Take the Neighbors Poll — When mom-n-pop stores close, what do you miss?

Published: Thu, January 21, 2010 @ 8:23 a.m.
What is most important to you about locally owned stores?
Reader poll
  • More of the profits stay in my town.24%13 votes
  • I think they offer more personal service.51%28 votes
  • It’s quicker: I’m in, I buy, I’m out.11%6 votes
  • I know the owner.1%1 vote
  • Small doesn’t work for me as well as box stores.9%5 votes
  • Small doesn’t work for me as well as the internet.1%1 vote

54 total votes.

Poland and Canfield will say goodbye to long-time neighborhood pharmacies.

It made the Neighbors staff want to know: What stands out about small, mom-n-pop shops?

Go to the Neighbors Web sites that are linked to vindy.com and find the poll and vote.

We'd also be thrilled if you left a comment or two.

Comments

1Ytownboy(142 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

How about Youngstown? No interest there, huh? The state of the roads in many Y town neighborhoods are appalling!

2Stan(9923 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

It looks like the boondocks . So what's wrong with the road ?

3toddfranko(97 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

Ytownboy:
Plenty of interest in opinions on all roads, and you just expressed one. Thanks.
Franko

4UnionForever(1470 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

The valley reoads are terrible. Why should we pay such high taxes and get such poor service from the city and county? Makes no sense to me!!!

5AtownParent(558 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

Man you people miss the most obvious don't you. The YOUNGSTOWN Vindicator is the representative for the city so therefore the city residents aren't the neighbors, the suburbs are. Geez, get over the everyone is out to get me mentality.

Anyway, for the question, the roads in Atown were crap and some still are snow covered. Canfield's roads are very well maintained.

6AtownParent(558 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

I don't think they do either Slim.

7Silence_Dogood(1216 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

Town Parent
I think you might have missed his point as well. Just like the CRIME BLOTTER shows most communities, the Vindy fails to show Youngstowns. If they did it would ADD about five pages to the Paper so I quess it is a cost issue.

8AtownParent(558 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

That's because Youngstowns crime is reported in major stories constantly throughout the day. Why is the neighbor concept such a difficult thing to understand?

9joesmoe(48 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

I live on the border of YTOWN and Boardman, in the city, and the roads are horrible. I have only seen a plow once since Christmas. We are the ones still paying taxes in the city and we get nothing for it. But go onto one of the side streets in the lower southside and its clear. What is taht about. Are the street corner business people paying for the extra service (HAHA)!!

10antiytown(2 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

this town is a joke , i live in y town cornersburg, and sorry to take your conccept page canfield,poland,austintown but there isent a page for y town and sence the vindy is the youngstown town paper, i guess your barrowing our space anyhow. our street saw one plow 7 days after the snow started and the roads suck, holes bigger than my truck!the city and county are quick to take tax dollers and even faster to say there broke. i hate this dump of a town with its cocorrupt politicians and filthy slums. now that youngstown has broke me in on driving pothole filled, unplowed country like roads, im moving to the country one county south where my taxs are $200 dollers more a year for 12 and a quarter acres more land than the curent 1/4 acer city squat lot that i hate to own now. good bie y town, cant say i would give one crap if this god forsaken town burnt to the ground tommarow, infact i think the world would be a lil better place for it

11RamIt(11 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

The roads in Austintown are horrible. I live in the neighborhood around Darbyshire and Kirk and they just laid salt today. They ran a plow over a week ago, but dropped no salt. Totally ridiculous. My dad lives across Kirk on springmeadow and it's just as bad.

12Sheridan(1 comment)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

What a waste of money (plowing with only 1" of snow on the road). Snow plows remove nothing when there is only 1 inch of snow on the road and temperatures forcast to rise above freezing later in the day! If anyone can not drive in a couple of inches of snow they should not drive at all. With the township looking for funds to operate this type of stupid spending needs to stop. Only the snow plow drivers benefited because it kept them working. Snow plows should never be used unless there is over three inches of snow on the road, ice, or a forcast of lower temps and additional accumulations. No wonder the township has no money!!

13planforthebest(53 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

I thought this thread was about mom-and-pop stores, not roads...

When I was a little girl, there used to be a store at the edge of our neighborhood called Suburban Dairy. We used to get cheap candy and Chocolate Soldiers there. Inside it smelled of candy, fresh bread, spilled beer and hot dogs.

Some of the people at the counter were friendly, some grumpy.

When we were older, like late elementary school or early junior high, they sponsored our softball team. We never won, but the next year they would sponsor us again because we were the neighborhood team in the city league. We never even had to ask, they just automatically sponsored us each year.

The store was destroyed by the tornado in 1985. Now a Convenient sits there. I don't know if it's owned by the same people.