For those who don’t appreciate the value of Mill Creek Park ...

Published: Tue, July 13, 2010 @ 12:00 a.m.

For those who don’t appreciate the value of Mill Creek Park ...

I have felt compelled to write this letter for years, but have not done so. Well, here goes.

I wish to extend my thanks to those past and present for the great gift of Mill Creek Park. I am a lifelong resident of this community. I have had, and I continue to have, great moments at the park, thanks to our forefathers who had the foresight to set aside and preserve this beautiful landscape.

Many thanks to those personally charged to ensure the beauty of the landscape, from the manager right down the line to janitorial services.

I spend hours weekly enjoying your labor. I would be remiss if I failed to acknowledge all the volunteers; to you flower children, thanks

When visitors from out of town come, I have to show them this great park, and the blessings it holds.

I once traveled to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and hiked three miles, only to see a Mill, like Lanterman’s Mill, which was in my backyard.

I am grateful to one and all.

The best tax dollars I’ve ever spent. I do now, and will always support the park.

We as Americans live a fast paced life. There is nothing like being in nature to pull us back as we hear our higher power talking to us through the blowing wind, the birds chirping, the water flowing, etc.

If I left anyone out, I’m sorry.

Larry Bundy, Austintown

Niles knows how to celebrate

Applause, applause to the city of Niles for the absolutely awesome fireworks display on the Fourth of July. What a perfect Independence Day celebration for all to see, the most awesome one we have seen in a very long time.

The finale was superb. Everyone there had a great time. Our family thoroughly enjoyed the show. There was ample parking, plenty of places to sit and watch, the display started on time and lasted nearly a half an hour. Hats off to the people responsible for this holiday celebration.

Ed and JoAnn Winterbauer, McDonald

Comments

1burford(95 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

As a user of the park it seems that Mill Creek Park is being maintained and operated much better since the Probate judge expanded the park board and added people from Struthers and Canfield.Now it is more of a metropolitan park and these new people seem to be doing a good job.

It is a jewel of the valley. How many towns would love to have such a beautiful park.

2sknirak(120 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

For a park, it's not too bad. It's supposed to be the 2nd largest metropolitan park in the USA. Some parts of it are "nicer" than others. But on the whole, it's not too bad.

I notice no one from Austintown was considered worthy to be on the board. But Boardman and Canfield are represented. This ought to be an issue during the next election for probate judge.

3nojimbo(223 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

I agree it's a jewel. Many of the staff do a fine job. Have to give credit to the maintenance staff at Wick Recreation Area. They were very helpful during a recent weekend picnic. My concern is with some of the roads. West Golf Drive and Old Furnace Road near Pioneer Pavillion are in really bad condition. Never should have reached this point, especially with the extra funding as a countywide tax. Jury is still out on the Commissioners as a whole after last year's Director's contract fiasco.

4exposed(66 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

I was told that few if any people applied from Austintown to be on that board. It was an open application process. I applied and was not chosen but it was no big deal since they have a good board with members from Youngstown, Struthers, Boardman and Canfield. It is far more representative then it was before. Good job Judge Belinky.

5sq51(11 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

I walk the park almost daily.. There is nothing like the time spent there hearing and seeing nature. You can walk the same path every day of the week and see or hear something different. Those who maintain it are to be commended for thier great work. As far as the roads even the couple in need of repair are far better maintained than most in the city both winter and summer. Great Job! and Thanks to all those efforts.