City needs a muzzle law

Published: Sun, January 24, 2010 @ 12:00 a.m.

EDITOR:

My wife and I were hiking through the trails of Mill Creek Park last week when we encountered a man walking his large rottweiler on a leash heading toward us. The man had great difficulty in trying to restrain his dog who was growling and lunging at us. The man begged for us to please move quickly through the trail.

The leash law passed by the city of Youngstown was a good idea, but more has to be done especially when a dog that size can drag his owner or break loose and inflict harm to a person.

I believe a muzzle law should be enacted, especially on vicious large dogs entering with their owners through Mill Creek Park or at our Metro Park bikeway trails. (New York City enforces a muzzle law)

I’m sure many citizens throughout would agree.

JOSE A. COLON Youngstown

Comments

1Ginger76(178 comments)posted 4 years, 7 months ago

Assuming the ill-trained rottie (due to a stupid owner) was brown and black, are brown and black dogs the only dogs to be considered vicious? What exactly is the description, size, shape color of a vicious dog?

2Heard_it_all_before(62 comments)posted 4 years, 7 months ago

It seems to me that a large, lunging, snarling Rotweiller meets the definition, trained or not. Certain breeds have a less than desirable record (think Pit Bull), and there are many prominent cases of attacks by these dogs. Yet I don't read many stories about renegade toy poodles or cocker spaniels. I agree that the owner/handler should be responsible for the behavior of their dog, but large dogs are a greater threat than small ones. People and children using the park should not have to worry about being bitten while walking or running. The prey drive of some breeds is so strong that it creates unacceptable risk in such a setting.

3Ginger76(178 comments)posted 4 years, 7 months ago

Its funny to lump certain dog breeds into a category of “biters”. I’ve only been bitten by a Yorkie, Border Collie and most recently by my friends own American Bull Dog. My lab was almost killed by a German Sheppard, and bitten by a Dalmatian. She now has trust issues with dogs she doesn’t know –esp ones larger than her.
I've never been bitten by a dog of a certain less desirable record...I own a pit mix also.
Much of what is misunderstood is the media and how they portray awesome people pleasing breeds that have been exploited by worthless owners/handlers.
If we could use this outlet to educate instead of continuing the mass hate/disregard, we would all be in a better place.

4Heard_it_all_before(62 comments)posted 4 years, 7 months ago

For the most part, I agree with you. The mere fact that the more worthless owners choose certain breeds speaks to the breeds' natural characteristics that lend themselves to aggression. It is possible to train aggression out of most dogs and to help them be good members of society, but no one wants to meet a big dog with an attitude in the park...

5AtownParent(562 comments)posted 4 years, 7 months ago

Don't punish the dog, punish the owner. That guy should have been reported and sited for bringing an animal with people aggression issues into the public at all.

6ads(109 comments)posted 4 years, 7 months ago

I have to agree with Ginger.. the breed has nothing to do with it. I have been bitten by a weiner dog, beagle and a lab. The media only reports on the BIG BAD VICIOUS dogs when they bite. The Pitt gets a bad rap because of bad owners, they originally were a great natured dog, till bad people got ahold of them. People need to stop labeling the breed, it's discrimination. Not all big dogs are bad... I can say from expierence, because I am a proud owner of 2 BIG BAD DOGS!!

7Ginger76(178 comments)posted 4 years, 7 months ago

Refusing to follow in the steps of stereo types, I also have to ponder the term "ankle biter". Usually small terrier breed dogs...also known as "yappers". But I am bigger than stereo types...I will judge each dogs personality, as I do people.
Woof.

8Ginger76(178 comments)posted 4 years, 7 months ago

o brother.

9ads(109 comments)posted 4 years, 7 months ago

jessiedavid, get real! So should we do the same with classes of people who are known for bad behavior??

10mom8890(5 comments)posted 4 years, 7 months ago

Ok, I agree that dogs should be muzzled when in public just as a precaution. But I have to say as I read the comments on here I couldn't help but laugh. Ginger76, and ADS seriously you have been bitten by three different types of dogs??? I don't think we should be blaming the dogs for those bites sounds to me like both of you are the ones with the issues...LOL. Thanks for the laughs, much appreciated!!!