Sorry, no featured jobs currently.

Teen critical after being assaulted with bat

Published: Fri, July 23, 2010 @ 12:05 a.m.

Staff report

WARREN

A 15-year-old boy was flown by helicopter to Akron Children’s Hospital on Wednesday night from Forum Health Trumbull Memorial Hospital after being hit in the head with a baseball bat at Brier Street and Duke Avenue Southeast.

One witness said Verdarell Lowery and others were injured in a fight that involved about 50 young people about 8:30 p.m.

When officers arrived, they saw a large group of juveniles, some running and some standing around, and saw the injured boy being placed in his aunt’s car. He was bleeding from the side of his head, having seizures and vomiting while waiting for an ambulance to arrive, police said.

A witness told police he was with the injured boy and others, who had gone to Brier Street because they heard there was going to be a fight.

When they got there, a man with a bat was chasing people all over the street. A few minutes later, as the boys were walking through a yard, the man and some of his friends came from “nowhere” and began kicking and beating them with their fists.

Warren police are investigating.

A spokesperson for Akron Children’s Hospital said there is no record of the injured boy being at the hospital, but patients can “opt out” of having information about them released to the public. But Verdarell’s mother, Kim, told WFMJ, The Vindicator’s media affiliate, that her son is “half-dead” with swelling and bleeding on his brain.

Verdarell was knocked out, and when he hit the ground, someone “stomped on his head,” she said, adding that doctors are unsure if “he’s gonna make it.”

Comments

1justonevoice(94 comments)posted 4 years ago

Seeing this video on the news left me speechless. It was like pack of wild vicious animals. Not only am I sad for this young man and his family, but I am sad for our community..these people live among us. I just don't get it.

2Lifes2Short(3875 comments)posted 4 years ago

Nothing but wild animals. The ones that did this to this kid are not human. They need to catch them and prosecute them to the fullest extent. Set them as a example. What a waste of human flesh. And don't want to hear that sorry excuse there just kids. There pitiful cockroaches.

3Freeatlast(1991 comments)posted 4 years ago

Animals kill for food not fun like these scums did

4Stormieangel(136 comments)posted 4 years ago

How sad for this young man if he was just an innocent bystander. It is what happens when one is at the wrong place at any given time. These kids heard there was going to be trouble and they chose to go there. I guess I might have done the same thing, just being curious. There aren't many details here but nothing advocates such violence. We do live in a very angry world. The sad part is that chances are it is going to get worse. Those are the words of a pessimist but looking at the todays versus the yesterdays....well, the tomorrows don't look all that promising. And yes, animals kill for food so no need to insult the poor animals by comparing this situation to them. Humans truly are the evils of the earth!!!!

5Nunya22(315 comments)posted 4 years ago

Like adding racial attacks is helping this situation out any that is part of the problem as well.

I wonder what this fight was about so sad one young man might loose his life over it smh.

6Freeatlast(1991 comments)posted 4 years ago

Like adding racial attacks is helping this situation out any, that is part of the problem as well.

So True Nunya22

7henryviii1509(274 comments)posted 4 years ago

The parents of this individual should be held responsible for everything their offspring does, up to, and including, the Death Penalty if this young man dies!

8TeresaB(82 comments)posted 4 years ago

9JME(801 comments)posted 4 years ago

Vindy.com posted it just a couple of hours ago.

10JME(801 comments)posted 4 years ago

11Stan(9923 comments)posted 4 years ago

Life is cheap in the subculture and most have no respect for it . In the video you see no one coming to the boys aid . The crowd reveled at the sight of him going down and came over to stomp on his head . How many in this crowd will make a career of being in prison ? How many will kill multiple times before they are caught ? Their mentality is deeply rooted and for the most part this is the way that they were taught at home . Can school change this type of behavior ? Not a chance .

12jrolley325(788 comments)posted 4 years ago

wow, for a woman whose child is clinging to life, she sure has an awful lot of time to talk to reporters and news cameras.

13jr99(88 comments)posted 4 years ago

I hope this video makes it's way to the good rev. Jesse Jackson, and I hope he speaks out against the way these animals acted. But he won't, because the suspect was not white, nor were there any white police officers there using "excessive force". I've watched the video several times trying to see where the white people were at in this fight, but just could not see any. I'm sure the mob of white people rioting was just around the corner, and the video of that fight will be released very shortly. And before I'm called a racist by people who can't even spell the word "racist", this incident has EVERYTHING to do with race. Don't fool yourselves.

14Nunya(1356 comments)posted 4 years ago

This is an outrage,..

First off I hope and pray the youngman survives and makes a full recovery.

See unfortunately the fracas appeared to be happenstance mischief that youth has, did and will partake in until they learn better.

However, some things are indefensible no matter how old the individuals are. For which having viewed that footage and with unblemished honesty.

Say what you will about the way I see things. But as I see it that damn depraved savage that deliberately positioned to hit that unarmed kid in the head with that bat deserves death.

To include the one that was alleged to have stomped his head deserves the same fate.

That's savage and it has no age, race or gender discriminator as to recognize and or deal with it any other way.

To have such a total disregard for life and to be so cunning and callous those who do things like that.

Will NEVER develop any degree of respect nor sense of civility, self control nor compassion for anybody.

No matter what hostilities were exchanged. We all saw the gruesome manner of just how savage the little beast with that bat postured to inflict that blow.

For those that will dare try to cite his inexperienced youth, environment or home life as an excuse. Will lay unknowing prey to allowing such a predator to menace society at large.

See one of such savagery doesn't reform from such a zeal being so entrenched in them.

No matter what age we are ask yourself could you have found it in yourself to have done such a thing to one postured as the victimized kid was.

I can care less who we are if that's something you can embrace or reason with. Then you've done it before and you'll damn well do it again if given the chance.

Where for public safety you should have been decisively dealt with in a zero tolerance manner the first damn time you did.

Bias?,.. insensitive?,.. HELL NO !!!

Because if that were my kid that savagely swung that bat or treacherously stomped that kids head.

The very society that I have such respect for wouldn't ever have to worry about his @## ever striking again. He wouldn't have to answer to society, the cops or J.J.C.

For displaying such a penchant for something I have no acceptance for and that I detest so much. His rotten @## would be on the fast track and duly have to answer to ME !!!

15Stan(9923 comments)posted 4 years ago

Rev. Jesse Jackson would stress forgiveness and not prosecution in this case . Since this boy is multiracial it would be interestiong to see how he now views both races if he survives .

16Nunya(1356 comments)posted 4 years ago

@THOMAS53

You're beneath a Jackass and haven't the sense god gave a urinal gnat you abominable aperture of an anus.

This deplorable act is no different than the savages that shook and abused those babies and children.

No different than those salt and pepper little bastards that the salt colored one plotted to assassinate his daddys girlfriend. Where the pepper colored one tried to stick up that subway sandwich shop

No different than those worthless whore witches that beat and robbed the elderly in Struthers and on the Westside either you deplorably dysfunctional damn dummy.

This isn't a racial abomination you apocalyptic A-hole. It's an intolerable display of callous savagery. That only us of sense, decency, civility and worth aren't silly enough. To even try to color code as any variance of acceptance you indefensible liability to life as we know it.

See for anyone to tell you to go to hell would be senseless. Solely because clearly all you're trying to do is solicit for others to go along with you,.. you reprehensible sack of sh_t.

Where I've lived my entire life helping people and I've not been concerned with nor affected by race nor gender.

But if I knew with absolute certainty one in need were you. I'd damn sure not intercede in anyway as to avert, derail nor prolong your exit to hell.

See just like those other predatory savages a tranquil society can't embrace. You're just like them and either you've done what they've done before.

Or you're just too much of a damn cunning coward to summons attention to alert members of society like me of your presence.

See you're so weak, twisted, cunning and sick. From my vast experience of breaking those like you. You present the baseline characteristic traits of a damn pedophile.

You godless, unmanly, inhumane and insensible egregious existence of something lower than amoeba excrement.

17justonevoice(94 comments)posted 4 years ago

@ Censoredship

To add to your point of regulating public housing, section 8, etc. this brings to mind a piece I saw on a local newscast a few weeks back. The story was about a housing project in Warren that was getting renovations. They interviewed a woman who lived in the housing project to ask her opinion on the renovations. She stated she had "lived in that housing project for the last 45 years and she was so glad that "they" were going to fix it up". She had on at least 4 gold chains that I could see, her nails were done and her hair was done and her outfit was nicer than anything I own and I thought to myself, "45 years? You've lived in a housing project for 45 YEARS? In 45 YEARS you couldn't go out and get a JOB yet you're hair is done, nails done, you're wearing more gold than I will ever hope to have in my lifetime and you've lived in a housing project for 45 years". Wow. What is wrong with this picture?

There are generations of families who are brought up to believe that this is acceptable. Living in public housing your entire life is acceptable, living on food stamps, Medicaid is acceptable. I guess violence is acceptable too in that environment.

What's wrong with this picture?

People who have worked their whole lives and lost their jobs in the last two years can't get their unemployment benefits extended but living in a housing project for 45 years - no problem?

18Boardman120(82 comments)posted 4 years ago

'I tried to view the video on 21, it looks like they took it down. Anyone else able to view it?'

I couldn't view it either.

19fairnessv(1 comment)posted 4 years ago

My question is how can the Warren police say that the victim's mother was unable to get them the video!!!!????? She is in the hospital with her child. I personally don;t know how she has the strength to even stand at this point, and the police expect her to do their job!!!! How does that work!!!! Hey police, go confiscate the phone yourselves!!!!!

20Nunya(1356 comments)posted 4 years ago

@fairnessv

This isn't the half of it,..

To put in unblemished candor. Nothing against the residents whom are hopeful that things will change there.

However, via the deplorable and indefensibly dysfunctional despots that has seized public disservice seats to pose as local government.

It's notoriously known that Warren Ohio officially isn't fit for anyone nor anything of human decency to as much as visit.

Aside from a mere handful of patrol personnel { I'd say 3 } and one member of their city council. Warren Ohio is besieged by a collective pack of incompetent and corrupt criminals.

That play parasitic hosts of a plethora of indignities and ideologies that makes them interlaced ingrates that perch as breeders of chaos.

No way in Hell can anybody explain it any different or dare oppose in any posture of defend against my description.

Anyone as much as contemplating as much as visiting such an area. Had better be CCW authorized and equipped with body Armour, and functional weaponry.

To include a damn good aim, no nonsense sense of awareness and a willingness to drop the first caustic zombie that dares mistaken's you for prey.

Where if the reason for your visit isn't to extract family, friend or one seeking to relocate. To me the visit would be a fruitless endeavor and senseless gamble.

21L0L(640 comments)posted 4 years ago

To fairnessv & nunya are you serious?? If I was that kids parent I would be doing anything in my power to assist the police in providing them anything they needed. Whats that? I have the video of the attack. Ok, let me get that right to you. No, instead she has the time to go on the camera and talk about the video but not get it for the police.

Censoredship, you just dont have any idea of what you're talking about. The ORIGINAL video is what will make or break the case and no you cant just get it from the cell phone company, you need the original. And before you complain and say you dont first complain about due process and the court system because they are the reason why its a requirement. Know a little about law before you spout off at the mouth about things you think can be done a certain way when they cant.

22L0L(640 comments)posted 4 years ago

....as long as they have the ORIGINAL. Without the original the copy is worthless because authenticity can not be proved. Can they charge the kid without it? Sure. Is it an airtight case with the original video? Yup, but not without it.

23woolyd(579 comments)posted 4 years ago

NUNYA i hope you dont mean Bob Dean is the sensible one. Ive watched some of the issues he has fought for and he doesnt want any freedom for the people

24TonyB(29 comments)posted 3 years, 12 months ago

Building Community Justice With Time Bank Youth Courts

If you think that young people are the solution and not the problem, then join our effort?

Help create Community Justice with Time Bank Youth Courts in the Mahoning Valley.

Visit http://tbmw.org/youthcourt

25Fairminded(20 comments)posted 3 years, 12 months ago

Animals, scum, savages etc... If only I could get pass the name calling I might be able to grasp a full understanding for everyones comments. I'm curious, what did you name callers use when Jordan Brown, the 11year old white kid from Wampum, PA was given a shotgun gy his own father used it to shoot his fathers PREGNANT fiancee killing her and the unborn child and then preceeds to catch the bus to school? Please shre with us some of those names! I really don't race has anything to do with this matter.

26Nunya(1356 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

Oh boy,.. LOL !!!

TomTom53,.. there's not a chance in the world you could raise my BP to such a level aside from MY laughing at you.

Also whatever you lured into entering a bond of matrimony with you had to have a veterinarian presiding over the neptual's,..you inept little tricked out twisted troll

DumbJJ,.. you're even funnier using your Unibrow as a hindquarters scratchpad for tattered little Tom Tom's diseased, abused and closet kept little bottom.

So for clarity,.. to me you bumble boys are even dumber than those that pre-programmed you as punchlines.

And bankrupt funnier than your trying to tender your three dollar bills at a treasury department.

So how's it feel being so genuinely laughed at and forced to give the community such a laugh at your expense,.. ROTFFLMAO !!!