Injured Hagan: City is still safe

Published: Tue, February 9, 2010 @ 12:10 a.m.

‘It was a random act of violence’ at the downtown cafe, the representative said.

photo

Dorian Thomas

photo

Rep. Robert F. Hagan, D-Youngstown. (AP Photo/Larry Phillips)

By David Skolnick

YOUNGSTOWN — State Rep. Robert F. Hagan said he doesn’t want his assault at a downtown restaurant/bar to leave people with the impression that the area isn’t safe.

“It was a random act of violence,” Hagan said. “It could have happened anywhere. People look for excuses not to come downtown. There’s very little problems with behavior in downtown Youngstown.”

Hagan was punched in the face and collapsed to the floor, losing consciousness, shortly after entering The Lemon Grove Caf , 122 W. Federal St., about 11 p.m. Saturday, according to a police report.

Hagan of Youngstown, 60, said he received 11 stitches to his chin, suffered a concussion and rib injuries, the latter occurring when he fell to the floor.

Police charged Dorian Thomas of Youngstown, 30, with assault. Thomas, who was part of the dance troupe performing at the restaurant at the time, was being held in the Mahoning County jail pending an arraignment today in Youngstown Municipal Court. The arraignment was postponed from Monday.

Hagan, D-60th, said he along with his wife and his youngest daughter, a college freshman, went to The Lemon Grove after having dinner at Caf Cimmento, a downtown restaurant at 120 E. Boardman St.

The three then went to The Lemon Grove to watch the dance performance.

“It wasn’t a rowdy event,” said Jacob Harver, the restaurant’s owner. “But Dorian and his mother, who emceed the event, were getting more upset that people were blocking their view.”

Thomas told Hagan: “Hey, move out of the way,” with Hagan responding that it was crowded, a police report states.

“He took an unbelievable exception to my response,” Hagan said.

Hagan said he was then punched in the face and knocked unconscious.

Thomas admitted he punched Hagan, a police report states.

“I don’t remember anything after getting punched until I was talking with” ambulance personnel, Hagan said. “But my wife said I asked if it was a Tea Party [member] or Republican [who hit me.] I don’t remember saying that, but at least I was able to find some humor.”

Despite the incident, Hagan said he will continue to frequent downtown establishments.

“I still have great faith in the downtown,” he said.

The worst part of the incident was Hagan’s injury, Harver said.

The secondary issue is this “odd, unfortunate incident” gives downtown a bad name, he said.

“It certainly shouldn’t affect people’s perception of downtown,” Harver said.

Hagan said his daughter was shaken by the incident, adding that she was pushed to the floor by someone with Thomas after he was punched and she landed on top of him. Harver confirmed that incident and added that Thomas’ mother was seen with a stun gun, but didn’t use it.

There is no mention of that on the police report.

Councilwoman Annie Gillam, D-1st, whose ward includes downtown and serves as chairwoman of council’s safety committee, said Hagan’s incident is “isolated” and “I don’t think it has anything to do with the safety of downtown.”

Gillam added: “I can go to the mall and find people with bad attitudes. It doesn’t have anything to do with downtown.”

It hasn’t been a good few weeks for the Hagans.

The state representative’s wife, Michelle Lepore-Hagan, was involved in a car accident on Jan. 26 on the corner of Ford Avenue and Emerson Place on Youngstown’s North Side. A motorist slid on slick pavement and pushed Lepore-Hagan’s car into a tree.

Like her husband, she received a concussion.

“It’s been a bad month,” Hagan said.

Hagan’s ribs were bothering him so much that he went Monday to the Cleveland Clinic to have them examined.

“I couldn’t sleep, lay down or walk” because of the pain, Hagan said.

skolnick@vindy.com

Comments

1lemongrovecafe(18 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

Dorian's mother did not emcee the event. It was Brandon Martin's mother who emceed it. Somehow in the phone interview my words must have been misconstrued. I apologize if I was unclear.

2UnionForever(1470 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

Wild time in old Youngstwon. Reminds one of the old Dodge City Wyatt Earp movies. Just proves how unsave downtown Youngstown is with too much booze involved. Stay away if you know what's good for you.

3SickofJimbo(140 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

Hagan should just shut up. You are not an expert on anything but a leachate professional politician. Do not express your advice and proclaim to be some self adorned expert about downtown. Just shut up, nobody cares about what you think.

4mikeymike(469 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

Hey Tiger Lily where are you ? Why don't you slam Sick of Jimbo for his comment,like you did to me.

5HereToServe(39 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

Is this seriously news worthy? There are people getting assaulted, robbed and beaten in Youngstown every day and we never hear a peep about it.
A politician gets punched in the face and it has been a news story for 3 days now.
Who Cares?
Do a news story about the neighbors that have helped others during this snow storm this winter.

6jimiohoh(86 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

Went to the Cleveland Clinic because of the pain. Now that's the insurance I want.

7NotFromAroundHere(2 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

1. Lombardo - For future reference "Irregardless" is NOT a word.

2. Its amazing that the majority of you are defending a man who assaulted another. I can guarantee you that if any of you were punched in the face or someone you love you would be whining about it for weeks.

3. Have you people ever been out of your little holes ? Bar fights are nothing new they happen everywhere all the time...and yet amazingly people still go out ...even into the city.

4. I wonder lombardo ... are you a small business owner ? What have you contributed to this area other than your opinion ? Bars or not, the people who own the bars and restaurants are small business owners and are working to improve the area. Those BARS are jobs, health insurance, they pay taxes and so on.

8onthetown(254 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

@ sickofjimbo:

I always see Rep. Hagan and his wife downtown whenever he's home from Columbus. He's been involved with numerous businesses that have opened in recent years. I disagree with most of his political views.. but I do appreciate the fact that he genuinely cares about the revival of arts/culture in the city.. and he makes himself available to the public and his constituents. I don't see any claims of being an "expert" on downtown Youngstown.. but if anyone is deserving of the label it would be Bob.

To those slamming the downtown area.. it's obvious you haven't spent much time down there.

9NotFromAroundHere(2 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

Well said sickofjimbo !

10Lifes2Short(3878 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

lombardo
""There has been robberies downtown as well. Downtown isn't much safer than South Ave. Hagan is a politician, he will say anything to make Youngstown sound good, irregardless of how big of a slum it really is.""

And once again, where is your paradise that has no problems??

lombardo is just foxtrot ..... gives it away with his stupid remarks and his stupid rateitall thing....

11Photoman(1018 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

regarding the Cleveland Clinic issue. Since it was the following Monday and he does have relatives in the Cleveland area----could it be possible that he was visiting relatives on Monday?
Geeez.

12JeffLebowski(953 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

Clearly he was concussed. A Tea Bagger would have come with an open-handed slap, not a closed fist...and dreads.

13PHISHIE(105 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

Actually, these days anywhere late at nite can be risky business. Even shopping late at Walmart can end up in a trip to the hospital. However, I believe it is somewhat more risky in the Youngstown city limits.. Wasn't the Covelli robbed recently. I think it was an armed robbery. Does anyone know how much the robber took?? That was in the morning. So morning, noon or nite you have to watch your back. Most likely that is anywhere, but just a lil more in the Youngstown City limits.......PHISHIE

14Stan(9923 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

"my wife said I asked if it was a Tea Party [member] or Republican [who hit me.] "

Nope, Dorian Thomas is a liberal . If he was a consevative he would have been smart enough to recognize you and be respectful to you and your family . Bob, it was one of your liberal friends .

15northsideart(111 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

As a conservative, I'll proudly say that the people who condone and celebrate violence against someone because they're a liberal do not represent my views or the views of the vast majority of my fellow conservatives. Please. Shut up and go away. Not only do you falsely represent us, you also hinder our efforts with your childish observations.

16Stan(9923 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

"Just south of Lowellville, near the PA line, the Mahoning Valley narrows to about a half mile wide. It would be a good place for a dam. Make Youngstown a reservoir. Problem solved."

Innovative idea . We could then have a gambling boat cruise the lake and the area would be productive .

17anothermike(213 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

Have to agree with "Diane", it isn't a random event. It seems to be the rule in downtown Y-town rather than the exception. Hagan is being diplomatic [probably as not to lose black voters]. Lucky for dorian it wasn't Jimbo he hit, then he would have received the super pounding he well deserves. Yes, make Yougstown a reservoir, and "irregardless" is NOT a word, lombardo............

18onthetown(254 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

@ Diane86:

It DOESN'T happen all the time.

I've been living in the Youngstown area for about four years and I've spent a lot of nights downtown. I've never seen a fight break out. Never.

As a commenter remarked on another Hagan-related story.. "If you haven’t been Downtown in a while you will notice an amazing energy... the place is a cultural hub for the arts, music, and discussion." You don't hear about the positive regeneration that is happening in the community.. just the RANDOM incident when a State Rep. gets sucker-punched.

19onthetown(254 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

@ anothermike and Stan:

Have you actually spent time downtown in the last six months?

20valleytransplant(37 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

Brings back memories of the Hagan homestead...kids a plenty. Now all we need is Don Hanni, Charlie the Crab, Orlie the Crab, Vince DeNiro...YTown forever!

21DrGoo(297 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

"At the Lemon Grove you are more likely to get a random hug than a punch." :-P

22onthetown(254 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

"At the Lemon Grove you are more likely to get a random hug than a punch." :-P

I've been a target more than a few times.

23Stan(9923 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

onthetown :
"
@ anothermike and Stan:

Have you actually spent time downtown in the last six months?"

I have been downtown plenty of times . I have seen the good, the bad and the ugly .

24PHISHIE(105 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

Well, hopefully the truth will emerge during the trial. Sometimes when a person drinks liquor, a person suddenly loves everyone. Then there are cases where a person drinks liquor and becomes very irritable and angry. The trial will provide some answer hopefully. Perhaps the two person were of the last example. Perhaps they were going to swing at each other and the one guy beat the other to the punch. Liquor has strange effects on people..........PHISHIE

25DrGoo(297 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

yea, cause selling a house is so easy now a days :-\

26onthetown(254 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

I actually moved to the North Side three months ago.

Statistically, yes, it's a high-crime area.. especially thus far in 2010. But it's pretty safe if you watch yourself and aren't involved with the wrong people.

I still have my mail sent to another address.

I'm hyper-aware of my surroundings whenever coming or going from my apartment.

But considering 90% of my life outside of work happens in Youngstown, it was a no-brainer.

27DrGoo(297 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

LOL@ no restaurants... There are a crap load of restaurants.

28epicfail(217 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

USA1 means real restaurants like Chick-fil-a and Taco Bell of course.

Who'd wanna eat at Rosetta Stone anyways. They don't even have country fried steak. :-P

29Lynds(16 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

Just to name a few around and in Downtown:
Avalon Gardens / Downtown Buffalo Wild Wings / Barleys / Cedars/ Golden Dawn/ Casseses MVR/ The Royal Oaks/ Cafe Cimmento / End of the Tunnel / The Covelli Centre/ the Elks/ Loves Lounge/ Rosetta Stone / The Downtown Draught House / Downtown 36 / The Box Car Lounge / The B&O Station...Rust Belt Brew / The Old Precinct/ Imbibe / Overtures/ Friedas / Charlie Staples BBQ/ University Pizza / Inner Circle / The Youngstown Club/ The Lemon Grove Cafe / Jorgines / 20 Federal Place....

30epicfail(217 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

Don't forget Tokyo House!

31Lifes2Short(3878 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

lombardo

""there is no "paradise" with no problems. However, some areas are much better than others. Those who claim "crime is everywhere," etc. are just trying to divert attention from the fact that some areas are MUCH worse than others."""

Read cities with a population of Youngstown or higher and there citizens comments and the crime there and it is the same, everywhere! Educate yourself.
Example - Stockton, CA. (pop 290,409) read the headlines today (2/09/10), the 911 section, the citizen comments, the archives.

32jimiohoh(86 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

didn't the akron paper write that he was just a funny man in columbus - maybe he just was starting a joke and the whole world wasn't laughing

33northsideart(111 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

@USA1

I'm definitely a conservative, maybe not your kind of conservative, but definitely conservative. I never condone violence unless it's an absolute necessity to save one's life.

I suppose that you might have a point if you were to suggest that some kind of karma played a role in what happened to Hagan, that he got punched in the face by a representative of the exact sort of pervasive urban blight that he and the rest of the Valley's politicians have ignored for decades, that he literally felt the physical and emotional burden that all of us suffer through as they do nothing, and I mean nothing, to make Youngstown a safe and happy place to live. Yes, I know that downtown is looking better, and I'm grateful for it, but to ignore the situation in the neighborhoods where law-abiding people do not feel safe is a crime. What happened to Angelina Frimognari is an extreme event, but it is not an isolated one, and it's something, in one form or another, that can happen to anyone. Now, at least Bob Hagan is well aware of the reality of living in Youngstown, that no one is above being a victim of the random violence that happens in Youngstown every day after day after day.

34Lifes2Short(3878 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

paulb
Once again, not just Youngstown....

Sewickley, PA - pop: 3,902
12 arrested in marijuana ring bust

Leetsdale, PA - pop: 1,232
"Recent Leetsdale Discussions"
Restaurant worker killed at Waterfront
Guns, Bars Dangerous Mix
Man expected to stand trial on rape charges

Salem, OH - pop: 12,197
"Police and Court Reports"

35Stan(9923 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

North Pole Grammar Police Dog

36anothermike(213 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

No one gives a rat's ass about Pittsburgh, Houston or china. The subject is Youngstown. Too many shootings, punching and any other assaults. Next some of you jerks will be saying Angelina should have been going to church somewhere else. Always making the perp the victim to some extent. LESS than 20 per-cent of the population and MORE than 90 per-cent of the problems................

37DirtForce_1(40 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

easy anothermike.......my comment got booted for stating the obvious!

38city_resident(513 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

USA1, "inviting" is certainly a relative term. Where you see convenient parking, I see a sea of asphalt This makes it very unappealing to walk from one venue to another. (Are any of the places you listed even within walking distance of one another?)

39Lifes2Short(3878 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

paulb

"Those three isolated incidents aren't going to drive up the crime rate in any of those towns so it's anywhere near Youngstown's anyways."

Your talking about towns with populations of 3,902, 1,232 , 12,197.

People need to expand there minds that there are other cities out in this country worse then Youngstown. Quit being so shallow and educate yourself outside of Youngstown to see what is going on in the world.

Trenton, NJ (82,804)

Camden, NJ (79,383)

Reading, PA (81,207)

Stockton, CA (290,409)

West Palm Beach, Fl (107,377)

and on and on and on.......

40city_resident(513 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

USA1 I wanted to comment on this statement you made earlier: "Even if Ytown were safe; there's nothing to do, no plazas, malls, retail stores, restaurants. Youngstown is underdeveloped. Poor quality of life. Housing is terrible."

We've already established that Youngstown has plenty of restaurants.

There is plenty to do. I've been taking it easy since before the Christmas season, but I had been very busy prior to that. Get involved in the arts, neighborhood groups, etc.

I'm not sure I care that there aren't many plazas, malls, or retail stores. As Youngstown continues to improve, some of those things will come anyway. I'd rather see more retail downtown than in some mall, though.

I agree Youngstown is underdeveloped. But IMO, that's because the mills closed and people left for the suburbs before the city could achieve its full potential.

I also agree that some of the housing is terrible. That's what happens after years of neglect. But, the nice thing about Youngstown's housing stock is that it is older and can stand up to that kind of neglect and still be restored. The houses in the neighborhoods surrounding Wick Park have been neglected and abused for the last 30+ years--as they were converted to student housing, apartments, and group homes, etc.--and are still some of the finest residential structures in the Mahoning Valley.

41city_resident(513 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

Are you really safer living in the exurbs?

I'm not going to debate this. I just thought it was interesting.

42valleytransplant(37 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

Youngstown will die on the vine. No industry, no real character and the old politics of the past. Sell and take your loss.

43Lifes2Short(3878 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

paulb

Not sure where your getting your stats, but here's the FBI spreadsheet for 2008. (2009 is still in the works)

Such simple minds, really need to open your horizon and quit blasting Youngstown, just like any other city in the United States, you have your good with your bad. It's everywhere.

44Lifes2Short(3878 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

paulb

Grew up in Campbell, was in the Navy (traveled all the time) in the 80's stationed in San Diego,CA (beautiful city) transfered to Tampa, Fl and finished up in Norfolk, VA. Worked in Atlanta, GA and St. Louis, MO. Spent a year in Arecibo, PR and then back to Tampa. Moved back to Youngstown in 2000. And let me tell you, It's the same everywhere! Complain about Youngstown all you want,but read other cities news and papers and there residents comments about there city. I've been around the world, and alot of people never even heard of Youngstown. So bad mouth Youngstown all you want, but you won't find paradise no where! Instead of complaining have to look for the good until the time comes. No use in complaining all the time.

1st on your list, Sleepy Hollow
Dec. 2009 cost of living index in Sleepy Hollow: 175.0 (very high, U.S. average is 100)

"The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) met with us in an open
public session to report their findings. Test results for many of the properties revealed levels of
mercury that are far higher than current standards. "

45DirtForce_1(40 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

ATTENTION ALL: Lombardo has solved it!! Elect all Republicans and crime goes AWAY!!! Idiot.

46DirtForce_1(40 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

Lombardo, what you fail to understand is it is not a Republican or Democrat that will solve these problems of society, it is YOU. Until you make your voice heard and stop relying on a BS filled politician to solve your problems, things stay status quo. I get so sick of fools like you that need to turn everything into a political debate. Get a life, quit crying about things and DO something about it. And for your info, I am a registered Republican

47Nunya22(315 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

Some of yall have lost yall minds with this political party nonsense, saying how the city of youngstown is the most dangerous city of this country is not even true. Some of yall are making statements like if someone came to visit youngstown they will have to be scared for their lives. It's really not that serious yes it is bad here but not to the point you have to be scared to leave your home and have a good time.

And when will some of you learn that none of these political parties can help every person and please them someone is always going to complain.

48DirtForce_1(40 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

Lawmaking can be and is influenced by constituents like you lombardo who make their views know publically instead of b*itching about it on their computer or blaming on one political party...the last thing I need is a civics lesson from a j.o. like you!

49DirtForce_1(40 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

Lombardo needs to make up his mind. Read the 2nd comment to this story then read the post below from a previous comment he made on July 31, 2009. Such a quick change of mind in a short time.....or just an Evinrude in a cesspool!

" No matter what any of you say, there is no disputing the fact that downtown is cleaner, safer, and more desirable than the south or east sides."

July 31, 2009 at 6:48 p.m.

50computer_rick(137 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

When they say "downtown is safe" do they mean the few square block area right around the usual lawyers watering holes? I KNOW they cannot be talking about the South side. Or the North side. Or the East Side. Where police will let crack dealers hang on the streets, but it is an offense to be D.W.W. (driving while white) in the area after dark. In fact, anyone who says (or has ever said or posted) "What are you doing in (name the area) anyways?" Is as guily of prejudice as I am for making such a stupid statement...

51DirtForce_1(40 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

Lombardo...I'll be at BW's Federal Plaza around 8 tonight. I'll be wearing a orange and black Harley Davidson jacket. Can't miss me. Bring your shovel.

52AXLE69(181 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

usa1 pro-conservaterican,your less than intelligent comments are not surprising but what REALLY will be poetic justice will occur when your murdering buddy boy Roeder is sent away for 50 years.I`m sure if someone sucker punched your palm reading girlfriend Palin,you would be on here whining about giving that person the death penalty but because it was Bob Hagan he deserved it,right?Same old hypocrisy.Different day.You better be careful about your implied threat to our President.I would hate to see the Secret Service knocking at your door.On second thought,maybe I wouldn`t. I`m glad you enjoyed the Rosetta Stone,but did you know the owner is a Democrat? Thanks for contributing to the cause...... lol

53DirtForce_1(40 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

no show---figures

54AXLE69(181 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

usa1 pro-conservaterican....I knew you would defend your girl Palin but can`t you come up with something better than that as an excuse for her palm reading? Wow,talk about sheeple.Jimmy Kimmel had a great line about this."Maybe she would be smarter if she had bigger hands" lmao.She was a candidate for VP of the United States and wants to be President! You don`t write ANYTHING on your palm when you desire those positions.As Steve Schmidt of the McCain campaign said,Palin didn`t know anything about the 20th CENTURY.She didn`t even know why there were 2 Koreas.And you defend her intelligence? Get real usa1 pro-conservaterican.I didn`t see our President OBAMA using a tele-prompter when he destroyed the Republicans at their meeting a few weeks ago.Did you? I doubt if the Repubs will do that again.Kind of like a 5th grader debating a Ph.D huh? lol. I know it`s odd for an ultra-conservative such as you to appreciate a President that`s actually intelligent but you`ll have 8 yrs to get used to it.This is your quote from another post....... "That was poetic justice. A liberal knocking out another liberal.
I'm very hopeful to what they'll do to eachother in DC. Pelosi, Ried, Hillary, Barney Fwank and their coffee server, Obowma"..... Hmm,it sounds to me like you`re wishing harm on our President? What kind of off the wall whacko wants that to occur? You claim to be this patriot but you don`t even respect the office of the presidency of our nation.Sad,so very sad.I didn`t vote for Reagan but when Hinckley tried to kill him, as an AMERICAN I was outraged. Your teabagging cabal wishes outright harm to our Commander-In-Chief and you`re right there with them.As I`ve suggested before,You should have used your good union insurance to get some counseling when you worked at GM.I will keep bringing up your murdering American Idol Scotty Roeder because it proves to the readers here that you condone murder if it fits your agenda.If not,you would have condemned it months ago but you can`t because you loved it when he shot the doctor in the forehead in his church didn`t you? You probably jumped off your couch,chips flying everywhere and yelled WOOHOO! Again,abortion is legal,pure and simple.That`s the law.So if you kill a burglar in your house,is that murder? No,legally it`s justifiable homicide. Why? Because it`s the LAW.Get it? I doubt you do.Too far gone to lala land.All your conservative idols that have been in the Oval Office didn`t give a damn if the Supreme Court overturned Roe v Wade.They just used it to get abortion foes like yourself to vote for them and like a sucker you did just that.In 2012 you`ll do it again as well.Hey, P.T Barnum was right.

55DirtForce_1(40 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

Hey lombardo...just as I thought...your nothing but a loud mouth p*ssy. Run your mouth on your computer. Again your wise a** is wrong as I do not drink at all, but I have had enough of your worthless a**....have a good life...hope it's not long but I can guarantee if you had the balls to step away from your computer screen and run your mouth in public, it wouldn't...hope we meet in person one day my friend. You threaten to put me in the ground....should have done your homework that you "do so well" before making a statement like that....anytime I can buy you a diet Coke, let me know.