A life cut short - Sandra Scheuer

Published: Sun, April 25, 2010 @ 12:01 a.m.

photo

By HAROLD GWIN

gwin@vindy.com

YOUNGSTOWN

Sandra Scheuer, the daughter of Martin and Sarah Scheuer of Boardman, was a 20-year-old speech and therapy honor student at Kent State University in the spring of 1970.

She wasn’t involved in the student demonstration on campus May 4 of that year but was on her way to class with another student when she walked into the midst of a confrontation between demonstrators and the National Guard.

Sandra was one of four students killed when members of the guard opened fire. Nine others were wounded.

The Boardman High School graduate was about 130 yards from the guardsmen when she was struck.

Bruce Burkland, a student at Ohio University at the time who was dating Sandra, wrote a letter to The Vindicator not long after her death, describing her as “a beautiful person.”

She wasn’t involved in any of the anti-war demonstrations at Kent and wasn’t a reactionary student, Burkland wrote.

“She always spread joy, happiness and laughter in people’s hearts wherever she went,” he said.

Not long after the shooting, Harvey Andrews, a British songwriter, wrote the song, “Hey, Sandy” about her death, and Canadian songwriter Neil Young also made reference to her in his song “Ohio” about the KSU shootings.

Her parents remained skeptical that the truth about how their daughter died would ever be brought to light, and her mother placed blame for the shootings on Gov. James Rhodes, accusing him of using the event for his own political purposes.

Martin Scheuer died in 1999. Sarah and a surviving daughter, Audrey, still live in the area. The family declined to be interviewed for this story.

Comments

1CandyfromCanfield(172 comments)posted 4 years, 4 months ago

I agree. What a miscarriage of justice. Probably the darkest day in the history of Ohio.

2rmzrez(114 comments)posted 4 years, 4 months ago

Did you ever know a GOP er to take responsibility for their crimes . God is on their side , just ask them

3pswyant(1 comment)posted 4 years, 4 months ago

Hello, Ohio,

Although we never met (and didn't even know of each other's existence), Sandy SCHEUER was my 4th cousin. I will be flying the Ohio state flag at half staff on the 4th in her memory and the memory of Allison KRAUSE, Jeff MILLER and Bill SCHROEDER, and the other nine who were injured on that terrible day.

Peter S. Wyant
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

4BeefyOsito(7 comments)posted 4 years, 4 months ago

I was just shy of my sixth birthday and remember the images on the black and white television in our living room. My mama was crying uncontrollably the same way she did the days Dr. King and Senator Kennedy were assassinated two years before. I remember asking her what was wrong. She said 'Honey... this is all about Vietnam... these students don't want us to fight in Vietnam...' I then asked her with the innocence of a child 'Mama... when I grow up will I have to go to Vietnam too?'

5lace(4 comments)posted 4 years, 3 months ago

My Sympathy to the Scheuer family for the passing of Sandra's mother a few days ago.

The horror this family has faced. I read that Kent State never acknowledged her death and never stated any sympathy - just sent a refund check in Sandra's name for the remainder of the spring quarter.

I remember that day also vividly even though I was only twelve. How could soldiers shoot down students? How could the "grown ups" say they deserved it?

I have marched for women's rights and faced the hatred of the anti choice groups. Threats, yells and taunts. It is a scary but brave thing to do.

We are still fighting senseless wars.
When will we ever learn?

Peace