Brookfield man admits raping, beating stepson, 8

Published: Fri, March 5, 2010 @ 12:10 a.m.

By Ed Runyan

runyan@vindy.com

WARREN

photo

Damion Wise

photo

SOBER SIGNS: Brookfield Township Police took this picture of the marks and bruises on the body of an 8-year-old boy. His stepfather, Damion Wise, has been charged with felonious assault and child endangering.

Damion C. Wise still had no explanation for the beatings and emotional abuse he delivered to his 8-year-old stepson last summer at their Brookfield Township home, but he pleaded guilty Thursday to 10 offenses, including rape, for a prison sentence of 10 years to life.

Diane Barber, an assistant county prosecutor, said Wise, 30, hit the boy in the head with a small wooden bat; raped him with a toothbrush; stomped on his chest, which broke a rib; choked him; and stuck his fingers in the boy’s throat.

“When we received the call from the Brookfield police in August of last year, even our most veteran caseworkers were aghast at the condition of the 8-year-old victim,” Marcia Tiger, Trumbull County Children Services Board executive director, told the court before sentencing.

Wise declined to explain his actions to Common Pleas Judge Peter Kontos or to reporters while being led away to the county jail.

Barber said prosecutors agreed to grant Wise a sentence of as little as 10 years to prevent the victim, who is “very afraid of the defendant,” from having to testify.

But the county prosecutor’s office is “very active at parole-board hearings” and will work hard to prevent Wise from being released too early, Barber said.

In addition to rape, Wise pleaded guilty to two counts of felonious assault, five felony counts of endangering children and two misdemeanor counts of endangering children.

Police were called to the rental home at 5961 Everett East Road, just north of the Hubbard Township line, by someone who had visited the house and observed the boy’s bruises.

Wise, his wife, Celinda, and their infant son lived at the house since about May.

“I can’t begin to imagine the feeling of fear and helplessness of an 8-year-old child who is looking for help and looking for protection, looking for a way out, and nobody in that house would give it to him,” Judge Kontos said.

Police had been called to the house June 20, when Damion Wise held a knife to Celinda’s neck and threw an object through the rear window of the car containing their infant, according to reports.

On July 22, CSB was called to the house for a problem involving the 8-year-old, but a caseworker saw no indication that the child had suffered physical abuse.

On Aug. 22, workers discovered that the 8-year-old had been hit in the feet, ankles, lower legs and head with a bat, was wearing a child’s dirty diaper because he wasn’t allowed to use the restroom in the house, was dehydrated, had black eyes, facial swelling and bruises on his hand, arm, chest, back and stomach, police said.

By agreement, Judge Kontos sentenced Wise to serve his sentences for the felonious assaults and endangering children at the same time as his sentence for rape.

Tiger said the victim and his infant brother are in foster care and “doing great ... but this 8-year-old little boy will likely have memories and fears the rest of his life.”

Comments

1XFilesX(77 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

The stories get worse and worse about what this jerk did. I hope they reach the population in prison too. Prisoners have their own code.

2Lifes2Short(3875 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

"Damion C. Wise still had no explanation for the beatings and emotional abuse he delivered to his 8-year-old stepson last summer....."

This animal needs to be put in a cage and get beat. Low life cockroach.

3Nunya(1356 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

That's not justice,..

To give that indefensible low life cunning coward 10 to life for what he did to that poor, dear, innocent and defenseless child is gross injustice.

When I heard about this the unanimous decision from all I spoke to was to sentence him to life without parole or the death penalty.

That kind of willful savagery is absolutely heart wrenching intolerable. Where for the duration that he carried it out leaves me so incensed I'd catch a case if I were to have ever encountered him knowing he or anybody else was doing something like that.

That poor child has such a attempt at recovery in front of him. That he should never live in as much as even having a thought of ever having to see him again.

That bellow poor excuse for a mother should be given as much time as the savage she allowed, afforded / assisted too,.. she's even worst than the monster she fed her child to.

I have a request here. I'm not that good with starting nor running benefits or anything like that. But if there is someone whom is.

I'm requesting we start some sort of way we can donate to funding those kids a getaway vacation to Disney or somewhere.

Along with affording them some of their favorite clothes and whatever toys and gadgets they'd like to play with.

As a way of showing them our love, respect and remorse for what they so unfortunately had to endure.

I'd think that dear 8 year old would connect with that immensely and I see him as exceptionally deserving of all the love and support we can show him.

He's a tough little guy to have hung in there and endured all that. So on his path to recovery I know I'm not the only one that would love to show him immediate support.

If there's anyone here from childrens services or knowledge of how that assistance can be delivered.

So I or we can make that happen please post and provide insight guidance on how we can get it done for that little guy and his infant sibling.

It's the least we can do and he's unquestionably worth it and heartfelt deserving. I feel he needs to experience something extremely joyous to counter what he's so traumatically endured.

4mrblue(976 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

One more moron that needs to be removed from society--Permanently!!!

5concerned864(1 comment)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

this story brought tears to my eyes beinga mom myself. I agree with nunya and wrote to the writer asking what we can do if he would know.
I m in cleveland ohio and stumbled on this news website on a state wide story in the plain dealer. The step dad is a sick twisted angry individual that will get his soon enough.
I would love to help these kids too and if anyone knows how, PLEASE post.
thanks!

6mother23(7 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

This story has sickened and haunted me ever since it was first reported this summer, and now I'm sick all over again. 10 years in prison is a JOKE. There is no punishment heinous enough for this man.
When this story was first reported, CSB did have an overwhelming response from people giving and wanting to help. I believe the police dept involved also took a huge collection for toys, gifts etc. Then a few weeks later, the paper did a very helpful story on trying to understand how just an unimaginable crime like this can be committed. no words do justice to this evil, but the article was interesting.
I'm shaking as I type this because of how awful this boy's plight is....WE ALL must do more to protect our children!!! I've said it before, but it's worth repeating: It would have to literally be over my dead body that someone would hurt my child. If you're still alive, then you have an obligation to protect your child!!!!!!

71970mach1(1005 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

Absolutely awful. Why?
Hopefully this kid will have a stable life now.

8redvert(2059 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

This dirtbag will find out that the big boys in prison do not use a toothbrush. He will be wearing adult diapers by the time he gets out!

Whenever he is sent off to serve his time we need to find out where he is sent and be sure that someone in that prison population knows why he is there. A lot of these inmates may be ruthlous criminals but what they miss the most is their kids and will not appreciate someone that abuses kids.

9wineywoman(78 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

Why don't the courts enter the twentieth century, and let the child testify via video tape? Of course the child would be terrified in a courtroom situation, but a video would shield him from the intimidating stares of his abuser. This is how these rotten souls get out of serving the time they should. I want to know how Mom allowed this to go on. I know she was probably as afraid as the child, but this is the sort of thing that brings out the mother lion in us all! Thank God that child has been freed.

10Nunya(1356 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

@concerned864

I've placed a call to Trumbull county children's services. I was told by whom fielded my call she wasn't aware or at liberty to speak about it.

So I'm awaiting either a call back or will next ask to speak to the director of the agency. To speak to them in regards to how we can either either contribute to if anybody's already started something or get something started.

The dear little fella never has to see me nor know my name. I'll remain anonymous but I just want to ensure all we can do for the little victim can and does get done.

Nobody should have had to endure what he did. The only saving grace I get from this is he's so strong he hung in there and outlasted the sorry MF'r.

Who's incensed me so bad that I'd have caught a case for the manner I'd have addressed him man to man to torturing that child.

You know it's something about kids that you don't have to know them, they don't have to be related and regardless to gender or race.

If somebody does something wrong to them you just feel an instinctive need to take it to whomever would do such a thing.

I could care less if that culprit was family a non suspecting friend or somebody I just happened to come across.

If I found out they acted in such a way with a child they'd swiftly get handled the same way I'd love to address that rotten no good, cowardly, demented piece of non recyclable trash.

11Stan(9923 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

Perversion in society generates victims ! Why ? When right or wrong have no meaning then the infected degenerated mind charts the path for the body and the abnormal then becomes the normal . Mainstream society then doles out the penalty for this out of control behavior .

12Nunya22(315 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

This was so sick to read how the mother did nothing. She should be locked up as well for allowing this man to do that to her son. This man could possibly get out at the age of 40 or even before. This poor boy may have problems for the rest of his life over this man and his mother not doing anything to stop it.

13yasky(18 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

Nunya, thanks for initiating the request for help. I will donate what I can. I have two family members that work in prisons and "redvert" is right. This scumbag will not be too popular in prisons. Prisoners do bad things, but children are off limits. He will get what's coming to him and all we can do is pray for this little boy. We all should follow Nunya's lead and help this boy in any way we can!

14EricDP(14 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

He WILL get his in Prison. Beating a child? Worthless Scum! The Mother not knowing? She is Scared as well, Afraid. She will come out and talk give her time. She knew. How couldn't a parent know? BS

15madhatter0720(6 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

My fear is that this scumbag will get out in ten years and find some unsuspecting single mom. He probably will find one while in prison, while we house him rent free..

16madhatter0720(6 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

17jocko(1 comment)posted 4 years, 5 months ago

i wonder if we will hear from that bastard's father again. a while back he said we should all "wait until the real truth comes out" - well i guess the truth is out now. i read that damion tried to hang himself and failed. it's good that he failed since he needs to spend some time being raped in prison before he dies. i wonder why celinda the so called mother hasn't had the decency to hang herself though.

18Craig(2 comments)posted 4 years, 5 months ago

You all who have convicted Damion before he ever took this abhorent plea- his attorney acted more like a DA than a public defender! A few facts that were left out: Damion admits to punishing Zachary BUT not too the extent that has been shown and photographed and printed. He absolutely committed NO RAPE. Zacharey had a bicycly accident just prior to these charges which accounts for some of the marks. This "baseball bat" was a souvenir bat about 18" long and 1" around. Although Zachary claims the injuries were from getting his arms shut in a shed door!!?? There are more inconsistency's in this case than you can shake an 18" bat at!! Celinda's last boyfriend had the same - listen now - the same charges brought against him by Zachary. Did attorney Madovich think this worth looking into?? He said "what do you want me to do about it?" Incompetent attorney is putting it mildly!! The wrong person is sitting in jail. The stripper / drug addict walks free to have more charges brought against individuals by her children while my son who not totally innocent does not deserve 1/10 of the sentence he received. As a Mental Health Counselor I know Damion should be probated to a Mental Health facility where he can get the help he needs. So yea jocko the "bastards father" is nowhere near done with this injustice!! Ohio Is in the dark ages! Lets reward the victim's testimony with lots and lots of brand new toys and take him to meet the Pittsburgh Steelers, get autographs and get treated like a star. I tell ya - I would have sat in court and said my stepfather did this and that if I could have met the Steelers! In Pennsylvania we know that is the worst thing you can do to the victim for he will say anything for the attention!! It is ridiculous and all you Ohio knumbskulls are just as bad!!

Craig Wise ("The Bastards Father!!!!"

19onthetown(254 comments)posted 4 years, 5 months ago

" "Zach is a wonderful boy. We saw him two months ago, and he was the most polite and pleasant boy. He asked right away if he could call me 'Gramps,'" Craig Wise said. "

That rhetoric is a far cry from what you've posted above.

20Craig(2 comments)posted 4 years, 5 months ago

You learn things over 6 months. I still have no anomosity against Zach! He is an 8 yr old boy and has seen too much already in his short life. I still believe Zach to be a wonderful boy! He is not responsible for the mess he has been put in the middle of!