3 face charges in chain-snatching outside Covelli

Published: Wed, December 22, 2010 @ 12:06 a.m.

By John W. Goodwin Jr.

jgoodwin@vindy.com

YOUNGSTOWN

Three men face multiple felony charges for alleged crimes that include snatching an $800 gold chain from the neck of a 14-year-old boy at a basketball game, and, for two of the men, a shooting on the South Side.

Joseph Solomon, 20, of Parkwood Avenue, Arliss Casey, 18, of Parkwood Avenue, and Devonte Housely, no age or address given, appeared Tuesday for arraignment before Judge Elizabeth Kobly of Youngstown Municipal Court.

Solomon was arrested at his home just before noon Monday. Casey and Housely were arrested a short time later in the 300 block of Plum Street.

Solomon is in Mahoning County jail on a $75,000 bond for robbery. Casey is in jail on a combined bond of $225,000 for robbery, felonious assault and improper handling of a firearm. Housely is jailed on a combined $300,000 bond for robbery, felonious assault, improper handling of a firearm and shooting into a habitation.

All three are scheduled to appear Tuesday before Judge Kobly for a preliminary hearing to determine if their cases will be heard by a grand jury.

Robbery charges against all three stem from an alleged attack and theft outside the Covelli Centre two weeks ago.

Tennille Reeder, 34, of Youngstown, said her 14-year-old son went to the Covelli Centre to watch a series of basketball games. She said the boy wanted to dress up for the event and left the house wearing a gold chain with a Jesus-charm valued at $800.

Reeder told police her son was standing outside the building after the games waiting for a ride when he was attacked by six young black males. She said her son was hit in the back of his head, and the gold chain was ripped from his neck.

Police say Solomon, Casey and Housely are responsible for the attack. Each of the men told the court he was indigent and requested court-appointed attorneys.

Legal issues for Housely and Casey run deeper than just the alleged attack and chain-snatching. They both face charges in a Dec. 15 incident where men shot up a South Side home and car, then ran from police.

Hance Dennis, 19, of Euclid Avenue, also charged in the shooting, already had been arrested. He is jailed on a $150,000 bond for felonious assault and failure to comply with the order of a police officer.

According to police reports, events leading to the shooting started just before 11:30 p.m. Dec. 15 at an East Ravenwood Avenue house. A 22-year-old woman and a 19-year-old man who lives at the address told police men had fired multiple shots at them as they sat in a car.

The man and woman told officers they had just arrived at the home and were about to pull into the driveway when they noticed the men standing in the driveway. The men, they told officers, opened fire on the car as they came to a stop in front of the house.

The man and woman told police they pulled away from the house but could see the men turn and begin firing at the house. The male victim told officers one of the shooters had an AK-47 assault rifle, and another man was shooting a handgun.

People inside the house told officers they heard loud gunfire outside the house. Police found five bullet holes in the car and a series of bullet holes in the outside of the house.

Dennis was arrested later after a short chase. Another man inside the car with him ran away.

Comments

1opddad(61 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

14 yr old boy,wearing an $800 neck chain, minding his own business, standing outside Covelli Center, by himself, waitng for a ride.OK that's normal.
This is a "slamdunk"...sue Covelli Center, and City of Youngstown, for not keeping this young man safe, and Mayor Jay, for stating how much safer it is in the downtown area! Heck that's a no brainer!
Uh..wait a minute..14 yrs old, he's 14 yrs old ! Nevermind..I don't know what I was thinking...

2Stan(9923 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

Just some good old boyz from tha hood . This will be smoothed over soon with time served and probation . THE CULTURE ROCKS !

3UnionForever(1470 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

More Hoodrat activities from the Southside of Youngstown. How can Mayor Jay, Jimmy Hughes, and City Council let this go on day after day?

Yes, Mayor Jay it's time to ask Governor-elect John Kasich to send in the National Guard & Highway Patrol to exterminate the southside hoodrats.

4Freeatlast(1991 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

Yes, Mayor Jay it's time to ask Governor-elect John Kasich to send in the National Guard. Best idea to solve the problem . May the only thing to solve it

5TheTruth2(9 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

Are you people serious? Wow! This is how the great people and tax payers of Youngstown think huh? You guys say they don't have education, but reading these quotes you guys are posting on these articles proves to me that you guys are not to bright neither. If this is how you really think then this is the problem of the City. You people are getting what you deserve! The thugs are the people making comments of vindy.com and then sitting back and not doing nothing to better the situation........a mother is allowed to buy her son a chain or what ever she wants! That doesn't give anybody the right to rob a 14 yr old boy!

6Lifes2Short(3875 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

thetruth2

"The thugs are the people making comments of vindy.com and then sitting back and not doing nothing to better the situation..."

And what would your idea be to better the situation in that war zone called the southside?

"a mother is allowed to buy her son a chain or what ever she wants! That doesn't give anybody the right to rob a 14 yr old boy!"

A mother has every right to buy a $800 gold chain for her 14 year old boy, but common sense tells you when to wear it.
And nobody has a right to rob a 14 year old boy, and no one has a right to shoot and kill innocent people, or rob innocent tax paying citizens trying to make a living, so if you want to talk about the boy, talk about all the other INNOCENT citizens that are robbed and killed.

7Freeatlast(1991 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

Truth maybe you should learn to read, most of the comments are ideas on how to fix the problem of crime in south side of Ytown . But I do not think the mother was using good common sense to let her son go out with a 800 dollar necklace . I do a lot of charity work in downtown Youngstown and believe it but myself or my wife do not wear any jewelry when we do .It is just common sense. But you are right , it is the mothers right to do as she sees fit . But when something is so lacking of common sense it will be pointed out . And should be , But that is my opinion

8mrblue(963 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

Until Y-town actually takes a hard stance against the morons who are constantly breaking the law----nothing will change.

9tkytown(43 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

$800.00 necklace for a 14 year old boy, I doubt it.....if it's true where are the priorities with this mother ? The three thugsresponsible for taking the chain and charged for other crimes are just a mirror of Youngstown scum that roam the streets, live off welfare (taxpayers)and terrorize residents,

10felo72(5 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

Ok, I've got an idea to fix Y-Town! Let's turn into super heroes and the tax payers take their guns and ammo bought from hard earned money and march to the South Side, North Side, East Side, and rob, shoot, set fire, and eliminate the trash! Let's start a Holocaust in Y-Town! Granted, it's definitely not legal, but the tax payers that vote these officials in office have every right to post their opinions. As much as I'd like to start a revolution and do something of this sort to clean up this God forsaken over taxed crappy town, it's just not feasible. Here’s one for you Truth, us “racists” as we’ve been called in the past, taxpaying citizens are fed up with the constant handouts given to low life’s (notice I’m not calling out a specific race or origin, I’m including all people that sit around with their hand out that create problems. If that makes me racist so be it!). Instead of bashing us for speaking the “TRUTH” about what needs to happen, how about providing us with a solution to calm us down and make things right? I’m all for passing legislation on a time limit for welfare, drug testing in order to receive welfare, or at the very least, community service in order to receive welfare or any other type of funding that comes from my tax dollars. This town should be absolutely immaculate with the amount of people receiving assistance! So, I’ll be waiting to hear your ideas…

11Freeatlast(1991 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

felo72 the last part of your comments seened very good and to the point . And I for one would vote for these if given the chance

I’m all for passing legislation on a time limit for welfare drug testing in order to receive welfare, or at the very least, community service in order to receive welfare or any other type of funding that comes from my tax dollars. This town should be absolutely immaculate with the amount of people receiving assistance!
But the first part of your comment is pretty far out of the box or tongue in cheek and I hope you were joking

12felo72(5 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

I'm joking to a degree. The first part of my post is extreme, I agree, but I'm at wits end because this town continues to spiral down the drain. What needs to happen to clean up this area? I'm just another frustrated tax payer that feels helpless. The trash of Y-town are considered terrorists in my book. It's only a matter of time before people can't take it anymore and revolt. We started with a march through the streets chanting no more crime. We've been tame for the time being, but that's not going to last if the condition doesn't improve. I'm not making threats, just look in the history books. It's all about cause and effect.

13TheTruth2(9 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

@ censoredship,

Bulb Head, huh?.....Nice! Maybe if you used your aggresive mentality towards addressing the city's issues by consulting public officials and holding them to a high standard then maybe we can get somewhere! Alot of people can waste energy and can complain and moan all day long ...but then you ask them how much of this energy have you used to address the situation with a intelligent approach......I will get no response. We must take a hard look in the mirror and ask our selves......How many schools have you been too in the bad areas? Are you voting and putting pressure on the Mayor and the police department to produce results? Do you know what is really going on in these bad areas and why is nothing really changing? Have you talked to people that live in these bad areas and actually have to deal with it everyday? I highly doubt they enjoy fearing for their life when they walk down the street...... Or are you on the outside looking in standing on your imaginary soap box pointing out the obvious and being negative b/c that is all you really know how to do!?!? Nothing is ever black and white but until you get off the internet and head to a youth center, voting booth, mayor's office, neighborhood watch program, then you really should not have anything to say.....and if you do do these things than I applaud and commend you! Actions Speak Louder Than Words! Especially on the Internet with no accountability of who you are!

14TheTruth2(9 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

@ Freeatlast

If I couldn't read then how would I respond;)

@Felo 72

Just to be honest, if you bring race into a issue as apart of your thought process/equation and input it into your solution than you most likely are racist..just sayin'...... but that is another issue that really doesn't matter b/c that is your right. This is a class war and everyone knows it in the back of there minds, race just gives most people something else to blame so they can avoid the pink elephant in the room.

Felo72, So you say you are against people sitting on their hands and waiting for a hand out right? What exactly have you done lately to address the issue besides make offensive comments and use your hands to type on a computer and complain? Wouldn't that be considered sitting on your hands and waitting on Goverment officials to do a near impossible job by them selves? So maybe we should stop by your house first before he head to the NorthSide, SouthSide and EastSide to start this Holocaust in Y-Town as you so wonderfully put it........right?;) It takes thee entire community to stand up and say enough is enough! I will say though that I do agree with your welfare idea, this is what we should be doing more of instead letting morons basically spread bigotry for a party, race or what ever there motives are......

15TheTruth2(9 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

@ censoredship

First off, I was not trying to imply that everyone that makes comments on this website is a thug, you are taking my comments out of context as I expected you to do when you started debating me. All I am saying is if you just sit around and cry about it and do nothing, and then go to public websites (like this one) and make offensive comments about people who are actually trying to do something about the situation then you really don't have anything to say......and obviously you are not one of those people by what you are claiming in your post. And like I said at the end of my comment: "and if you do do these things than I applaud and commend you!" We are not going to fix the problem by just locking people up, we have been doing this for years and it is doing nothing for us but draining more tax dollars out of our pockets. I am pretty sure that if some of these areas had more opportunities/Jobs to progress then the problem would basically fix it's self in theory. These kids come into life and there expectations are automatically low b/c of what they see and interact with every day, and this is by NO MEANS an excuse for low life criminals which deserve to be punished but sometimes good kids look at there choices and basically give up. Which is why I am all for having limits and guidelines to welfare so the parents can aim higher, but they still need to have the ability/opportunity to better them selfs otherwise you are making children suffer for no reason........IMO

16Freeatlast(1991 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

Truth Maybe you can read, but that means nothing if you can not see that people on this page do not just set at their computer . The facts are ,most Vote their hearts and beliefs , I know a lot that do do charity work every day . And some go to work and pay the taxes that at times seen to be wasted at times . So for you to call them thugs is pretty low. It is true that a lot of the people here have different belief and points of view and say things back and fore about their feeling but most if not all believe in their point of view and have that right .You have the right to your opinion but so do they .

17TheTruth2(9 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

@ Freeatlast

I am really hoping so, but you know and I know that this is far from the truth. Some people use these websites to promote bigotry so that they may influence the masses into a false truth. I try to give most people the benifit of the doubt but I am very disappointed at what I see in realility.

18dd933(223 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

When are you guys leaving for New Hampshire?

19Stan(9923 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

The subculture's respect for the law . . ..

20redvert(2042 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

It is a joke to listen to posters like "Truth" who are so offended by those of us that believe it is time for drastic measures. You are probably one of the leeches that continue to vote for the do nothing mayor and support the police chief. Next you suggest that we should contact our politicians and ask them to address the issue. Are you serious or are you deep down just trying to be funny.

"No one has the right to rob a 14 year old boy"! That is true but the mother should not of had her head up her rectum.

In the CNN video I have linked to below, the mayor and the police chief got their 15 minutes of fame. I am sure that after the 27 houses are torn down that all the crime will end. Ya right!

"When nothing changes, nothing changes"

21Lifes2Short(3875 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

truth

"I am pretty sure that if some of these areas had more opportunities/Jobs to progress then the problem would basically fix it's self in theory. These kids come into life and there expectations are automatically low b/c of what they see and interact with every day, and this is by NO MEANS an excuse for low life criminals which deserve to be punished but sometimes good kids look at there choices and basically give up."

They have all the opportunities in the world. How come some of the kids/families that are in these areas succeed and make something of there lives were others fail. Blame the system? Blame everyone else but themselves. It's all excuses, anybody can succeed if they want to, anybody. But they don't and it's not because they don't have the chance, it's because its the easy way out by robbing/killing/dealing. Its so tiring always hearing the same old thing, all they have to do is look in the mirror and want to be somebody instead of leading the thug life.

22TheTruth2(9 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

Okay listen, I was not born yesterday and I actually grew up in these areas. I have been all across the world three times over so I resent the notion of posters putting me in the catogory of naive! The facts are clear, and Lifes2Short you say they have all the opportunities in the world, really? I have been across the world and everyone else seems to get the picture that if you don't give people opportunities to succeed than this is the result you have. For your information most other countries has seen this and started to adapt! Our media just portrays this image b/c of who they work for but it is far from the truth! You can say you are tired of hearing the same old thing but where were you when the same old thing started??? Don't get me wrong, there are scum bags that want the easy way out but you would be surprised at the number pf people that want to do well but doesn't know the right people to get a decent job.

@ censoredship

I am just calling it like I see it! And who is they? Is that just a blanket statement? Do you believe all the people from these areas are drug dealers and love fearing for their life everyday? I think everybody needs to take a look and the mirror truthfully. And just like you I moved from Big City to Big City and I also work my butt off too! I am not trying to blame anybody for the ghetto's problem but don't sit there and tell me you can honestly go up to a kid on the southside and say "you can be the president one day" ....really? Come on man, the truth is the truth! Unless they know somebody, they are stuck and need to make miracles happen to change their situation. We all know you get a good job because of who you know......this is Ohio, their are no good jobs!

23TheTruth2(9 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

@ redvert

You are the joke b/c you obviously haven't read my posts and you seem to be formulating a opinion of me on ignorance b/c you are blinded by your motives! I am sick and tired as anyone of this violence/criminal crap! So when you think of a point, post something productive. If thats not too much to ask of for you........

24TheTruth2(9 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

@ censoredship

I will say I do comend your motive for helping out the needy. What you have gone through with the police is just a taste of what people that have been living in the bad areas have been going through for years. Hasn't it drove you to own a gun? I am a strong believer in gun licences, I have one my self! And like you if a low life decides to rob me, it will be his last!

25Lifes2Short(3875 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

truth2

"The facts are clear, and Lifes2Short you say they have all the opportunities in the world, really?"

Yes, they do, they have the choice to go to school, do they? When they do go to school, do they learn or get in fights? Graduate and get a grant to go to college, do they do that? Sports another avenue. Military. Community service or work a low level job, do they do that? I know kids that work 2/3 jobs and still go to college. How come they have the opportunity to better themselves? Tired of the excuses.

"I have been across the world and everyone else seems to get the picture that if you don't give people opportunities to succeed than this is the result you have."

I have been across the world numerous times in the US Navy. I seen different cultures, different lifestyles, and it's all the same, you have to want to succeed in life. Bottom line.

"You can say you are tired of hearing the same old thing but where were you when the same old thing started???"

It's all excuses, and where was I? I was trying to make something out of my life, from the military to college to work, and I had no help from no one. Matter of fact I was a single parent raising 2 girls doing that time. And I've been on the other side, I got out of prison 2 years ago, 10 month sentence, CRC - North Coast Correctional, for 4 dui's, did I make excuses for that? No, it was my fault and only my fault. Not blame society. I blew great opportunities but I still have a job with a felony (and it's far below what I'm use to making and below me, but I still put 100% into it, and no, I didn't know anyone. Plus I had 2 pay raises since.
I go to the county jail and area high schools to talk about drinking and driving and the criminal life, but it's kind of hard when your talking to a brick walls, there only there to get out of there cells or get out of class. But you know what, I still do it, because I'm trying to get the point across, quit making excuses, be accountable for your own actions and what you want to do in life.
Isn't it getting ridiculous when parents are burying there own kids?

26Lifes2Short(3875 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

truth2

"Don't get me wrong, there are scum bags that want the easy way out but you would be surprised at the number pf people that want to do well but doesn't know the right people to get a decent job."

See another excuse. That is part of the problem. Excuses.

How many young male adults do you see working in retail, fast food, restaurants, etc?? Work anywhere for now and build a reputation as a hard worker and people do move up or further there work history for the better. It happens more then you think.
How many do you see standing on a corner or hanging out in the streets or in front of a convenient store?
How many do you see driving pimped out cars with nice stereos and rims? Where do they get the money for that? You think they have a valid drivers license or insurance? Gas, how do they afford gas to cruise the streets, especially at $3 a gallon, I work and have a hard time keeping my gas tank full.
How many do you see wearing designer clothes and shoes? Again where do they get the money? The expensive jewelry and on and on. How many times you go to the store and see people buying big screen tvs and other stuff around the first of the month? Go to Walmarts,Target, Best Buy, etc at the 1st of the month and you'll see.
How many times do we hear about a robbery or a killing by a young male adult with a gun? Where do they get the money for the guns, drugs, etc.
You see, they have opportunities to live this kind of lifestyle so why can't they use that to live a honest one? It's not the lack of opportunities, it's the lack of being a honest law abiding human being.
And it's those that cause all the problems, not the ones that want to succeed, because they do succeed, you just don't hear about it.
That is why I say I'm so tired of excuses.

27Lifes2Short(3875 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

All these just in the last few days....and it's because they don't have opportunites for a different lifestyle. No quite. It's there choice.

3 face charges in chain-snatching outside Covelli

Police investigating South Side shooting that injures two

Theft at Brownlee Woods library branch

Boardman police searching for driveway robber

Robber takes presents of 3 small kids as they slept

3 men arraigned on robbery and other charges

Warrant issued for suspect in shooting

Gunfire follows attempted marijuana purchase

Teen boys charged with South Side burglary

28hvacguy(33 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

29woolyd(579 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

Arliss Casey Jr well what a surprise the apple doesnt fall from the tree and obviously he doesnt learn from the family past. Imsurpprised some of you havent mentioned that history. Father Arliss Casey Sr. Murdered, Uncle Waddell Casey Murdered. Now I wonder what road this kid will eventually travel down? I suspect murder victim by 2015. Sad sad no damn leaders for these kids.

30Stan(9923 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

It will be interesting to see how much criminal activity will recorded on Christmas Eve and on Christmas day in The Hood .

STUDYING THE FACTS . . ..

31davidjohn(144 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

why did the vindy eliminate the venerose comments

did they bother dellick

or hunter

or venerose

32madisoncolmon(3 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

BEFORE U GET TO DOGGIN THESE SOUTHSIDE RESIDENTS GET THESE BOYS SOME JOBS YOUNGSTOWN IS SO CHEAP I REMEMBER U COULD GO AROUND CUTTING GRASS EVEN TO GET SOME TYPE OF MONEY NOW U LOOK AND ITS PEOPLE IN ORANGE JUMP SUITS OUT THERE CUTTING GRASS SO THA CITY WONT HAVE TO PAY FOR IT AND AS FAR AS THE PERSON SAYIN THEY SHOULD TRY AND SHOOT UP ALL THA SIDES OF TOWN(NOT THE WEST THO) I DARE U TRY AND DO THAT AND IT WILL B ALOT OF MURDERS OUT HERE THESE YOUNG DUDES DONT CARE ABOUT NOTHING THA CITY AINT PUTTIN OUT JOBS OR IF THEY ARE THE ONLY WAY U CAN GET ONE IS IF U ARE LAID OFF FROM GM OR WHITE. I HAVE A HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA AND STILL IM JOB SEARCHING TO THIS DAY I WONT GO ROB NOBODY OR ANYTHING BUT WHO AM I U GET PEOPLE WHO FILL OUT APPLICATIONS ALL YEAR AND THERES NO WORK BLAME THIS BROKE A!! CITY FOR ALL THIS VIOLENCE

33Stan(9923 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

Tha SouthSide Boyz aint wantin no jobs ! They want to be cool and do their thing . Sleep all day and party all night is what they are good at . Crack sets tha mood and money never runs out as somebody always has some and is either willin to give or there is a killin .

3444509resident(45 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

Both were drug dealers ^

SMH @ stealing a "jesus" chain... wonder where they will go after death?

35southsidedave(4777 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

Bottom line; these are 3 dirtbags. Lock them up.