Sorry, no featured jobs currently.

Quake clears Oakhill, staff sent home

Published: Wed, June 23, 2010 @ 3:10 p.m.

An earthquake that originated on the Ontario and Quebec border between 1 and 2 p.m. Wednesday was felt as far south as Columbus, reports the U.S. Geological Survey.

The earthquake was 5.5 in magnitude, and most phone calls reporting the quake have come from northeast Ohio, particularly Cleveland and Akron, said Mike Hansen, Ohio Seismic Network coordinator. Mahoning County employees at Oakhill Renaissance Center felt the tremor, evacuated the building, and were subsequently sent home.

“There probably will be aftershocks,” Hansen said. “But by definition, they are smaller than main shocks so there should not be anything really big coming.”

If you felt the earthquake, contact reporter Ashley Luthern at aluthern@vindy.com. Read more in Thursday's Vindicator and Vindy.com

Comments

1sparrow2779(1 comment)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

i work at jcpenney at the eastwood mall in niles, ohio. i work on the bottom level of the store. everything was swaying in my work area. it seemed to me that it lasted 12-15 seconds. some of my co-workers didn't even notice it but from where i was sitting it was moving pretty good. i live in CA for 3 years so i know one when i feel one!

2SMarlowe(1 comment)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

YES!! I thought I was going crazy.. I was in the Creekside Plaza on 224.. Lasted about 20 seconds or so.. Almost made you feel dizzy until you realized what was actually happening..

Earthquakes in Ohio.. What's next?!

3andy5(1 comment)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

Felt nothing here in Campbell. I was in the grocery store at the time and no one mentioned it either.

4ssadar(1 comment)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

Our office is on the 5th floor at Canal Place in downtown Akron. I was sitting at my desk and felt the building moving...at first I thought I was cracking up but then saw it posted on facebook! Told my brother and son that they are not the only ones that have ever felt an earthquake...they live in southern California!

5mlamar(12 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

First time I've heard of a quake being felt in these parts. Anyone else remember this happening before?

6vegas226114(9 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

Felt it...working in New Castle, PA and I said to myself, "what the heck... is there an earthquake?" Sure enough I read this and yeah, there was.....

7Thewatchdog(25 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

Sure the Government workers get to go home early. I wonder if Tablack had to use some of his sick time today or if this was a regularly scheduled day off........

8Derricka(1 comment)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

Didn't feel it in downtown Youngstown. And, yes, we have felt earthquakes in this area before.

9walter_sobchak(1914 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

Why is it only govt workers get to go home when these things happen? At our workplace, we are to concerned about doing our job than to notice someting this insignificant! Probably woke up the head of the union at Oak Hill!

10donfun(23 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

We had an earthquake that everyone in Mahoning county felt back in 1985. That one was scary, this one felt odd, almost turned my stomach or made me feel light headed. Wierd.

111970mach1(1005 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

Absolutely ridiculous that Oak Hill employees were sent home. I bet they got paid for the full day anyway.

12Valleys_Voice(149 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

Didn't feel it downtown. No offense, but sounds like people are exagerating to me.

13howardinyoungstown(591 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

Upper west side here, didn't feel it at all. I was sitting at my computer.

14vegas226114(9 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

Not exaggerating... Many people I work with also felt it here in New Castle.

15july49(2 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

I was on my computer and felt it about 1:50. I thought my grandson was shaking my chair from behind me. I noticed my pedastal fan rocking back and forth. It lasted about 10 seconds.

16leftyompton4life(79 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

Why couldnt this hit my office in Cleveland so I could go home? No fair

17july49(2 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

I forgot to put i live in canfield

18oldstown(199 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

I guess God doesn't agree with the Oakhill purchase either.

19justonevoice(94 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

I also work downtown and work on the fourth floor of an office building and felt it. Agree with the earlier post in that this was so odd - it was almost like my chair was moving and a really quick dizzy spell. Then everyone in the office (80 employees - NOT GOVT employees) started saying "did you feel that?" "The building just shook".
It was certainly nothing to "go home" over but 80 plus people felt it on my floor.

20yanks08(3 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

Felt it too...was working in Madison, Ohio along Route 20 near Lake Erie...found out there are fault lines that run along the lake.

21dreamcatcher52(140 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

I was up in Cleveland right near the lake and didn't feel anything. But I was sitting in a parked car at the time, not in a building.