Millcreek Children’s Center director resigns

Published: Tue, December 28, 2010 @ 12:06 a.m.

photo

Millcreek Children's Center Executive Director Michele D. Grant

Staff report

YOUNGSTOWN

After just one month of on-the-job training, the new Millcreek Children’s Center executive director has resigned.

Michele Grant, 56, was announced as the center’s new leader at a press conference Nov. 6, when she announced her goals to serve as many children as possible, maintain the excellent status of the school and raise more money to continue the work of the center.

Grant is a McDonald native and former associate director of development at the Rich Center for Autism. She also was executive director of Prints in Progress, an art program in Philadelphia serving urban youths.

Sister Jerome Corcoran, the former 94-year-old executive director, said she will continue her role until a new successor is found.

“We’re starting a new search this coming week, and we know this time it’ll be good,” she said.

Sister Corcoran said she learned of Grant’s decision this weekend but would not say why Grant chose to resign.

“Honestly, I think, in everybody’s interest, I shouldn’t say anything,” she said.

Sister Corcoran has been executive director at MCC for the past 35 years.

Students at the center are on winter break, and classes will resume Monday.

Comments

1steelhead(123 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

Sister Corcoran was probably her usual petty, controlling, confrontational, impossible to please self. I know this is not a popular opinion, but it is the truth. This person is not what she appears to be. I am sure that at one time she may have been the wonderful person that is portrayed in the media, but that time has LONG ago passed. She is bitter and mean to employees. It's a shame that noone wants to address or force her to address her mental health issues.

2Socker(3 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

I agree. Ms. Grant must have had a very good reason for "resigning". Although I doubt that it was her choice. She was told I have no doubt.

3ojanet22(134 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

"In everybody's best interest"? Doesn't she mean in her own best interest? Furthermore, Ms. Grant didn't choose anything. I pity the fool that fills that vacancy.

4teachnwee1s(1 comment)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

I don't believe that in this day and age of media hype and sensationalism that no one has the guts, or just plain curiosity, to dig into the background story, or should I say STORIES, to address the issues facing MCC. No one is digging!

There is an aged nun making decisions from a frame of reference that is decades old and ruling with an iron fist! There is an Administrator making curriculum choices with no preschool classroom experience to speak of and no formal degree in early childhood education!

But I give them credit. They understand how to spin a story better than any politician. I guess the press is in someone's backpocket.

5Attis(855 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

A 94 year old demented nun is running a childcare center!? Why is this allowed? Because these are poor kids and they don't matter? What's the matter with this picture?

6Nunya(1356 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

Wow,

Allow me to state I don't know nor have I met either of these people. However, I've heard from numerous people that this Ms. Jerome Corcoran, fits the disparaging description of her being expressed here. However, thing is I'd always wondered why didn't the members of the board or people that has children there just demand she be ousted.

Where I'll not go into the things stated or allege I know her to be that problematic. However, I'd heard those disturbing things long before now and apparently no one seems to be contending otherwise,.. neither here nor personally.

Thus not to be neither insensitive, disparaging or anyway impartial to age or religion. However, in my loving, respecting, defending and protecting the elderly. Fact is at 94, years of age she's { or anyone else at such a senior age } likely long been more suited for retirement years ago.

That as opposed to advancing as any integral part of decision making or managerial empowerment. That's just from the mental and physical nuances of the natural process of aging. It's great she's lived so long but no way could or should anyone of such an age be required, expected nor allowed to be entrenched as orchestrating anything.

Lastly in factoring all that's there to distinguish. In and of itself clearly indicates somethings horribly wrong with the stewardship of the MMC. So much to the point it reeks of it being ran as nothing less than some internal racket.

7areuwelcam(19 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

All of these posted comments are so true and accurate. Her mean and vindictive nature makes it impossible to have a successor. While it is not popular to speak honestly about our elders, let alone a nun, the fact is she will lie and manipulate. She has made racist comments that are dismissed because of age. No one can challenge her because she controls and ramrods her agenda.