SNOW STORM: Stay off of the roads || VIDEO, GALLERY

Published: Sat, February 6, 2010 @ 8:55 a.m.
  Snow Storm Hits Valley

A winter storm dumped more than a foot of snow on the Valley leaving residents digging out.

Police officials throughout the Valley are urging residents to stay off of roads this morning. If you do not need to travel, don't.

Up to a foot of snow fell in some places overnight making main roads snow-packed and hazardous. Many side roads in some neighborhoods are virtually impassable.

The National Weather Service says the winter storm warning will remain in effect until noon today and an additional 3-to-6 inches of snow is expected. By the storm's end, the weather service said, 8-to-12 inches of snow should blanket the area with locally higher amounts expected.

Current radar shows snow tapering off from Youngstown south within the hour.

Next up in this winter blast are gusty northeast winds of 20-to-25 mph with drifting snow and visibility falling to below one mile.

For a list of cancellations, visit the Web site of The Vindicator's broadcast partner. WFMJ-TV.

WFMJ Cancellations

For updates, keep watching Vindy.com, and e-mail us your photos to news@vindy.com.

Comments

1Stan(9923 comments)posted 4 years, 8 months ago

The city is looking good this morning ! Take a moment to make a donation fighting global warming !

2abcd987(9 comments)posted 4 years, 8 months ago

How bout this snow. We really got a lot.

3howardinyoungstown(591 comments)posted 4 years, 8 months ago

Stan and USA1 you must be blind if you think global warming means an end to seasons.

What it really means is a warmer world average temperature which will give us more SEVERE weather both in the WINTER and the SUMMER.

To those that claim global warming is not man made here are some facts that might be challenging for you to understand:

From 1998
From 2005
From 2006

And most importantly from January 7, 2010 and in language most school children can understand.

And as for sterilizing humans..... I am sure glad you two do all of your ranting online because if you were saying all of this out loud that sure would be a LOT of hot air!

4Stan(9923 comments)posted 4 years, 8 months ago

You keep right on thinking that Howie ! To eliminate severe cold and heavy snows contribute to fight global warming .

TNX for the liberal dose of BS . Sure is a good thing that it is online or it would stink up the place !

5city_dweller(194 comments)posted 4 years, 8 months ago

When I saw the snow this morning, several thoughts ran through my head: wow that's a lot of snow, it's so beautiful, yikes that's a lot of shoveling, can't wait to make a snowman. But at no point did I think, I can't wait to get on Vindy.com to bait political opponents and incite debate with comments on global warming that are as predictable as they are unfounded.

I don't know whether that kind of single-minded conviction means you should be commended or institutionalized.

6Stan(9923 comments)posted 4 years, 8 months ago

Just like Santa Claus when I was a child I believe in global warming !

TOP SECRET PICTURE SMUGGLED OUT OF THE NORTH POLE

7pci510(105 comments)posted 4 years, 8 months ago

Will someone please fire Al Gore. For the last 3 years ice / snow / cold has swept all across America. Thoughts are it is not America who has global warming problems but other countries which have no regulations on global warming so please stop blaming America!!

8watchingthepolitics(97 comments)posted 4 years, 8 months ago

It seems to very QUIET in the "HOOD", think it might be all the snow that we got.

9rloh330(43 comments)posted 4 years, 8 months ago

There goal is to keep everyone down so they can feel SO important and wine about ANY taxes.
Start the draft and I bet you they quit being such super patriots when their sons and daughters have to do their dirty work.

10Bigben(1996 comments)posted 4 years, 8 months ago

I consider myself to be an environmentalist ,hunter and outdoorsman in genreral.I care about the environment but global warming is a bunch of UN crap created to further abolish our national sovereignty and rights. It is fanatasy.If they were truly concerned about global warming there would be massive tree plantings going on in areas east of the Mississippi where we should have lots of trees and none of this is going on.

Our govenor decided to close down the last state forest nursery ,the one that supplied much of the south eastern forest land with trees planted in the 1930s when they had real "green jobs".I am neither Dem nor Rep by the way because at the highest levels as Lou Dobbs said they are "two wings of the same bird."

11Nonsocialist(710 comments)posted 4 years, 8 months ago

A hot summer day no more proves man-made global warming than a cold winter day disproves it.

The facts:

The global warming "smoking gun." The global warming "experts" at the Climate Research Unit at the University of East Anglia in England, have been caught brazenly discussing the destruction and hiding of data that did not support global warming claims. The academics here also worked closely with the U.N.'s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change.

Polar bear populations are increasing, and that prior decreases were from hunting.

The Antartic Ice Cap is growing to such a degree as to make shipping difficult.

The Martian Ice Caps are shrinking, like the Artic Ice Cap. Is the shrinking of the Martian Ice Cap related to man-made global warming? The Artic Ice Cap size has always fluctuated.

The temperatures on the Earth been warmer than they are now, multiple times. The Earth's most recent warming peaked in 1998, and has cooled since, while CO2 levels have increased.

It was so much warmer 400 years ago that the Vikings could circumnavigate Greenland by ship.

The Global Warming Lie is a tool used by the ruling socialists on the feeble-minded to:

Get rich

Acheive worldwide Income Redistribution

Further transfer wealth and power from the subjects to the rulers.

12woolyd(579 comments)posted 4 years, 8 months ago

USA you shouldnt make fun of Rio afterall I have had to correct your terrible spelling in many of your blogs. USA=Dumocrat

13StudGerbil(10 comments)posted 4 years, 8 months ago

I love that "8-12 inches" they forecast.

I'm in Boardman and we have 18 inches in our driveway. and our road was impassable until almost noon.

14RNRAT2003(10 comments)posted 4 years, 8 months ago

In parts of southern Canfield, southern Boardman, Beaver Twp, etc, there were between 21-23 inches!!!!!!!!!

15joly1584(24 comments)posted 4 years, 8 months ago

I live in Youngstown(Cornersburg). My husband has cleared our driveway, but we will be lucky if our road is cleared to go to work Monday morning. Getting the main roads cleared is good, but is of little value if you can't get to them. No church service or Super Bowl party for us tomorrow.

We had 16" of snow.

16SemperTyrannis(49 comments)posted 4 years, 8 months ago

It never fails to amuse me how every time we have a snow storm people equate it to positive evidence against climate change-which is the proper terminology. Here's a reminder-

During the last 100 years the Earth has warmed by 0.76 °C on average, and the rate of warming has further increased. The 11 warmest years on record have all occurred in the last 12 years. The second half of the 20th century was the warmest period in the northern hemisphere for at least 1 300 years. Europe has warmed by about 1 °C over the past 100 years, faster than the global average.

Rates of observed sea level rise almost doubled from 18 centimetres per century in 1961–2003 to 31 cm per century in 1993–2003

The concentration of carbon dioxide (CO2) and other greenhouse gases in the atmosphere has continued to increase due to man-made emissions, and the rate of increase has further accelerated. Current concentrations of CO2 and methane are the highest for at least 650 000 years.

Extreme weather events have increased and regional climate patterns are changing. Heat waves and other weather extremes, as well as changes in atmospheric circulation patterns, storm tracks and precipitation, can now be traced back to climate change caused by human activities.

All of that information is provided by the United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on climate change. The panel is made up of the top climate scientists in the entire world.

17ytownpunk(26 comments)posted 4 years, 8 months ago

Struthers got hammered. There's definitely sections of town with more than 2 feet.

18ttup1rd(27 comments)posted 4 years, 8 months ago

Good luck getting your county roads done, marilyn kenner wants to lay another 11 road workers off some with 20 years seniority but still refuses to lay any supervisors or office personel. Someone needs to take a serious look at how she runs that office.

19hafniumcarbide(17 comments)posted 4 years, 8 months ago

I don't get it. Can someone explain to me how the amount of snow disproves climate change/ global warming? The temperature isn't that cold to me and I haven't heard of any record low temps. Please help me understand, preferably in layman's terms. Thanks.

20jrolley325(800 comments)posted 4 years, 8 months ago

what a bunch of morons on here.....a big snowstorm hits in february.......something that has happened at least once a year in this part of the country since the dawn of time and people still find a way to turn it into a political argument. get a life.

21Stan(9923 comments)posted 4 years, 8 months ago

rloh330 :

"Republicans don't want anyone to have anything ,they have some money so they turn into narrow minded morons."

Well rloh330 you are right as usual . We should liquidate all businesses and give the money to to the masses in the ghettos so they won't have to steal to support their drug habits . There is no need for anyone to work or run a business that has people working .

22metz87(884 comments)posted 4 years, 8 months ago

Imagine Al Gore running around in the artic with a flamthrower melting all of the ice and scaring the crap out of the polar bears. Who knows maybe that is really what is happeneng because if this is global wamring I shoveled 2 feet of it today!

23valleyred(1098 comments)posted 4 years, 8 months ago

We measured around 18" here in Austintown.

24hellsbells(116 comments)posted 4 years, 8 months ago

I was out digging tunnels for my dog at 4:00 am. He stands about 16 inches high at the shoulders, but disappears if he jumps into the snow. The shoveling started when I had to go out to rescue him.
He came in twice Friday night so covered with stubborn snowballs that I put him in the shower stall and sprayed him to melt them, then dried him with my hairdryer.
I have at least 21 inches in Boardman.

25joebag09(252 comments)posted 4 years, 8 months ago

STAY OFF THE ROADS, because if you're dependeing on the weather forecast, you'll be up the creek!! I had from 16 to 24+ inches in my drive!

26hafniumcarbide(17 comments)posted 4 years, 8 months ago

So no explanation for my question? I guess I will just remain ignorant to how lots of snow means global warming is a lie.

27Stan(9923 comments)posted 4 years, 8 months ago

hafniumcarbide :

It's gonna get cold tonight . Step out the back door dressed for the shower and see if global warming is here .

28hafniumcarbide(17 comments)posted 4 years, 8 months ago

What does the temp tonight have to do with the snow that fell last night?

29Nonsocialist(710 comments)posted 4 years, 8 months ago

Hafniumcarbide, SemperTyrannis, and anyone else left who still believes in "man-made global warming",

The UN has been caught falsifying data re: global warming. The UN has a secondary gain re: the existence of global warming. The facts from non-UN sources show that the Earth has cooled since the El Nino effects of 1998, and that trend is expected to continue. See the multitude of links below, including the one from National Geographic.

I'll say it again, a cold and snowy winter day does not disprove global warming anymore that a hot summer day proves it.

30Stan(9923 comments)posted 4 years, 8 months ago

hafniumcarbide "

"What does the temp tonight have to do with the snow that fell last night?"

Super cold air hits warm moist air and guess what . Lots of snow . Very cold tonight means the cold has overwhelmed the warm air .

Dont forget. Check out tonights air, dressed for the shower, so that you can get the full experience of global warming .

31hafniumcarbide(17 comments)posted 4 years, 8 months ago

Stan- Super cold air? The temp today was in the 20's. That isn't super cold to me. Tonight is supposed to be in the single digits. Cold I suppose but not super cold compared to the record lows that are in the negatives.

Nonsocialist- I was just wondering how a big snowstorm proves global warming is a lie. Whether global warming is true and we are responsible is beyond me and honestly too complicated for me to try and debate. I was just trying to understand an argument that didn't make much sense to me.

32Nonsocialist(710 comments)posted 4 years, 8 months ago

hafniumcarbide,

I don't think you're reading my posts. Both times, I wrote:

"A cold and snowy winter day does not disprove global warming anymore that a hot summer day proves it."

Stay safe and stay warm.

33hafniumcarbide(17 comments)posted 4 years, 8 months ago

Nonsocialist,

I read your posts. My question was to those that used a big snowstorm as a reason why global warming isn't real. Just trying to understand their logic not yours since we agree that winter snow doesn't have much relevance.

Stay safe and warm as well.

34Stan(9923 comments)posted 4 years, 8 months ago

hafniumcarbide :

"Stan- Super cold air? The temp today was in the 20's. That isn't super cold to me. "

Right on ! It's just like mixing hot and cold for shower water . Tonight the hot spigot has been shut off .

35DirtForce_1(40 comments)posted 4 years, 8 months ago

You people are idiots

36mom8890(5 comments)posted 4 years, 8 months ago

Idiots is an understatement. But as for the roads in the Cornersburg area, I do agree we'll be lucky to be able to get out by Monday. I grew up in Austintown and never experienced having to wait days for my road to get plowed...the City of Youngstown needs to get it together. Absolutely ridiculous.

37timOthy(802 comments)posted 4 years, 8 months ago

Remember the 60's ? This is normal. Safety first but don't let these civic workers scare you. The politicians should take a cue from this. The picture in the Vindy tells it all. Notice those men shoveling. That's the kind of WORK AMERICA needs. Maybe we need a teacher to tell us how to do it. That their hands won't even touch Buts and Elbows will bring us out of this spin !!!