Authorities suspect suicide in death of Elkton prisoner

Published: Sat, December 11, 2010 @ 12:00 a.m.

By D.A. Wilkinson

wilkinson@vindy.com

ELKTON

The death of an inmate at the Federal Correctional Institution in Elkton is being treated as a possible suicide.

Edmund Ross, a spokesperson for the Federal Bureau of Prisons in Washington, D.C., said that David A. Goetzke, 44, was found dead Monday in his cell and was taken to a hospital, where he was pronounced.

A crime-scene investigation will be conducted, Ross added.

A spokesman from the Elkton facility did not return a call.

According to the bureau of prisons, the Elkton facility houses male offenders. The facility also has an adjacent satellite area that houses low- and minimum-security male offenders.

Goetzke entered the federal prison from the U.S. District of Montana on Dec. 15, 2009.

He was sentenced to 235 months on charges of coercion and enticement involving a young boy in a case that began in 2003.

Goetzke wrote a letter to the boy in 2004 that said, “I miss wrestling around with you. That was always fun. And giving you a back rub.”

He also said he was a homosexual and graphically described what he would like to do with the youth.

A federal jury found Goetzke guilty of attempting to persuade, induce, entice or coerce a minor boy to engage in unlawful sexual conduct.

Goetzke argued in an appeal that the evidence presented at the trial was insufficient to support a finding of guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit stated the facts were not in dispute.

According to federal records, Ross said, Goetzke entered the federal prison system in Milan, Mich. He later was transferred to Elkton.

“There are a number of reasons he entered the system there,” the Ross said. He said they could include better programs for the inmates or being closer to their homes.

Comments

1gomezstega(4 comments)posted 3 years, 8 months ago

How can you solve like these horrible crimes? Get a degree in Criminal Justice from "United Forensic College" search online.

2scotty1(4 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

I am a former inmate of the Elkton Federal Prison. That is the most corrupt govenment agency I have ever seen. The people running it are bigger criminals than the inmstes. They routinely violate inmates rights. They commited felonies rght in front of me and dared me to do something about it. They routnely open mail from inmates attorneys, violating the attorneyy/client privilage. I witnessed gurads being involved in gang activity and getting their bank accounts fatttened. A cigarette cost $10.00. A carton will set you back $500.00. Unbeieivably, the staff. guards and their property is not searched when they go in the prison to wrork. Allowing them to bring in contraban. I saw some of them bring duffle bags as lunch boxes, struffed with ciggaretttes, alcohol and drugs. They use the gangs to intimidate and beat other inmates. I would not be surprised if that is what happened to this guy. The guy must have had injuries that led them to say he was beaten to death. Then they changed thier story and said it was sucide. I guess they want us to believe he beat himself to death? This should be throughly investigated. No matter what the guy did he wasn't given the death penalty.

3scotty1(4 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

I am a former inmate of the Elkton Federal Prison. That is the most corrupt govenment agency I have ever seen. The people running it are bigger criminals than the inmates. They routinely violate inmates rights. They commited felonies rght in front of me and dared me to do something about it. They routnely open mail from inmates attorneys, violating the attorneyy/client privilage. I witnessed guards being involved in gang activity and getting their bank accounts fatttened. A cigarette cost $10.00. A carton will set you back $500.00. Unbeieivably, the staff, guards and their property is not subject to being searched when they go in the prison to work. That makes it easy fo them to bring in contraban. I saw some of them bring duffle bags as lunch boxes, struffed with cigaretttes, alcohol and drugs. They use the gangs to intimidate and beat other inmates. I would not be surprised if that is what happened to this guy. The guy must have had injuries that led them to say he was beaten to death. Then they changed thier story and said it was sucide. I guess they want us to believe he beat himself to death? This should be throughly investigated. No matter what the guy did he wasn't given the death penalty.

4scotty1(4 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

I am a former inmate of the Elkton Federal Prison. That is the most corrupt govenment agency I have ever seen. The people running it are bigger criminals than the inmates. They routinely violate inmates rights. They commited felonies rght in front of me and dared me to do something about it. They routnely open mail from inmates attorneys, violating the attorneyy/client privilage. I witnessed guards being involved in gang activity and getting their bank accounts fattened. A cigarette cost $10.00. A carton will set you back $500.00. Unbeieivably, the staff, guards and their property is not subject to being searched when they go in the prison to work. That makes it easy fo them to bring in contraban. I saw some of them bring duffle bags as lunch boxes, struffed with cigaretttes, alcohol and drugs. They use the gangs to intimidate and beat other inmates. I would not be surprised if that is what happened to this guy. The guy must have had injuries that led them to say he was beaten to death. Then they changed thier story and said it was sucide. I guess they want us to believe he beat himself to death? This should be throughly investigated. No matter what the guy did he wasn't given the death penalty.

5scotty1(4 comments)posted 3 years, 7 months ago

I am a former inmate of the Elkton Federal Prison. That is the most corrupt govenment agency I have ever seen. The people running it are bigger criminals than the inmates. They routinely violate inmates rights. They commited felonies rght in front of me and dared me to do something about it. They routnely open mail from inmates attorneys, violating the attorneyy/client privilage. I witnessed guards being involved in gang activity and getting their bank accounts fattened. A cigarette cost $10.00. A carton will set you back $500.00. Unbeivably, the staff, guards and their property is not subject to being searched when they go in the prison to work. That makes it easy fo them to bring in contraban. I saw some of them bring duffle bags as lunch boxes, struffed with cigaretttes, alcohol and drugs. They use the gangs to intimidate and beat other inmates. I would not be surprised if that is what happened to this guy. The guy must have had injuries that led them to say he was beaten to death. Then they changed thier story and said it was sucide. I guess they want us to believe he beat himself to death? This should be throughly investigated. No matter what the guy did he wasn't given the death penalty.