Purdue QB to transfer to YSU

Published: Mon, June 21, 2010 @ 6:03 p.m.

Purdue QB Najee Tyler will transfer to Youngstown State, giving the Penguins a talented Division I-caliber player to compete at the game's most important position.

Tyler, a 6-foot-5, 235-pounder did not see action last fall. The Brooklyn, N.Y., native would have been stuck behind Robert Marve, who started 11 games at Miami in 2008.

In a phone interview, Tyler told The Vindicator he plans to sign with the Penguins on Tuesday. He will have four years of eligibility remaining.

Comments

1oldstown(198 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

Couldn't cut the mustard at a real university, I see...

2YSUGRAD(134 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

What makes anybody think this young man will be any better of a player at YSU?

3OSUBuck16(12 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

oldstown and YSUGRAD,

Apparently you forget that Joe Flacco, the Delaware quarterback now playing for the Ravens, was a Penn St. QB that couldn't "cut it". Also, I will throw the name John Sacca out there, who was a Penn St. washout only to end up at Eastern Kentucky. Quick refresher, Sacca led EKU from an 11-0 hole in the 4th quarter to take the lead against the 'quins in the 94 playoffs at Stambaugh (Penguins rallied to win in an all-time great game). I just felt like proving a point that going from 1-A to 1-AA isn't a death warrant (I don't use FBS or FCS).

Also, Marve (Purdue's current QB), is a former high school standout that started at Miami Fla. and decided to transfer. He is highly rated and will start for the next 3 years. He will be the most talented QB Purdue has had since Brees.

4OSUBuck16(12 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

It really won't matter who is pulling the trigger for the Penguins though. With the exception of 1 year, 2006, they have been soft since JT left. What I remember about the Penguins during the 90's was a blue-collar running attack with some play action mixed in, but more importantly aggressive, sound defense. The defenses of the 2000's have been pourous and little more than an obstacle for the opposition to master. Wake me up when they start playing a brand of football representative of the city of Youngstown.

5leftyompton4life(79 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

Man I missed being 9,10,11,12 years old and going to the YSU playoff games in the mid 90s with my dad...that was the greatest time ever. And then I went there...and I think I only went to 2 or 3 games.

6valleyred(1097 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

The running back position will have the most depth this year for the Penguins. How easily do you guys forget the 4-star Bellamy from Florida who was very close to sign with Cincinnati, and our local stud Allen Jones who was one of the best running backs in the State of Ohio the past few years.

Go Wolford!

7nojimbo(223 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

Follow Nasty Money (I mean Mr. Tyler) via his tweets - http://twitter.com/NASTY_MONEY

8FormerYtowner(96 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

@ OSUBuck...

Look 180 miles south and that is exactly what is at OSU. Good 'ol Tressle Ball. It may not be pretty or flashy but it works.

9YSU2(17 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

a 6-foot-5, 235-pounder QB - 4 years left. Ahh, I would give him 3 years before I start to complain.

Welcome to Wolf football!!

10shutyourface(246 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

Give the kid a chance. He will have to prove himself he has time to get better so much upside to this young man.

11DAL(90 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

Quit being so negative!! Give this kid a chance. Who knows, he might bring excitement back to YSU football!!!

12YSUGRAD(134 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

Is this guy a lefty, if so maybe we can refer to him as the "Hefty Lefty".