Youngstown cops seek man in rape of East teen

Published: Sat, October 31, 2009 @ 12:09 a.m.

By John W. Goodwin Jr.

The girl, 17, said the suspect threatened to rape her again.

YOUNGSTOWN — Police are investigating two reported sexual assaults — one involving a 17-year-old girl getting off the school bus on the South Side.

Officers were sent to the area of Indianola Avenue and Cooper Street to meet with the girl and a concerned bus driver. The bus driver was flagged down by the shaking and crying of a disoriented 17-year-old East High School girl at 4:30 p.m. Thursday somewhere near Indianola.

According to police, the girl was dropped off at her usual bus stop at the corner of Myrtle Avenue and Franklin Street. She was approached by a man driving a white Honda Prelude with a cracked windshield shortly after being dropped off.

The girl told police the man showed her a knife, then began dragging her toward the white car. She told police the man told her he knew where she lived, who she is and that she had better get in the car.

The girl told police the man drove her to an abandoned brown house in the area of South and Dewey avenues. Reports say she was forced inside the house, where the man stripped her of her clothes and raped her.

The man, reports say, told the girl to walk home after the assault, but warned her not to call police or the same thing would happen again.

The girl was taken to St. Elizabeth Health Center, where an examination was conducted. Police have collected the results of the exam and are looking for the man.

Police in Youngstown and Struthers are also investigating the kidnapping and attempted rape of a 30-year-old Struthers woman.

According to police, the woman left a bar on Midlothian Boulevard on the South Side early Thursday with two men who said they would take her to a store at Midlothian and Shirley Road to buy cigarettes. She said the store was closed, so the trio went to another store at Wilson Avenue and Center Street on the East Side.

Police say the men took the woman to a grassy area somewhere near the Center Street bridge and tried to remove her clothes.

According to police reports, the men were scared off by a passing police car. The woman went home and called police a few hours after the incident took place.

jgoodwin@vindy.com

Comments

1MSPHIFER27(7 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

wat is youngstown coming to, you cant let your kids be unsupervised for one second without having to worry about them getting abducted, raped, or just dying,

2Ytown_born_and_bred(27 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

This is very unfortunate, but it happens everywhere.

3Lifes2Short(3875 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

Ytown_born_and_bred - Nice comment - Been trying to say that forever, it happens everywhere. The East High girl, glad she got the authorities involved, good job. The women leaving a bar with 2 men is just asking for trouble nowadays, especially since she didn't know them.

4Stan(9923 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

The lifestyles of the subculture .They would term this as enhanced dating . When these fellows are caught let's hope that the judge and or jury has a lack of compassion for them . Giving them long stretches of prison time is the only way that their lives can be controlled .

5OmManiPadmeHum(4 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

Kudos to the young girl who was raped for not being afraid to get the police involved. I believe the police ARE looking for the man as I teach at a school on the east side and noticed police cruisers throughout the area yesterday, in particular near the store on Shehy (where the man was shot in the vacant lot last spring?) where men continue to mill about the front of, despite what the owner says. I see it everyday.

6Ytownboy(142 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

There has a been a string of similar attacks recently. The one in Campbell was almost exactly like the one on the south side. If people are home at the time children get off the bus it wouldn't hurt to keep an eye out. The community groups and block watches should get involved.

7msjones4(2 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

omg what is youngstown coming to i love my city but wow days i want to move back there cause i miss my city n people in it but other days i say i cant raise my 5 babies there they been through enough to last them a life time i pray that youngstown as one can come togother soon n say THAT'S ENOUGH!!!!!!!!

8Lifes2Short(3875 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

It's a shame, Youngstown gets such a bad rap all the time, and it's not the perfect place to live, but it's not the worse either. Look at these stats on the FBI site and you'll notice in the charts, cities with smaller populations then Y-town, have more crimes then Youngstown. I know people are going to comment negative things, but just look at the chart and compare. It's not always greener on the other side.

9harbres(29 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

I'm glad this young girl did the best thing and got the authorities involved! So many young girls would have been to scared after being threatened like that. I hope they get this guy and get him off the streets.

You know, if parents (at least the ones who pay attention and care) don't have enough worries when it comes to their kids.. lets add more, right?!!?

And whoever commented above about it being unfortunate and it happens everywhere.. is soo right. I think we have come to a time when there is no "safe place" to live.... anything that happens in one town can happen in another.. .I think people just have to be more aware and be keeping a better eye out... I don't know what else you can do :(

10OmManiPadmeHum(4 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

When I lived in Deer Creek Apartments in Austintown a Tier 2 sex offender, Richard Cornelius, lived 2 floors above me. I found out because I periodically check the ESORN site (everybody should from time to time for their zip code). His offense was gross sexual imposition of a female child. I immediately contacted neighbors in my building and I wondered why we weren't contacted by GMS Management who manages the apartments. I asked at the leasing office and I was told they didn't have to tell us. Nice, huh? I guess it's up to us to be aware of who lives near us.

11Shandre83(20 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

I'm just glad the females didnt get killed. Its just sad what people will do now days.