Mahoning commissioners abolish 26 JFS jobs

Published: Thu, August 12, 2010 @ 1:42 p.m.

YOUNGSTOWN

The Mahoning County Commissioners unanimously authorized today the abolition of 26 jobs in the income maintenance section of the county’s Department of Job and Family Services.

The 26 furloughs resulting from the job abolishments will take effect Aug. 27 and Sept. 3.

The layoffs are occurring due to a $1 million deficit, said Judee Genetin, JFS director.

The department has lost $6 million in combined federal and state funding since July 2007, she said.

Those to be laid off are 21 members of American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees Local 2001, four supervisors belonging to the United Auto Workers Union, and one non-union fiscal specialist.

Where possible, JFS chose positions for abolishment that don’t directly affect client services, Genetin said.

JFS employs about 295 people in its income maintenance and child support enforcement divisions combined.

Comments

1redvert(2100 comments)posted 4 years, 4 months ago

Someone please explain to me what the "Income maintenance" department does. Just curious, somehow I got a feeling that it was a made up department for the most part.

2FormerYtowner(96 comments)posted 4 years, 4 months ago

Good...those S.O.Bs deserve all they get.

3georgejeanie(887 comments)posted 4 years, 4 months ago

Keep laying off the bums. Most of them would not know what a days work is. Let them work in the private sector, see how long they survive after working for the government.

4youngstowntransplant(28 comments)posted 4 years, 4 months ago

hey george come sit in my Chair and u will know what a real job is. Dont open ur pie hole if you don't know what your talking about!! And Former Ytowner glad ur gone there enough trash here!! RedVert we are real.......sorry not made up!!

5redvert(2100 comments)posted 4 years, 4 months ago

youngstowntransplant, I asked what this department did. Can you not answer the question or are you still trying to figure out what to say. If your job is really legit (and it may well be), explain it!

6mrblue(1060 comments)posted 4 years, 4 months ago

:Hey! County commissioners and Mr. Tablack,--were any of your friends amoung those getting pink slips? I am sure there are others who would like to know.

7youngstowntransplant(28 comments)posted 4 years, 4 months ago

First of all Redvert I do work so I can just now read your comment so just Chillout! Income Maintaince is a varity of positions. CaseManagers (who interview the people and Determine Eligibility (using Federal and State rules) , Social Services etc. It is like a generic name for several positions.

8FormerYtowner(96 comments)posted 4 years, 4 months ago

Ytowntransplant,

Yes you do work, you work to screw over people who need help by hiding behind "Federal and State rules" and give aid hand over fist to people who live to get a free hand out.

Now before you start your rant that I must have been denied eligibility for a service, you're right..I was. Sour apples, maybe. The whole JFS could go fly a kite for all I care.

9youngstowntransplant(28 comments)posted 4 years, 4 months ago

hey Former if you have a problem with the rules blaming us will not help IT IS THE STATE GOVERMENT!!! It wasn't our fault so as they say don't shoot the messenger You act like we personally denied you........sorry don't happen that way. Its the same all over Ohio! now if you go to another state things will be different. ..........sorry rules are rules

10Silence_Dogood(1384 comments)posted 4 years, 4 months ago

ON THE BRIGHT SIDE, THINK OF IT THIS WAY , THERE ARE TWENTYSIX LESS PEOPLE THAT WILL DIE WHEN OAKHILL FALLS TO THE GROUND WHEN THE NEW MADRID EARTHQUAKE HITS!
YOUNGSTOWNTRANSPLANT STOP WITH ALL THAT GETTO LINGO AND SPELL OUT IN CLEAR (BLACK AND WHITE) TERMS, WHAT THE HECK "income maintenance section of the county’s Department of Job and Family Services." IS. WE THE TAXPAYERS WOULD LOVE TO KNOW WHAT THESE PEOPLE DO ON A DAILY BASIS, BESIDES OF COURSE , COMPLAIN ABOUT THE AIRCONDITIONER, THE SNAKES, THE BUGS, AND THE FLEES AND LICE THAT THEY HAVE TO CONTEND WITH ON A DAILY BASIS.
YOU PAMPARED B@#$%^&S NEED TO GET A CLUE AND JOIN THE REAL WORLD.

(all caps for effect)

11youngstowntransplant(28 comments)posted 4 years, 4 months ago

KMA Dogwood I dont speak getto.....maybe if you had a degree you'd understand. And if you do maybe you need a refersher. I am tired of defending myself and coworkers from people like you. You are ignorant, you know nothing. And talk about B#$@*(*g.....look at youself in a mirror I have seen your posts you are a grumpy person so you MUST be a unhappy. I am happy and sleep very well at night. I am proud to say I work for the Gov't I am lucky to work for the Gov't. I have some of the best coworkers. I will tell you one thing......its people like you and others on here that get your kicks out of putting us down but know what grump? We are all laughing at you! Laugh at us if you want if it makes you feel better go ahead. Oh and by the way, I am in the real world but you my grumpy friend live in a very dark and unhappy world I feel sorry for you.

(do I make you have HTN now? Oh wait maybe I should spell that out for my grumpy friend Hypertension wait you may not know that either ummm High Blood Pressure? good hope I do haha)
peace out!!

12FormerYtowner(96 comments)posted 4 years, 4 months ago

I would be happy to work for the government too if I worked for a garbage made up department. Oh yeah by the way...nice to say you and your co-workers are laughing at us....ya know the ones that pay your salary. Typical JFS worker.

13youngstowntransplant(28 comments)posted 4 years, 4 months ago

hahahahahaha still laughing you would say garbage

14Silence_Dogood(1384 comments)posted 4 years, 4 months ago

youngstown transplant I wont be kissing your ass any time in the future but you can be assured of one simple fact, every time there is a tax on the ballot I and many just like me will be voting it down. We know how you jack azzez are, we know how you wont answer one simple question. And you can laugh all you f%&*@#g want, that wont change the facts at the polling booths the next time you come crawling to the voters for more handouts. So keep F%&*@#g laughing.

15Silence_Dogood(1384 comments)posted 4 years, 4 months ago

"maybe I should spell that out "

UR rgt mybe u cld spl tht out. i lrnd tht at skul.

16barbiedoll(8 comments)posted 4 years, 4 months ago

hi everyone...income maintenance or "IM" are the workers that directly deal with the clients for example the case managers. I really cant believe how mean some of these comments are. Seriously, consider if it was your daughter or son, wife or husband, friend or otherwise losing their jobs. Would they deserve it? You do not know what goes on in their 8 hours of work and you do not care to know, you just want to conform to the theory that government workers do nothing all day. I wish no bad luck on anyone and I do not judge especially when I have nothing to back up what I think or say. I think you would be hard pressed to find many people who would say they were not treated respectfully, kindly and efficiently when they walked into the offices at job and family services. So count to ten before you say these harsh things about the mothers, fathers, wives, husbands and friends that go to work and do their jobs just like everyone else fortunate enough to have a job.

17FormerYtowner(96 comments)posted 4 years, 4 months ago

@ barbidoll
1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10....

JFS still sucks. I was treated like crap there, like i was wasting their time. Lay off 26 more, then 26 more after that.

18youngstowntransplant(28 comments)posted 4 years, 4 months ago

Just a short description
Income maintance:
front desk workers take applications, verfications, changes reported in person, screen new application, enter basic info in computer and more
CaseManagers:Conduct Interviews , enters information in to computer system and determine eligibility using policies put in place by the state and federal goverment, verfy income and resources, collect medical info and sends to state
IM training: train employees on new policies and train new employees
IM supervisors:
supervise workers, assign appointment and changes
QA dept: review cases for accuracy
Employment (jobs dept) services
assess people for placement in Work experience programs
Legal: Invesvigate complaints of fraud place overpayment on people etc
Clerical: answer phone calls from people on benefits or direct them to casemanagers.
Childcare: determine elig for childcare programs
This is only brief description hope it helps u understand

19youngstowntransplant(28 comments)posted 4 years, 4 months ago

Hey Dogwood, I havent ever seen anything on the ballot for funding of Jobs and Family services..........don't actually ever remember seeing it......If i made You mad to bad, just need to defend the workers. You and others on here feel the need to put us down and judge us because we are county workers. Our Job is not easy . For the most part many people that apply are working poor that need help. Yes we have some that milk the system but we have no say in that if they qualify. I don't like it either but I don't make that decision. I don't like denying people that need us but if you have income over the guidelines you are denied.

20Silence_Dogood(1384 comments)posted 4 years, 4 months ago

Youngstown BRAIN TRANSPLANT
Having BEEN thru every part of the Renaissance Center, from the basement were the lines come in from Youngstown thermal to the rooftop exhausters, I have to laugh EVERY TIME your co-workers cry about your nightmarish working conditions. Your union leader is a joke and has NO clue as to the average working enviornment for the regular joe's. Try working on a road crew in July when it is ninty degrees out and then add in the added temp from hot asphalt.Try the job of a Cop driving around all night and getting SHOT at. Try the life of a Fireman where you have to run into burning buildings. Try the life of a Nurse or Doctor working the ER, and have to deal with out of control drunks bleeding all over you. Try the job of a SOLDIER climbing up and down hillsides all day long and then think about doing that with people shooting at you. I could list a thousand other position where the working enviornment is a thousand time worse then yours.
I would encourage EVERY ONE to go to the Rennaissance Center and just walk thru that building and you will be scraching your head as to why these people keep refering to that place as a working hellhole of a building.

Which leads us right back to my first comment
"WE THE TAXPAYERS WOULD LOVE TO KNOW WHAT THESE PEOPLE DO ON A DAILY BASIS, BESIDES OF COURSE , COMPLAIN ABOUT THE AIRCONDITIONER, THE SNAKES, THE BUGS, AND THE FLEES AND LICE THAT THEY HAVE TO CONTEND WITH ON A DAILY BASIS.
YOU PAMPARED B@#$%^&S NEED TO GET A CLUE AND JOIN THE REAL WORLD."

21youngstowntransplant(28 comments)posted 4 years, 4 months ago

Hey dogwood you don't need to tell me about working "in the real world" I was a paramedic for 20 years. so again you know nothing about us so think and say what you want. You are a real piece of work Who has something negative to say about everything its sad really. I believe I have gotten under your skin and I am loving it you cannot win You just keep repeating the same stuff. Stuff that is not true and ignorant. For everything you say I will have a comeback. Give it up go back into your shallow word of negative thoughts...stay out of mine :)

22Silence_Dogood(1384 comments)posted 4 years, 4 months ago

"stay out of mine :)"

So let me see if I have this right, by decree the braintransplant has ordered me to stay out of his/her world. I can only read that as an order to stop posting my thoughts. Well isn't that just special!
I dont have time to finish this comment , I thing the building just shook, that or the guy next to me farted. Either way we all have to leave the building now, see you on thursday.

23youngstowntransplant(28 comments)posted 4 years, 4 months ago

"thing the building" hahahahaha maybe u need a brain transplant so original by the way.

24Silence_Dogood(1384 comments)posted 4 years, 4 months ago

BRAIN TRANSPLANT
Sorry for the spelling mistake, I was typing when the guy next to me farted, and my Union Leader was ordering us to leave the building at the same time that she was consulting with Anthony Cafaro. So you see there was a lot of confusion at the time.Thank God it was only a fart and not a REAL earthquake, for if it were that building would have fallen for sure.

25JME(801 comments)posted 4 years, 4 months ago

@Youngstowntransplant, your spelling and grammer is horrible. And you have a college degree?

"goverment" - more than once, it's government.
"verfications"
"Invesvigate"
"Income Maintaince is a varity of positions" - what does "maintaince" and "varity" mean?

Your lack of professionalism and intelligence on these boards give all the county workers a bad name.

26Silence_Dogood(1384 comments)posted 4 years, 4 months ago

BRAIN TRANSPLANT
I hope ur hvn a gud wkend,did u rd LME's pst u mit lrn smthng. g da

27youngstowntransplant(28 comments)posted 4 years, 4 months ago

hahahaha ok so I didn't pay attention to my typing....yes I can spell just wasn't my day to type I guess. So glad your at least reading what I have to say. And Dogwood damn son get off the earthquake already can't you come up with something new? That is so old news.....It happened get over it. Give me something else to argue with you about! I love pissing you off!!! <mauh!>

28ytownsteelman(631 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

I think the underlying hatred in this thread may be based in the seething anger that more and more Americans have toward government. We see more of our tax money being spent, not on stuff that we need such as roads and infrastructure, but on income redistribution. Call it what you may, but "income maintenance" is nothing but redistribution of wealth. Most of us never get the chance to convey our anger to our elected officials, so when a government worker such as Youngsowntransplant sticks his head out I'm not surprised that many want to chop it off.

29steelwagon(284 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

Steelman makes a good point.
I think most folks are upset with govt.in general.

That said......
I'm not taking sides here and all I can truthfuly say is my own experience with JFS.
My neighbor is a member of the working poor.
I took her to JFS.
Although she was denied any benefits because she didn't qualify due to her income being over the guidelines she was well treated and shown the respect most of us want.

The caseworker she talked to was kind and explained the reasons she didn't qualify in a very polite manner.
These people do have rules and guidelines mandated by the fed.and state govt.they have to follow.

Her caseworker didn't fully agree with those rules and given her choice would have helped my friend out but rules are rules.

With so many folks in our area needing help I would imagine that the people at JFS.have plenty to do.
Again I can only speak about what I saw while I was there.