Remaining portion of Westlake Terrace development to be razed, new structures built

Published: Tue, February 2, 2010 @ 1:27 p.m.

YOUNGSTOWN — Youngstown Metropolitan Housing Authority is seeking funding to demolish the remaining 220 apartments in its Westlake Terrace Homes housing project and replace them with 120 mansion-style and townhouse apartments.

The housing authority hopes to fund the $22.5 million proposal, which would be built in two 60-unit phases over the next several years, with low-income housing tax credits from the Ohio Housing Finance Agency, said Clifford Scott, YMHA director.

The new development would feature a clubhouse, two parking spaces adjacent to each residential unit, and a washer and dryer within each unit, Scott said. Mansion-style dwellings mean two or three residential units in each building, he said.

For the complete story, see Wednesday's Vindicator and Vindy.com

Comments

1JeffLebowski(953 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

Gunracks. Gonna need gunracks. We may as well pay for those too, right?

2Ginger76(178 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

I want a clubhouse.

3walter_sobchak(1747 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

When you give people something and expect nothing in return, you get problems. Nothing is truly appreciated unless it is earned.

4north_side_girl(213 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

"mansion style" isn't as swanky as it sounds. they had those where i grew up, it just means that the porch has pillars and steps that go up and down to the apartments, usually 2 per floor, with a central hall and lobby.

though im sure the construction quality will be on par with the mcmansions of boardman and canfield, which are now sinking into the ground.

5Nunya22(315 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

Some of the people who use assistance do actually work but just dont make enough. And people who are on welfare have to work a job worksite or find their own job and still not get paid enough from it to keep cash/food benefits.

But it is about time those apartments were knocked down and fixed up hopefully it gets better down in that area.

6Ginger76(178 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

Well, I hope some good comes from it...
Its the reporting that makes them sound better than what they really are.

I like my sturdy house built in 1954. Wouldnt change it for a McMansion.

7Millie(192 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

Go over what was spent there in the last 20 years and it will hit over $30M. This is a disgrace and needs a serious investigation. I agree with te previous comment $187,000 a unit is just NUTS.

8DirtForce_1(40 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

Let us not forget that in 10 years that $187,000 unit will be worth $50,000 at best once they get trashed!

9ComeOnMan(17 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

Those apartments are study built brick buildings that look fine. What do they want free housing to look like?

I drive by MLK all the time and get a kick out of the housing authority mowing the lawn, cutting the grass, and raking leaves while people sit on the porches drinking beer watching them.

These type of policies along with Section 8 free home rental has driven all the decent people out of the city or to the outskirts of town.

$187k per unit are you kidding me?

10Stan(9923 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

WHAT A JOKE ! I see no mention of an indoor shooting range . With the new gunshot spotter system being installed this is a necessity . Far too many people have been getting wounded in the subculture shootings . A higher kill ratio per gunshot is needed in the projects . With chipboard construction these units will be easy to penetrate with gunfire . The old brick units needed gunshot placement to either doors or windows . Yep, the new units will be a hit !

11saysithowitiz(98 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

I hope some of you idiots really don't think that $187 is really going into each unit. Once you take the demolition into account and other items like parking lots and the club house the per unit cost would drop dramatically. Try $50k-80k per unit. Remember, the contractor takes a cut too!

12borylie(742 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

Feed the monster.

13LtMacGowan(622 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

A Society can be judged by how it takes care of the poor. You bitch about tax money being spent to take care of the poor and downtrodden, I live on $700 a month of disability now, before I hear the all to often derisive remarks I have Iraqi sharpnel lodged next to my spine, Do I not deserve help from my Country that I served? Or will you tell me "To get a job" too?

14Stan(9923 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

LtMacGowan :

I see nothing wrong with you getting one of those units . Westlake Terrace had been a drug haven and a killing field in the past . You are on your own while living there . YPD may not respond in time . I sure hope that you still have shooting skills to defend yourself .

15Rokscout(310 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

Well this society should be scolded for not teaching it's "poor" to be accountable, hard working, and have a desire to improve their standing.
Yes, most of the parking will be used since everything else is paid for. Anyone notice how many large SUVs are parked outside of section 8 slums? Meanwhile, you are driving your little car because you have to make your paycheck last to cover food and everything else you are WORKING for.
Lt. MacGowan, from one vet to another, you earned anything you are given. Most of the people we are fed up with around here have not and NEVER will do anything to earn what they are given.

16borylie(742 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

Lt., too bad you lumped yourself in with most of these people. I'd rather triple your benefits than give one penny to someone who has made a career out of making the wrong decisions.

17Nonsocialist(710 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

Lt MacGowan,

You have made great sacrifices for your Nation, for myself and my family. I thank you for that. For those sacrifices, you should be cared for by the Nation for whom you've given so much.

Your service and sacrifice can in no way be compared to the usual able-bodied, government-dependent individual who's sacrifice consists of applying for and voting for other people's money.

It, in my opinion, is not compassionate to foster government-dependence, sloth, crime, destruction of the family, underachievement, and disease. What's more, it's not compassionate to steal from unborn Americans to pay for anything.

People, in general, are resourceful, intelligent and hard working. When the incentives to live dependent on others are gone, the able-bodied will work, and take pride in their work. The ill and disabled will be provided for by voluntary charity, in a far better way than any government could.

18LtMacGowan(622 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

Thank you all for your comments, but I stand by these people. I am now poor like it or not and these people are suffering through the same hardships that I am.

I am not saying that there aren't people abusing the system, or aren't lazy and just won't work, but the reasons for these people being in poverty are as varied as the people themselves. You can't just lump them all together and cast them away. How you treat the least of my brethren you treat me. I served my country yes but that doesn't make me any different than any other person struggling through hard times. We have a duty to help those less fortunate. Its not a hand out, but a hand up.

and yes I'm well aware that the former Westlake Housing Project was a haven for drug dealers, but there were also a lot of innocent poor people trying to eek out a meager living. I view taxes as a way a person pays back society for their success. Say what you will about personal iniative or drive, but if it were not for the society we live in you might be homeless or poor. We have a duty to repay Society and help those in need of help.

I'll get down off my soap box now. lol.

19borylie(742 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

Lt., I don't owe society squat for my successes or for that matter my failures. I owe my successes to my hard work, good decision making and not wanting to depend on anybody for anything. Let's qualify the needy. How about drug and alcohol testing each month they PICK UP their check?

20Nonsocialist(710 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

There are many riches in life. Many would rightfully say that the best riches are time with family and time pursuing leisure. I gave up both for a log time to pursue a career.

How is it fair to take my "riches" and not provide me with with riches of others? Why is it fair to redistribute my income, but not my hardships and sacrifice that I incurred to get there?

We've practiced "social justice" since FDR and especially since LBJ. It has created hardship. More "social justice" with cause further destruction of lives and families.

Social justice is as compassionate as offering someone a crumb and shackles.

21Stan(9923 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

"How about drug and alcohol testing each month they PICK UP their check?"

Oh the political incorrectness of such a statement ! The is no need for them to be sober as they don't work !

Westlake Terrace was completely rebuilt not too long ago at taxpayer expense . Being destructive to society does have its rewards !

22LtMacGowan(622 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

borylie, would you be as successful if you were born and living in say... Haiti? or perhaps N. Korea, surely just plain hard work could over come the society in North Korea...

23borylie(742 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

Lt., you're starting to lose credibility with me. Are you comparing the United States with Haiti and North Korea? How in the heck I'm I supposed to know if I was born in those countries would I be successful. All I know is opportunity is in abundance in this country and I took advantage of it. Came into this world poor, dropped out of H.S. to work, lived in the Brier Hill projects and instead of falling into the traps of life I worked and saved. I'm no genius with no particular skills, so just about anybody that wants to can have a better life. Quit feeling sorry for these sorry people.

24nape(9 comments)posted 2 years, 3 months ago

I hear that someone has made a documentary on Westlake Terrace Homes Youngstown Ohio . It was the nations first federally funded public housing build in the country . What a special way to honor Youngstown and the late senator Micheal J Kirwan .