown this, downtown that. Last I checked, there are four sides of town, but all you hear is downtown.

What’s so great about downtown? All I see is bars for the elite folk to bar hop and get nasty and drunk. Where are any improvements in the city? Sure not from where I live on the East Side. This city is full of anarchy, run by a monarchy, and there’s no democracy unless you side with these wannabe thug politicians here.

And please, tell me what the mayor has brought to this city other than lasting shame? You look at the news and in the paper, and all I see is him mugging and shining for the media.

And don’t get me going about these useless storm troopers called cops. All they do is ride around. Now these leaders wanna get tough on crime? Oh yeah, now we have the pleasure of the money-raising pullover-a-thon known as zero tolerance, which doesn’t solve a thing or put a dent in crime. What a joke.

As a veteran of the U.S. Navy, it was our job to protect our country and make it safe. Now as a civilian, where is my protection? I’m either gonna get mugged, shot and/or killed by these urban terrorists, or the cops are gonna, uhh ... beat me up. Hey, it’s true.

This person who wrote the May 3 letter couldn’t fathom what we as decent citizens hear and see daily: drug sales all up and down the streets, no vice units shutting them down, muggers mugging the muggers, cops looking the other way, loitering at mostly these corner stores in the hood.

These leaders are putting on a dog and pony show. So what’s to love about Youngstown? With this current bunch in leadership, not a thing.

Abdul Harris, Youngstown

Comments

1VINDYAK(1799 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

It wasn't until 8:30 on Thursday morning before anyone had a comment on this. I guess it shows total agreement with Mr. Harris on his observations of the city. Or, it hits home with a 10 inch knife as to how much it hurts to realize the truth.

2TylerDurden(367 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

Seems to me like Abdul should be in a position of leadership in Youngstown. He would have my vote. It sounds as if he would be willing to drop the hammer that has been been required for decades now in the city.
The current staus quo is subpar at best.

3ANTIYOUNGSTOWN(233 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

Where are all the pro Ytown posts?

Nice to see a printed article that shows Ytown for what it is.

My sympathies Mr. Harris.

4Springman(235 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

The INC Magazine article brings a sign that there may be a silver lining.

BTW, if you actually see "drug sales all up and down the streets, no vice units shutting them down, muggers mugging the muggers, cops looking the other way, loitering at mostly these corner stores in the hood" you have a duty to turn them in. Turn on your cell phone camera and send the evidence to the U.S. Attorney.

Failure to report crime is a crime.

5Jbreed2011(37 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

Some of the scariest moments of my life have been in youngstown... that one gas station near st e's on belmont, wow... i will be making sure I don't stop there again.

I've been hearing people talk about silverlining stuff for years and things have only gotten worse.

We need a politician who tells it how it is... you can't move forward until you admit you have a problem.

6Springman(235 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

"We need a politician who tells it how it is... "

It's up to us to do do it for ourselves.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease. If we have a bad neighborhood, that's where the police shhould be. If we have bad cops, turn them in. If the politicians refuse to cooperate, turn them in too. It's a crime to fail to report a crime. It's corruption if the politicians have been paid off.

The main reason that crime rates are dropping in DC and other cities is new technology. Police cameras seem to be everwhere. There also seems to be a policeman on every corner in the worst neighborhoods.

7howardinyoungstown(591 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

I currently reside in a nice quiet part of West Youngstown, I have friendly neighbors and we all look out for each other and for all of the kids in the neighborhood. I am in the process of buying a house on the North side as I prefer older homes, and I feel perfectly safe on the North side.

Many people tell me that the crime is bad, that the police are blind and slow, and that the politicians are corrupt in Youngstown; I ask them what are they doing to make things better?

I find the quality of life here in Youngstown to be far superior that what I was used too in the San Francisco Bay Area and the crime and the corruption to be about the same or even less than in California. I am buying properties fixing them up and finding quality tenants to live in them. When I see opportunities being ignored I point them out to people who can address them. When I see criminal activity I report it to law enforcement agencies, when I see corruption in city employees or elected officials I report it to their superiors or to the media. If you want a safer city, work for it! Make it happen yourself, don't wait for others to do it for you!