Cheerleader who collapsed, died identified as Jabraya Howell

Published: Thu, October 22, 2009 @ 1:00 p.m.

YOUNGSTOWN — The East High School cheerleader who collapsed during an after-school practice Wednesday and later died has been identified as Jabraya Howell of Shirley Road.

Howell was taken to St. Elizabeth Health Center where she died. The Mahoning County coroner’s office is investigating.

Superintendent Wendy Webb said grief counselors were at East High School and other schools in the district this morning to deal with student concerns over Howell’s death.

Howell was very popular and had a lot of friends, Webb said, noting that she had also attended Chaney High School before her family moved and she was reassigned to East.

Today was her 17th birthday and members of her family joined the East cheerleading squad at the school this morning to celebrate her life.

Comments

1reneeb(1 comment)posted 5 years ago

LOVE U MY BEAUTIFUL NEICE RIP...YOUR WITH THE ANGELS NOW...YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.....MY PRINCESS

LOVE U ALWAYS

AUNTIE RENEE
CLEVELAND OHIO

2cs713(5 comments)posted 5 years ago

This is truly a tragic loss. This little girl comes from such a strong solid family, it's so sad. We can only trust that she is in a better place.

3boxerlover(130 comments)posted 5 years ago

Deepest sympathy to the family. My daughter remembers her all the way back to Kirkmere. From this life to God's. He welcomes her with open arms.

4nikkix0xmarie3(2 comments)posted 5 years ago

braya, you were such a good friend, i remember wayy back at kirkmere.

wow, 6 years of being friends went by so fast.

im going to miss you, and i love you tons.

happy birthday jabraya, iwish you were here to celebrate it, but your up with god and your one of his angels now, so watch over all of us because you know were all going to need it.

my prayers are with your family.
love, nicole marie.

rest in peace.

5rightsforchoice(10 comments)posted 5 years ago

may god be with you are your family in this tragic time

rip jabraya

6Bigben(1996 comments)posted 5 years ago

May the peace that passes all understanding be with the family.

7CandyfromCanfield(172 comments)posted 5 years ago

Deepest sympathy to Jabraya's family. May you find peace and healing at this most difficult time. We will keep you in our prayers.

8Ytownnative(1048 comments)posted 5 years ago

condolences to her family and friends.

9Ytownboy(142 comments)posted 5 years ago

RIP- a terrible tragedy.

10Shandre83(20 comments)posted 5 years ago

Im very sorry for your loss. It made me cry, but she's in a better place now. She will not be a stat of the city. This touched me and made me hug my daughters tighter tonight.

11tonyb2913(20 comments)posted 5 years ago

r.i.p im so sorry

12nane6(29 comments)posted 5 years ago

That was our "chocolate baby". We will always love her and will forever hold her in a special place in my heart. I love you Jabraya. Nane

13gdhowell(4 comments)posted 5 years ago

roses are red
violets are blue
heaven summoned for an angel
and god requested you
hearing about you from your granddad and reading
all the nice things
you will indeed be greatly missed
may god continue to bless,strengthened
encourage,heal and keep your precious family
in his devine will for their life. you left precious
memories for each one to cherish my heart goes
out to each and everyone from your grandparents
parent,sisters,brothers,neices,nephews,cousins,
aunts,uncles and friends . i see you daily,we have
your pictures on the refrigerator . love cheryl
your granddads wife.my family and coworkers
send their love to your family

14jordie6909(1 comment)posted 5 years ago

im so very sad right now, but in my sadness i know that Jabraya is in a happy place now with our beloved god and that makes me happy. she is safe and is looking down on us everyday. she is in my heart and i send love to the family<3

15albyrum(1 comment)posted 5 years ago

Jabraya was a beautiful, smart and kind girl. She was a joy to have in class. She will be missed by all. God bless her family, my thoughts and prayers are with you.

16EricaNH(2 comments)posted 5 years ago

Jabraya Howell has touched so many hearts in Cleveland, Ohio besides her family members. I was asked to put this on here..... Thankyou everybody for your deepest sympathy.......... GOD BLESS

17gdhowell(4 comments)posted 5 years ago

BLACK FUNERAL HOME
1951 MCGUFFEY RD.
YO. OH. 44505
1330) 744-7770

SAT. 10/31/09 @9:00

18woolyd(579 comments)posted 4 years, 12 months ago

I never met the girl but I offer my deepest sympathies for this sad loss. RIP JABRAYA

19volleymike(2 comments)posted 4 years, 12 months ago

On Behalf of the New Castle Young Family I send my condolences to her parents. She was my cousin and unfortunately I didn't have a chance to meet her, but from the wonderful words I've read she was a wonderful person. The blood the runs thru my vains is the same blood that ran thru her's from two brothers John and Grandville Young...Blood never thins out it just expands. Now you are one of our guardian angels..
Love & Appreciate You!
Michael J. Weaver-Lane Jr (great grandson of John Young)
Cincinnati, OH

20Reader(126 comments)posted 4 years, 12 months ago

my heart breaks for this family and the story moves me to tears. May her family find comfort and blessings as they try to navigate this earth with only her memories to hold tight.

21MAP1976(7 comments)posted 4 years, 12 months ago

Very sad. Always tragic to lose someone so young. Heard she was a very nice young lady with a wonderful family. My deepest sympathies to all who were close to her.

22mapat(5 comments)posted 4 years, 12 months ago

so sorry for the family, you all have our deepest sympathy, from the Murdock st. reunion committee, jackie ratliff pres.
dolores mclendon secretary, martel Davis allen treasurer