McNally expects up-or-down vote on CSB raises

Published: Fri, December 3, 2010 @ 12:10 a.m.

photo

Mahoning County Commissioner John McNally

photo

Mahoning County Commissioner Anthony Traficanti

photo

Dave Ludt

By Peter H. Milliken

milliken@vindy.com

YOUNGSTOWN

Mahoning County Commissioner John A. McNally IV said he expects the commissioners to vote the proposed 3 percent annual pay raises for the county’s unionized Children Services Board workers up or down before the Dec. 17 action deadline.

He said, however, he is undecided as to how he will vote.

The commissioners have two more scheduled meetings — Thursday and Dec. 16 — before the deadline. If Dec. 17 comes and goes, and the commissioners do nothing, the raises automatically take effect.

The other two commissioners had spoken previously against the raises.

Anthony T. Traficanti, chairman of the commissioners, called them “unconscionable” under current economic conditions.

Commissioner David N. Ludt called for a county wage freeze and said it would be unfair to give the raises.

After meeting with CSB members Wednesday, McNally said Thursday he understands that board’s rationale for the raises. “Quite frankly, I don’t find the raises or the issue to be unconscionable,” he said.

“That’s a well-run agency, financially,” McNally said, adding that funds are available to cover the pay increases.

“I haven’t made up my mind one way or another,” McNally said about how he will vote.

McNally said he hopes the commissioners will take a definite yes or no vote on the matter before Dec. 17. “I think it’s fair and appropriate that the public hear from the commissioners in terms of a yes or a no vote,” he said.

The raises were contained in a three-year contract CSB negotiated with the Communications Workers of America, which took effect Feb. 1, 2009.

The increases were never granted to the 115 bargaining-unit members because the commissioners approved the contract, but with a salary freeze. The union recently asked that the raises be revisited, and CSB approved them Nov. 16 and sent the matter to the commissioners.

CSB officials said the raises are designed to help the child-welfare agency retain its staff members, whose starting salary is lower than that of their colleagues in neighboring counties. Mahoning CSB social workers earn about $32,000 a year.

CSB voted to grant the raises just two weeks after voters renewed by a 2-1 margin a countywide, 0.85-mill, five-year real-estate tax that generates $1.75 million annually to support the child-welfare agency.

Also, the commissioners unanimously recognized Bert Cene, director of the Mahoning and Columbiana Training Association, whose business-outreach team earned the 2010 Ohio One-Stop business services team of the year award.

Comments

1UnionForever(1470 comments)posted 4 years ago

Commisioners: NO NO NO - anything else would be an afront to the citizens of Mahoning County who voted for the CSB levy.

2BROWNSBABY(12 comments)posted 4 years ago

I am in favor of these raises. It's important we support our public employees including social workers, police, teachers, etc. They really have difficult jobs to do and I refuse to thumb my nose at someone getting a raise just because of the economy. If they have budgeting for it and can afford it, then I'm for it. It doesn't change the money coming out of my pocket one bit because it wasn't a new levy. Tax statement remains the same.

3PhilMcCrackin(58 comments)posted 4 years ago

I'm in favor of them too. Those who are not have no idea of what they are talking about. I wish the press would just shut up about it.This isn't up for public vote.

4Wakeup722(37 comments)posted 4 years ago

Unionforever...as your screen says, are you active in a labor union? Is so, do you realize that all faithful union members should be supporting their local brothers and sisters?

5grand4dad(197 comments)posted 4 years ago

I support these raises too. They are not out of line and the CSB has demonstrated that it is fiscally responsible in its operation. I do NOT support the notion that no one deserves a raise "because of the economy". How will the economy ever get better if no one ever gets a raise? Who do you think will stimilate the econmy if no one ever has the money to go out and buy things? These workers are not bigwigs earning huge salaries or getting outrageous bonuses (like at YSU), they are the average worker just trying to earn a living. I'm sick of all this undeserved negative attention on this group of employees.

6walter_sobchak(1979 comments)posted 4 years ago

grand4dad,

You are right! In fact, I'm going to see my boss this afternoon and I'm going to clue him in on this reasoning. I'm going to tell him that he has been the problem these last two years, since it has been longer than that since I received a raise. If he would have been giving me 5% raises each year, we would not have had to lay off our labor force and shutter one whole shop. OMG, how could he not see that! I guess just because he thought our receipts were not keeping up with our expenditures, he felt the right thing to do was cut expenses. He should have been handing out raises though! I have no idea how my boss ever got to be so successful using such poor business logic!

Mark it zero!

7AKAFR1(322 comments)posted 4 years ago

PhilMcCracken, it is a public vote when the public pays their salaries.

CONTACT THE COMMISSIONERS AND ASK THEM TO VOTE NO.

Main Phone: 330-740-2130

Fax: 330-740-2006

Email: emailthecommissioners@mahoningcountyo...

8Wakeup722(37 comments)posted 4 years ago

Db2...this was not an emergency levy, it was a renewal. There is a big difference. And these raises were approved almost three yrs ago but it was agreed there would be a pay freeze. The union started the negotiations in September (two months before the nov election). The timing may have been off, but these people deserve these rAises. A tax renewal means property taxes will NOT be raised. CSB operates on their own levy, not thru the general fund. I am pretty sure that if it was you that was being denied a raise, you would want it.

9stewie(109 comments)posted 4 years ago

When I voted for this levy , it was to keep the dept. open and employees working. I see now their focus was on getting a raise. Times are bad right now , we have to learn to make do with what we have. I'm on a fixed income, i don't have any raises coming my way anytime soon. they should consider themselves lucky to have jobs !

10faith(200 comments)posted 4 years ago

FYI, unionforever is a union hater.

11PhilMcCrackin(58 comments)posted 4 years ago

How about people getting their facts straight before commenting. I'm sure the general public is much more informed than a lot of people on here so I don't take much into account with what I read here.
AKAFR1 it is NOT a public vote on this issue. You can run it through whatever gambit you want to call it that. Let me ask you this. If it gets voted down, where do you think the money will go? I'll bet it doesn't get past the commissioners.

12Wakeup722(37 comments)posted 4 years ago

Faith... Thanks for the FYI that unionforever is a union hater. That would explain their lack of respect and ignorance for unions.

13HaydenThomas(208 comments)posted 4 years ago

The funny part of some of the responses advocating for the raises is the same reason public entities are bankrupt. The thinking that if the money is there, it should be spent. Every last penny. Heck with saving for the rainy day or building a cushion for later unforeseen needs. The problem with the public sector unions is they think they deserve every last dollar. The day of reckoning is near. States are bankrupt and the Feds are going to quit sending money to the states to cover up the state deficits. Time to buckle up the profligate spending. New Jersey is getting ahead of the curve. Layoffs in the public sector are going to be the norm. Raises granted in that environment are unconscionable.

14catlover(17 comments)posted 4 years ago

This post is for Walter Sobchak. I'm sick of your condescending remarks don't you have anything else better to do than to post your smart ars remarks. First of all the CSB employess have been working at a pay freeze and they asked their contract to be revisted only asking for the 3% they were promised from the commisioners not 5% as you so smartly addressed Grand4dad.

First off you say you are employed and working for a paycheck but yet you deny the hardworking employees of the CSB a raise they have been already promised. You must know what it's like to work for the same amount of money with all costs going up except your pay. Doesn't feel to good does it. You want to mad and condescending to someone maybe you should look at the entitlement programs instead of someone honestly working for their money.

I can personally tell you that's what I'm mad about all those entitlements given out. PIP who pays for utilities to those who don't work or are low income. Guess what Walter I just talked to a guy the other day who is on the PIP program and he told me he keeps his thermostat on 96 degrees. NICE I'm sitting here with mine on 68 because I not only have to pay for mine but his too. How about the the CSB workers who want to send their kids to college? They can't because they make too much money but that same guy who keeps his heat on 96 (the one we are paying for) can send his kids free. OH NO that's right we are paying for that too. I could go on and on about the entitlement programs and maybe I will. I just wish I could sit across the table for you and debate this issue. You don't have a clue. give those employees that raise. It's not costing us anything more than what we've been paying. Call it a freeze on our payments. If you want to be mad, fine but be mad at those who work the system, sit on the arses, collect their food stamps (which they sell for drugs), get free medical, rent a section 8 home and pay $11.00 a month rent while the government pays for it. OH YEAH Walter guess who the government is you, me and the CSB workers that's who. Are all people on entitlements low life and working the system. NO, NO, NO but a good portion of them are and that's who I"m mad at not some employee who works extremely hard at their job and is only asking for something they were promised back in 2009. Get a grip Walter if you are who you really are (a hard working citizen) then save your sarcastic remarks for someone who deserves them. Good day Walter. Think before you write.

15northsideperson(365 comments)posted 4 years ago

This one's a tough call, if they're underpaid and will potentially be poached by another county after they're trained.

16catlover(17 comments)posted 4 years ago

Hello HaydenThomas I see you're so interested in the public sector going bankrupt maybe you should read www.buckeyeinstitute.org it gives you the names of all city, state, and federal salaries.

Look at Jimmy Hughes he is going to retire for a day and be rehired. Humm good way to save money, pay him his retirement and also his wages. Did you know a lot of school employees do that? Speaking of teachers I know I should have gone into education. Talk about pays wow I'd like to make that kind of money and have my summers off to work at another job. I know a lot of firemen who have other jobs. They work one day off two. Not bad. Don't get me wrong I appreciate their dedication and hard work but I'm just trying to show you the difference in the payscale that CSB social workers are paid and what other government employees are paid. Look at our Commissioners WOW $70,000 for a part-time job. That's not counting their other incomes. Oh yeah those government employees don't work 2080 hours a year like CSB employees.
Where were all you nay sayers when the teachers, MRDD employees, county Engineers get their raises? Why is this getting so much coverage? I wouldn't look to the Vindicator for my education because they never could get their facts straight. They publish articles before they even check out the facts and they never retract their erroneous mistakes.

I think they should allow the CSB workers to work one day off two,or maybe they can have the summers off to recoop a little R and R and the ones who have in enough time they can retire, collect their retirment and be rehired that way they can have experienced social workers taking care of the abused, neglected or thrown away children of the Mahoning County. Maybe you could have a few live with you during the summer that way we can save money so our county doesn't go banbkrupt. Good idea? Sound good to you Hayden? No I think it's more like unconscionable that our commisioners get $70,000 for a part-time job and our teachers are paid an average of $60,000 for a 7 month job and always get a raise because if they don't Goodness forbid they go on strike and who suffers? Maybe if the police and firemen don't get their levies passed they can release some prisoners or let the house burn down. They got you by the gonads and it's either give into them or suffer the consequences. Don't be so cruel those abused, neglected and throw away children need your help as the others do. Allow these conscientious, hard working. dedicated employees get what they were promised. Scream about the gigantic pays a part-time employee gets.

Please I do not mean to offend police and firemen they work hard, deserve their pay and you put your life on the line but so do social workers working at Children Services Board. I posted once how many social workers died in the line of duty. I'm just comparing salaries that's all I'm not here to denigrate your job.

17taliwacker(54 comments)posted 4 years ago

Hey catlover, I was promised a pay raise 4 years ago. I still have not seen it. still working for the same pay for 6 years. I should ask the people for a levy, so i can get a raise too.
If no one's COLA in the whole country has not been increased in the passed 3 years. What just cause they work for the government we are suppose to let it go?? You people keep voting to give them money, cause they only use it to insulate there pockets. Not just the CSB. All of these elected and government appointed crooks. Just ask Boardman, where the tax money when to, that was granted to them in 2008, for more police. That levy was suppose to hire 10 new police officers. Here we are 2 years later, with two new officers. Now they ask for more money for the other 8.
I would love for you guys to pay me to do the mathematical figuring for the cities and towns in this valley. My 1st grad child could do better math than these people who wasted 4, and 6 years of higher education, to no be able to add correctly. But hey, i got a high school education, and I can use a higher paying job.

18ojanet22(134 comments)posted 4 years ago

Catlover, you must not know any teachers if you believe that they have cushy, well-paying jobs. Furthermore, you should be glad you didn't go into the education field. It's glutted with retire-rehire double dippers. It took my daughter 4 years to find a teaching job because of this. No wonder the young people are leaving this area in droves!
As far as the raises for the CSB social workers, they too are underpaid. $32,000.00 per year is a pittance for a job like that.

19PhilMcCrackin(58 comments)posted 4 years ago

Seems like the only reason people here are against the pay raise is because if they don't get one,then nobody should get one.

20catlover(17 comments)posted 4 years ago

ojanet you just proved my point. Yes, I do know a lot of teachers many friends and family are teachers that is why I spoke of them. Yes I do beleive they are overpaid for 7 months work and I never said they have cushy jobs just well paying jobs for the hours they work.

No wonder your daughter had trouble finding a job with the retire/rehire policy. That was exactly my point. If the government really wants to save money once one retires do just that do not rehire give the job to someone new. That will help stimulate the economy. I am glad that you see that the social workers for CSB are underpaid that's more than taliwacker but he only has a high school education. If he wants more of a paycheck, he should go to YSU and get an education maybe he could go for free if he doesn't make much money. OH YEAH it's not free we'll pay for it that's what the taxpayer should be ticked about.

When I went to college there was an ex-convict and another felon in the Criminal Justise program getting their education for free on the taxpayer. I wonder who would hire them? Would you want two felons on the police roles? That's where all the waste goes not on a dedicated people who are contributing to the community.

21RubyGirl(22 comments)posted 4 years ago

Last time I checked, the school year is 9 months long and teachers start before the kids and end after the kids do.

22meatballfromboardman(5 comments)posted 4 years ago

TO everyone let me let you all school system sucks know matter where your send your child. I for one gave up everything for my family first of all took care od my parents who where sick at that time, also took care of T^WO GRAND- DAUGHTERS at the same time my husband work two jobs so I could care for them between doctors app and baby app. didn"t know if I was coming or going. People sometimes make fun of me because I took care of my parents and grand-daughters .People have to come to reailty of how to live with in there means.MY kids ask me every day for money I give them what I could afford and tell them this is what I'm given and this is what I have to live with;and make do.

23Bigben(1996 comments)posted 4 years ago

Anyone who would say anything negative about Youngstown firefighters who risk there lives through running into burning buildings when others are running out is at the least misinformed. They are on call 24 hours day or night not 8 hours.So if the bell hits at 3;00 in the morning your rear end is out into the cold in a hurry. I know my dad served 30 years in the city.

As for teachers rehire and retire is flawed agreed. However, again anyone one who spends 5 days a week with 25 kids per class does not have a cushy job. Teachers must now be licensed have masters degrees and continue going to school as long as they teach. I don't think social workers have to do that. Oh yes and they pay for that continuing education even if they already have a masters degree. Rules made by Washington jokers who never taught a day in their lives.If people thought before they spoke.

24Bigben(1996 comments)posted 4 years ago

I don't think felons get hired on the police force. I know teachers don't .There are FBI and BCI background checks . As for the gentleman who was going to school after getting out of prison-good for him. I hope he makes something of himself. Isn't that what we want for people to turn their lives around or would we want them to continue lives of crime.

Anyone who thinks being poor is wonderful with so many great perks. Quit your job tomorrow someone else will take it. Then you can loose your home and go live the great life on welfare then your kids can go to college and you can heat your awesome section 8 housing at 96 degrees.That heat assistance won't last long at 96 degrees. No one is stopping you from doing that. Go for it.Again if folks just thought first.

25lovedrama(138 comments)posted 4 years ago

I support the hard workers at CSB, and I believe that if anyone were promised a raise and didn't get it, they too would be pi$$ed. I like your points catlover. What would happen if the social workers and other CSB employees went on strike? would nobody care about these children and babies? I personally know of a convicted felon, who got his master's degree paid for ( along with his house, medical and meals) and now works at the health dept. of Youngstown. And yes, social workers pay for CEU's and are required to take so many-not sure how many-and need a master's for a better job than these $hit ones at CSB!

26catlover(17 comments)posted 4 years ago

Sorry I offended some teachers. I stand corrected they work like 8 months out of the year once you take into consideration the spring break, Christmas holiday, federal holiday such as president's day, Martin Luther King day, etc, etc, etc. If you count their hours put in and their pay, they make triple what a social worker gets. As lovedrama said many of the CSB workers have masters degrees.

If I offended any firemen, I apologize I never said their job was easy in fact I said they are hard working individuals.
They do work 24 hours and are off 48 hours and yes if the bell rings at 3 AM off they go but so do caseworkers go when their pager buzzes many times at 3 AM. My point was the hours worked in accordance with their pay is far greater than CSB workers.

My point about the felons getting their degrees in the criminal justice seems a waste of taxpayers money because who in their right mind would hire them in any police force or criminal justice system? Why not get a degree in something that would benefit them? Then it wouldn't be a waste of taxpayer's money.

I stand by my posting about the entitlement programs. There is a good majority out there who work the system. They live off the backs of those who do work. There are makers and takers sorry if you don't see that but that's a fact of life.

27coupie(21 comments)posted 4 years ago

whoever earlier was talking about firefighters, they have a hard job to do. God bless these public employees.

social workers too have the same dilemna. if the Sh*T hits the fan at 3am on one of my cases, I have to roll out the bed and leave my own children behind and go out and afress the situation..

28Bigben(1996 comments)posted 4 years ago

There aren't enough jobs for folks with college degrees right now and there are certainly not enough jobs to employ all the folks who need them in the Mahoning Valley.We have a job shortage not a job surplus.Some work the system yes but the system is there in large part to prevent folks from rioting in the streets.

People should worry right now about their pension plans rather than raises. The common enemy to all of us is the international banking cartel and the Wall Street folks .What good is a raise by comparison if they steal 2/3s of your retirement?

They created the housing debacle and they have engineered the stock market to steal private pensions and now they are fixing to steal the public worker's pensions. They are the ones who pull our fake politicians strings.They are the ones who determine that our money is to be worthless by printing so much of it that it causes inflation. These are the real enemies.
They are also the ones who removed our nation from the gold standard to funny money .That won't be published in the school text books.
Teachers -They don't have a choice on a masters degree it is a must. But they must go back beyond that as long as they teach.Planning lessons also takes time as does grading work and contacting parents.
Depending on where you teach parental contact can be difficult to achieve.

Apology accepted.
I thought case workers spent most of their day meeting with clients in the building on the south side.I wouldn't deny anyone a raise who would deserve it because I realize that people who make more pay more taxes with the exception of the uber rich . That is why all the service sector minimum wage jobs that have grown over recent years have crushed our tax base. The higher paying jobs for the most part are gone.The greedy multinational corporations made sure free trade was firmly established.It is time we blame who is really responsible for the mess this nation is in and it isn't the little guys.Remember who got bailed out.Federal Reserve, multinational corps, Wall Street , sell out politicians and us for allowing it. They want us playing the blame game on each other -divide and conquer.

Not only are there not enough jobs in the system because the money is fake backed by nothing and lent out as debt as interest , there isn't enough money in the system to pay off the debt.It is called bondage or slavery. As mentioned if the Fed which isn't Federal at all but a private bank prints more debt money it devalues what is already in circulation. So they created a catch 22 that exists due to funny money .I don't blame folks for not knowing this because is isn't taught in schools but once you are aware of it you can better understand why things have happened as they have.

29Wakeup722(37 comments)posted 4 years ago

Bigben... First off thank God for firefighters like your father. I know they have a very tough and dangerous job and I would not want to be in their shoes. I think what catlover was trying to point out was that Csb workers also have a tough and dangerous job. Caseworkers have to go all over the county to homes. The clients do not come to the office. Csb investigates cases of physical neglect (dirty homes, no food, deporable conditions), abuse both physical and neglect. They have to make assessments and decisions most of the time on their own that would affect the family. These caseworkers are like cops with no guns or badges. They go into alot of the crime infested areas and most likely fear for their own safety. Those workers love the children they work with. Most of them work past 40 hours a week that they get paid for. Most miss time with their families and friends because they have to go out on a case. Alot of sporting events And family dinners are missed also. Most of the public does not have a clue what Csb even does and they want to harshly criticize them when they are a well rounded and financially sound And budget there money wisely. To deny these workers their raises would be wrong.

30Bigben(1996 comments)posted 4 years ago

Wakeup dad retired 26 years ago after being injured on the job. They tried to cheat him out of his disability . My family went through hard times during those years .We were denied welfare. He was on just before scot air packs and breathed a lot of very bad fumes. The air packs came around later. I have heard the stories of these guys when the bell goes off letting you know your out of air and you can't see anything then a floor gives out. They see burning babies and have to calm mothers and tell people they will make it when they are dying.

Many were shot at and had rocks and bottles thrown at them in the 60s during the riots. Many drop dead on the job from heart attacks .Stress heavy gear up stair cases dragging hoses ect.Many times there families get cheated .Most don't live long lives. I wouldn't want others to have to go through what we did.

I worked in the inner city school system for several years at the high school level . I have seen a lot and it was a dangerous job too. There were guns ect. Teachers get threatened ect.So when I speak I speak from experience as well. I know it is hard to make a difference when the folks you are trying to help think you are the enemy.

I understand your point.I was just wondering about the case workers who stay at the south side building and sit down with clients .Do these workers have to go out as well. I was just wondering because I really didn't know about that.

The poor people must have jobs these days to collect welfare as far as I know. You see a lot of minority kids working fast food these days .I wouldn't begrudge those people food either. But then again I am a Christian. Any social worker who is jealous of their clients lifestyle has options. If your working be thankful your working ,these are very hard times and watch out for the thieves who want your pensions.

The only thing I would say about the raise is if it was put to the voters that it was suppose to be for keeping people working down there and that is not the case then that would seem misleading to me even if they have the raise coming. I would rather things be presented honestly. I think that is why many here might have been upset about it .I can't speak for them though. Any way I hope it all works out for the best.
Thanks for the kind words and info Wakeup.

31Bigben(1996 comments)posted 4 years ago

Cat lover many have masters degrees doesn't compare with one must have a masters degree. Then teachers must continue their education beyond that as long as they teach . There is no choice it is mandatory.
I forgot to mention I was a long term sub in the city .

I think I have addressed your other points.
As to the felon I think it is awesome if that person was able to turn things around for themselves goodness that is the goal. I would think social workers and Christians alike would be happy about that. I know I wouldn't want to be judged at my worst because I haven't lived a perfect life. If there is no hope of redemption we are all in trouble.

32Wakeup722(37 comments)posted 4 years ago

Bigben..that's a shame about them trying to cheat your dad out of his pension. After fighting fires for 26 yrs he sure deserves more than that. Being a teacher in Youngstown I bet had some rewards and downfalls.

Csb moved from the southside 5 yrs ago. They are now located downtown. The social workers are required to meet with their clients at their homes, not in the office. Some have to be visited once or twice a month. It is not a safe job. As for the levy, it was a renewal. The levies are used for operating expenses like for the care placement of children. Csb also gets federal and state monies. The raises were approved with a pay freeze 3 yrs ago.

33walter_sobchak(1979 comments)posted 4 years ago

catlover,

I do think before I write and I know that everything that you list in your post comes out of my pocket! The bloated govt. machine has seen in last days. Look at how bankrupt the big states are and Ohio is fast approaching them. I begrudge no one an honest raise, but, unless you haven't heard or read in all the newspapers, there is a deep recession on and govt. has to shrink. That is either going to mean less pay per person in CSB or less workers. Take a pick. That is what the private entities are doing, more with less. If and when things straighten out, my hard work should get me a raise, if my copmpany is still in business. But, people that work for the govt know they will have their positions for it seems like they never reduce govt jobs.

Please, don't question how hard I work. I am on salary and haven't worked a 40 hour week in twenty years. I pay into my own IRA and work extra. And, you probably won't believe me but my thermostat is set at 67! My remarks may be sarcastic, which I really don't care if they bother you, but they are not truly condescending. But, I am the taxpayer and I have a right to get pi$$ed off when I see the way money is wasted.

34Bigben(1996 comments)posted 4 years ago

Wakeup yes the city was both challenging and rewarding. The teachers were great.
Thanks again for the info and for communicating to me in a civil fashion.

35coupie(21 comments)posted 4 years ago

Walter,
I may agree there are a lot of cushy gov't jobs out there, so you do have the right to be pi$$ed off when you see money wasted. But I wish you truly could see CSB is not one that is wasting the money, and the levy had ABSOLUTELY nothing with giving a raise. The raises were approved nearly 3 years ago, but agreed to a pay freeze due to the economy. CSB has meticulously managed their $ in a frugal manner and cut two top executive positions that afforded not only to give the raises, but also hire a few more people who need jobs. Some people think $32,000 is all that, but our health care keeps going up, everything is going up but our paychecks. We continue to work WAY beyond what we're paid for because we do care about our families. I could see if we were averaging a lot more. We're not like the police who get massive overtime and can get all these side job. All we have is our $32,000 with no hope of a raise thanks to the biased media who are trying to turn this into something that it never was. And if anyone thinks you can go out and hire just anyone to do our job and pay them less, you are sadly mistaken.

36LtMacGowan(668 comments)posted 4 years ago

We complain about the poor quality of governmental services around here, yet we repeatedly vote down levies, tax increases, and go rabid over pay raises for government sector works.

Look if you want quality work you have to pay people for it. C.S.B. performs a vital function in protecting our children. I for one would want the best quality performance from them, but how are you going to get it if we continue to pay them substandard wages.