Struthers fights move of BMV license center to Poland

Published: Thu, April 29, 2010 @ 12:06 a.m.

By jeanne starmack

starmack@vindy.com

struthers

City council and administrators want to do what they can to stop the state from closing the Bureau of Motor Vehicles License Services at Struthers Plaza on Fifth Street.

The license center is closing June 26, and a new one will open on U.S. Route 224 in Poland near the Giant Eagle, said center workers and city officials.

The closing would mean a loss of nine jobs and taxes for the city, said Bob Carcelli, 4th Ward councilman.

Carcelli and Mayor Terry Stocker said they have received numerous calls from residents upset about the closing.

In a letter to city council, Terry Farmer, deputy registrar at the center, said he was notified Monday that his contract with the Bureau of Motor Vehicles will not be renewed.

“The state has awarded the contract to another person who will be moving the agency to Poland and hiring her own employees,” the letter reads.

The letter does not say why the contract was awarded to someone else. It notes that the center’s staff has scored high on periodical evaluations and is in good standing with the BMV.

Stocker said the state did not notify the city about the closing.

Farmer said in his letter that the center is more centrally located for serving Struthers, Campbell, Coitsville, Lowellville, Youngstown and Boardman.

The municipal court also serves neighboring jurisdictions, and license violations are handled at the center.

Carcelli said council will have a resolution ready at its next meeting asking the state to reconsider the closing and will present it to State Sen. Joe Schiavoni of Canfield, D-33rd.

There also is a petition against the closing at the center, which residents can sign.

Comments

1atek101(77 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

Sounds to me like a working class city is losing a service in order to convenience a wealthier suburban community. I am sure political maneuvering plays a role here, but I still don't like the idea of moving vital services out of more functional locations for the benefit of the wealthy. Whether it's a 'natural' economic process or not, it's not socially just.

How can one sign the petition? Where is it located? Does it use an online petition service? I would definitely like more information.

2rmzrez(114 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

You could get mugged out there

3Jake(112 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

I look forward to the opening of the Poland facility, but no community should be looking at a DMV as their economy, for crying out loud. Such is the state of Mahoning County these days.

4sweatpea(113 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

Since 1997. I have gone there almost exclusively, it's nowhere near where I live-20 minutes away-no friends, no relatives working there either. There was something different about the people that worked there. They just do a super job. I have been in shorter lines at both Niles and Westside Merchants and spent much more time than in Struthers. Jake makes a valid point, but I'm not sure the 9 employees who will lose their jobs feel that way. In the end, it is really a shame that this was probably all decided in a shady, back room deal. I certainly will not be driving into Poland.

5mike08(4 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

politics again, have you ever been to the struthers office. They have the most courteous and the most knowlegable employees. If they do not know the answer they will find the answer for you, they have opened early and closed late all for the convenance of their customers, how i know this is i was a customer of theirs while they were stilll known as east side merchants in youngstown. i will not go anywhere else, they still have the same original employees. to bad the bmv does not reward good service and dedication the way there customers have.

6mommy3(13 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

I could not care less who has anything to do with this agency. I DO know, however that the staff has always treated me and anyone that has ever walked thru their door with the utmost respect and kindness, they have a thankless job that seems to be getting rewarded with a kick in the teeth. These people (and this was a complete shock to me) are not state employees, no benefits, no union, just wages. I can't imagine going anywhere else. Firsthand I have seen the elderly and veterans of past and present wars been revered in a way deserving of their experience and service. Common decency and respect have to count for something. Politics need to be kicked to the curb this time instead of these dedicated and EXTREMELY efficient folks. Shame on whoever decided this was in the best interests of the state of Ohio. It is just wrong, wrong, wrong. Not to mention the people of Campbell, Coitsville and the smaller communities that now will have to go farther for service.
Do we really need 2 license bureaus on the same street? Please reconsider and keep these people working, they deserve to keep excelling in a job that few do better at.

7Nunya(1356 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

This needs to be blocked and stopped,..

It's without question that Struthers station is one of the best in regards to service in the entire region. The running cost is causing no burden to the area and there's no need to TAKE it from the residents and location to feed Poland.

This is corrupt politics being played here and Struthers residents need to start a formal effort to get Poland's hands off their station. What's driving it is a weak economy and just like the struggling outskirts STOLE all the satellite post offices out of the city of Youngstown.

Some cunning and corrupt cretin representing Poland's interest. Is clearly twisting arms trying to aid their struggling revenue by pillaging Struthers by anything that will generate area revenue.

Where not all and all except an exceptionally sparse few. The region of Youngstown is vastly infested with such corrupt criminals posturing as officials. Which is exactly whats guaranteeing this area never becomes prosperous, self sufficient, respected nor appealing again.

Not to be partisan here and I've got friends and family in the areas I'm about to mention. But via structure and location who in the world wants to go to Poland, Boardman, Cornerburg for such services?,... NOBODY !!!

See that's KNOWN so there's a force feeding of sorts that's been the structural design. Thus via that channel of blatant corruption the criminals the area residents have allowed to perch as officials.

Devise ways to force motorists and those still trying to patronize the postal system to areas that the general populous as the majority would otherwise frequent on a very limited basis.

Which things like that is whats going on and been going on here and exactly what's totally capsized the entire area.

The only way to combat it is if more local citizens that are tired of the criminal crusade. Get in the ring and run for those offices and not one or two but every single position of elected capacity.

8Nunya(1356 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

Furthermore,..

By the State doing this so underhandedly. I don't see that a shaky Ted Strickland just did himself any gubernatorial re-election favors via this stunt.

I'm an Independent that already don't agree with Ted Strickland on a number of issues and this is yet another stunt that's added to his list of those indifference's.

See it's things like this that voters better remember come election time. As a policy driven supporter I can care less what " party " you align with as a voter.

It all comes down to who's shown you what and this " not informing the City " is as underhanded a move as it gets and leaves a distinct signal.

One signaling regardless to " party " disguise that move has dirty politics and republican accord written all over it regardless to what the Governor's " D " designation disguise would allege.

9strangelove(21 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

With my luck, I'd get pulled over by a Poland cop going 27 in a 25 on my way to renew my license.

If the lady who "won" the license has any scruples she would offer the jobs to the people that work there now. If she doesn't . . . look for nepotism.

10dishgardener(1 comment)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

I have used the Struthers Bureau for many years (even though there is another Bureau nearer my home). I go to Struthers because the people working there are always more than helpful. The Struthers area needs this bureau, I'll be signing the petition.

11BillyBob(92 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

Where can we sign this petition?

12Iwannamove(61 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago

You can sign it at the agency, I believe city hall not sure where else I signed mine at Sparkle Market in Struthers

13mike08(4 comments)posted 4 years, 2 months ago