Five arrested in latest city shootings

Published: Mon, June 21, 2010 @ 12:39 p.m.

A recent onset of gun violence in the city has police, prosecutors and the courts scrambling to make arrests and get suspected criminals before a judge.

Albert E. Whitted III, 23, of East Boston Avenue, and Joseph Valentine, no age or address given, are being held in the Mahoning County jail on $1 million bond each. Both men appeared via video Monday before Judge Robert Douglas of Youngstown Municipal Court on a charge of murder.

Whitted and Valentine are charged in the death of Marlon Chatman, 28, who was shot twice in the leg at 360 W. Chalmers Ave. at 3:41 p.m. Thursday. Chatman was shot after he let two men into the house, and went upstairs with one, a witness told police.

The second man held a gun on the witness downstairs in the living room, a police report says.

Police are also holding three more people suspected in the weekend shooting of a 7-year-old girl in the city.

For more on this story see Tuesday’s Vindicator and Vindy.com.

Comments

1Valleys_Voice(149 comments)posted 4 years, 4 months ago

they deserve life in prison at their families expense or death by firing squad. dispicable..

2markmyword(8 comments)posted 4 years, 4 months ago

Even if you are not prejudice against race it is an unfortunate fact that most crime is black on black. I just dont understand why they continue to live this way.

3jrolley325(800 comments)posted 4 years, 4 months ago

nobody should spend more than 1 year on death row. tired of hearing about executions today for people convicted in the 80's. 1 appeal, maximum.

4thespookbythedoor(7 comments)posted 4 years, 4 months ago

There is definitely no excuse for murder. Anyone, whatever the color needs to be held accountable for their actions. In Youngstown there is no denying that there is a lot of Black on Black crime but when I read these comments, there are factors that are not being considered. No one wants to admit to themselves that America is still suffering the consequences of Slavery. I hear and read all the time "Slavery is over, get over it" but it is not that easy. Must we forget that families were broken, separated, torn apart. We were so called "freed" a little over 100 hundred years ago. Sounds like a long time but realistic, I can only imagine the psychological condition of my ancestors. Civil Right Movement, a little over 50 years ago. A time where blacks were made to feel like third class citizens. Where men couldn't hold their heads up due to inferiority and treatment worse than animals. Fast forward to my generation, products of families with no self esteem, broken homes, low wages, second class education. There is no excuse for Black on Black crime but let's be realistic and try to understand that if you were brought up to feel like nothing, no hope or told you can't be anything, you won't love yourself or anyone else! Born and raised in Youngstown, I thank God that my immediate family instilled hope and goals in my brother and I that we can do anything that we wanted to do, but other families were not that fortunate and it is a vicious cycle that continues to keep on going. It's easy to judge and say that blacks are this and that but let's look at the whole picture. If you treat human beings like animals, human nature proves that they will act in animalistic ways. I no longer live in Youngstown but I know it needs more educational programs, more athletic programs and also extra curricular activities for the Youth period(any color). As a black woman, I know how easy inferiority can set in due to being judged on Stereotypes or just solely on the color of your skin. We can hope for peace all that we want but what are we doing to stop it besides shaking our heads and judging one another. If you don't believe anything that I said, do some research to get a better understanding. God Bless

5Lifes2Short(3877 comments)posted 4 years, 4 months ago

spook

It's all excuses. No more no less. Excuses. It has to stop. Everyone, no matter there background or what, should be held accountable for there actions. Have to stop blaming everything and look in the mirror and want to be a better person no matter what. It's the individuals choice if he wants to succeed in life or not. Alot of people come from broken homes, single parents, etc and thrive and succeed and make something out of there lives. It's the low life scum that are ruining not only there life but innocent victims as well. It's the "don't give a sh@3" attitude these young kids have and that has to stop. No more excuses. It's all up to the person looking back in the mirror.

6thespookbythedoor(7 comments)posted 4 years, 4 months ago

Once again, until you've been a minority or walked in black shoes, you will never understand. One good thing about the U.S I do like is freedom of speech. My first statement was "There is no excuse". It is up to the individual to make things happen. I am so glad that I wrote that comment to bring out more of what people really think behind the keyboards of their computer. You may say it's excuses or call it what you will but I stand behind everything that I said:) It kills me that people don't consider that while growing up, impressionable kids sometimes become a product of their environment. Your comments are very entertaining as well as laughable if you cannot relate. If you were born into a family selling, abusing drugs, the probability of falling into that way of life is inevitable. Same goes for growing up in a family of preachers or whatever. I also stated that everyone should be accountable for their actions no matter the background. I was just trying to shed some realistic light on the factors behind what goes on in the community. It's easy to point and call people scum, trash and animals but the hard thing is looking beyond that. Most won't care about the factors but the factors are there. When you have no hope, no positive influence, you will have a "I don't give a s&*# attitude. Now don't get me wrong, the solution is to get up try to be that best that you can be. I don't care what you say though, I believe that there needs to be a positive foundation whether by a parent, teacher, community role model, preacher, etc. From experience, some of my friends and family members did not have it or were so traumatized that they could not receive it. I don't want you to agree if you don't but just like I am trying to see your points of view, just attempt to see mine:) @Lifes2Short, please address me with my whole user name, thank you. @Censoredship, are blacks always the first in line for handouts? Please show me that proof or was that your opinion? @joes, does your dream involve the extermination of blacks for Youngstown? What I interpret is that don't attempt to stop crime, black on black crime so that "us black folks" can kill each other to instill Youngstown Pride? I respect your opinion but that was a very mean thing to write and I really hate that you feel that way. Blacks are not the only ones that commit crime in Youngstown. How soon do we forget about the Mafia's influence and the "Youngstown Tuneup" but I guess "us black folks" are just animals. I can't deny black on black crime or crime in general but again that comment hurt. God Bless

7shutyourface(246 comments)posted 4 years, 4 months ago

Thespookbythedoor I was going to write something but another murder probably tonight will prove my point.

8thespookbythedoor(7 comments)posted 4 years, 4 months ago

I have a sense of humor @shutyourface:) I was going write another one but I am too busy laughing!

9Rokscout(310 comments)posted 4 years, 4 months ago

I hear the military is always hiring, but how many of these young men and women that "have no chance" are willing to bust their butt, sacrifice, and give back to a country that so willingly gives to them. I think the roving gangs of young males in Y-town answers that question. Of course, this would require not being a multi-time convicted felon prior to the age of 18.

10Lifes2Short(3877 comments)posted 4 years, 4 months ago

spookbythedoor

"I am so glad that I wrote that comment to bring out more of what people really think behind the keyboards of their computer."

Think behind the computer? Read the daily newspaper, watch the local news, read the news from across the country. It's the facts.

"I was just trying to shed some realistic light on the factors behind what goes on in the community."

What? Young adults killing each other and threating/killing innocent people at that. Packing. "It's me against the world" attitude. I can do anything I want because the police or anyone else is not going to stop me. (ex: Housers parents, threating a witness - his parents are showing love) The last 2 shootings, very YOUNG CHILD'S were effected close by and that is a scary trend. They cockroaches need to be taken off the streets and put in a cage for awhile. Thats what goes on in the community.

"It's easy to point and call people scum, trash and animals but the hard thing is looking beyond that."

Very easy to call them that when you murder another person and what is to look beyond that? They get a slap on the wrist and they just go back into the streets. It's like a revolving door. It has to stop.

__________________________________

What I mean about excuses.

"Once again, until you've been a minority or walked in black shoes, you will never understand.

"It kills me that people don't consider that while growing up, impressionable kids sometimes become a product of their environment. "

"If you were born into a family selling, abusing drugs, the probability of falling into that way of life is inevitable. Same goes for growing up in a family of preachers or whatever."

"From experience, some of my friends and family members did not have it or were so traumatized that they could not receive it."

""How soon do we forget about the Mafia's influence and the "Youngstown Tuneup" but I guess "us black folks" are just animals."

So that gives all the reason to murder/rob/threaten innocent people and sell/use drugs and carry weapons ???