Ryan looks to continue ‘Mahoning miracle’

Published: Thu, February 18, 2010 @ 12:10 a.m.

Ryan looks to continue ‘Mahoning miracle’

By Don Shilling

photo

U.S. Rep. Tim Ryan (D-17)

photo

NEW COMPANY: Kevin O’Brien, chief executive officer of Revere Data, announces his company is relocating a research center’s operations from India to downtown Youngstown. Congressman Tim Ryan is at the left.

HOWLAND — Tim Ryan, who filed petitions Wednesday to run for re-election to Congress, told a gathering that “the veil of corruption” has been lifted in the Mahoning Valley and an economic revival is under way.

He said momentum is building from investments being made by General Motors, V&M Star Steel and a San Francisco research company.

“We can get back to where we were in the ’40s, ’50s and ’60s,” Ryan told about 225 people at Leo’s Ristorante here. “We are primed to make it happen. This is going to be the miracle on the Mahoning [River].”

Ryan, of Niles, D-17th, didn’t mention the upcoming election in his speech at a Youngstown/Warren Regional Chamber luncheon, but afterward he went to the Trumbull County Board of Elections to file his petitions to run for his fifth term.

“We’re not done yet. There’s more work to be done, and I’m excited to do it,” Ryan said in an interview after the luncheon.

Ex-Girard Councilman Dan Moadus has filed to run against Ryan in the May primary. M.E. “Bing” Henderson of Tallmadge is running for the Republican nomination for the district, which covers portions of Mahoning, Trumbull, Portage and Summit counties.

Ryan started his speech by saying the key to attracting recent corporate investments has been an effort to establish “political credibility.” He said corporate executives would not invest in this area in the past because they were concerned they would have to pay bribes to politicians.

“We have lifted the veil of corruption in the Mahoning Valley, and things are happening because of that,” he said.

Also assisting in the area’s new image have been labor-management cooperation, establishing research centers at Youngstown State University, business incubators in Youngstown and Warren, the chamber’s international business recruiting efforts and the beefing up the Western Reserve Port Authority and its financing abilities, he said.

A decade ago, the area was not prepared for the telecommunications and Internet revolutions.

“We flat out missed them in this community. We had our head buried in the sand,” he said.

Now, the area is preparing to be part of business expansions in the clean-energy industry, he said, noting that the incubator in Warren is focusing on developing technology for that industry.

Plus, private investors who are creating a clean-technology incubator in the Ohio Works Industrial Park in Youngstown have been researching empty industrial buildings in the area so they can have places for spin-off companies to locate, he said.

Job announcements this week show how perceptions of the Valley are changing across the nation and abroad, he said.

V&M Star, which is owned by a French company, chose Youngstown for its new $650 million pipe mill.

Revere Data, a San Francisco firm, is creating a 10-person staff in downtown Youngstown that could reach 100 in two years. Revere, which provides information to institutional investors, is moving the work from India because of this area’s low operating costs and stable work force.

Ryan, who praised the chamber for its recent trips to Asia and Israel, said the remarks from Revere officials caused him to think he should travel to India and New York to promote the Valley to other companies that do similar work.

“We’re moving in the right direction, and the world is watching,” he said.

shilling@vindy.com

Comments

1valleyred(1099 comments)posted 4 years, 9 months ago

My response to Tim Ryan: http://mvred.com/index.php/archives/l...

2Youngstown(19 comments)posted 4 years, 9 months ago

Obviously, this story has highlighted the Congressman's memorable quotes. For what politician don't they do that for?

Tim Ryan gave an amazing speech yesterday with pretty substantive points. Paulb, exactly correct: we are at a seed stage still - but the business development that has occurred in the area has been unprecedented and unlike anything the Valley has seen in years.

With current and pending construction under way, over 1,000 building trades jobs will be created over the next 18 months.

350 jobs may not seem like a lot, but think about it. Say each has an after-tax take home pay of $21,000. That's $21,000 in disposable income that is being pumped into the Valley.

350 x $21,000 = $7,350,000 of DISPOSABLE INCOME IN THE MAHONING VALLEY.

What's the number one way to stimulate the economy? Consumption.

Revere Data of San Fransisco just moved their research team from New Dehli, India, to Youngstown, OH.

Is this not enough to appease the naysayers? This is called the turning point - you are witnessing it - and you are being too impatient.

Rome wasn't built in a day, and turning the Valley into a prosperous economic Valley won't happen in a day either. But we've further in the last 8 years with Tim Ryan than we did with the political corruption of the 80s and 90s combined.

3Ybi(7 comments)posted 4 years, 9 months ago

Excuse me...but $1.5 BILLION has been invested to expand the manufacturing capacity of the Mahoning Valley in JUST the last two years alone. That doesn't make you hopeful? Name a single other community in the country that comes close to that investment.

GM invested $350million for get the Cruse to Lordstown.

Exal Corp. is building a $400million new plant on Salt Springs Road in Youngstown

Patriot Metals has begun building a $92million steel forging and rolling plant in North Jackson.

And Reinforcement Systems has a new $28million plant underway in Warren.

Now argue those facts.

4valleyred(1099 comments)posted 4 years, 9 months ago

Here is a fact for you: 270 workers at the Denman Tire plant in Leavittsburg are on track to lose their jobs this year. Source: http://www.wfmj.com/Global/story.asp?...

We cannot rely on manufacturing to get this area back. Areas that faced similar problems to ours in the 70s and 80s did not sit around and wait for manufacturing to return, they were -proactive- and went forth attracting new forms of business to town.

So yes it is great we got 350 steel jobs coming to town and around the same amount in temporary construction jobs, we are still shedding jobs here locally.

5Ybi(7 comments)posted 4 years, 9 months ago

Agreed, we can not rely on just manufacturing jobs. We need to be as broadly based as possible. Like the 100 high tech jobs Revere Data is hoping to create in the next two years. Like the 180 high tech jobs that Turning Technologies has already created.

But, a $1.5BILLION investment in EXPANDING our manufacturing capability in the last 2 years is nothing short of a miracle.

And there are a lot of people working hard everyday to improve on those aforementioned results.

So I'd ask you this, valleyred. Other than being a keyboard superhero, what is your contribution?

6valleyred(1099 comments)posted 4 years, 9 months ago

YBI, considering I am 20 years old, why not ask me in ten to fifteen years and I'll tell you then. At this young age, there isn't all that much I can do, hence the reason I've been blogging for two years now.

If you read my site, I am offering my solutions.

7Ybi(7 comments)posted 4 years, 9 months ago

Valleyred, I know how old you are,because I've read your blog. But I don't give free passes to anyone just because they are 20 years old. Too much needs to be done.

8valleyred(1099 comments)posted 4 years, 9 months ago

I am not an elected official so I do what I try to do. I offer my opinion and try to inform other people about the issues. I am a huge advocate of this area and have no intentions of ever leaving. I am a big supporter of YSU not only in the classroom, but also in the athletic arena.

What do you want out of me? I hope to contribute one day in the business sector of this community.

9hoolio(1 comment)posted 4 years, 9 months ago

When an estimated 2000 manufacturing jobs are lost and a pipe dream of creating 350 semi permament jobs until our elected officials sell them out to NAFTA, this is nothing for Tim Ryan to gloat about. The stimulus is to allso help keep existing jobs,ex.Denman Tire,afloat. Yes it's good once them new jobs are here but we're loosing jobs here more than we're getting on his watch.

10cambridge(3049 comments)posted 4 years, 9 months ago

valleyred....Why don't you get back to us in ten or fifteen years with some experience to back up your opinions. Talking about something you have never done rings a little hollow. AT 20 years old you don't even know what you don't know yet.

11valleyred(1099 comments)posted 4 years, 9 months ago

Cambridge, I may be 20, but just out of curiosity what did I say that you don't like or agree with me on? Sure I am rather young, but considering our politicians haven't come up with any new ideas to create jobs here, I see nothing wrong with someone like me expressing my opinion on how to create jobs here.

Just because I am 20 doesn't make me naive Cambridge. You can try to insult my intelligence, but it won't work.