West Side man found shot to death on North Side

Published: Sun, January 3, 2010 @ 6:40 p.m.

YOUNGSTOWN — Police continue to investigate the death of 30-year-old Dene Montgomery of 55 Wesley Ave., who was found shot to death in front of the front door of a house on the North Side Saturday evening.

A friend of Montgomery’s said he and Montgomery drove to the house at 232 Lora Ave. so that Montgomery could meet a woman. The witness saw a woman in the picture window. Montgomery went inside, and the friend heard two shots being fired, saw gun flashes and called 911 at about 9:30 p.m.

Police searched the house but didn't locate the 45-year-old resident of the home, but he arrived later and spoke to the police. The female was not located.

A gun was found next to Montgomery, who was pronounced dead at the scene.

It is not yet known whether Montgomery fired his gun, said Capt. Rod Foley of the Youngstown Police Department.

Read the full story Monday in The Vindicator and on Vindy.com.

Comments

1redvert(2064 comments)posted 4 years, 8 months ago

Well, we need to shoot a North Side guy on the West Side to even things up!

West Side guys should know better than to try to hook up with North Side women.

We got a early start this year!

2TheLostPatrol(756 comments)posted 4 years, 8 months ago

Actually, the West Side ceased to be the "West Side" about ten years ago. It is a now an extension of the lower South Side accessible via Edwards Street and Mahoning Avenue. When venturing into what used to be "The Old West Side", use extreme caution, it is not what it used to be.

3Stan(9923 comments)posted 4 years, 8 months ago

That area on the Northside has an infestation of career criminals . Dene Montgomery may not have known what he was getting himself into . It looks like the womans friend didn't want any competition for her . Life is cheap in the area .

4Truckerswidow(16 comments)posted 4 years, 8 months ago

It surely isn't. I'm trained to protect myself.

5Lifes2Short(3875 comments)posted 4 years, 8 months ago

Bring back the "Wedgewood Rats" lol

6janeyblue(227 comments)posted 4 years, 8 months ago

thy woman is named crack! so he pulled a gun on his dealer and got popped first. one less crackhead. and the loss is?????? one less crackhead!
and yes the west side is a sewer! from now on no more westside merchants...all done by internet and snail mail.
what was jays plan? 2010 something? oh yeah tear down all of downtown and pave it and charge to park so when you get a ticket from ypd for doing 61 on 680 you have to go to the rat hole police station to pay it. just mind the junkies shootin up and smokin crack in broad daylight! and dont forget a hazmat suit and respirator because the stench will knock you out!
no wonder 90% of my friends have moved outta here!
pretty sure this isnt a record tho..usually the first shooting is on Jan 1! Musta been too cold!

7janeyblue(227 comments)posted 4 years, 8 months ago

That was a typo! I meant to say for doing 51 !!!

8howardinyoungstown(591 comments)posted 4 years, 8 months ago

I live in the Belle Vista neighborhood on the West Side and have found it to be a safe and friendly neighborhood.

Maybe all the negativity some of you are spouting is coming back to haunt you.

9Stan(9923 comments)posted 4 years, 8 months ago

Safety is like the weather and subject to change at anytime . If you have what the subculture wants you will be targeted .

10adb5332(1 comment)posted 4 years, 8 months ago

I would just like to say that some of these people don't know what the hell they are talking about. How do you judge someone when you or anyone else does not know what happened. Dene has been my friend since we were in the seventh grade. He was not a crackhead so get your ish straight. He was loved by so many people and never went out of his way to hurt anyone. And in no way was his life cheap. You really need to watch the comments that are made, because his family and friends are reading this stuff. Have a little respect.

11choc(4 comments)posted 4 years, 8 months ago

I agree! When u don't know what the hell u r talking about it's best to say nothing at all. I too knew Dene Montgomery and in no way was he on drugs!!!!!!!!! He would go out his way to help anyone! He was well-mannered, well liked,very kind hearted, highly educated and loved by many!!!!!!!! It's sad that some cowards took such a precious and innocent life. There will be justice!!!!!!!!!!! I hope the police find the cowards that did this!!!!! My prayers are with his Mom and family during this difficult time.

12laurastraightup(1 comment)posted 4 years, 8 months ago

I too knew Dene. He worked as one of my technicians (I will not say the name of the facility). Denes' family & his friends know where he worked. Dene was a great guy. He was very intelligent & knew his work well. I have to say too that he was not on drugs. He was a very responsible, very respectful man at our facility. Many times he has been there to help me and other co-workers. He was very good with computers. My heart goes out to his dear family. I am very sorry for your loss. He was a very sweet man. I wish I could be there to hug everyone of you. My heart fell to the floor with disbelief when I heard what had happened. Then when I actually read it I was in shock. He is now an angel watching from above, knowing we loved him.

13bigmamma4383(16 comments)posted 4 years, 7 months ago

For all you ass holes i am denes cousin and my cousin was no crack head so who ever wrote that nasty stuff is a crack head some no good nigga set him up it wasnt even over no bitch ass girl they are hating on him because they want what he had so they killed him so whoever did it will get whats coming to them so i hope god have mercer on there soul my cousin did not deserve that he did not bother anyone... if you dont have nothing good to say about him dont say nothing at all his family is going through hard times and we dont like reading this stuff about some one we love....

14bigmamma4383(16 comments)posted 4 years, 7 months ago

Thank you this is from all dene's family that stayed by are family and prayer for us thank you we love you all...

15Stan(9923 comments)posted 4 years, 7 months ago

Well bigmamma4383 ,

The investigation into Big Dene's death seems to have stalled . My suggestion is to put pressure on Police Chief Jimmy Hughes and Mayor Jay Williams to keep you informed on their progress . Pressure by Dene's family may be the only way to get justice .

16bigmamma4383(16 comments)posted 4 years, 7 months ago

We his family have been on it but they said it is being taking care of but only time will tell

17Maroussia(1 comment)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

It will be great to watch West Side Story, i have bought tickets from
http://ticketfront.com/event/West_Sid... looking forward to it.

18Iwasright(1 comment)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

Was eating at a Westside restaurant and was looking out the window and wondering wtf happened to this side of town. Notice east part of austintown is looking bad too