3 face charges in chain-snatching outside Covelli

By John W. Goodwin Jr.



Three men face multiple felony charges for alleged crimes that include snatching an $800 gold chain from the neck of a 14-year-old boy at a basketball game, and, for two of the men, a shooting on the South Side.

Joseph Solomon, 20, of Parkwood Avenue, Arliss Casey, 18, of Parkwood Avenue, and Devonte Housely, no age or address given, appeared Tuesday for arraignment before Judge Elizabeth Kobly of Youngstown Municipal Court.

Solomon was arrested at his home just before noon Monday. Casey and Housely were arrested a short time later in the 300 block of Plum Street.

Solomon is in Mahoning County jail on a $75,000 bond for robbery. Casey is in jail on a combined bond of $225,000 for robbery, felonious assault and improper handling of a firearm. Housely is jailed on a combined $300,000 bond for robbery, felonious assault, improper handling of a firearm and shooting into a habitation.

All three are scheduled to appear Tuesday before Judge Kobly for a preliminary hearing to determine if their cases will be heard by a grand jury.

Robbery charges against all three stem from an alleged attack and theft outside the Covelli Centre two weeks ago.

Tennille Reeder, 34, of Youngstown, said her 14-year-old son went to the Covelli Centre to watch a series of basketball games. She said the boy wanted to dress up for the event and left the house wearing a gold chain with a Jesus-charm valued at $800.

Reeder told police her son was standing outside the building after the games waiting for a ride when he was attacked by six young black males. She said her son was hit in the back of his head, and the gold chain was ripped from his neck.

Police say Solomon, Casey and Housely are responsible for the attack. Each of the men told the court he was indigent and requested court-appointed attorneys.

Legal issues for Housely and Casey run deeper than just the alleged attack and chain-snatching. They both face charges in a Dec. 15 incident where men shot up a South Side home and car, then ran from police.

Hance Dennis, 19, of Euclid Avenue, also charged in the shooting, already had been arrested. He is jailed on a $150,000 bond for felonious assault and failure to comply with the order of a police officer.

According to police reports, events leading to the shooting started just before 11:30 p.m. Dec. 15 at an East Ravenwood Avenue house. A 22-year-old woman and a 19-year-old man who lives at the address told police men had fired multiple shots at them as they sat in a car.

The man and woman told officers they had just arrived at the home and were about to pull into the driveway when they noticed the men standing in the driveway. The men, they told officers, opened fire on the car as they came to a stop in front of the house.

The man and woman told police they pulled away from the house but could see the men turn and begin firing at the house. The male victim told officers one of the shooters had an AK-47 assault rifle, and another man was shooting a handgun.

People inside the house told officers they heard loud gunfire outside the house. Police found five bullet holes in the car and a series of bullet holes in the outside of the house.

Dennis was arrested later after a short chase. Another man inside the car with him ran away.

Don't Miss a Story

Sign up for our newsletter to receive daily news directly in your inbox.