UPDATE: Mark Aaron Brown offered no final statement

Published: Thu, February 4, 2010 @ 11:14 a.m.

LUCASVILLE — Mark Aaron Brown offered no final statement and stared at the ceiling as he was executed Thursday for murdering a Youngstown shop owner in 1994.

Brown offered only a quiet "No" when asked if he had any last words, and he did not make eye contact with either the family members of his victim or his attorney or clergy who witnessed the execution.

He became the 35th inmate put to death since the state resumed executions in 1999. He was the third executed under the state's new single-drug execution protocol.

Brown, 37, was convicted in the 1994 shooting deaths of Isam Salman and Hayder Al-Turk at the Midway Market in Youngstown.

He was transported from the Ohio State Penitentiary in Youngstown to the Southern Ohio Correctional Facility in Lucasville Wednesday morning, then spent most of afternoon and night talking on the phone with friends, his sister, his attorney and two of the mothers of his children, said Julie Walburn, spokeswoman for the Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction.

One call stretched from 2:14 a.m. until 4:49 a.m.

He had contact visits with his brother, his spiritual adviser and his attorney for several hours Wednesday evening, turning emotional at about 7 p.m. when he received word that Gov. Ted Strickland had denied his request for clemency.

Throughout the evening, he ate a special meal that included a bacon double cheeseburger, onion rings, orange soda and

ice cream. He did not eat breakfast Thursday morning, nor did he touch the T-bone steak, cooked well done, that he requested.

He slept from just before 5 a.m. until 6:20 a.m., when he showered and had cell-front visits with his spiritual adviser and two attorneys. He completed those visits after 8:30 a.m. and turned over his personal belongings to his legal counsel.

The U.S. Supreme Court turned down Brown's appeals just after 9 a.m., delaying the execution by about 20 minutes.

It took less than 10 minutes for prison staff to insert shunts into veins in both of Brown's arms and for the inmate to make the final 17-step walk from his holding cell to the death chamber. It took less than 10 minutes to complete the execution. Brown stared at the ceiling before his eyes closed for the last time. His chest heaved and he appeared to yawn before any discernible movement ceased.

Prior executions were carried out sing a three-drug combination — one drug making the inmate unconscious, followed by a muscle relaxer and a final solution that stopped the heart.

The new process involves only one drug, the sedative used to render inmates unconscious, but in a larger, lethal dose. In cases where suitable veins are not accessible, a backup plan calls for the intramuscular injection of two drugs.

Chester Phillips, spiritual adviser for Brown, and attorney Rachel Troutman witnessed the execution on Brown's behalf.

Seven members of Salman's family were at the prison for the execution, and three witnessed his death: sister Terri

Rasul; brother Walid Salman; and one son, Majdy Salman. His sister held a photograph of the murder victims.

Brown requested that his body be cremated, with his ashes turned over to his sister.

Comments

1woolyd(579 comments)posted 4 years, 8 months ago

STAY UP CAINE!!!

2ohio(4 comments)posted 4 years, 8 months ago

omg im so happy thank god

3Stan(9923 comments)posted 4 years, 8 months ago

Mark's time upon this earth has come to an end . His victims had their lives cut short without any hesitation .

Is it over ? Not by a longshot . Society will be blamed for Mark's demise but Mark didn't want the credit for his victim's demise .

4Nunya22(315 comments)posted 4 years, 8 months ago

I would never want to watch something like that. I dont know what to really say except for he got his punishment for murdering the two of those men/the one that he admits to killing. And I hope both families be able to get through to their losses.

5woolyd(579 comments)posted 4 years, 8 months ago

That was the easy part its the 72 hours of death watch and the drive down to Lucasvilles thats the b@@CH.

6theword(342 comments)posted 4 years, 8 months ago

See ya, whos next?

7woolyd(579 comments)posted 4 years, 8 months ago

Lawrence Reynold Jr. March 2010. He was originally scheduled last year but had a reprieve after the Romell Broom debacle.

8ohio(4 comments)posted 4 years, 8 months ago

mark brown deserved to die hopefully i never have to hear about him ever again

9woolyd(579 comments)posted 4 years, 8 months ago

Ohio Scheduled Executions:
Lawrence Reynolds Summitt County March 9, 2010
Darryl Durr Cuyahoga County April 20, 2010
Michael Beuke Hamilton County May 13, 2010
Richard Nields Hamilton County June 10, 2010
William Garner Hamilton County July 13, 2010
Roderick Davie Trumbull County August 10, 2010
Kevin Keith Crawford County September 15, 2010

10walter_sobchak(1922 comments)posted 4 years, 8 months ago

Sorry I can't share in your glee for the execution of this criminal. And he was assuredly that, a criminal. But, vengeance is the Lord's. Not mine. This entire case is a tragedy with three people noew dead. I pray that all people respect life and treat each other properly. But, for some reason, this criminal went down the path of evil.

I believe we all pay for our sins and when we stand before God, he has a chalkboard with our sins listed on it. We have to answer for these sins. So, I ask for mercy for myself but, I also ask for mercy for you. When the crowd wanted to stone the harlot, Jesus instructed that those who were without sin should cast the first stone because he knew that they were all sinners. They had sinned with the woman.

I don't shed tears for this criminal because he knew he was doing evil things and he should be punished. And it is truly one hell of a punishment! And he will never kill again. But, I am not happy about the whole situation; I will not share in your glee.

Remember, forgiveness comes with strings attached. "Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us"? You will be forgiven if you forgive other who ask for forgiveness. God always forgives, man sometimes forgives, nature never forgives. May God have mercy on the whole world!

111970mach1(1005 comments)posted 4 years, 8 months ago

Danny Lee Hill has been on death row for
2.5 DECADES!!!!

It is time for him to go, too.

12AKAFR1(322 comments)posted 4 years, 8 months ago

Walter..once again I agree with you.
Barbaric on both sides.

13woolyd(579 comments)posted 4 years, 8 months ago

Ok Walter and AKAFR1 I would like to see your opinions if it was your relative that was murdered.

14NunyaBiz(3 comments)posted 4 years, 8 months ago

THANK GOD HE IS FINALLY DEAD HE WILL MEET HIS MAKER NOW AND GET HIS REAL PUNISHMENT. I AM JUST SO UPSET AT HOW IT HAPPENED. I WISH I COULD DIE THE WAY MARK BROWN DIED...A ROOF OVER HIS HEAD...FOOD TO EAT...EDUCATION...CONTACT WITH FAMILY.....FOR 16 DAMN YEARS HE WAS BEING REWARDED FOR KILLING SOMEONE....THEN BEFORE HE DIES HE GOT TO ORDER HIS DAMN STEAK ARE YOU SERIOUS HE GOT A GOOD MEAL AND WARM SHOWER BEFORE HE DIED AND GOT TO SAY HIS GOODBYES TO EVERYONE. AND HOW HEARTLESS CAN HE BE... HE COULDNT EVEN TURN TO THE FAMILY N SAY IM SORRY. BUT THIS IS ONLY THE BEGINNING OF HIS PUNISHMENT. HE IS WITH HIS MAKER NOW AND HE WILL GET HIS...THAT IS ALL I CAN SAY I HOPE THAT WHOLE LIST ABOVE ME GOVE ON SCHEDULED TIME CUZ THIS IS RIDICULOUS TO WAIT AROUND 16 YRS HE HAD A BETTER LIFE THEN MOST OF US N WHAT HE HAD HIS SPIRITUAL ADVISOR" THERE GOD ONLY FORGIVES U WHEN U REALLY MEAN IT, HE CAN C INSIDE U IF UR TRUELY SINCERE N FOR HIM TO NOT EVEN APPOLOGIZE N SHOW NO EMOTION HES PAYING RIGHT NOW FOR THE FAMILY THATS HOW I WOULD KEEP THINKING ABOUT IT I NO IT DIDNT BRING THE VICTIMS BACK BUT HE IS PAYING!!!

15Lifes2Short(3877 comments)posted 4 years, 8 months ago

Walter and AKAFR

Barbaric???? He lived a lot longer then his victims, I'm sure he had great times in prison, laughing it up, playing hoops and cards, got visits from his family and such, letters and mail, and then to die peacefully. That's barbaric? How did the victims die? Scared to death of a animal with a gun and then shot in the head. Now that is barbaric. You don't believe in the death penalty, well it is what it is, and until they don't do it no more, these beasts are going to have to be put down, there is no other way, unlike the INNOCENT victims that they so choose to MURDER and could care less how they kill them. That is barbaric!

And if you want to pray for the low life animal go right ahead, no one is stopping you, and well your at it, make sure you pray for the INNOCENT VICTIMS also.

16Eastsida(3 comments)posted 4 years, 8 months ago

What is wrong with some of you being overjoyed about this? I know one of Mark's daughters and it's been a blessing to be around her for the past 13 years... she is a very sweet and smart girl. It upsets me to see people happy about her loosing her father. Did his death bring back his victims? And to the person saying he should've said he was sorry would that have brought them back either? Everytime someone apologizes during their final statement the victims families don't believe it anyway so why bother. If not for his family and friends I'd say he's better off right now than to be in a world with some of you ignorant people.

17watchingthepolitics(97 comments)posted 4 years, 8 months ago

They are not happy about her losing her father, their happy about one less cold blooded killer on the streets. He should have thought about his daughter, his family and the FAMILIES OF HIS VICTIMS before pulling the trigger.I could care less that he didn't have a final statement, unless it was to admit his guilt.

18Nunya22(315 comments)posted 4 years, 8 months ago

Some of yall are going alittle over board thanking god and getting overly excited over this.

19cathgal(8 comments)posted 4 years, 8 months ago

watchingthepolitics...Her father wasn't on the streets, he was in prison.
to some of the rest of you: To take delight or glee in any killing leaves little doubt that we are indeed living in a culture of death. There is no justice served by killing this man, only vengence. It can't bring him back or bring closure to the family of the victims. It only perpetuates our culture of death. We have low regard for the value and dignity of the human person in this society. He killed people, so we kill him, Tragedy all around. Don't try to paint me as excusing his actions, I am not. There is no justice to be had by killing him.

20bob041(20 comments)posted 4 years, 8 months ago

ok who is next line them i have no use for scum like him and what about danny hill??he is going to die of old age put him at the front of the line

21watchingthepolitics(97 comments)posted 4 years, 8 months ago

Prison was not Mark Aaron Brown's final destination, everyone including him knew that. I guess it was kind of like a plane trip, only thing is it wasn't non-stop, I guess he had a layover, before he finally arrived at his final destination, and I could only guess where that is, and only God can make that decision.

22walter_sobchak(1922 comments)posted 4 years, 8 months ago

woolyd & Lifes2Short,

You miss my point! All human life is precious. I feel for the victims' families. I pray for mercy and hope I never take for granted God's mercy for us or his love for us. AGAPE! (Look it up!) But, I just don't understand the joy behind the execution of this guy. Vengence does no good. Revenge is not a good basis for action. I don't feel sorry for scum that brutalize people and then are punished by being locked up for life. I also would have no problem killing someone who is threatening me, my life or my family. I have a 12 ga to protect me and the only loads I keep to use in it are #4 magnum. Since we can keep these animals off the streets with our prisons, then I'm all for locking them up and making them do hard labor.

BTW, I know what it is like to see something like this happen to a family member. My mother was brutally beaten by a thug who broke into her home. I watched a doctor put his fingers inside her scalp to feel for cracks on her skull. Sure, I wanted to kill the person that did that to her. But, what satisfaction would that give me. Blood lust. Evil begets evil. It has to stop somewhere, so it will stop with me. But, go ahead and celebrate. That's your right.

23woolyd(579 comments)posted 4 years, 8 months ago

Eastsida its great that his daughter is a good girl. I can bet that its not because he was there for her but maybe despite him she is good. If he was thinking about his kids he wouldnt have done what he did.
Incidently folks being on Ohios Death Row isnt that bad they get foo, clothes, recreation etc. If you are in the extended privilege unit you are allowed to order out at local restaurants weekly and they deliver for you.

24woolyd(579 comments)posted 4 years, 8 months ago

WALTER Im sorry to hear that but atleast she survived. These men were killed. I want you to go to Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and read some of the Clemency Reports pertaining to these individuals crimes then tell me what we should do with them. These men had np regard for their victims so why are you guys so concerned for these criminals?

25Stan(9923 comments)posted 4 years, 8 months ago

I sure do hope that Jamar Houser is keeping up on the news . This may be the time for him to cut a deal and get life .

26NunyaBiz(3 comments)posted 4 years, 8 months ago

eastsida he wasnt thinking about his girl its not that were happy hes dead he asked for this what did he think he was gonna be rewarded for killing a human being i wish i could die like hime he had shelter the best food his education contact with his family dont u guys fill bad for the victims that couldnt even say bye to their father brother son cousin husband he left behind 7 kids and a wife and 2 brothers and 6 sister and his parents at least mark browns daughter turned out good and he got to see how she turned out what mmore could he asked for if he wasnt locked up he probably would of been dead in the streets and yea ur right the family wouldnt have beleived his appology because he cant even admit he killed the man but he should of at least did that and for all of u asking y is everyone so happy hes dead i want to see how u react if ur familys killer was out there then come back and post something

27Lifes2Short(3877 comments)posted 4 years, 8 months ago

Walter

What joy? I'm not thrilled or joyful about it. All I'm saying is, Ohio has the death penalty, and until they change it, Ohio will put cold blooded animals to death for murder. And that is what they are, killing INNOCENT victims, is being a coward with a gun or whatever they use. You don't KILL INNOCENT people.
People against the death penalty, and I'm 50/50 on it, so what else would you do with these beasts? Life in prison? So they can live there life (prison is not what they show on TV). Hard labor. Yea right. So they kill someone and the worse there going to get is life in prison, some of them would have a better life then being out on the streets. Why do they get to live till nature takes them when they did'nt give a INNOCENT person that chance? What about the ones that kill children? Read the stories on death row inmates and what they did. A animal wouldn't do what they did.

Jose Noey Martinez #999219
Texas Death Row

"In 1995, Mr. Martinez was convicted of stabbing to death a 68-year-old woman and her 4-year-old granddaughter. He sexually assaulted the older woman, defiled the corpse of the child, and reportedly threatened the victims' family as he was led from the courtroom, saying, "It's not over yet."

28Lifes2Short(3877 comments)posted 4 years, 8 months ago

Therefore, Christian leaders shouldn't dignify the rejection of capital punishment as a "higher Christian way" that enthrones the ethics of Jesus. There is no question that capital punishment was not only advocated in the Old Testament, but also sanctioned in the New. The apostle Paul said, "It is not without purpose that the ruler carries the sword. He is God's servant, to inflict his avenging wrath upon the wrongdoer" (Rom. 13:4). The sword, mind you, is an instrument of death. Moreover, if no crime deserves the death penalty, then why would God allow Christ to be put to death on the cross for mankind's sins?

29UnionForever(1470 comments)posted 4 years, 8 months ago

Thank God the liberal DemoLiars like Tim Ryan and Capri Cafaro have not gotten their way on capital punishment. These murdering animals need to be brought to justice much faster without wasting all the time and money on appeals that go no where except to the final death chamber anyway. We have to hope that things change and Mook Houser doesn't take 16 years to execute for his murder!!!!

30oh2az(5 comments)posted 4 years, 8 months ago

Didn't the bible say something about an eye for an eye? Sympathy to all families.

31rocky14(709 comments)posted 4 years, 8 months ago

I love all you so called " Pro Lifers" What a joke
You are really Pro Death.

32rocky14(709 comments)posted 4 years, 8 months ago

Defending yourself is one thing.
Just killing someone is another thing
This is why we have God in heaven---it's called Judgment Day.

33cathgal(8 comments)posted 4 years, 8 months ago

#43 How do you know that he was unrepentive? How are you in a position to judge that?

Perhaps they should in prison, grow their own food, make their own clothing, etc. We do not need to kill, and it certainly shouldn't come down to money as to whether a human being, regardless of the crime, lives or dies.

Anyone who is quoting an eye for an eye from the Bible perhaps would do well to look into the gospels where Jesus uses the same verse and says, turn the other cheek.

I am not suggesting that we should let him out by turn the other cheek, I am saying don't use the Bible, God's written word to justify premediating Mr Browns "legal" murder. What he did was terrible, horrific. Now, many more have been hurt. He could have been kept in prison to pay for his crimes. Why are so many so blood thirsty? It does not bring the victim's back. As a matter of fact, it hurts Mark's innocent family members. Is that justice? Show me just how exactly, the death penalty is a detterent. It never was, it is a vengance, end of story. My heart goes out to the victims who were murdered, their family, and Mr Brown's family and Mr Brown himself, whom we decided (mind you in a perfectly rational state of mind, not fuzzy with drugs, etc). should die. God have mercy on all of us.