Hearing set in lesbian teen's suit to force prom

Published: Wed, March 17, 2010 @ 4:40 p.m.

JACKSON, Miss. (AP) — School officials in a rural Mississippi county told a lesbian student to get “guys” to take her and her girlfriend to a high school prom and warned the girls against slow dancing with each other because that could “push people’s buttons,” according to documents filed Tuesday in federal court.

The American Civil Liberties Union is suing the Itawamba County School District and some officials at Itawamba Agricultural High School on behalf of Constance McMillen, 18, who wanted to escort her girlfriend to the prom and wear a tuxedo.

A hearing is scheduled for Monday to hear an ACLU motion that seeks to force the district to have the April 2 prom it canceled after McMillen made her requests.

Comments

1Lifes2Short(3875 comments)posted 4 years, 4 months ago

Is this really what the world is coming to. geez.

2Nunya(1356 comments)posted 4 years, 4 months ago

Incredibly imbecilic,..

My now being gay nor Bi doesn't preclude me or anyone else from seeing how wrong that school board is.

If those girls wish to attend their school prom as long as their attire isn't in violation of any genital exposure they have that right.

They've committed no crime nor violated any civil ordinance and therefore any denial of their admittance is intolerable.

Not to in anyway insinuate those youngsters are godless or immoral. Because as individuals our faiths and choices are our own and they're not to be forced upon anyone else.

The shame is those kids were harassed and infringed upon by unjustly empowered individuals that call themselves adults?

Not just that but if those girls aptly chose to sue. The only ones that will be paying the financial fine are those that didn't infringe upon them at all.

If those whom did it weren't fired to vehemently correct the problem. Those girls should sue them individualistically and then make the school board pay next.

That community should be outraged and if they didn't defend those youngsters rights. Then let them pay for daring to think they can afford them,..

3Tigerlily(476 comments)posted 4 years, 4 months ago

Why don't the parents of boys and girls who THINK they are normal take drugs that would simply kill them so that the rest of the world wouldn't have to deal with their inane, asinine, ignorant, intolerant, nasty, mean, horrible, awful, evil selves? That would make it so much nicer for the rest of the people in existence, who understand that everyone is different, and everyone, regardless of their difference, has a right to the pursuit of happiness. This, too, includes two girls who want to attend prom together, as a couple.

USA1, please disappear. Your existence is harmful to truly normal people.

4Nunya(1356 comments)posted 4 years, 4 months ago

Clerical correction:

The statement was to read " By my NOT being gay nor bisexual "

But even aside from my having fat finger keyboard error-ed that passage. Where weighing in on this infringement I was blistering the keyboard,.. LOL !!!

However, let there be no question that I feel regardless to my heterosexuality differing from those girls. They still have my mortal support in defending their right to choose. Whomever they can mutually care for and about each other.

With a right to do it openly and without recourse or ridicule just like any and everyone of us heterosexuals.

I'll admit it took and at times still takes some adjusting to see gay couples showing affection in manners of things like kissing and things like that.

It's also a rather complex issue to explain to kids when they see it and ask why those two males or females dress or interact the way they do.

But it's just as awkward as trying to explain things like faith differences and sexism or racism to them when they don't see you acting in a manner they find detectable difference with.

So even as an adult it's just from my differing and that's for me and other heterosexuals to deal with within ourselves. Because bottom line is non abrasive or lewd gays are not bothering anyone merely by their love interest choices.

Therefore they bear the same right as I and every other heterosexual to bestow our affection on the opposite gender partner we care about.

It's not only a respecting of their individual rights. But be it known, respected and adhered to that being heterosexual doesn't make me nor anyone else god, creator nor judge.

Beyond gender what makes us good or bad people is our character, respect for self and others and not harassing, denigrating nor disfavoring them for any mere visual or love interest difference.

However, with no regret, typographical or true sentiment error nor waiver-able remorse. I flat out can't say I feel the same live and let live way for neither pedophiles nor rapists,..

Unlike mere gays or bisexuals pedophiles and rapists aren't just different nor do they bear rights. They don't exercise a sexuality they embody a sickness.

They're the ones that pose intolerable endangerment and to me their detestable existences should be eradicated.

5Nunya(1356 comments)posted 4 years, 4 months ago

@Tigerlily

Don't let the ignorant one concern you,..

See those of us of sensible reasoning and respect for all. Can grasp that those of gay sexuality by no means bear cause of being bashed.

Albeit a difference in nature that's of a private choice practice that individuals make.

No one be it hetero or otherwise owes another an explanation nor should have to mount a posture of vindication of their preference.

So it's not in anyway that invasive clowns or my nor anybody elses place to neither question your nor anyone elses sexuality.

Nor have standing to question your expressed support of having all of non criminal actions treated with respect.

To me if we work together all I want is a good co-worker, if we live next to each other all I want is a good neighbor.

Where since we share mortal life and this earth all that should be sought is mutual respect and safety.

Outside of that whatever another looks like or their sexual preference is. Goes beyond any of my or anyone elses control.

Thus those whom would try to make such aspects their business. Are clearly looking for a problem and they'll cite whatever their small minds can to make something of it.

As a heterosexual I'd rather have a great co-worker, neighbor or friend that shares that respect. Thus to me it'd matter not if they were gay or not,.. they don't owe me their sexuality.

However, I'll admit if the neighbor is of opposite gender and a all the bells and whistles beaut.

If the appeal were mutual and not infringing on anyone's marriage or relationship. I'd certainly like to find out first hand if she's as nice as she acts, sounds, looks or freshly smells,.. LOL !!!

6cambridge(2972 comments)posted 4 years, 4 months ago

Ironic that this is happening in Mississippi. A state where brothers marry their sisters and your significant other might be sheep or a goat.

At least I got to type Mississippi. That was kind of fun. Mississippi Mississippi Mississippi....!

7Nunya(1356 comments)posted 4 years, 4 months ago

@USA1

Oh really?

Granted where I sense there's one thing we have in common and that being heterosexuality.

But beyond that and even with all your other duly displayed dysfunctions aside.

In our vast difference of dynamics and diplomacy. For you to dare think a person who's sexuality differs where they're either gay or transgendered.

In somehow or in anyway owes you an explanation, excuse or apology. You're even more deranged than you'd previously established.

See where I'll admit and respect that I don't know what makes another's sexuality difference vary from my own.

But I also know that as men and women we're composed of chromosome sets / pairings that determine our gender. Thus in a metabolic sense I guess a male or female in appearance can internally bear the likeness of the opposite gender.

But anyway and regardless to what, why or how we differ. I have enough sense and respect for them as being just as human as I and any and everyone else is.

So much so that I don't want, expect nor think I'm due nor even worthy of them having to conceal, explain, bear any guilt nor apologize to me for their choice.

Where having that so deeply rooted in my values in differing from you as perceived co but vastly differing heterosexuals.

In my opinion via your mentality I objectionably find you to be the one bearing a willful mental illness.

I mean what is it with you or those of your lack of cognitive thought process?

Is it just because a woman finds more appeal in another woman. Somehow your scruples scramble it as some sort of threat or attack by her merely not being appealed more to you?

See that's all I can deduce because in vast contrast. If a woman likes another woman more than she's appealled to me as Man I'm not threatened nor offended at all,.. and she'll not be accosted nor called any disparaging names either.

But I don't have any problems with neither appealing to nor communicating with women either. I genuinely respect them and they detect it and they return the respect in accord as well,..

However, respecting vast difference and limitations of our inability to think alike. I'll yield to accepting that I'll never understand your manner of mental displacement.

So on this topic I won't even touch nor want to know what you could possibly have as repressed resentment against. Or feel as a transgression committed against you in regards to two gay guys mashing mustaches,.. that's something you can and should share solely with your therapist.

8KathyS(10 comments)posted 4 years, 4 months ago

USA1 - my 4 year old nephew is more of a man than you are - find something else to do, you are embarrassing yourself. The more you type (mistakes included) the more you prove your ignorance. Kudos to you Nunya!

9KathyS(10 comments)posted 4 years, 4 months ago

USA1 - It's a shame that when you were raised, it was in a house full of hatred rather than love. You are missing out on a wonderful world - too bad you are walking through with blinders on and a keyboard at your fingertips. Maybe next time your irrational statistics would be better served with a little bit of accuracy behind them... and a little less lunacy. Here's an accurate finding for you... "Theorists including Calvin Thomas and Judith Butler have suggested that homophobia can be rooted in an individual's fear of being identified as gay. Homophobia in men is correlated with insecurity about masculinity." Just a thought.