Everyone recognizes GM’s importance to the area, but YSU employees get no respect

Published: Sun, September 20, 2009 @ 12:00 a.m.

EDITOR:

In response to the Sept. 15 editorial, “Public should be livid...,” oh, how the worm has turned.

Because I have a job in today’s economy, I am NOT entitled to a bonus, no matter how small or large it may be? Excuse me for working for someone and something in this town that has a product worth buying ... a great education from YSU. YSU has one of the lowest tuition rates in the state and employees who are paid among the lowest in the state. Tuition increases are the norm in all state supported Ohio schools of higher education because state support has dipped to approximately 32 percent of our budget — yet we elected an “education governor.”

As YSU goes, so goes our city of Youngstown. Besides, folks, the parameters for this bonus were negotiated by both our union and the university’s bargaining team.

Hmmmmm, because of the median income of Youngstown is lower what I make, could it be because I have worked here 14 years and moved up the pay scale and taken on more responsibility to get re-classified 1 grade higher in that time period? Nah, that probably had nothing to do with it. By the way, I earned $9.81/hour with a bachelor’s degree from YSU when I started at the university, and I had to take and pass a civil service test before even being considered for employment.

There is danger in painting everyone who is a classified employee at YSU with a broad brush. This broad brush approach was also done with GM employees when they got outrageous raises, guaranteed overtime pay, special GM pricing on vehicles, and fantastic health care benefits, to name a few. But our community is faithful to a fault when it comes to GM Lordstown. There have been big campaigns with radio and TV ads and billboards to keep production at Lordstown. Politicians and The Vindicator express dire consequences with the “trickle down effect” for the Valley should Lordstown go down. That’s great, but where is the support for the registration worker, clerical worker, building and grounds worker, parking personnel and countless others at YSU that aid the Valley’s most precious natural resource (our kids) in striving for a degree that will certainly help them earn more than the median wage in Youngstown?

I, for one, do give outstanding care and service to our students at YSU that is far above what is considered adequate. With me, students absolutely come first and I am dedicated to them and to YSU. I know you will find many ACE Union employees, police, and faculty that have the same work ethic that I do. Come work at my job for just one day.

MARY LYNN SAVAGE

Administrative Assistant 1

Department of Physics & Astronomy

Youngstown State University

Comments

1gmdad13(2 comments)posted 4 years, 12 months ago

Outrageous raises. guaranteed o.t. What planet are you living on. I've been at G.M. for 31 years and I would love to get an outrageous raise. If you don't like where you work than find another job. Stop blaming the autoworker for your problems.

2gmdad13(2 comments)posted 4 years, 12 months ago

Try working at my job for 1 hour.

3CandyfromCanfield(172 comments)posted 4 years, 12 months ago

But you are a secretary! You did not recuit, register, or advise any of these students, therefore, you did not really EARN this bonus. You can wax on all you want to about how hard you work for the betterment of the students, but in your job, you primarily answer to the faculty members in your department. You can spin this anyway you want, but you can't change the facts...

4Aptenodytes(8 comments)posted 4 years, 12 months ago

Candy,
You may not be aware of this but I can assure you that there are ACE members who have volunteered for school recruitment drives showcasing our research labs and student opportunities. All unpaid, of course, on weekends. The are many other instances, but this will only fall on deaf ears.
Candy, please don't pretend to know what ACE members earn or don't earn. The only clue you have is what you earn with your GED.

5CandyfromCanfield(172 comments)posted 4 years, 12 months ago

I work at YSU. I know exactly of what I speak. This bonus, for the most part, was unearned by the ACE staff. And I'm sure a few of you do volunteer...that's not the point. By virtue of the kinds of work that ACE members perform, ACE workers are not recruiting, registering, or advising students. Those ARE the facts. I wish the public would request documents on what ACE members earn without degrees as opposed to other staff with several degrees (bachelor's degrees...and higher). Again, those are undisputable facts. BTW (that stands for "by the way") I have several degrees, but a GED isn't one of them! LOL

6Stan(9923 comments)posted 4 years, 12 months ago

YSU employees got $4,500. worth of respect . All I got was a reminder of how bad the economy is .

7northsideperson(365 comments)posted 4 years, 12 months ago

Candy, I hope you posted that response on your break.

Knowing now that you're a YSU employee, I can't help but wonder if some of the things you've said in these discussions are "sour grapes" because you're not an ACE employee.

8CandyfromCanfield(172 comments)posted 4 years, 12 months ago

Don't need to be a union employee. My work ethic and respect from my administrative colleagues ensure my future with YSU. Now get back to work before I have to write you up! ha ha