Coroner: Early results indicate cheerleader died of natural causes

Published: Fri, October 23, 2009 @ 4:30 p.m.

photo

family: Crystal and Michael Howell hold a photo of their daughter, Jabraya, an East High School cheerleader who died Wednesday. Michael is holding Jabraya’s brother, Michael Jr., 2, as they marked Jabraya’s 17th birthday Thursday.

YOUNGSTOWN — The Mahoning County coroner said preliminary autopsy results show that the death of an East High School cheerleader Wednesday is due to apparent natural causes.

Dr. David M. Kennedy said a final ruling in the death of Jabraya Howell, 16, of Shirley Road, is pending laboratory test results.

Jabraya collapsed at an after-school cheerleader practice and efforts to revive her were unsuccessful.

Comments

1Stan(9923 comments)posted 4 years, 9 months ago

The term natural causes is used when they don't know what killed her . Possibly a virus may have weakened her system . A healthy young girl just doesn't die without some underlying cause .

2concerned(167 comments)posted 4 years, 9 months ago

No Stan I would bet she got vaccines at her recent physical where she got a clean bill of health. Mainstream "preventative medicine" probably killed her. 17 year old healthy girls don't die of "natural causes".

3barbiedoll(8 comments)posted 4 years, 9 months ago

Excuse me, are either of you parents? If so you would think before you type these harsh comments. Are you doctors? Regardless of the medical condition, this is a very great loss that brought despair to parents, family, friends, a community and anyone who is a parent and can't imagine receiving the news of their child passing like this. I pray her parents and family can find some kind of peace so that they can wake up and get out of bed every morning. My deepest sympathy for the loss of this beautiful, motivated, good girl that was taken too soon.

4concerned(167 comments)posted 4 years, 9 months ago

Yes barbiedoll, I am a parent. I apologize for not restating my sympathies to the family. I did in anoter article about Jabraya. A tremendous loss for the famly and the community. Words can't begin to take away the pain of lossing a child I would imagine. Jabraya looked like and sounded like a lovely young woman. Her parents should be so proud of the beautiful and talented daughter they raised. I hope they get some answers as to why she passed. "Natural causes" doesn't seem natural at all for a healthy 17 year old girl.

5aeparish(669 comments)posted 4 years, 9 months ago

Those comments are not harsh... Those are things that the parents really should be looking into.

Yes, they are preoccupied with the fact that their very young daughter just passed away, and that is truly tragic. I can only fathom how difficult it is for her parents, family, and friends to go through this. But, at the same time, I'm sure they all want answers. The answers will not bring that wonderful little girl back, but it will be a part of the recovery process in helping them find closure one day.

6Stan(9923 comments)posted 4 years, 9 months ago

barbiedoll :

What I find disturbing is the fact that the term natural causes was used by the coroner . If I wasn't concerned over this girls death I would have posted nothing . The young are our future and the death of Jabraya was a loss for all of us . May God ease the burden of her passing on the family .

7MzVirgoLuv(157 comments)posted 4 years, 9 months ago

It was understood that the girl had a very severe case of asthma. My daughter was there when Jabraya collapsed and she had been complaining about not getting enough air. This is a terrible loss of life and hopefully this will make parents/guardians take greater precautions to monitor their childrens' health. And hopefully, this crazy issue with the healthcare reform will move forward positively so that we are not too scared to take our children to the doctor's and not too broke to pay for medication that might be needed. My heart and my prayers go out to the family and to our fellow Liberty Walmart Supercenter cashier who was the older sister of Jabraya, we are here for you and will be keeping you in our prayers during your time of bereavement.

8aeparish(669 comments)posted 4 years, 9 months ago

I really wish you wouldn't have brought up the health care reform, because now I can't hold back on commenting about it on a forum in which it really doesn't belong.

So all I'm going to say is this: socialized health care isn't going to help people like they think it will. It's a disaster waiting to happen. It bugs me how people think this is so wonderful. Yeah, it's wonderful for the people who don't currently have to pay for health care. If you work (which I've gathered that you may possibly work at WalMart) -- wait until your taxes sky rocket. Socialized health care is just going to make the middle class look like even bigger morons for getting up every day and going to work, so we can continue helping support the people who have already learned that it's just easier to be poor.