Animal-rights group plans circus protest at school

Published: Thu, October 8, 2009 @ 12:10 p.m.

CLEVELAND (AP) — Officials say they’ll bolster security outside a Cleveland elementary school to foil animal rights activists from confronting children.

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, or PETA, planned to station a person dressed as a banged-up circus elephant outside Marion-Sterling Elementary School this afternoon. The group will try to give out brochures with images of elephants the activists claim were abused by the Ringling Brothers, Barnum & Bailey Circus, coming soon to Cleveland.

School district spokeswoman Angela Buford says the protest could traumatize the students. PETA says what’s disturbing are the tactics of circuses.

Ringling spokesman Steve Payne calls PETA’s plan a “cheap stunt” and says the circus is involved in elephant conservation.

Comments

1Ginger76(178 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

I knew at an early age that the circus was wrong. As a little girl in the Struthers Field House, I sat there and thought....this doesn't seem right.

Its beyond barbaric.

2venuschild(21 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

PETA SUCKS! THey go overboard and over inflate the facts!

3Search4Answers(722 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

Is going to a school for a political stunt really the best idea? Are they going to have the naked girls covered only by a cardboard sign infront of the school too? And people say the Tea Party people are crazy... I haven't yet seen even the lowest protestors on either side of the healthcare debate stoop to protesting in front of school children.

4Ginger76(178 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

I just want the Circus to stop.

5Ginger76(178 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

Ginger, what is more inhumane, animals who are well fed and treated or human beings violently murdered in the womb?

Are people superior to animals?
--------------------
Im not getting into the abortion debate. Its not my issue. My issue is that the circus needs to stop.

And yes, my dogs are superior to most humans...
We are the most destructive species on earth and manage to ruin each other, ourselves and anything in our way.

6JeffLebowski(953 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

People like this Ginger walk among us, friends. Keep that in mind and be afraid.

7JeffLebowski(953 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

"Poverty? No. War? No. Crime? No. My issue is that the circus needs to stop" is going on a T-shirt that I'll sell on the Internet.

8Ginger76(178 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

Im not a PETA member....Im not confused.

We were given "dominion" not a card for destruction, rape and pillage of the land...but the white man already did that....

Please do not lump people who love their dogs/cats/elephants whatever into the PETA category.

I volunteer for a very small grass roots rescue and see what people do to them everyday.

Back to my point of the Circus. They banned it in Europe, we are so backwards here that the thought of taking exotic animals and "training" them to jump through rings of fire as entertainment is beyond me. My kids will know better.

Poverty...do better. (I have 2 jobs)
War....thats beyond me
Crime....teach your childen to do better, that starts at home.

9Search4Answers(722 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

"rape and pillage of the land...but the white man already did that...."

This blaming the white man is starting to sound like what Hitler did to the Jews.

10JeffLebowski(953 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

Ma'am,

You've clearly missed my point (seemingly along with many key points throughout life). People don't make poverty "their issue" because they, themselves, have jobs. Nor do they focus on crime because of their lack of ties to criminals. They focus on these issues because there are poor people committing crimes against decent people and they'd like it to stop and because they hope to avoid being a victim.

If you don't support circuses a simple solution would be...DON'T PATRONIZE THEM. To assert that the existence of circuses ranks anywhere near real-life problems like crime is mind-numbingly stupid. When elephants start holding up gas stations because they can't find work let me know, I promise I’ll pay attention at that point.

11Ginger76(178 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

Im not sure where to start on my/your comments.

I was just making a far reaching joke. Apparently some people need here in town need a hug

I choose animal welfare causes because people let you down far too often.

How can I be a sexist racist when I am white...thats really funny....

12aeparish(669 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

Ginger ... Are you trying to say that because you're white, it's impossible to be sexist and/or racist?

13JeffLebowski(953 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

I don't believe you were joking, Ginger. I'm sure you've spoken with your dogs regarding our comments in this forum, what do they have to say about all this? Are they outraged? Respectfully in disagreement?

14Ginger76(178 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

o jesus people!

I mentioned the white man...thats why I am referring to the racist comment. Nevermind...

Im not getting into a history debate either...I fully aware of what the human race is capable of.

I mentioned before, I am not a PETA member/supporter. I prefer grass roots...you get more done this way.

15Ginger76(178 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

Jeff,

My dogs are too busy..its nap time.

16JeffLebowski(953 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

I'm sure that last bit was a zinger on your home planet, Ginger. Touché.

17Ginger76(178 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

Yep, my compassion is out of this world.

What a shame.

18Lesthanzero(35 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

Somewhere in Africa, a leopard kills an antelope for dinner, because its hunger "needs to stop" for a few days. Somewhere in Youngstown, a homeowner crushes a cockroach, because the pest's ceaseless breeding "needs to stop." Somewhere in Cleveland, schoolchildren await the arrival of animals that are trained, fed, and loved in order to entertain them. If that stops, the animals will likely be euthanized (not a problem for PeTA, apparently). Nature is cruelly indifferent to suffering; if humans stopped "mistreating" animals today, animals would still be killing each other. Though Ginger is not a member, does she realize that PeTA is out to liberate her pets from her cruel, domineering "ownership?"

19Stan(9923 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

So Ginger your keeping of animals for your own personal entertainment is OK ? Release them so that they can become free ! Totally free ! Ah yes , feral cats and dog packs roaming the land !

20here(17 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

Did I miss something? Why was abortion brought up after an article about animal rights? And is it possible that Ginger is not a member of PETA partly because she disagrees with their stance on home pets?

I don't think the circus should be brought to the school, but I also think PETA is absolutely insane for thinking it's a good idea to pass out pictures of abused animals to elementary school students. They take the issue way to far and do more harm than good.. Someone like Ginger who seems to have a realistic approach to addressing animal welfare is automatically grouped together with those psychos.

21jmpt37(43 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

Hey i belong to PETA that is People Eating Tasty Animals. Wow i though the pishkur getting $9000 a week was funny this may be even funnier than that LMAO!!!!!!!!

22ads(109 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

Some of you people are so out of line. Thank goodness "here" commented. I too am against the circus. The comparison of animals surviving in the wild as nature was meant, to having wild animals "entertain" us at the circus and letting all domesticated animals run free is ridiculous. PETA is an extreme group that I do not agree with but I do agree with Ginger, animals need to be gone from the circus. And remember people we all have the right to freedom of speech, not that I expect anything less from this group but being slammed for my opinion!

23Alexinytown(246 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

• While I understand the premise behind what PETA is getting at, I seriously question the judgment of doing this kind of demonstration in front of an elementary school that houses kids who may be as young as six years old. Children of that age do not need exposure to these kinds of issues, and frankly, having seen some of the material passed out by PETA, it can be very traumatizing to minds that young. I agree, I am not a fan of the circus. I consider myself an animal lover and in my opinion people who treat animals badly deserve a beating, and that is putting it kindly. But to hold this kind of demonstration in front of kids this young? This is the wrong thing to do. Kids that young do not need to see these kinds of images, and the end result is going to be a lot of upset children and ton of angry parents. Sometimes I wonder if common sense has gone out the window anymore.

24AXLE69(181 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

I don`t have a problem getting into an abortion debate even though this is a story about the circus.When I think of the circus, the teabaggers certainly come to mind but that`s a post for another day.It`s rather disturbing that conservatives like Pro-American spend their time wanting to outlaw abortion but wholly support a health care system that permits the insurance industry to determine who lives and dies on a daily basis including children."Why our health care system is just fine and dandy",they bellow and by the way let`s high five one another when a doctor is murdered in his church on a Sunday morning.Conservative hypocrisy at it`s finest.You`re right Alex,common sense with these folks flew out the window years ago.lol

25FrankDavis(35 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

There's plenty of room for all God's creatures...right next to my mashed potatoes.

26Prince09(3 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

Seriously, everyone is entitled to thier views. While reading this I couldn't help but notice how one person (ginger76) makes a comment about her view of the circus, and you take that comment and get on the abortion, racist, sexiest. Seems to me that the people commenting in this forum's are the same people again and again that want to start arguements. While my view my be different than yours Ginger on the circus, kudos to you for sticking up for yourself.

27jmpt37(43 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

I agree with ya FrankDavis, it should be changed to People Eating Tasty Animals. They always have a safe place next to my mashed potatoes. Hey dont get me wrong i love animals, i dont eat my dog.

28AXLE69(181 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

The insurance cartel kills people every day by denying them coverage,but that`s just part of the the business,right Pro-American? That`s where the real death panels are operating instead of in the feeble minds of the conservatives.Of course, you never had to worry about that because you had great insurance benefits for 24 yrs thanks to the UAW but I`m sure you believe it was the generosity of your former employer,General Motors.I notice you didn`t comment on the murders of doctors who provide legal medical procedures by the whacky pro-life killers?How do you feel when they kill someone?Do you raise a glass like Randall Terry? I`m sure as a self avowed pro-american dyed in the wool conservative you are all for law and order and want someone like the maniac that killed Dr.Tiller executed right?

29Silly(41 comments)posted 4 years, 10 months ago

Umm.. ProAmerican.. Bush himself had over 40 czars.. So you can drop that fact..

Just like every organization PETA has its bad points.. And to some - they are not bad.. But they also have a lot of good ones that always go unnoticed.. So you may want to do some fact checking into that one.. Because I am sure they don't tel you that on FOX News..