Earthquake hits Washington, D.C., area; no injuries or damage reported

Published: Fri, July 16, 2010 @ 9:33 a.m.

WASHINGTON (AP) — A minor earthquake shook residents awake in the DC area early today, rattling windows and jostling dishes but apparently causing no serious damage.

And while Californians might scoff at the 3.6-magnitude quake, Susan Potter, a geophysicist at the U.S. Geological Survey, said it was the strongest to hit within 30 miles of D.C. since they began keeping records.

The quake hit at 5:04 a.m. EDT and was centered in the Rockville, Md., area, said Randy Baldwin, a geophysicist with Geological Survey’s National Earthquake Information Center. Baldwin said aftershocks could occur over the next couple days, but none had yet been reported. He said the aftershocks are generally of a smaller magnitude than the initial earthquake.

Police in Washington and in nearby Montgomery County, Md., said there were no immediate reports of injuries or damage.

Comments

1Lifes2Short(3875 comments)posted 4 years ago

Did Oak Hill get evacuated?

2boardmanneedschange(364 comments)posted 4 years ago

Insert Oak Hill evacuation comment here.

3youngstowntransplant(28 comments)posted 4 years ago

Haha no we weren't but I got my uneducated sit on my butt out of bed and ran out on my lawn "like a first grader" with my radio and listened for our closing so I could spend my day at the park with the kiddies hahahahahaha

4Silence_Dogood(1315 comments)posted 4 years ago

"oh my gosh, like all i could think of was like those two towers and how they fell, i like thought it was like the end of the world."
melissa

5sknirak(120 comments)posted 4 years ago

The earthquake is nothing compared to the JOLT they're gonna get come November.

If you aren't happy with your "saviour" and his policies, you BETTER act in November or kiss this country good-bye.