facebooktwitterRSS
- Advertisement -
  • Most Commentedmost commented up
  • Most Emailedmost emailed up
  • Popularmost popular up
- Advertisement -
 

« News Home

Approval of bond issue would make Austintown ‘flagship of education’



Published: Sun, October 18, 2009 @ 4:05 p.m.

By Jon Moffett

A replacement levy and school bond issue are before Austintown voters.

AUSTINTOWN — Township residents will be voting on more than just board members on Nov. 3; they also will decide some pocketbook issues.

The Austintown Local School District has a 2.9-mill bond issue on the ballot to raise the local share of a $50 million school expansion project, to replace the district’s elementary schools with two new buildings.

One building would house kindergarten through second grade, and the other would house grades 3-5.

The new buildings would be located on the current sites of Watson Elementary and Frank Ohl Intermediate schools and create a central campus.

The Ohio School Facilities Commission has secured about $23 million, or 47 percent of the total cost. The district would be responsible for the remaining 53 percent, or about $26 million.

“This would pave the way to have new schools and technology for every student, grades K-8,” said Superintendent Vince Colaluca. “It would do a lot for the students, and it would create a flagship of education in Austintown.”

The township, meanwhile, has placed a 0.6-mill replacement levy on the ballot, said Administrator Mike Dockry.

He said the purpose of the levy, which will raise $1.25 million over five years, is to replace lost millage from a 0.6-mill levy passed in 1979.

Read the full story Monday in The Vindicator and on Vindy.com.


Comments

1Bman(151 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

Why are these mammoth school buildings being used areawide? They do not work. Smaller, neigborhood-type, schools are the types which work. Public Ed is failing and smaller classes and schools are the way to go.

Suggest removal:

2janeyblue(227 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

A Big NO!!!

Suggest removal:

3metz87(884 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

They say it is th technology that needs upgraded. Why then do you needs a whole new building for that? Would you build a new house just because you got a new computer? Of course not. Any sane perosn will vote NO on this!

Suggest removal:

4KLee(18 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

All elementary buildings plus Frank Ohl will be razed if this passes. (After money is spent refurbishing Davis to hold kids during the transition.- I believe the state-AKA us taxpayers- kicks in for that.)16 classes per grade level will be the norm. People think it is bad now when there are grade-level programs. Imagine when there's 400 1st Graders performing a holiday musical. How many days will this event be spread out over to accomodate the parents? It'll have to run for a week. Not to mention how they'll pull off lunch for 400 Kindergarteners in a timely manner. They don't seem to grasp the maturity level of the children they are hoping to house in these buildings. The only positive I'm hearing from the staff is the seductive allure of air conditioning. Technology is nice, but it all costs money to keep it up.

Suggest removal:

5UnionForever(1470 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

No way can this expansion be supported. We don't have the personal incomes to pay more property taxes. Then they will need a lot more money to pay for operations of the extra employees, HVAC, larger buildings, etc.

NO NO NO.

Suggest removal:

6AKAFR1(322 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

A resounding NO!

Suggest removal:

7atownparent1(3 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

The Superintendent reports that technology will be increased, lol, Austintown has the worst web site in the area, the news is from last year, its never updated, you can't find anything, can't contact teachers and they pay one man just for that, vote NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Suggest removal:


News
Opinion
Entertainment
Sports
Marketplace
Classifieds
Records
Discussions
Community
Help
Forms
Neighbors

HomeTerms of UsePrivacy StatementAdvertiseStaff DirectoryHelp
© 2014 Vindy.com. All rights reserved. A service of The Vindicator.
107 Vindicator Square. Youngstown, OH 44503

Phone Main: 330.747.1471 • Interactive Advertising: 330.740.2955 • Classified Advertising: 330.746.6565
Sponsored Links: Vindy Wheels | Vindy Jobs | Vindy Homes | Pittsburgh International Airport