Police target more in courthouse melee

Published: Sat, July 17, 2010 @ 12:09 a.m.

Charges mount in court-hall brawl

By Ashley Luthern

aluthern@vindy.com

YOUNGSTOWN

Police continue to charge people in a melee after the arraignment of a murder suspect, whose family has since spoken out against the violence.

Wade Shaw, 35, of Hudson Avenue, was arraigned Friday morning in Youngstown Municipal Court. He pleaded not guilty to charges of disorderly conduct, resisting arrest and failure to disperse and is being held in lieu of $1,500 bail for each charge in the Mahoning County jail.

Shaw and Ovidio Santiago, 40, were arrested after the video arraignment of Melvin S. Shaw II, 18, who is charged with the June 19 murder of Tracee Banks, 17, and attempted murder of Jamel Turner, 18, on the city’s West Side.

Santiago, the stepfather of Banks, was charged with disorderly conduct, and his pretrial hearing is scheduled for 11:30 a.m. July 28. He was not taken to jail.

Police also issued an arrest warrant for Clyde Hudson, Melvin Shaw’s brother, Friday morning for failure to disperse and disorderly conduct during the city hall fight.

Lisa Robinson, the mother of Melvin Shaw and Hudson, told police she and her family have been threatened and called for an end to the violence Friday afternoon at her Idlewood Avenue home.

“It’s getting hot and deep, and this violence needs to stop,” she said. “... I’m trying to get peace. All this violence keeps escalating.”

Other family members described Melvin as gentle person who enjoyed fixing cars.

“Melvin just loved people. I’ve never seen him be violent in my life,” said Sim Shaw, Melvin’s grandfather. “We don’t need violence. We don’t want to lose anyone else.”

Robinson emphasized Melvin’s cooperation with the murder investigation — which was highlighted by his attorney Thomas E. Zena to get a slightly reduced bond of $1.25 million.

Zena also represented Sim Shaw’s son, Wade, in court Friday morning and asked Judge Robert A. Douglas Jr. to consider that Wade is not involved in any pending investigations.

“In fairness, when you review the upstairs video ... Wade was trying to break up a fight,” Zena said, adding that police are still looking for at least two other people from the melee.

Zena defended Wade in 2007, when Wade pleaded guilty and was convicted of involuntary manslaughter in the December 2002 beating death of Archie Stanford, 44, of Parkwood Avenue.

Wade cooperated with authorities and reached a plea agreement in the Stanford case and for a felonious assault charge in the October 2003 shooting of Rasheid Brown.

Judge Maureen Sweeney of Mahoning County Common Pleas Court sentenced Wade to five years in prison, and he received credit for time served in the Mahoning County Justice Center, where he had been held since Dec. 12, 2003.

The family and friends of Melvin and Banks could meet again at Melvin’s preliminary trial at 10 a.m. July 23. Robinson wasn’t at Wednesday’s arraignment, but said she will be there Friday.

“These are real lives,” she said. “... I’m hurting for [Tracee Banks’] parents and Melvin.”

Comments

1foxyglo(372 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

who the hell was he to kill in the first place, could'nt take a let down. she was intitled to date who she wanted. life goes on, move on. but since he did'nt move on, now his life will be stopped the day he enters the big house (prison )

2Lifes2Short(3875 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

"Other family members described Melvin as gentle person who enjoyed fixing cars.

That's funny because there all gentle and loving people. Well they can't be that loving and gentle if you murder someone. Take another human life for something so trivial. There is not one reason to murder a INNOCENT person. That is nothing but a vicious animal.

3ziggypop(5 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

What is all the fuss about? Don't worry people, your beautiful non-corrupt Youngstown judicial system will make sure that justice prevails. (april fools) oops it's not april-but it is youngstown. I feel soo bad for mama, I wonder how many murders her sons didn't get caught for? They should be let out so that they could face their street justice system, or publicly execute the darlings!!!

4sky(38 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

I try not to be racist but its the truth.... ytown gets its bad rep because the majority of its residents race.... it is what it is and its not the kids at fault its generation after generation showing no love and respect to their children

5lovedrama(138 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

I got so confused reading about the families and all of their different last names and different last names of their mothers. Too many different daddies. animals...

6Stan(9923 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

“Melvin just loved people. I’ve never seen him be violent in my life,” said Sim Shaw, Melvin’s grandfather."

How dare they arrest a man of peace . If the police profile doesn't fit you must acquit !

7sky(38 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

stan you are more than likely a black jewish woman

8Nunya22(315 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

@sky This city gets a bad rep from all the people who contribute to the drama. It may be alot of black people in this city but others help contribute ignorance. What I noticed in this city is that there is alot of black, white, and puerto rican racists which is a big problem and has something to do with some of the crime not all of it.

@lovedrama Why were you so confused? I believe the vindy said who is who.

9Stan(9923 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

sky :

"stan you are more than likely a black jewish woman"

Wishful thinking on your part . Sorry but I am not equipped to be a Jewish woman even if I was to change my religion .

HOWSABOUTA KOSHER BLOW UP DOLL FOR YA ?

10Silence_Dogood(1341 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

lefty83
white mother f-----s

And like Stan, I am a little black Jewish Lady.

11borylie(790 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

How come the Rev's Jackson and Sharpton aren't here trying to stop the violence and preach to the blacks that having all these illegitimate babies is not helping their cause. I guess that they'd rather wait until a white is involved so that they can blame it on the whites and rabble-rouse. If their own leaders won't help then they'll continue to suffer and as a result whites will have collateral crime inflicted upon them. (Miss Fimognari)

12Silence_Dogood(1341 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

BOYCOTT THE NBA.THEY NAMED AFTER NOTHING BUTT A==HOLES.

Lefty83 look at YOUR POST and than tell me about correct spelling.Looks like the Struthers school system passed another one along.

13justonevoice(94 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

Why were all these people there in the first place? The pictures of these people show them to all be young, strong (obviously strong enough to be pushing, shoving and fighting) and obviously able bodied people who should have been working. It was a weekday in the middle of the day. Am I the only person who gets up and goes to work every day? And don't say there are no jobs because if you want a job badly enough, you can always get a job at McDonald's, etc. This is a bunch of people with too much time on their hands.

14menica(4 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

wow. these comments are too funny. sum1 commentd about clydes father, his father passed away along time ago.and others commented on their upbringing. lisa a good woman and rasied her kids well. what they chose to do when they left home was their decions.and as far as you people calling us animals and everyone having different names. what the hell does that have to do with the situatuin? the differnt names come from lisa kids having differnt fathers because of the death of her first husband.and as far as the other families different names they are different generations of family. i dont think it is anyones place to assume here. once again a man is presume innocent until proven guilty.and u all talking about people not having jobs because they were in court? come on now. why is there so much negativity here?

15justonevoice(94 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

@menica I can't speak for anyone else who posted here however, speaking for myself, here are some of my reasons for being negative.

1. It makes me angry that I work hard, everyday and half of my wages are taken from me and given to Welfare and Medicaid. I am a single mother who has never gotten so much as a dime of public assistance and I can't live paycheck to paycheck.

2. I feel negative when what's left of my paycheck after taxes goes to pay for health insurance for my child and myself and even though I PAY for this health insurance, I STILL can't afford to take myself or my child to the doctors when needed unless it's an extreme emergency because I can't afford the copays. I don't waltz into the emergency room every time my child has a runny nose or I farted sideways because i'm too lazy to make a doctors appointment and use the emergency room as my own personal medical clinic because Medicaid (otherwise known as the working tax payers) pays for it.

3. I'm negative because like many welfare recipients who manage to have a weekly standing hair appointment and are able to get their nails done once a week, I on the other hand, cut my own hair because my paycheck goes to paying rent (FULL RENT, not Section 8) and food (no food stamps here for this working mother) and the other bare necessities of life.

4. I'm negative because as a full time working mother, I could never attend my childs school activities that were scheduled during work hours yet, during the middle of the day on a weekday afternoon, the courthouse was full to the brim with people who are younger and stronger and more able bodied than I who had no where else to be that day while I was busting my ass at work.

Any other questions?

16Lifes2Short(3875 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

menica

"lisa a good woman and rasied her kids well."

That is a typical comment on every time someone murders someone. It's getting old. You have to have a very very cold heart to KILL another human being for no reason.

"and as far as you people calling us animals and everyone having different names. what the hell does that have to do with the situatuin?"

It don't matter if the person is white,black,yellow,purple,pink,green,orange or any color of the rainbow, a murderer is nothing but a ANIMAL, pure and simple. It's not OK to KILL another person. It's wrong. Especially a INNOCENT person. Animals don't know right from wrong, Human Beings do. Thus a murderer is a animal.

17VINDYAK(1799 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

To justonevoice - these felons are not qualified to work at McDonald's! Too big
of a rap sheet...theft, robberies, murder. Small business owners turn down people's applications with far less than that!

18jermuh(16 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

justonevoice, is it someone elses fault u had a child out of wedlock by a man that didnt care about u or ur child? u feel negative because the great white people u put n office are taking 2 much of ur taxes...certainly welfare isnt taking half. its always easier to blame someone else 4 ur FAILURE, if u were smarter u would have a better job and would b with ur babies daddy......also have any of u idiot commenters heard of second or third shift, that might explain y so many n the courtroom or how about i wanted 2 take the day off 4 this hearing to see if maybe justice would be served

19justsayin(42 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

@jermuh,

I wasn't planning on making a comment on this article until I read your ridiculous comments. It's obvious that you can't put together a sentence using proper grammar, punctuation or capitalization, but you also can't read very well. Justonevoice never said she had a child out of wedlock nor did she say anything about her circumstances regarding the child's father. It's obvious that you are a proud member of the subculture if you think a single mother working full time and not receiving public assistance is a failure. At least your post ended with some humor when you told that joke about those people in the courtroom working second or third shift. I'm still laughing.

20justonevoice(94 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

@jemuh

1. I have never had a child out of wedlock, I am divorced.

2. I have worked for the very same hospital for 22 years that you use as your own private medical clinic so that Medicaid will pay the bill and am proud to an employee there.

3. The great white people we've put into office? Are you speaking of our black president, our black mayor, our black police chief or our black bishop?

4. As far as half my paycheck not going to Medicaid, you know this because your welfare check isn't quite as big as you would like it to be perhaps?

5. As far as my getting a "better job", this is advice from someone who can't seem to spell or use correct grammar or punctuation.

Your post speaks volumes about your character, intellect, morals and ethics.

21Lifes2Short(3875 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

JEMUH

"its always easier to blame someone else 4 ur FAILURE"

By George I think you got it! Isn't this the crying rally when these young animals are arrested or charged with something. Blaming everyone else but the person in the mirror. justonevoice seems to be doing okay with what was dealt to her but you think shes a failure? Get real. Shes a asset to society unlike someone living off the government. Blaming the police, the white folks, racism, the weather, the sun, and on and on and on....Another typical remark thats getting old. It's always someones else's fault is the norm when they get busted for anything. Isn't it?

22woolyd(579 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

Damn Viny.com all i said was maybe if Wade Shaw wasnt in society then maybe we would be better off. No need to erase my freedom of expression.

23youngstown1122(2 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

Ok I think I've read enough of all these ignorant comments. It drives me crazy that people always comment on situations that they don't really know what's going on. The media loves to show the juicy part. Maybe they should of showed the entire surveillance tape. It would of showed that Lisa's kids are beyond a menace to society. Lisa is not that good of a woman, because if I recall right she had something to do with both of her baby daddy killings. Her kids are definitely a product of her.

As far as why we were not at work, it not that we are not employed, maybe a day off...... or like some not all jobs work in the summer.

24borylie(790 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

justonevoice,my situation is much different from yours,but I'm frustrated for the same reasons you stated. If there was more people like you setting good examples,we'd all be better off. Keep up the good fight,good things happen to good people.
P.S. And bad things happen to bad people.

25TB(1167 comments)posted 4 years, 1 month ago

I heard a rumor that one of the families harbors some serious drug activity.

You play in dirt, you get dirty.

26Boardman120(82 comments)posted 4 years, 1 month ago

'you people calling us animals and everyone having different names. what the hell does that have to do with the situatuin? the differnt names come from lisa kids having differnt fathers because of the death of her first husband.and as far as the other families different names they are different generations of family"

I don't know what's more disturbing - the fact that everyone in the family has different last names, or the apparent fact that you have no problem with this.

This is one of the biggest calamities in the black community. Upwards of 70% illegitimacy, and you don't see this as a problem!

Until your community realizes that no good comes from illegitimate births, your 'subculture' will continue to degenerate. And stories like these will be in the Vindicator, week after week.

27JME(801 comments)posted 4 years, 1 month ago

Exactly, and the Warren street fight and lack of cooperation from the adults is another perfect example.

28starofesther(168 comments)posted 4 years, 1 month ago

Life By The Spirit
16So I say, live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature. 17For the sinful nature desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the sinful nature. They are in conflict with each other, so that you do not do what you want. 18But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under law. 19The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God. 22But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. 24Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires. 25Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. 26Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other.

29uncle(12 comments)posted 4 years, 1 month ago

Sim Wade should be ashamed of himself. He raised two animals in Wade and Melvin Sr.(RIP)... These guys did so much dirt in the city, so i dont feel sorry for them. Melvin jr. is only following in his male role models foot steps... Wade and Melvin Sr attacked Andre Ballinger (YSU football stand out and the father of their niece) back in the mid 1990's and left him to die. Wade Shot his cousin or close child hood buddy Rasheid Brown. So its a pattern in this family, they dont care who they harm. And foe Sim to get on T.V and say we dont need no more Violence, he should have been saying that 20 years ago.

30Nunya(1356 comments)posted 4 years, 1 month ago

@Boardman120

Takes all kinds huh { you're silly as hell },..

See where I'll agree it would be nice for children to be brought up in a setting where staunch and responsible and effective parenting is provided.

However, your way off base of alleging " illegitimate " children are a problem and or siblings not bearing the same mother or father destines them for dysfunction is nuts.

See ever the term of " illegitimate " is a social castigation of such children. The only thing that creates chaos for a child is how they're treated and what they're forced to deal with.

Which sharing biological parents in no way places any child at any advantage over ones that are siblings that have a different mother or father.

See history, statistical studies and even what to some of us onlookers cite as common sense known that.

I and a number of others are siblings whom have the same mother and father and aren't of any advantage by that. To include I and a many others know of friends whom have different mothers and fathers and are great people.

Also when you contend " your " subculture. Is some outlandishly convoluted contention of crazed racism. Where you so falsely allege that siblings of different parents are exclusively a black relevance.

See in that composite breakdown of fact -vs- fiction. Reveals that you and your phony baloney contention. Complete with your false fabricated numbers that comprise your cloaked craziness. In and of it's collective self " illegitimized " every damn thing you're on and about.

See irony here is where not to cite Mr. Shaw's offspring as hellish. But his sons are both of namesake and family same parent products. Where via research the senior Shaw is that biological father of both sons. All reports, records and history reveal they lived in the same home and have the same mother as well.

Where just like many other parents. The senior Mr. Shaw and the respectable Mrs. Shaw whom is his marital wife and mother of the sons. Are two individuals that don't have any criminal record of discourse.

See that's just like the siblings of bother, sister and cousin caucasian family members that was recently picked up for running an elaborate crime ring.

See the same thing goes for Italians, Arabs, Greeks, Jews, Latinos, Asians and all the rest that make up our society.

31Nunya(1356 comments)posted 4 years, 1 month ago

PART II

So see now you try to roll that " your " and or " their " problem and that secular subculture line.

Someplace else like on Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Pluto or even blow more of it out Uranus. In your own silly little solar system where cloud 9 is more easily defined there Space case.

Point being people are people and who they'll become or how they'll turn out. Absolutely isn't determined by birthright, race, gender or sharing biological parents you idiotic imbecile.

To include hows that " heaven " in Boardman of yours. Where the guy that continues to rob the drug store for narcotics.

Was even such a reflection on his parents and " subculture " that he accosted that elderly citizen.

So how's all that working for you or your thimble headed theirs, yours and mine theory?

32briant(57 comments)posted 4 years, 1 month ago

Save money: Have him WALK THE PLANK: Saturday night around 11:00 p.m.- The length of South Ave.