Lanterman’s Mill marks 25 years of new life

Published: Sun, June 27, 2010 @ 12:01 a.m.

By Elise Franco

efranco@vindy.com

Youngstown

Lantermans Mill

Lanterman’s Mill operates now as it did more than a century ago, thanks to a $600,000 restoration grant given to the Mill Creek MetroParks 25 years ago.With its hand-crafted structure and rushing waterfall, the mill, built in 1845, is a gem that many say is worth going back to again and again.

Tom Bresko, park interim executive director, said the 25th anniversary of the mill’s restoration is a nod to how locals feel about their history.

“It is symbolic of what can be done with grant money and other people’s money, so that this thing stands today grinding as it did in the middle 1800s,” he said. “I think it’s important to preserve these kinds of treasures, and I think it’s a testament to what a community can feel is important to maintain.

“It could have been just let go enough so that it would have been impossible to renovate.”

The renovation began in 1982 after the Florence and Ward Beecher foundations gave the Mill Creek Park Foundation a $600,000 grant, said Bob Orr, mill manager.

Orr said the money was used to replace the siding and roof, build walkways and buy and build the machinery needed to operate the mill, including a four-ton water wheel that powers operations inside.

“It really takes vision on the part of the park directors to preserve this place,” he said. “It’s a part of history, and they understand that without that, the mill will fall apart.”

Last year, a crew from Ridge Machine and Welding Co. in Toronto, Ohio, replaced two immense gears at the facility. Cost of that project was about $25,000 including the casting of the parts, which also came from the Mill Creek Park Foundation, a private donor fund established for capital expenditures.

Jim Stahara, of Youngstown, visited the mill Thursday morning with his wife Karen, grandson Jake Stewart, 11, and nephew Michael McGregor, 10.

Jim Stahara said he’s been coming into the mill for years.

“I love the ambiance of it,” he said. “It’s definitely something you don’t see every day, especially in your own back yard.”

Karen Stahara said she first came to the mill with her husband.

“The first time he brought me here I was in awe of the whole thing,” she said.

Jim said before stopping by the mill Thursday, the family ate a breakfast of buckwheat pancakes using flower that was ground at Lanterman’s.

“They were delicious,” he said.

Bresko and Orr both said their biggest hope is that 25 years from now, the mill will still be running, and families will still be absorbing its history.

“It may seem like kind of a small thing,” Bresko said, “But we want to see that mill operating the same 25 years from now as it is today.”

Comments

1CJJ8888(6 comments)posted 4 years, 5 months ago

Okay the $25,000 went to some gears and labor. What about the other $575,000!??? I don't trust Youngstown politics, I don't believe it cost that much to restore some siding!!!!

2dck516(25 comments)posted 4 years, 5 months ago

What great memories of growing up in Youngstown and Mill Creek Park. Thanks goes not only to Volney Rogers but it also goes to Phineas Hill and Isaac Powers who discovered "Mahoning Falls" later to become Lanterman's Falls.

3ytownsteelman(631 comments)posted 4 years, 5 months ago

It doesn't cost that much to replace the siding. If you would actually read that paragraph you would see that isn't all that they did. The gears were replaced last year and have nothing to do with the original restoration in 1983. Have people really been this dumbed down that they cannot understand a simple news article?

4NoBS(2006 comments)posted 4 years, 5 months ago

CJJ8888 - the $600K was the amount they spent in 1982 to renovate the mill. The $25K for the gears was spent last year.

I'm old enough to remember the mill when it was a museum - a lot of the artifacts from there were moved to the Ford Nature Center when they decided to return the mill to its original purpose. Money well spent, I think.

5mikeymike(469 comments)posted 4 years, 5 months ago

@ytownsteelman I think people find reasons to complain about everything.CJ8888 is a classic example of people running his/her mouth without fully understanding what they have read.It is sad that people,don't comprehend what they read.

6CJJ8888(6 comments)posted 4 years, 5 months ago

Like I said, $575,000 to build some walkways and re-do sidings? Absolutley ridiculous, this would NEVER get approved today, let the mill burn, $600,000?!?! That's well over a million today with inflation. There are children starving in Africa and we spend this kind of money on an old mill?!? I know EXACTLY what I read and you people are the idiots if you think this was a sound economic decision. But then again if you actually care about this mill you have to be 45+ years olds and you people are the reason are economy sucks right now anyways. Go spend another million on some sidewalks and siding and gears, maybe that will turn the economy around!

7CJJ8888(6 comments)posted 4 years, 5 months ago

And nobs so your telling me that they are continuing to DumP money into this place when what a total of 10 people visit it a year? Waste of money!!!!! I'm glad we have such smart people in charge

8justonevoice(94 comments)posted 4 years, 5 months ago

CJJ8888@ I'm not sure you realize what a treasure Mill Creek Park is.

I think i'm inclined to agree with the earlier post stating that some people will find a reason to complain about anything.

9crin(1 comment)posted 4 years, 5 months ago

CJJ8888@ You do realize that restoration is a whole lot different then "replacing". A restoration involves using the same materials and techniques if possible to make a building look as it did at a certain time. It is I believe a requirement for it to be a national historic landmark. The cost of a restoration is thus a lot more then just "replacing the siding".

10Schmendrick(9 comments)posted 4 years, 5 months ago

I grew up on Glenwood with the park as my backyard and "The Old Mill" as a regular haunt more that 50 years ago. I used it as a subject many times when I studied black & white photography and welcomed the restoration. I still have a 16x20 print of the restored mill in my Arizona home and I gave a print to friends as a wedding present after learning that he proposed to her near the falls. I'm grateful for people like the Beechers who share their wealth for the benefit of all of us. Youngstown has changed dramatically since I was a kid, so it's great to see people investing in something of the past that's worth preserving.
CJJ8888@ is one of those who knows the cost of everything and the value of nothing.

11JIMANDERSON(13 comments)posted 4 years, 5 months ago

SCHMENDRICK,
I'm with you. I used to go to the mill as a kid and have always thought it was a great place to visit and enjoy the history and the nature surroundings. I brought my wife there when we were in town from Scottsdale 10 years ago and have some great pictures of the mill and the area.Thanks to the folks who keep this piece of history alive, and CJJ8888, someday maybe you will be able to appreciate it also.

12Ginger76(178 comments)posted 4 years, 5 months ago

Mill Creek Park is such a treasure, i am very lucky to live so close to it and use it for my running and walking my dogs.

The Mill is at the end of our 5 mile run.

Yo is lucky to still have it, too bad others cant understand how important it is to the community.

Also, thanks to the MetroPark Police for keeping us all safe!!

13Silence_Dogood(1384 comments)posted 4 years, 5 months ago

CJJ888
You are CRYING about how money is spent that is NOT your money, you act as if this was taxpayers money. Can you read and understand that this money was from the Florence and Ward Beecher foundation.

14FormerYtowner(96 comments)posted 4 years, 5 months ago

CJJ8888

Go away.
The money was from private funds you numskull. Go troll on some other boards and spew your BS there.

Youngstown has so few landmarks left to remind us of the best days of Youngstown. When I lived in the area, Mill Creek Park and the Mill were frequent stops during the spring and summer and I enjoyed every second of it every time.

Instead of rambling on about how money that was not yours was spent, be thankful there was a foundation available to help preserve this great landmark of Youngstown.

Of course there is another option....don't go there and don't worry about it.

15palefoot(35 comments)posted 4 years, 5 months ago

Take advantage of the fact that somebody else paid to preserve the past and go enjoy the scenery, it will help you relax.

16ytownchick(6 comments)posted 4 years, 5 months ago

There is very little today that is worth me going back home (YTOWN) for. The city, the way it was when I was a kid, is in ruins. I'm glad that at least they maintain what beauty is left of the city. Thank God for people that believe in this type of investment. It's nice to know that there is Mill Creek Park to go to so that I can remember my days as a child - Lord knows downtown is in shambles and the beautiful houses on the North side are pretty much crack dens.