Springfield student accused of shooting threats

Published: Wed, December 1, 2010 @ 7:41 p.m.

NEW SPRINGFIELD

A Springfield High School student was arrested Wednesday, accused of threatening to shoot the assistant principal and other students.

Colin Worsencroft, 18, of New Springfield, was charged with aggravated menacing. According to police, the teen was in a classroom Tuesday getting caught up with schoolwork when a friend left the lunchroom to visit him.

When the assistant principal told the friend to leave, Worsencroft became upset and said he “hated” the school and the assistant principal and that he “wished he could shoot everyone in the school.”

Calling the incident irregular, Springfield Police Chief Matthew Mohn said if students do make threats, administrators should “take it seriously and call the police right away.”

The teen later said he was joking. He has a court appearance in Struthers Wednesday.

Comments

1Lifes2Short(3877 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

A sick individual being a "copy cat" from the Wisconsin hostage situation. Well Colin you made the media. Useless fool.

2Stan(9923 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

3gobucks22(2 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

Actually, I know this individual personally. He is one of the kindest and most sincere people I have ever met. He would do anything for the people around him. He is not in any way a "sick individual". Maybe what he did was stupid and sick, but everyone says things they don't mean in the heat of the moment. He would never actually do something like this. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but until you know the person, it's wrong to pass judgement on them.

4Lifes2Short(3877 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

"He is one of the kindest and most sincere people I have ever met."

Here we go, the famous quote. Gotta love it.

5binx(81 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

Regardless of what the person is... these teenagers need to grow up and realize that they are not funny and not "tough guys" when they say this stuff. They also need to realize the horror that has been within the last 15 years in these schools due to guns and threats and bullies, etc. Wasn't there just a mock gun threat at Springfield schools? You cannot do anything to get to these kids. Should make these idiots go spend a day at Chaney, East... and see how long their "funny" comments last them.

6gobucks22(2 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

Lifes2short, your opinion isn't important to me. I know Colin and know the type of person he is. He doesn't have to answer to you, he has to live with his decision. I'm done wasting my time on this site fighting with someone I don't even know. Believe what you want, I don't care. I love you Colin, and I wish you the best. You have my support

7ThatGirl(17 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

Based on the police report, I think that this boys words were spoken in the heat of the moment and there was very little likelihood that the threats would have been carried out.

However, this young man needs to realize that such comments are unacceptable in the real world. He could face these same criminal charges had he made the threats to a co-worker, a friend or even just a waiter at a restaurant. This gentleman is 18-years old -- this will be a difficult lesson for him to learn, but I hope that other young adults can benefit from his mistake, as well.

8Lifes2Short(3877 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

gobucks22

"Lifes2short, your opinion isn't important to me."

Did I mention it was?

"I know Colin and know the type of person he is."

Do you really know "know" Colin?

"He doesn't have to answer to you, he has to live with his decision."

Did I say he did? And yes he does, he's a fool to say what he did, whether a joke or not, you don't say certain things. To many innocent people have died because of shootings. Read the news some day.

"I'm done wasting my time on this site fighting with someone I don't even know."

Who is fighting?

"Believe what you want, I don't care."

I believe hes a fool for saying what he said. Period.

"I love you Colin, and I wish you the best. You have my support"

Well maybe have a one on one talk with Colin and explain the consequences of certain things.

THATGIRL

"This gentleman is 18-years old -- this will be a difficult lesson for him to learn, but I hope that other young adults can benefit from his mistake, as well."

All you have to do his read the above comments from "gobucks22" to see how much they learn from others mistakes. They don't. They think there always right. So sad.

9ThatGirl(17 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

Lifes2Short -- Unfortunately, the notion that teenagers "think they're always right" isn't anything new and probably won't change (I know that I, to an extent, had that attitude as a teen). As they get older, they'll see the wisdom in the words that adults gave them when they were younger. But until then, many of them won't take what we have to say seriously. All that we can hope is that, in those years between childhood and adulthood, they don't make a mistake so irreversible that it will negatively impact the remainder of their lives or the lives of others.

gobucks22 -- I respect that this is your friend and that you support him as such. But keep in mind that he did commit a crime. I certainly hope that you and other students at SLHS are not in support of the actual crime.