YSU is not coming up ‘aces’

Published: Sun, October 11, 2009 @ 12:00 a.m.

By Bertram de Souza (Contact)

By Bertram de Souza

In just a matter of weeks, Youngstown State University has gone from walking on a $5,275,000 cloud — the windfall from a 1,000-student enrollment increase — to staring into a fiscal abyss.

What happened? Only the expected.

First some background: This fall semester’s full-time enrollment is 14,682, which is about 1,000 students more than YSU had in the fall of 2008. It resulted in the 2009-10 budget of $150 million being boosted by $5.2 million. And, that had the university’s spin meisters tossing out verbal bouquets like the bonuses the administration, led by Dr. David Sweet, and seven of the eight members of the board of trustees gave to 400 employees.

Indeed, the financial windfall served to provide Sweet et al. with badly needed cover for the controversial and publicly embarrassing “gift” to members of the Association of Classified Employees. Each ACE member will receive a $4,500 bonus this year because of the enrollment increase.

But a funny thing happened on the way to the big spin: The university administration and the trustees found out that pride — in the enrollment increase — comes before a fall — in YSU’s fortunes.

On Saturday, Oct. 2, there was a front-page story with this headline: “State cuts, bonuses eat up new revenues.” The story stated that two-thirds of the extra revenue will be gobbled up by the reduction in state funding, while the rest will end up in the pockets of the ACE union members who are being rewarded for doing such a great job in recruiting new students.

Sarcasm

On Sept. 20, in reaction to another news story that detailed the bonus provision in the contract, a column appeared in this space with the headline “‘Come to YSU, we even have computers.’” The piece oozed sarcasm about the role employees in the ACE union played in the enrollment campaign.

The column attracted dozens of comments on Vindy.com, The Vindicator’s website, and several e-mails to this writer.

The following one certainly was an attention grabber:

“hey bert nice job on the a.c.e. workers at ysu...now show some gonads which u lack when it comes to going after the big bois in town an name the board members who ok’d the contract. if not for them the workers would not have gotten the money. btw bet u wouldn’t turn down 4500 if your bosses said sell me more papers an we will give u a raise. lets see the names bert an the story behind it.”

The vote by the board of trustees for the ACE contract on July 30, 2008, was 7-1. The lone dissenter was Harry Meshel, a long-time Democratic Party pol and former president of the Ohio Senate. Meshel warned that the university was being “overly generous” in the contract.

The seven trustees who voted yes were: Scott Schulick, Atty. John Pogue, Dr. H.S. Wang, Larry DeJane, Millicent Counts, Dr. Sudershan Garg and Dr. Dianne Bitonte Miladore.

As to why they were willing to go along with such an indefensible contract, consider the statement of President Sweet:

“The approval of this contract is yet another reason to celebrate as YSU marks its centennial year.” He added that it was “a step forward in improving and continuing to improve labor-management relations.”

Maldonado’s take

And there was this from then ACE President Ivan Maldonado: “This contract reflects a new era in labor relations at YSU. It’s a new day. We’re moving forward.”

Where’s Ivan today? Go to Vindy.com and do a search for him. Quite a story.

The Sept. 20 column also triggered this response:

“I am so sick seeing the State handing over bushels of OUR money to institutions like YSU and then letting administrators hand it out like candy to staff just to keep staff as supporters to ensure they keep their own overpaid positions. Its like the newly elected politicians paying back campaign workers. What happened to the state budget crisis?”

And this:

“Keep up the good work exposing the predatory unions and their greed at YSU. You seem to be the only one who cares, even among those students and taxpayers who are getting the big time rip-off. Those who are supposed to be providing oversight seem to have their heads in the sand. Or, maybe they just want to be “team players.”

Why are the keepers of the public purse so blind to economic realities?

Comments

1pit_bull_marley(291 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

Another happy ending for the union(s)...Glad I work for a union free company...Then I can greeze my own pocket

2crlbk1052(99 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

If tearing down unions is the only way you can sell a newspaper, shame on all of you. Mr. Bertram needs a life and should get his facts straight before he comments. Does the public not remember that his significant other/wife/whatever she is, once worked for the fine university he insists on ripping apart? I am sure she took ALL the perks offered to her. It is NOT necessary to continue to drag a person's name through his Vitriolic tirade. Get a LIFE Bertram, and stop being so vindictive. The name alone, Vindicator, tells one that you are nothing but jealous and work for a vindictive organization, that BTW, also hates Unions. No wonder people don't buy newspapers anymore, why spend money on your spiteful comments. People want to hear good things not malicious statements that are 99% UNTRUE!

3jmpt37(43 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

Sounds like those bonuses they gave was a really good idea.

4peteepete(1 comment)posted 4 years, 9 months ago

Nice to see this story going on the back burner of peoples thoughts. There is definitely more important things in life! To your column, and the quotes within, don't be jealous. Jealousy is not becoming of anyone. No worker is overpaid. In this society, we as workers are ALL underpaid. The university isn't going anywhere. The students will still come. Jobs will still be created here, and people will still apply by the truck loads to get one. It's more often not 'who you know', rather, it's WHAT you know! So come down folks and start a great education! Work here part-time as student if you can. Apply here for everything. Don't give up! It's worked for a lot of us. I believe the university will continue to grow and will be a bright beacon of our valley for decades to come!

5peteepete2(1 comment)posted 4 years, 9 months ago

Unfortunately, sometimes it IS who you know. I have my suspicions. My advice? Come down to campus and get to know as many people you can! Inquire about jobs, events, etc, and be friendly with the people who work here. In fact, MAKE friends! Again, have a GOOD WORKING KNOWLEDGE of the position you are applying for here! I want the campus to grow, and I want to see more of my fellow citizens working here too!!

GOOD LUCK!!

6thetruth6469(4 comments)posted 4 years, 9 months ago

I also have strong suspicions with a new hire in the maintenance department. My advantage is people like to talk and brag etc. So what I'm hearing only further cements my suspicions. I feel bad for the applicants who I don't think had a 'fair' advantage of knowing someone on the inside within the maintenance department. Hopefully what comes around goes around and everyone had their just deserts!

EAT IT!

7thetruth6469(4 comments)posted 4 years, 9 months ago

ahem, HAS thier just deserts!

I hope it taste as crappy as I feel about the situation too!

8thetruth6469(4 comments)posted 4 years, 9 months ago

I know what I've seen. I know that I've heard. Luckily the people involved just LOVE to talk etc. I hope they know that one can NEVER know WHO or WHAT is listening. The evidence is mounting with every breath.

9thetruth6469(4 comments)posted 4 years, 9 months ago

To the parties involved; I know WHO you are. I can testify to what I've seen and heard. Period. Sleep tight.