4,000 jobless in Valley still in limbo

Published: Thu, December 2, 2010 @ 12:10 a.m.

Trumbull County

November 2010: 7,620

December 2010: 108,059

January 2011: 66,558

Total: 306,293

Source: Ohio Department of Jobs and Family Services/Office of

Unemployment Compensation

Congress fails to reach agreement on extension of benefits

By Grace Wyler

gwyler@vindy.com

YOUNGSTOWN

More than 4,000 people in the Mahoning Valley are projected to exhaust their unemployment benefits this month if Congress does not approve legislation to extend unemployment compensation before the holiday recess.

Ohio’s extended-benefits program, which is federally funded, is set to end Saturday.

Federal emergency unemployment benefits began to expire Wednesday after the Senate failed to approve a one-year emergency extension of unemployment benefits Tuesday night.

About 2 million unemployed people are expected to lose their benefits by Christmas if no extension is approved, according to U.S. Labor Department estimates.

Senate Republicans, as well as a handful of Democrats, have opposed extending benefits unless their cost is offset by cuts in the budget.

In a conference call with reporters Wednesday, U.S. Sen. Sherrod Brown, who supports benefit extensions, accused Republicans of playing politics with middle-class livelihoods.

“It is a difficult time for so, so many people,” Brown said. “It’s really ‘Bah Humbug’ that Republicans are saying to Ohioans who just want to catch a break in the next six weeks.”

Nearly 88,500 of Ohio’s unemployed are at risk for losing their emergency benefits if an extension does not pass, Brown said.

Overall, 108,059 Ohioans are expected to exhaust unemployment benefits in December, up from 7,620 in November, according to the latest estimates from the state’s Department of Jobs and Family Services.

Without additional federal legislation, regular unemployment-compensation claimants who exhausted their benefits after Nov. 20 are not eligible for the most recent emergency unemployment-compensation program, which was passed in July.

Those receiving emergency benefits are no longer eligible for the next tier of benefits as of Nov. 27 but will continue to receive checks for the remaining weeks of their current tier, according to OJFS. The program will be phased out completely by April.

Locally, 2,009 unemployed Trumbull County residents are expected to exhaust their benefits this month, giving the county the 11th-highest number of unemployment exhaustees in the state, according to JFS. Mahoning County follows at No. 12, with 1,952 people projected to run out of their unemployment benefits in December.

In Columbiana County, 855 unemployed people will exhaust unemployment compensation this month. Columbiana ranks 27th among Ohio’s 88 counties.

The end of unemployment aid to so many people is likely to have an impact on the local economy, said Benjamin Turner, an administrator for Trumbull County One-Stop.

“When they cut the unemployment benefits, they take out a lifeline that people are using to pay their mortgages, buy food,” he said. “These people are going to be looking for other sources of assistance.”

The large rise in the number of people with limited income is expected to increase the burden on the area’s social services and charities, said Turner, who also works with the Trumbull County JFS.

“I think a lot of people are still assessing the services,” he said. “We will start seeing waves in the next week or two.”

The depressed local job market likely will be exacerbated by the negative effects of major unemployment-insurance cuts, said Bert Cene, director of the Mahoning Columbiana Training Association, which oversees work-force development in the two counties.

“Obviously there are going to be a lot of people that are impacted by this,” Cene said. “Everybody is gearing up for this, assuming people are going to be losing the only revenue they have coming in.”

Comments

1unhappyvoter1(87 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

above comment, why don't you get motivated! THERE ARE NOT ENOUGH JOBS, AND YOU NEED TO KNOW SOMEBODY OR BE RELATED TO THE PERSON HIRING TO GET A JOB. don't know where your living at but please get into the real world. show a little bit of compassion for people who have lost their job that they worked at for months or many many years...................someday it may be you and the way its going we might all be in knee deep trouble shortly because we all make the world turn. merry christmas humbug

2UnionForever(1470 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

Sitting on the couch for 99 weeks collecting $300 Big Ones has made these unemployed people lazy. They quit looking for work and just stayed on their couches playing video games and such. The bigger issue is fixing the economy so that private sector capitalism creates jobs for the unemployed. That won't happen until the economy balanced with tax reductions and spending cuts to end the Big Government programs that caused the deficit. It's a circle of life and it is now time for the unemployed to sacrifice to fix it.

3Photoman(1004 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

In casual conversation a few months back a man told me he had been unemployed for two years. I told him where he could find a job that would pay about $15 per hour. His response was, "I won't work for less than $20 per hour." So typical of many who have been on prolonged unemployment. Guess what? He's still unemployed because of his lack of pride and vision toward the future.

4TeresaB(82 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

As much as a hate to say this, I agree they should be left exhausted.

5bluehouse(9 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

db2, I'll work for $12.00 an hour. I have sales and demonstrator skills. Seriously $12 is a good wage for this area.

6Freeatlast(1991 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

I do not know , but do you not have to prove you went out and looked for a job and prove it to get unemployment?
I remember my farther was unemployed at times when I was a kid and he had to show that he went to 5 or 6 places a week looking for a job . He would say it was harder then working . Did things change ??? It was also the rule that he had to take any job that would pay some % of what he got at his last job . Maybe we should go back to those days .

7DJ0(72 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

...way too many expect a job that pays at least what they were making when they were let go. Hmmm... maybe they were overpaid at that job too! Get off the couch, beat the bushes and take anything to get back in the workforce and off the dole we are all paying for! Too many with unreal expectations out there. Cigarettes, beer, premium cable, cell phones, dining out, latest fashions.... not one is a necessity. LIve with it.

8Morrigan(83 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

I'm losing my job in 3 1/2 months. I've updated the resume and sent out about 15 so far. I'm taking classes to make myself more employable and networking like crazy with everyone I know. The thought of being on unemployment terrifies me and I refuse to let it happen. When I lost a job due to the business closing years ago, I waited tables and bartended until I found something else; never went on unemployment, even though I was eligible, all while being a single parent. I feel badly for those who have no other options, though...There just aren't enough jobs to go around.

9cambridge(3013 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

No worries. As soon as the top 2% get a trillion dollar tax cut that will go directly to the debt new jobs will be created just like last time. Everybody, "Happy Days Are Here Again....!"

10TeresaB(82 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

peacelover:
Many years ago, I did as Morigan did, when my position was eliminated. I worked one waitressing job and one bar tending job and yes I was easily able to pay the bills. I believe in short-term unemployment coverage, but 2 years.... No way... Time to stop the gravy train. As others have mentioned they could have taken schooling, updated skills, networked, etc....

11southsidedave(4780 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

I agree with db2:

unemployment and repeated extensions are just another form of welfare.

Go back to school, get additional training, and become a productive member of society.

12joebag09(251 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

Everyone has an answer to this problem.... some of you should be running for office. Try losing your job ....twice....after turning 50+. Starting a "new" career is OK, but what and where? I know it isn't impossible, but it's not that easy, especially after having worked in or around the same type of work for 30+ years. The bills don't change when you've suddenly become unemployed, so you've got to try to make something similar. What kind of job? Do you go somewhere you'll hate, only for a paycheck. It's not simple and it's not about being lazy.

13ValleyNative(174 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

There is just no hope for Ohio. 2010 census data will show decreased population for sure. Move south where there are jobs. And sun in December

14L0L(660 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

Sorry peacelover even though im for helping people 2 years is more like welfare. Even welfare shouldnt be that long. Welfare was created to be a crutch not a way of living. The same goes for unemployment. And by the way your car accident theory has a hole in it. The accident, and injury, would be covered by the persons car insurance. Or are you suggesting someone not have car insurance and drive illegally while on unemployment?

15Tigerlily(488 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

Don't bother trying to be a reasonable person with them, peacelover. They're nasty specimens without humane characteristics. They themselves have fine lives, and they just don't care if no one else does. They're pretty much evil people. Don't waste your breath trying to help them understand because they're programmed to think this way, and to think it's right.

16Morrigan(83 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

peacelover, I agree with you on health insurance. Going without it is one of my biggest motivators to stay employed. I have a heart condition that requires medication. My copays on health insurace are great - $10 a prescription. WIthout it, my meds will cost me approximately $200 a month. A visit to the family doctor will be around $80 a visit, my cardiologist would be over $100 a visit. Yes, there's medicaid, but I'd rather work and pay for insurance myself than depend on the state.

17MLC75(529 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

Not everyone is able to find a job,I don't have a problem with another extention for unemployment.The people in the United States need help,our fellow Americans.

Stop sending money to other countries to help their people,then we would have the money we need for an unemployment extention.

18Freeatlast(1991 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

If you can not make it on 1 job get 2 or 3 like I did and my father did . Who ever said you get the weekend off ( whats a weekend ) . Go out and shovel snow , pick up leaves . cut grass . The only thing you can not do today is pump gas . But you can paint a room . and clean out a garage, wash cars , help old folks . You do not not need a 60 in TV. All you need is pay the rent or home payment to put food on the table and help your kids thought school. If you bought a 500,000 dollar home with a 50,000 income SHAME on you.If you want my tax money go out and help yourself .

19coupie(21 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

There needs to be more stringent guidelines to getting your unemployment extended, you can't just call in or log in once a week and SAY you looked for a job with no real verification. And other things should be taken into consideration, for example, are you a homeowner? Are you losing your home to foreclosure which would further hurt the economy? These are the EXCEPTIONS and not the RULE. What the rule is: A large percentage (not all) people on unemployment could get jobs if they really wanted to work. They might have to piece together two so-so jobs to make a good living, but you do what you gotta do and stop expecting a handout. See the times of times of having these great jobs with little to no education are gone.Some of these people with little to no qualifications think some great job is just supposed to fall from the sky. The gov't needs to be very careful here. Just like with the welfare system. Was created with great intentions, but now we have a whole population of people who feel it's NORMAL to get paid on the first of the month and fill their cupboards with foodstamps. It's not even the younger generations fault, they are just following suit of what they've observed. If the gov't isn't careful and put some limits on this unemployment, there is going to be a whole new wave of people with think it's just normal to get a gov't check. My ex-husband is the perfect example. Since 1989 I never knew him not to have a job. Fought in Desert Storm and was always hardworking. He got laid off and stayed on unemployment for 18 months. We were going through a divorce so his former employers would call me to call him back and he would say, they aren't paying enough and continue to collect. I can only imagaine what these people with lesser work ethics do.

20coupie(21 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

I will take this welfare/unemployment discussion a step further. I have a co-worker at my job who is divorced because her husband wasn't about the right things and she was left with an infant and toddler to raise on her own. But because she is a single, educated parent the gov't feels she's got it made. And with child support and her 32K job that comes out to about 40K a year she is expected to pay a daycare bill for two children that comes out to over $1000 per month? Not to mention student loans to the tune of $200 per month b/c she wasn't born with a silver spoon in her mouth, but didnt' want to rely on the gov't? Why is no one crying outrage over that? Nearly half of her money is supposed to go to daycare to keep a job because she's not "sponging the system" before she even thinks about paying the mortgage, buying food and diapers, or putting gas in her car? And yes she is a CSB worker and some people aparently think we have it made (sorry had to get it in there this is OUR realities) but I have little sympathy for those who fall on this umemployment crutch. At least those working the lower paying jobs can still get their child care paid for so it clearly evens out. I know I work my behind off all day well into many nights, but even if I didn't have my job, I would work at Mickey D's by day and clean hotels at night if I had to because that's what I was taught. At least my kids would learn you don't get by on a handout.

21howardinyoungstown(591 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

Some of you seem to think that there are 4000 jobs available in Mahoning Valley, this is not the case. So when these benefits are cut off and 4000 people become desperate, yes a few hundred will take any available job they can find but the rest will likely turn to crime, I guess most of you feel we don't have enough crime in the Valley.

22coupie(21 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

okay censordship, I like some of your posts, I think we can agree there needs to be cuts in gov't handouts, I'm for drug testing welfare recipients, and there is a whole popluation of people that are unemployable and always will be. But you and me are NOT going to agree on this. Did you not hear me say 32K plus support = $40000 per year. She gets close to $700 per month in child support, might not be much to you, but at least he works and pays something. And your gross calculations are a little off. $40000 per year is $3333 per month so after taxes she brings in roughly $2850 per month. So $1000 to daycare $525 for mortgage, insurance, and taxes (a safe, but far from extravagent neighborhood), about $190 for gas and electric, $75 for water, $50 for phone,$400 for food, $175 for gas in the car, $150 car pymt for a very modest, reliable car(she has to drive all over the county), car insurance $65. Okay so we're already at $2630 of $2850 budget and haven't so much as bought a stitch of clothing,bought so much as a cleaning product, paid for a school sporting event, oh yeah we have to pay for school lunches too, put anything away for college, or be able to save for an unexpected expense . Nor have we paid for co-pays, necessary prescriptions when the kids are sick, paid for life insurance, or even thought about saving for a rainy day. Not so much of even thought of buying a christmas gift for our children while others are out collecting from multiple churches and the Salvation Army. Yes these are the realities of life and we deal with them every day. The point I'm trying to make is those that work the hardest are barely surviving above those who are getting the handouts.And no, not everyone has family to help. Some of our older middle class families are still working because they haven't been able to save for us. It's obvious you are at the top of the food chain or something and couldn't care less.

23SkyKing310B(253 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

@coupie- You make a good advocate for your friend- she is probably entitled to the child care tax credit and the earned income credit to supplement her earnings- Assuming Congress extends the Bush Tax cuts. She should also receive the child tax credits if her children are under 17 which I believe you said were young children.

I remember going through 2 very long layoffs back in the late 70's and early 80's. Back then, when you went to apply for work and would have gotten the job, they couldn't believe someone laid off from GM would really stay on with them and not return to Lordstown. I know many employers passed up good workers because of this mind set. That is not the case today. There's is no longer the great disparity between GM wages and other employers that there once was.

The real problem is one that is not even being discussed on this thread. The Grand Plan is to bring the standard of living here in the US down to more easily merge us into a North American Gov't as part of the New World Order. The master plan is slowly working as we have more and more people dependent on the gov't for their way of life. It's been slowly coming for the last 100 years and Pelosi and Co have almost gotten us there.

24bluehouse(9 comments)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

Boardman Petco is hiring for managers. Valvoline Instant Oil is hiring. Look at Snag a job dot come. There are jobs out there. Too many people would just rather collect unemployment because they think they are worth more then what the job pays. Guess What, you are worth what the job offers.

25wrk2crz(1 comment)posted 3 years, 9 months ago

Bluehouse 4000 people in the valley are going to try for those two postitions, can you find 3998 more for us that are unemployed. I have been unemployed for over two years and currently working for temp agencys as that has been the only way to work. I went and got my associates degree and am looking for a job at every possible location. I have turned in thousand resumes have gone on interviews and been in compatition with hundreds of other people for the same position. I travel many miles for a job and work for little more than minium wage. No insurace. So for all of you out there who are not in the position that a lot of us are in have no room to talk. I would work happly for 12 or 16 dollars an hour. Yes I used my unemployment and went back to school am over 50 and trying my best to get a full time job. Problem is alot of the companys don't want to hire you for full time work and would rather use temp services. So if you are someone out there who knows someone that is the only way to get in to a very good paying job. But at this point in time i am willing to take any job.