Sorry, no featured jobs currently.

No. 1: Ursuline football three-peats

Published: Wed, December 29, 2010 @ 12:01 a.m.
  URSULINE vs. COLDWATER

Blitz highlight reel

Blitz highlight reel

Lima Central Vs. Ursuline

Blitz highlight reel

Blitz highlight reel

KIRTLAND Vs. URSULINE

Blitz highlight reel

Blitz highlight reel

After beating South Range at Stambaugh Stadium, Ursuline traveled 217 one-way miles to knock off opponents in Green Twp. (vs. Norwayne Creston); Aurora (vs. Kirtland) and Ashland (vs. Lima Central Catholic) before settling into more familiar confines at Canton’s Fawcett Stadium, where the Irish won a third consecutive Div. V state championship by beating Coldwater.

Ursuline outscored the five teams, 247-79.

Ursuline also beat formidable competition in the regular season, including 2010 Div. II state semifinalist Mentor Lake Catholic.

The Irish, who may become known as the Bryson Street Bullies, became just the sixth school to win three straight football titles.

“I couldn’t ask for a better group of linemen,” Ursuline center Pete Wearsch said following the 51-21 win over Coldwater.

Wearsch started at right tackle against Coldwater in 2009.

As the 2010 game against Coldwater wound down, Wearsch, who earned third-team all-Ohioan in Div. V, got some rare time on defense.

“I kind of asked coach at the end of the game to put me in just one series before I graduate,” Wearsch said following Ursuline’s most recent win that capped a 15-0 season.

Akise Teague led Ursuline’s rushing attack with 2,475 yards.

Teague’s pattern of explosive touchdown runs followed the analogy of dime in the backfield, dollar at the line of scrimmage and depository in the end zone.

Comments

1UnionForever(1470 comments)posted 4 years ago

Ursuline is the best team that can be recruited. Until the OHSAA does something to neutralize the unfairness of the ability for private schools to recruit from a wide ranging area, these championships mean NOTHING!

2Freeatlast(1991 comments)posted 4 years ago

Prove it with facts not hearsay

3timOthy(802 comments)posted 4 years ago

Forever your Nuts! Way to go Irish. You guys hung and survived a tough road to get to the top! The area is so proud of your accomplishments!!!!

4MLC75(589 comments)posted 4 years ago

GOOD JOB URSULINE !

I agree with TimOthy,you have issues.If you don't like anything here and are constantly negative.I have a solution for you MOVE somewhere else.

5HaydenThomas(208 comments)posted 4 years ago

Not only is it recruiting but it is alumni providing tuition for the football players. Then miraculously, Ursuline moved down to D-V so that they didn't have to face Mooney at playoff time. Beating small schools with D-I talent is hardly an accomplishment worth crowing about.

6Morrigan(83 comments)posted 4 years ago

Congratulations, UHS!

7ThatGirl(17 comments)posted 3 years, 12 months ago

I absolutely agree that the OHSAA needs to separate the public and private schools to level the playing field. However, this does not diminish the hard work that the players and coaches at Ursuline put in to win the title this -- congratulations!

8joseph(47 comments)posted 3 years, 12 months ago

Ursuline is done from here on. No more vouchers. How many out of state players were on this year's team I wonder.

9joseph(47 comments)posted 3 years, 12 months ago

10countryboymark(25 comments)posted 3 years, 12 months ago

Congrats Ursuline! Thank you for showing what hard work, discipline, and teamwork will accomplish!

11briant(57 comments)posted 3 years, 12 months ago

JOSEPH: Out of STATE players? If a player is THAT good, why would he move to Youngstown?? Well, at least UHS is not on the South Side

As a Mooney grad (1983)- Congrats to UHS...Three tiles in a row is a great accomplishment-in any sport.

For God's sake, something FINALLY good has happened in Y-town and some people are complaining about it!

Show some pride...that's what made Y-Town so special for decades...

12joseph(47 comments)posted 3 years, 12 months ago

They had a player from the Detroit area.

13MLC75(589 comments)posted 3 years, 12 months ago

What a bunch of negative cry baby haters,you people should be ashamed of your selfs.We have a Youngstown team that is three time state champs,be proud.

14valleyred(1100 comments)posted 3 years, 12 months ago

The negative people with no lives on here that bash Ursuline, YSU, and everything good in the Mahoning Valley have some major issues. The whining and crying of these individuals is beyond immature. For whatever reason they believe trying to degrade a school for their success will make them feel better inside because their respective schools cannot see similar success on the field.

Congratulations URSULINE! #24 TEAM IN AMERICA by ESPN!

Fulton Sheen said it best, “Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius.”

15briant(57 comments)posted 3 years, 12 months ago

Now that I think about it, WHO cares if the Alumni of these schools donate money for TUITION! At least they are spending their own money and giving a few kids a chance. Think about it, what is in it for the donor other than a tax write off?

There is still such thing as kindness. Some can afford to support their high school and colleges and they do.

I mopped floors and my mother volunteered at Bingo to help pay my tuition at CMHS. I was a very good athlete. Does that make the school WRONG for giving me a chance?

16proudmom8(1 comment)posted 3 years, 12 months ago

ENOUGH!! I have listen to the whining and complaining about Ursuline all year..Ursulines is in the wrong division and Ursuline recruits.First off I am a parent ot a 3 year football player,We live in Boardman which is considered a great school district but my son still wanted 2 go 2 ursuline..Every year i have to send my financial statements to P.a.s.s.. not ursuline who determines how much aid we are intitled too if any.Recruitment thats a joke,If being asked 2 go to a school and still being responsible for your tution is recruiting than yes my son was recruited,I call it having a choice!!! If people are so upset with inner city schools being able to attend private schools than blame Bush he's the one who invented no child left behind..And as far as all those comments about we are in the wrong division I call that ignorance and lack of knowledge..A school cannot chose what division that the play in it is determined by the number of boys enrolled in that school.And playing in a higher divs. would be nothing for us and the results would 9 times out of ten be the same being that all year long we play teams in those same divs that u wish we were in..Saying all that to say this "If you knew better You would do better....Oh yea and all the boys on our team are from the area so the comment about a kid from the detriot area is a blatent lie.
CONGRATULATIONS URSULINE AND WAY TO MAKE YOUNGSTOWN PROUD!! ALSO CONGRATS ON BEING INVITED TO THE BROWNS/STEELERS GAME SUNDAY...

17badeepster(118 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

Whether they recruit or not (they do), it's a joke to play D5--South Range?? Are you kidding me--these titles come with huge asterisks to the non-Ursuline people. Sorry--just statin' the truth.

18dicaprio7(17 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

Here is my solution to the problem...keep all the teams with hay, tractors, and cows in one Division...and keep the city boys in another....Division 1 should be called the "hay-makers" and Division 2 should be called the "Playmakers"!

19DrWho(2 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

Ursuline is perfectly within their rights to manipulate the system to their advantage, but unfortunately they have lost both respect and any moral direction in the process. As an alumnus of Ursuline, I remember when we actually played a real schedule as part of the SVC and winning meant something. A quick glance at the schedule shows very few contests with local schools anymore. It is a sad joke for Ursuline to be anywhere near Div V (especially with Mooney in Div III), and it would be a huge embarrassment if they didn't win the state title every year. As a comparison, think about how it would look if Notre Dame played in a lower division. I also remember my parents working hard to pay tuition (which my siblings and I contributed to with after-school jobs) while certain athletes received very generous financial aid while barely meeting academic requirements. I hold no ill-will toward the students, as we were friends and I continue to wish them all the best, but I just wish the school would be honest about its priorities, which from my experience have little to do with Catholic education or high academic standards. I was and still am a huge football fan, but I can' t in good conscience support the school, and would be interested in seeing the statistics of alumni giving over the past 20 years. I also wonder what will happen to both Ursuline and Mooney as the Diocese continues to lose parishioners and a base in their elementary schools. Dirty laundry needs to be cleaned eventually, and I hope the school faces its issues sooner rather than later.

20dicaprio7(17 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

DrWho: If you knew anything about the Demographics of Youngstown, you would see Mooney has far more feeder school still open than Ursuline. The only one left is St. Joseph in Campbell, St. Christine's kids mostly go to Mooney and St. Pat's to Hubbard....believe me, our AD does everything in his power to try to schedule teams from the area. I myself went out on a limb and asked the Poland coach to schedule us....he said "not interested". And unless you have every record of every single "student-athlete" I suggest to you : Get your facts straight before your keyboard over-runs your brain and you make a fool out of yourself as you just did!

21DrWho(2 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

~Sigh~
First off, I know full well the demographics of Youngstown, as well as the rules governing Division placement. The point is it does no good for a school which has the capability of fielding an elite team every year to play schools it can and should beat easily because those sorts of things don't make for enjoyable competition and only foster bad feelings all the way around. I wish it were different, but unfortunately it isn't as that is the system and we all must make the best of it. Second, I can't speak for every student who ever attended the school, but I wasn't really trying to, only those I knew during my tenure. The information came from the students' mouths, and unless they were lying (which I find hard to believe given the circumstances at the time) it is sound. I don't think anyone has any illusions about ways in which schools attract students, and if something happened once it could certainly happen again. Third, while there are still feeder schools open on the other side of town, it would be foolish to think that will always be the case given current trends. It was more a general comment about the future of the schools than anything else. Last, can you really blame Poland's coach for brushing you off? I wouldn't want to deal with such an obnoxious and abrasive person either.

22rick51(96 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

Flag this comment if offensive:!
Sounds RIGHT to me!!!!!!!!!!

23dicaprio7(17 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

During your tenure as what? Coach, Counselor, someone who was fired for some reason...please do share!!!! You seem like you swallowed some sour grapes from Ursuline......share with us your sorrows...

24dicaprio7(17 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

Post #33: Crestview or South Range?? Who do you represent? In all honesty, most local D 5 teams were eliminated before they met Ursuline.....you actually think you would stand a chance with the Western Ohio teams??? Get over yourself!!