10-foot gator bites off man’s hand in Fla. canal

Published: Mon, July 12, 2010 @ 11:09 a.m.

NAPLES, Fla. (AP) — Florida wildlife officials say a 10-foot alligator bit off a man’s hand while he was swimming in a canal with friends.

Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission spokeswoman Gabriella Ferraro says 18-year-old Timothy Delano of Naples is recovering at a hospital. Officials managed to catch the gator and retrieve the hand from its stomach, and doctors may be able to reattach the hand.

Ferraro says Delano was swimming with three friends around 9:30 p.m. Sunday when the alligator attacked.

The men swam to shore and drove to a gas station, where they called 911. Delano was flown by helicopter to a hospital.

Wildlife officials say people should stay out of freshwater canals and lakes this time of year because alligators are more active, especially around dawn and dusk.

Comments

1redvert(2064 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

Swimming in a canal in south Florida after dark, would suggest some alcohol may of been involved.

At least the hand should be preserved.

2redvert(2064 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

rocky14, what you are saying is that alligators obviously must have good taste!

Sometimes it is just too easy!!!

3dbinnc(51 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

Someone please explain how this became a political battle???

USA1 your clueless...you have no idea what your talking about. I lived in FLA and don't recall gators on the highways, freeways or roads. I'll give you swimming pools though.

The article was about a man lossing his hand, that's all. It happens every year and RedVert, your probably correct.

4jrolley325(800 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

somebody takes politics way too seriously. over 2100 posts and probably 99% of them are him trying to spread his political agenda, regardless of how irrelevant it is to the story. get a life, dude.

5youngstowncutie(5 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

@redvert, I agree with you, and why would they swim there at night.

I know this is a little bit off topic, but I am thinking of moving to Youngstown and can someone tell me where I should go online to see rental apartments there. I want to find a website that the property description is fully explained and that the rent can be sorted from high to low price. I know craiglist doesn’t allow this sorting by rent feature.

So, can I have some suggestions as to where can I go online to find rental apartments in Youngstown? Thanks.

6Stan(9923 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

Where are the liberals championing for gators rights ? This poor gator was killed retrieving that partially digested hand . It cannot be successfully reattached after the gators stomach contents infected the tissue with a multitude of bacteria .

EATING MORE WILD GATOR AND MAKING GATOR LEATHER PRODUCTS WOULD LIMIT THESE ATTACKS .

IT'S ALL GOOD !

7redvert(2064 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

cutie, do you know anyone in the Youngstown area that could advise you on what areas to avoid. I am sure you would find a number of apartments that would be pretty cheap because the area is not the most desirable. If you have a job waiting perhaps someone in the company could help you. I am not that knowledgeable on apartments in this area but realistically, the better areas south of the city proper would be Canfield , Poland or even New Middletown. You would not be far from I-680 which can move you from one end of town to the other in 10 minutes or so. Look at an overview on Google earth. I can not say anything about north, east or west of the city.

I know this isn't much help but perhaps someone else will be able to assist you.

8seminole(476 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

cutie, DO NOT MOVE TO BOARDMAN!!! It is ghetto now, regardless of how great the people that have never left her think it is...you can easily find cheap apartments but the thugs are creeping all over youngstown and Boardman. It will soon trickle to Poland and Canfield, no way to stop ghetto sprawl with the current administration in place...Wow, did I turn this political?...seriously, unless you have a job opportunity I would avoid this area completely. Crime is rampant and increasing weekly. There is no control and the surrounding 'burbs are being infected now. Go out towards New Springfield, New Middletown, towns several miles from the Ytown area and it's immediate suburbs. Good Luck!

9youngstowncutie(5 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

@USA1, redvert, and seminole, thank you for your information. I found a great website for finding apartments for rent in Youngstown called www.AceRenting.com

Also I want to buy a used car in Youngstown area because I am thinking to move there soon. Where can I go online to look for used cars for sale by owner in Youngstown? I need a price range from high to low for all makes and models. Craiglist doesn’t allow this price range feature.

So, can I have some suggestions as to where can I go online to find used cars for sale by owners in Youngstown? Thank you once again.

10youngstowncutie(5 comments)posted 4 years, 1 month ago

I just found a great car for sale by owner in Youngstown at www.acewebads.com

11Stan(9923 comments)posted 4 years, 1 month ago

youngstowncutie :

I have an experienced VW for sale .

Best offer over $4000. will get it .

HERE IS A PICTURE