Ryan says there’ll be a ‘miracle on the Mahoning.’

Published: Wed, February 17, 2010 @ 3:18 p.m.

HOWLAND — Tim Ryan, who filed petitions today to run for re-election to Congress, told a gathering that an economic revival of the Mahoning Valley is under way.

Ryan of Niles, D-17th, said momentum is building from investments being made by General Motors, V&M Star and a San Francisco research company.

“We can get back to when where we were in the ‘40s, ‘50s and ‘60s,” Ryan told about 225 people at Leo’s Ristorante in Howland. “We are primed to make it happen. This is going to be the miracle on the Mahoning.”

For the complete story, see Thursday’s Vindicator or www.vindy.com.

Comments

1valleytransplant(37 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

Has anyone checked the grave of the deceased congressman, Michael J. Kirwan? I guess anything's possible in the Valley. How about building some more blimps, Avanties, bring back Sheet&Tube...

2jeratboy(127 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

To get back to the 40's,50's, and 60's, we would need a deal like V&M every week for a few years.

3personalresponsibility(11 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

“We can get back to when where we were in the ‘40s, ‘50s and ‘60s,” That is a lie, best told by a politician. You can say it will get better and I am sure it will, but to say that the Mahoning Valley will be as populated or as prosperous, in our lifetimes, as it was in its heyday is just a lie told to placate voters.

4candystriper(575 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

he must be talking about the value of homes...lol

5cambridge(2995 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

The Moaning Valley saved from a bailout by a black guy and investments from two socialist countries and San Francisco. You gotta love it.

6palbubba(664 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

Another bold faced lie told by another politician seeking reelection. Positive news is always good, but why do politicians have to lie in the aftermath of the good news. Back to where we were, probably never. If our elected politicians are so great how about fixing a bankrupt Youngstown, Mahoning County without yet another tax increase or raising fees.

7georgejeanie(792 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

Where do you folks in the valley get these buffoons? Who would elect anyone, who would make such a statement? Please take this elected official for a ride from Warren to Lowellville, then from Youngstown to Hubbard by way of route 7. I:ll believe this V M Steel story when I see the first small diameter pipe being trucked to the gas fields.

8pit_bull_marley(291 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

The Mahoning Valley saved by a bailout from a muslim and investments from companies running from local unions in their socialist countries and by a company from San Fran. looking for citizens who need work and will do so for less. You gotta love it!

9valleyred(1097 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

Tim Ryan has some serious problems. Where are we going to get all these jobs?

Better yet, what has he been doing these past 7 years since he took office? Shouldn't we be approaching a 1960s economy by now?!

10candystriper(575 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

...Ryan Congress threw $140 billion towards helping state deficits over a 2.5 year period...but remember states are facing $350 billion in deficits...so the federal government could double its handouts and states would still be underwater...the likelihood of another massive stimulus plan to help states is small...the fact of the matter is we are on the verge of a muni crisis...be suspect of any new projects financed by muni bonds...ask questions...default city.

11valleyred(1097 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

After reading what Congressmen Ryan wrote, I simply could not pass this opportunity up to speak out against this guy.

Here is my column on his ridiculous comments: http://mvred.com/index.php/archives/l...

12cambridge(2995 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

You people are hilarious.

paulb....It says here that 72% support a government sponsored health care plan. You should really stop making things up. You have less credibility every day. Your starting to remind me of USEless1, dudy56 and bor-Y-lie.

13cambridge(2995 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

paulb....There isn't a place in that report that says that the majority of people are against a public option. That isn't even mentioned. You represent something in your post that is not there. Instead of projecting or embellishing what the report or the CBS poll says just take them for the actual text.

That's the problem with all you doom and gloomers. You people are so negative and you look for that black cloud in every silver lining. You read something and it instantly becomes distorted in your head in to some dooms day scenario. Go back and read any of your previous post. There could be 20 positive post in a row about something and then you show up. It must be a tuff way to go through life.

14cambridge(2995 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

paulb...."You Cambridge in contrast seem to like living off other folks hard work and wealth."

Please explain to me how I am living off of anyone or anything other than what I've earned myself. Your statement is another example of you just making something up out of thin air and throwing it out there like it's a fact. Thanks for proving my point.

15candystriper(575 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

In Ryan town everyone has juicy insurance policies on their neighbors car ,house and health. The driving will be suspiciously bad, lots of fires and placebos. lol

Muni threat... Harrisburg, PA weighs Chapter 9.

16cambridge(2995 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

paulb...."You Cambridge in contrast seem to want to live off other folks hard work and wealth"

That statement is as much a lie as your original statement. I have plenty of wealth of my own, I don't need anyone else's.

I don't believe in regulating insurance companies, I believe in replacing them with a single payer not for profit federal funded plan because the tax Americans would pay would be far lower than the insurance premiums and everyone would be covered.

I don't believe in a mandated maximum wage and have never said anything to suggest it. I'm a capitalist but that doesn't mean I believe in people getting ripped off. So that's just another misconception rolling around in your head that you just blurt out like it's a fact.

"You support lowering taxes on folks like you while taxing higher earning folks more".

I can probably buy and sell you any day of the week. You have no idea who your talking too or what my financial situation is. If you want to tell what your net worth is I'll be happily do the same.

"You believe drug crimes should go without people in jail...".

I said that people that use illegal drugs shouldn't go to jail. Have you ever smoked weed? Anyone in your family or any of your friends ever smoke weed or toot some coke? Do they or you belong in prison?

"61% of U.S. voters say Congress should scrap that (healthcare) plan and start over again."

I say that statement and the poll where 72% of Americans are in favor of a public funded option can coexist in the same world. Apples and bowling balls. That's your problem. You make far to many assumptions. Stop embellishing what I or anyone else says and just take it at what it reads. Not the way you want it to read.

17cambridge(2995 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

paulb....Read the articles below and then justify what the insurance companies are doing. Tell me if there making a profit or ripping people off. The insurance industry makes billions in profit and they don't do a single exam, operation or anything else related to anyone's health care. They are in the business to make a profit.

I'm against the plans coming out of congress. A not for profit single payer government plan would have that profit eliminated. Eliminate those billions and the taxes would have to be less than the current premiums.

18cambridge(2995 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

paulb....Your response compared to mine on the articles about a 39% increase in insurance premiums shows how vast the difference is on how two people see reality. We obviously have a different set of values. That's about all I have to say on the subject.