Judge sets $3M bond for man accused of killing elderly woman

Published: Mon, February 1, 2010 @ 1:18 p.m.
  Arraignment for Jamar "Mook" Houser

Arraignment for Jamar "Mook" Houser

Arraignment for Jamar "Mook" Houser

YOUNGSTOWN — A city man accused of gunning down an elderly woman in her church parking lot is being held in the Mahoning County Jail on a multimillion-dollar bond.

Jamar Houser, 18, of Volney Road, appeared today for video arraignment before Judge Robert Milich of Youngstown Municipal Court on charges of aggravated murder and aggravated robbery in the robbery and murder of 80-year-old Angeline Fimognari.

She was killed after she left morning services at St. Dominic Church, 77 E. Lucius Ave., on Jan. 23.

Houser entered no plea to the charges, but told the court he had no income, is supported by his parents, and would therefore need a court-appointed attorney.

Houser also asked the judge to set “a reasonable bond.” After prosecutor’s read off the 18-year-old’s past criminal record, the judge saw $3 million as a reasonable bond.

For more on this story, see Tuesday’s Vindicator and Vindy.com

Comments

1Stan(9923 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

It looks like The Mook stays in "The Slammer" !

2Nunya22(315 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

I just seen his arraignment video his facial expressions to old charges like he surprised just gives me a bad feeling about this young man. But I will keep that to myself until all facts come out for this case.

3Youngstown(19 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

Unbelievable.

4dan1486(10 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

WOW are you serious.. He really asked to set a reasonable bond? ARE YOU REALLY SERIOUS? You gun down an poor old woman and you want to be out running the street and killing more? You are a pathetic piece of crap. Plus if your 18 and dont have a job and living off of mommy and daddy you deserve to sit your a$$ in jail and rot. Your no good to this community. Kill an older woman just to get in a gang.. WOW.. Go get a real life and a job be a good asset to this community. Just be lucky a CCW license holder wasnt around when you did that because im sure you would have been shot also.

5Stan(9923 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

Jamar still feels like he is in control . If his trial does not result in a death sentence he may be released in the future to try his luck again .

6moringlory(14 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

you poor misundestood intercity youth , dont they know how hard it is for you..............you are a pathetic piece of crap ,I am sure your family is real proud of you ,too bad you get a trial , what you need is the same as you gave to the women you killed.Heck call me for jury I will be right there! until then rot in jail then rot in hell

7chieflotta(1 comment)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

take him outside and shoot him...he will never amount to anything but a criminal...why waste tax dollars on him

8Stan(9923 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

I predict that plenty more information about Jamar, his girlfriend and her mother will be surfacing .

9tkytown(43 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

a cold blooded killer who deserves the same fate as his poor defenseless victim

10Stan(9923 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

Jamar's blood was boiling that morning with a hatred of the system . He declared war by shooting the old woman . Now as a captive he wants to be treated well .

11cathgal(8 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

It is a tragedy that a woman's life was ended, and a young man's life ruined. From what I understand, Angeline was a very faithful person. My guess is she would recoil at some of the hatred expressed on this page. If he commited the murder, than society should be protected, but that not need result in another death, namely his by the death penalty. If he commited the murder, society can be protected by putting him in prison.

12DirtForce_1(40 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

He's worse than a piece of crap...flies won't even land on him....hopefully someone in jail wacks him before he gets a chance in our justice system!

13pamdelli(3 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

mook the "maggot" murdered a dear lady and the hearts of all who cared! We were thinking about moving back to Youngstown, NO! THANKS TO MAGGOT we will stay in Columbus!

14Nunya22(315 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

@ Paulb Do you think all young black males act like they have no home training?

I also have another question where are some of yall finding out he has a child from?

15prodgodq(149 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

I understand the emotions surrounding this crime, but the law still applies: He is presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. I'm not implying he's innocent, I'm not implying he's guilty. Let the process take its course. The police are usually right in cases like these, but they're not perfect. That's why due process exists. IF he's found guilty, I won't feel sorry for him. I also suspect that if he's found guilty, his prison time will be very hard time. Killing children and the elderly is frowned upon in prison.

16Stan(9923 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

Where ya been prodgodq :

"Killing children and the elderly is frowned upon in prison."

Killing an old white woman by her Church is attacking the system . His fellow guests of society will look up to him . Notoriety is good right up to execution day .

Let us not forget Mark Aaron Brown who has a date with destiney on February fourth two thousand and ten . He is appealing for an out . Killing his victims gave him some joy until he was caught .

-----------------------------------------------
SO DO I BUT ONLY FOR THE INNOCENT VICTIMS !

17fitnessbuff(57 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

go to the Mahoning County Probate Court web site. Type in Houser Jamar and you will see that he had a probate guardianship matter case in 2004. I wonder if he will use his funds from this case to retain counsel. His mother has a very Italian sounding last name.

18woolyd(579 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

Nunnya dont hold back your feelings sister. I watched the video too and this is just a brotha that dont give a f@@k and thought he was going to get out again. It sad many black men act this way and then when they get caught they act surprised and at times scared. As a black woman nunnya you need to speak out your feeling and dont shield him because he afterall is not the representation of a black man you want.

19Nunya22(315 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

@Paulb Oh okay and I do agree with some of the stuff you stated Slavery is not in the U.S. but is rumored to exist in the deep south in the U.S. though.

But in my opinion people as a whole need to work together to put an end to racism of any kind of all ethnic backgrounds and nationalities for a very big change to happen. And alot of men and women need to be ready and make sure they love the person they had sex with and stick around even if it doesn't work out between the two of them if they end up having a child together. I just feel that would really help and improve some issues with everyone of today.

Alot of people don't respect the values of marriage and this trend has been going on ever since people started to get married. It's just now a days it's not hidden in the dark (like alot of stuff that you see on the tv and internet) like it was back in the old days. Some people still think that marriage in the old days was the best.

The birth rates are going up because how society presents itself. Sex is all over the tv and internet, almost every tv commercial you see it is talking about lubricants, babies, diapers, trojan condoms, and tv shows and movies promoting how great sex feels. Now a days you have kids in elementary school that need the sex talk. It also doesn't help when you as the adult having sex and your children hear you or see you or find sex toys or something sex related in your home because you were not careful putting it up somewhere and peer pressure from fellow students/friends.

20Stan(9923 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

Nunya22 :

There you go ! Off topic talking about marriage . I am concerned that Jamar my not be able express himself sexually while in jail . Perhaps you could send him a blow up doll ?

21Nunya22(315 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

@woolyd I will say watching this video was sickining watching him make these faces like he don't know what they are talking about about his past records, how it doesn't seem like he is taking this serious at all. I'm still going by what I first read how the police made an assumption on him when I read about them picking him up on wytv.com. I didn't want to make an ignorant statement and just assume he is a murderer without all the facts. But as for some of these young black males that go to the streets and die in them or get locked up because of wanting that lifestyle. That will be something I will never respect or ever get why they are so angry and feel like they have to fight and kill and not care about the next person. Kids need to be in a childs place and stop trying to act like a grown adult so young that is getting out of hand with alot of the kids of today.

22mrblue(973 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

Who is the judge that reduced the bond and let this killer back on the street? Who was his attorney? Ask the judge and the attorney how they would feel if the victim was a member of their family. Let's hope that no one drops the ball this time and put this moron on death row. He has absolutely no respect for life.

23Nunya22(315 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

@Stan I was not repling to you. When I am addressing you or someone else on this vindy site I will put the symbol for ansi (not sure if I used the currect term it has been awhile) up like I did with this reply that is now meant for you. Instead of being an ass towards me replying to another poster which has nothing to do with you. Why dont you put your input about me and Paulb little discussion or just stay all the way on topic yourself of this story the vindy staff have posted up okay.

24northsideart(111 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

Interesting and telling demographic study of murder in New York City.

25Stan(9923 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

Nunya22 :

My concern for Jamar is definitely staying on topic . FYI Jamar does have feelings . He feels contempt for society .

26Lifes2Short(3875 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

From that video, he just doesn't care. And it would not surprise me if he went back to the cell laughing and acting like a big shot. That video said it all. What a waste of human flesh.

27captainpeewee(66 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

Jamar not to worry, there is a white squirrel girl out there that will kill her parents for the insurgence money to bail you out,and to be her baby daddy.

28TheLostPatrol(755 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

Regardless of the color of his skin, black or white, it was not society, his mother, his wife, or his child, that made him pull the trigger, it was HIS choice as an ADULT, to take that woman's life. He could have grabbed what he wanted and been on his way. So now he'll have to sit and wait, take orders, and be subjected to whatever, as the fate of the rest of his entire life on earth rests in the hands of a jury of his peers; us, as a society This tragedy should not have occurred on anyone of any skin color, because it was a senseless thing to do to a defenseless elderly person. I believe if he is convicted, he will not last a year alive in "the big house", because that is a whole different society in itself, and he won't be abe to walk around freely with a gun in that place to protect himself. Call it, "a thinning of the herd".

29woolyd(579 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

LIFE if the man goes back to his cell acting like Billy bad azz he may get shanked.
NUNNYA that attitude you had in your reply to me is the attitude more people in the black community need to have to stop the cycle of violence in the community. We need to find a way to get these kids to takeeducation seriously. I go to YSU and I see many black youth in the early college and in YSU only studying two things while there at the school. And those two things are myspace, facebook, etc on the computer and basketball at the rec center. Thye need to appreciate the oppurtunity they have at YSU and use it for education and not as a social event.

30Lifes2Short(3875 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

woolyd
No, he won't get shanked. Believe me, I've been there, they don't care. They will be laughing and joking around. You could just tell by the way he presented himself on the video. That is how it is in the jail. It's sad, but they just don't care. Now when he goes to prison, then things will change for him like night and day. He will be a lost soul with the hard core criminals in a max prison. His fun and games will definitely be over when he leaves Mahoning County.

31Nunya22(315 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

@woolyd Thats great you're going to YSU I wish you the best. Oh by the way I graduated from a private school called ETI Technical College. I remember how I was in high school I hated high school ( because of how some of the kids acted) I could of worked harder than what I did though but I still did get good grades. I worked ten times harder in college than what I did in high school, I took it more serious. Some of these kids might get the picture after they graduate high school or after they see their parents/guardians won't always be there for them to get the picture. I think alot of schools need to take field trips to places like a homeless shelter, a prison, or another country with permission from parents and the board to get through to some of these kids. They could also get guest speakers that could come in and talk to the kids and show them videos of how some kids in other countries wish they could have what us americans have. There is alot of ways they could get money to raise to do those type of trips. Another way the teachers and parents/guardians as a whole shouldn't give up on the trouble makers look where some of them end up. If they dont give up on them maybe graduation rates could raise higher for high school. Also with what is going on with money issues of our country alot of schools need to teach and really get it through the students minds of how much even more harder they have to work to survive. And how they should go futher in their education with some type of schooling after high school. Because at this rate with alot of the kids now a days they will be doomed with the way they are acting which could make some of us doomed as well when some of us end up elderly. All of us could go on youtube,myspace, facebook,twitter, etc and find alot of dancing very sexually and videos of fighting and alot of inappropriate pictures with very young kids and even some adults sadly.

32shytainturbiz(1 comment)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

everyone on this site is acting like jamar did this he is innocent until proven guilty, if thys comes out that he didnt do this you people are dragging this young mans name through the mud like u are gonna testify that he did do it. nobody knows the facts nobody does all this is media and hearsay until proven otherwise, a old white lady gets killed in youngstown ohio and all hell breaks loose, if and young black boy or and old black man or woman gets killed in youngstown its gang related, or drug deal or some ignorant shyt like that, oh well. you people have your priorities mixed up seiously. lets look at the facts before we start runing a young mans life off of hear say. i know this much if it comes out that this young man did not do this and the DA made a mistake Youngstown ohio is gonna be in for something major. if it was my son i would sue the hell out of youngstown ohio!!!

33MrBill(43 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

captainpeewee, jamar he no worrie bout bein' no baby daddy, he worrie bout bein' sum daddy littel girl when he go to big jail house....

34Lifes2Short(3875 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

shytainturbiz

"nobody knows the facts nobody does all this is media and hearsay until proven otherwise,"

They had 32 cameras proving otherwise and with the FBI enhancing the images, and not to mention the $10,000 reward, people snitch for that amount of money, even his family or ones that don't talk to the police. Money talks.It looks like Jamar is going away for a long time and the police have the right animal.

"a old white lady gets killed in youngstown ohio and all hell breaks loose"

Have some respect her name was Angeline Fimognari, maybe to you there just old white/black ladies,men,but to a respectful society they do have a name. And what if she was your grandmother, would she just be a "old lady?"

"if and young black boy or and old black man or woman gets killed in youngstown its gang related, or drug deal or some ignorant shyt like that"

Answer truthfully, is it not true the majority of the time?

"if it was my son i would sue the hell out of youngstown ohio!!!"

You must not even care about the conviction and trail and such, already thinking/talking about suing the city. For what money? So typical.

35Nunya22(315 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

@shytainturbiz everyone on this site isn't thinking automatically that he did it believe it or not there are some people on this site waiting for the facts.

@Lifes2Short I had read on wytv.com about how the police assumed they have the right guy.

But if this kid didn't do that he could of showed alittle respect and just sat there without making all those faces acting ignorant. And if he did do it he deserves to be punished.

36Nunya22(315 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

@USA1 I said in a different headline how it is ridiculous how he wasn't punished harsh with his old charges.

But just going off on a old case doesn't make someone guilty even though deep down it does seem like he did it. But in the end we all have to wait for all the facts because if he didn't do this crime and it was someone else that person would still be out there living it up.

37airforcee1987(4 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

The best form of punishment for this idiot....SOLITARY CONFINEMENT...for life. Don't even let him out of the cell for a minute. It all starts in the home...and how his parents have raised him. If the momma and daddy are sorry & pitiful...there kids will be just like them.

38julescakes(9 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

piece of crap! shoot him now! save tax dollars!

39Stan(9923 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

shytainturbiz :

Are you full of BS or are you raising bail to get this poor innocent soul out of jail ?

Then for the trial a good alibi will be needed along with some character witnesses . How about a teacher or minister to speak up for him ?

40woolyd(579 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

Nunya it is called a pattern of violence and trust me most people who have done what he has in the past generally graduate to killing or being killed. DNA dont lie and neither do the cameras around a church.
SHYTAIN you make those comments and you sound ignorant as hell. Where is the cooperation of your people when it comes to the Quadruple on Evergreen? How about the triple on New York Ave in 2004? Simone Haskins and the Davis kid? The fact is the black community is apathetic about the rampant crime and murders. its not about black or white but it appears that white people are less willing to watch as their elderly are being killed.Black youth are killed daily and people do care but those who know what happened to seem to give a damn.So before throwing the race card check your own s##t.
Life I was more less referring to when he gets sent to OSP to serve his death sentence.