Sorry, no featured jobs currently.

Democrats fail the Valley

Published: Mon, January 18, 2010 @ 12:00 a.m.

Democrats fail the Valley

EDITOR:

Last Thursday, the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development awarded $2 billion in federal funding to economically depressed areas to spur economic development and jobs. Of that $2 billion, the Mahoning Valley will be receiving nothing. Although Congressmen Tim Ryan, D-17th, claims he is, “shocked and obviously disappointed” by the news, nobody in the Mahoning Valley should be surprised.

For much of the past 40 years, notwithstanding the six years Republican Lyle Williams served in Congress, the Mahoning Valley has blindly voted for the Democratic Party to serve us at the local, state, and national level. Time after time, the Democrats we elect take the Mahoning Valley for granted because they know they will continue to be elected whether they deserve it or not. As far as I am concerned, the status quo politically in our area is despicable and embarrassing to say the least.

Let me provide some examples of the Democrats failing our area over the years. In June of last year, local communities teamed up and applied for $33.2 million in HUD funding to be used for economic development, to create jobs, and to aid in demolition efforts throughout the Mahoning Valley. Despite having two Democratic congressmen, Democratic mayors in Youngstown and Warren, and giving Barack Obama 63 percent of the vote in the Mahoning Valley, our area received nothing in return.

In 1992, President Bill Clinton promised a Government Accountability Office right here in the Mahoning Valley; 18 years later, there is no such office.

In addition to those two failures, job creation has been nonexistent in the Democrats’ reign over the past 40 years. Thirty years after the steel mills began to close at a rapid pace in our region, our economy is still without any new industries to create good paying jobs in our area. Why is it that Pittsburgh, a city that faced similar problems to ours, is now a booming metropolitan area, while we sit on the sidelines? I will tell you why: Their politicians did not sit on their hands and take their voters for granted..

I am challenging the voters of the Mahoning Valley to go one election without voting down the party line and giving the Democrats complete control of the Mahoning Valley. If there was ever a time to hold Tim Ryan, Charlie Wilson, or any Democrat holding a statewide position accountable, this is the year. It is time for Independents and Republicans to have their shot at improving the Mahoning Valley, because the Democrats have failed to improve our area.

MICHAEL METZINGER

Youngstown

The great digital divide

EDITOR:

Regarding the recent letter from the woman in Boardman, I too am upset about how we had to buy the converter boxes so that we could watch local stations.

I had someone set the box up for us. I even had to buy another antenna. After all this, there are times that I will have to reprogram the TV several days in a row in order to even watch it. And then sometimes that does not even work.

We were happy with the 3 channels that we were getting. Now there are days that we barely get one channel.

KATHLEEN FERENCAK

Hubbard

Comments

1valleyred(1094 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

Thanks USA1. I appreciate all the comments I received today on my letter. Although it means a lot to me, what I truly want i others to speak out against the status quo of our local government so we can get these politicians out of office and get some new, young, bright residents in charge of our community.

2pit_bull_marley(291 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

MIKE

Enjoyed the article. However, the people of the valley will cont to accept false promises and will vote the same Democrats into office. On the other hand, I do hear more neg. comments from both parties this year. I fear however, that most people that take the time to read the article are already voters. You would have to reach those that do vote and do not take the time took look anything. They take the manipulators bate every time!

KATHEY

Just bought the converter today and then an antenna...and got lots of pixels and poor picture quality. Should we laugh or cry?

3pit_bull_marley(291 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

They do sell a booster for the antenna, but at this rate you might as well get a dish or cable. But if you live in Girard, dont get DTV. They never upgraded the cable wires in our area and they are not going to because its not "cost effective"

So if you do get DTV, dont get the upgrade, stick with the basics. The fact they advertise in our area and they are aware of the issue as they advertise it is fraud. When you call and ask them, they tell you they are having issues in that area and they are fixing it...but they never get it fixed. So I dumped DTV. The service man who removes the box is not an employee of DTV. I asked him what the problem was. They never upgraded our area and they arent going to. Thats wrong!!! And they lie to you!

4Nonsocialist(710 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

Michael,

Great article. Factual, articulate and unemotional.

I applaud and admire your efforts to reform the Y-town voters self-destructive behavior. Understand, however, that the DSP/Union complex plays dirty. The more you stand forth in your beliefs, the rougher they will be. You will be threatened, smeared and possibly much worse.

I believe your father was a good friend of mine in our younger years. We both graduated from UHS together. I hope he is well.

5valleyred(1094 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

He is doing well and do not worry, I am not going to go down quietly. When I am passionate about something, you can bet I will be vocal about it.

It will take a lot to shut me up!

6SickofJimbo(140 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

Tim "once a cheat/always a cheat" Ryan should look at what Scott Brown did in Mass. He won as a candidate for the people not for the special interests aka Pelosi. You are a follower/wannabe/never had real job/government leach/cheat that just doesn't get it.

7thepotstirrer(67 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

Hey Timmy Ryan,
You better update your resume, November is only 11 months away. Maybe you could join Political Ladders, a new job search engine for Democrats!

Uber-Liberal Massachussetts just elected a Republican Senator to fill Ted Kennedy's seat!! Please continue to push health care Tim & Charlie, you might need it's benefits on the unemployment line.

8valleyred(1094 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

Great night for America. Now our mission begins tomorrow. Vote out Tim Ryan!
Vote out Chalie Wilson!

9steelerman09(111 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

We can complain all we want, but nothing will change. My sister lives in Cincy and it is VERY RED down there. A guy came up to me, asked where I was from, and laughed....saying, "Your part of the state ALWAYS goes Blue...no matter who runs." It is true. The Valley loves them Democraps!

10SickofJimbo(140 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

Timmy still doesn't get it.
HE always has to wait to see what Pelosi and Obama have to say and he chirps away. What a follower! What a waste! He never had to make a payroll; never had to pay for his employees' insurance He has always been on the public trough.

11AXLE69(181 comments)posted 4 years, 5 months ago

Yea usa1 pro conservaterican,are you talking about the union(UAW) that helped you live a comfortable life for the 24 yrs you were a member at GM.I`m surprised your conservarats in the area even trust you,since you were a socialist for 24 yrs.LOL.Hypocrisy is thy middle mane.